Drooling.

That is what I am doing just thinking about these amazing cookie bars.

This is another recipe off of Picky Palate and I really think that Jenny may be a genius. I must admit that I did not follow her suggestion of preparing the cookie doughs ahead of time and just made them right before. Big mistake. I kicked a few cabinets and sweat for a few hours as I washed my mixing bowl 3 times, but it is TOTALLY worth it. Promise.

These are absolutely amazing. Huge understatment.

She recommends used store bought sugar cookie dough.

IMG_0927

I wanted to make my own, but thank goodness I didn’t because these took a looooooooong time to make. But make sure you set the cookie dough out ahead of time, or else it is impossible to play with.

These may be a couple of finger marks – made out of frustration.

IMG_0930

First up is the double chocolate-chip layer. WOW is this RICH.

IMG_0931

IMG_0932

IMG_0934

IMG_0935

She recommends only making half of the recipe, but I made the entire thing. I figured I could fill up the cookie jar, which is already empty again. This morning, my husband asked me ‘who ate all the cookies?’

Like I really have a good answer for that. We live alone. No pets. No kids. Just turkeys and framed wrestlers. How embarrassing.

’Ummmm, I may have eaten a few cookies…’

That’s also quite the understatement. It’s not even funny.

This is just one tiny corner of my kitchen after the first cookie dough was made.

IMG_0936

Talk about a mess.

Here is what the first layer of cookie dough looked like.

IMG_0945

And then the second – double chocolate chip – over the sugar cookie dough.

IMG_0946

It was hard to get a clear picture of the dough because it was THAT dark.

IMG_0947

Doesn’t it almost look like ice cream??

The next layer was peanut butter cookies – and I was rebellious and used natural peanut butter.

IMG_0950

IMG_0952

IMG_0953

More specifically I used Naturally More, which has flaxseeds in it. I thought it would add a nice crunch, and it really did.

The last batch was good ol’ chocolate chip dough.

IMG_0954

IMG_0956

IMG_0959

My mom would kill me if she saw that imitation vanilla. She always uses the good stuff. Mother Lovett actually used the imitation.

There is a reason I use the imitation.

One time my husband saw me add vanilla to a french toast mixture. He makes french toast using whole wheat english muffins and egg whites (very yummy). He makes this almost every morning. We once went through a bottle of vanilla in 3 days. He said he had to been adding it to his egg whites.

I caught him making it one time and watched him pour $2.00 worth of vanilla into the mix.

He doesn’t get it.

This looks like a wave of cookie dough crashing over the shore.

IMG_0960

And here is my leftover dough – which was promptly used.

IMG_0964

IMG_0965

And consumed.

Four layer cookie bars. Wow.

IMG_0968

IMG_0971

Still drooling.

Melt a bit of chocolate on top and you’re ready to go.

IMG_0981

IMG_0983

Check over here for the recipe, because it is very long and I’m too hungry to type.

I don’t have any more words.

Oh yeah, except that the cookie jar WAS full.

IMG_0976

IMG_0977

IMG_0985

I have proof. That’s even more embarrassing.

19 Responses to “Drooling.”

Barbara — October 1, 2009 @ 3:36 pm

These look wonderful! I’m a messy cook too- makes for a better result!

peanutbutterfingers — October 1, 2009 @ 3:54 pm

you bake the best looking goodies!!! thank goodness i don’t live with you or i’d turn into a cow. mooooooooo!

DiningAndDishing — October 1, 2009 @ 4:01 pm

oh my goodness those look delish!! i think it’s very good i don’t have a batch of those anywhere near me right now :O)

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

Lindsay — October 1, 2009 @ 4:07 pm

I saw that recipe on Picky Palate and thought it sounded fantastic! I’m glad they were as good as they sound.

eatingmachine — October 1, 2009 @ 4:41 pm

that looks AMAZING. love it.

Lindsey @ Sound Eats — October 1, 2009 @ 5:13 pm

Oh my gosh these look unbelievably amazing. 4 kinds of cookie dough in one bar? Gah, I hate to say it, but I don’t think I ever would have thought of it!

Nicole — October 1, 2009 @ 5:58 pm

I saw these too! Very impressive. Looks like it was worth the work. If I made these I’d have to bring them to the office or I’d eat them all in one night!

You make so many good treats!

glidingcalm — October 1, 2009 @ 7:01 pm

oh wow!!! that looks soooo yummy

Abby — October 1, 2009 @ 8:23 pm

WOW.. pretty decadent! Hope you enjoyed your goodies! :)

Jen (Running With Cake) — October 1, 2009 @ 9:04 pm

Wow those bars look awesome! Seems like a great recipe for a holiday cookie exchange. They remind me of a 7-layer bar.

Amanda — October 1, 2009 @ 11:10 pm

I dont even know how to respond to this recipe. Really? Is this even legal?? I feel like I need to rush out and by all the ingredients immediately and make this and then eat IT ALL.

WOW.

Amazing. You made your beautifully BTW!

Blessings-
    Amanda

Jenny Flake — October 1, 2009 @ 11:10 pm

So glad you enjoyed them as much as we did! They do take a little effort, but totally worth it in my opinion! Beautiful step by step photos too! Thanks for linking back to Picky Palate :)

Lele — October 1, 2009 @ 11:26 pm

I think that is the most delicious looking thing I have ever seen.
    I’m trying to decide on the Ultimate Birthday dessert for my birthday next week… this is a contender.

Optimista — October 2, 2009 @ 9:21 am

Oh, WOW. These look incredible! Thanks for the comment on my blog, Jessica – I found yours through it and I love it! Gotta make these cookie bars, now (*I’m* drooling just thinking about them!)…and those roasted garlic gorgonzola mashed potatoes…holy wow!!!

bluestocking — October 2, 2009 @ 4:09 pm

Good grief! Are you trying to kill me? I think it’s the addition of the peanut butter that really does it.

Oh, and I have to laugh at your husband asking that. Mine does the same thing. Of course, I have a daughter so I can sometimes blame it on her.

messybaker — October 2, 2009 @ 7:50 pm

LOVE the mess! And love anyone who embraces messy baking! Your cookie bars and cookies look delicious – my hubby would propose to me all over again if I made these, so I’m definitely going to have to try them out.

veggiebooty — October 3, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

I’ve been beyond on my blog-reading and just looked at this one, and O.M.G.!!!! My mouth is watering. Wow. Thank you for sharing ;-)

Rachel — October 3, 2009 @ 7:25 pm

Wow! Found you from my friends list on Tasty Kitchen and now I can’t wait to make these someday soon!!!

Jill — September 20, 2011 @ 10:34 am

I’m drooling too. And I think I just heard angels sing. I’m hungry (and I’m currently eating The Best Banana Bread. Ever.) :)