Last weekend, my hubby and I went to a very non-traditional wedding. It was outdoors (talk about freezing!), where the bride and groom were married by a professional actor and the music came from a boom box.

I took away so much from this day – that it isn’t about having a traditional cake (they had cupcakes) or about wearing the most glamourous dress. These 2 people were SO in love. And while I already knew that the above doesn’t make for a happy marriage, it was so refreshing to see a couple so in love that they barely were aware of their surroundings.

The food was INCREDIBLE. Hands down – the best wedding food I have ever eaten. The main course was butternut squash ravioli and bone-in lightly fried chicken breast. Ohmigosh, I can taste it now. Incredible. The cake, or ‘cupcakes’ were amazing as well – so amazing that before the reception even started my husband grabbed one and confidently walked across the room shoving it in his mouth.

He ATE their wedding cake BEFORE they even cut it.

Before the reception had began. I guess he really just isn’t up to speed on modern weddings. Oh well.

I guess I have to forgive him.

Because today marks our ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY! One year ago today it was a gorgeous, clear 78 degrees in Pittsburgh. I squeezed into a dress that, I pray to God, I will be able to fit in for the rest of my life.

Today we are spending our anniversary in Cleveland, Ohio because my youngest brother is on John Carroll University’s homecoming court. Cross your finger’s for the win.

I wouldn’t have it any other way. I’ve mentioned before how amazing my entire family is, so the addition of my perfect hubby just made it even more amazing. And I think they all agree. Sure, we will have a romatic date, perhaps a weekend away soon, but I like celebrating this day with family – just like we did one year ago.

We had a very traditional, perfect-to-me, wedding. And I did stop and pinch myself a few times that day and remind myself to relish in the moment. I did as best I could. In honor our anniversary, I’d like to share with you some of my favorite pictures from that day – one of the best of my life!

(Note: all photos were taken by the incredibly talented David Burke. If you are in Pittsburgh or need a destination photographer, I’d highly suggest using him. He is fabulous!)

A kiss from my grandma. With Mother Lovett squeezing in the picture on the lower right.

My shoes.

Grandparents.

Mother Lovett with my brothers.

Seconds before going down the aisle.

The church.

One of my all-time favorite photos.

Honky Tonk Ba Donk a Donk.

Man & Wife.

Do you think I like pink?

More faves.

A table with our favor – a donation to the local food bank.

Our cake – chocolate cake with chocolate fudge filling, white chocolate icing and white chocolate curls.

I wanted it to look like someone puked pink all of the room. It did.

The cookie room.

Ok, I’ve heard this is a ‘Pittsburgh thing.’ I have no idea. Does anyone else have cookie tables? I needed a room. Because I’m a pig.

First dance.

The other man in my life.

Some necessary partying.

See ya later!

23 Responses to “The First Year.”

VeggieGirl — October 10, 2009 @ 7:34 am

SO beautiful.

April — October 10, 2009 @ 7:50 am

Wow, what a gorgeous wedding! I thought I was looking in a magazine! That church was amazing!

The Candid RD — October 10, 2009 @ 8:34 am

Such fantastic pictures!!! You look beautiful, and yes, it does look like someone puked pink, you succeeded! I like it though, I love pink.
    How funny that you husband ate a cupcake before even the bride and groom!!! I don’t know what I would do if Nick did that…I’d hope to heck no one noticed (then I’d get a little jealous, as I am obsessed with wedding cakes/cupcakes, whatever!).
    Your wedding cake sounds delicious. I’m assuming it’s your picture on the title of your blog?! It’s gorgeous.

justrun — October 10, 2009 @ 9:33 am

Looks like the perfect day! Happy Anniversary!

Abby — October 10, 2009 @ 9:50 am

BEAUTIFUL pics.. Where in the burgh did you get married??? PS. i got married in July down in NC (but as you know Im a northerner) We had to get permission from the hotel for a cookie table at the reception! They had no clue what it was!! It turned out to be a big hit, but yeah must be a western PA thing!
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY :)

Lindsay — October 10, 2009 @ 10:34 am

Happy Anniversary! Your pictures are beautiful! I love your dress! I’ve never heard of having a cookie table (or even better, a room) but it sounds like a pretty fantastic idea to me!

Roberta — October 10, 2009 @ 10:49 am

First off…Happy Anniversary! Loved all the georgous photos…but I’m confused? I thought you lived in the midwest…lol Why did you get married in Pittsburgh? I’m curious because my son just got married here in Charlotte, NC this past June and they have just relocated to Pittsburgh because my son got a job working for US Air. So far they are loving it so if you have any good suggestions for taking in the sites, please let me know. Here in Charlotte…Candy Bars are the latest and greatest party favor thang…but I have heard of cookie bars as well. Propbably because of all the wedding preparations we were doing. Have a great Anniversary, fondly, Roberta

Courtney F — October 10, 2009 @ 11:39 am

HAPPY HAPPY 1 year!! Isn’t marriage great?!?!? I always ahd this picture of marriage in my head, but in real life it is better than I thought! We are newbies too. Just a little over a year and a half.
    HAVE A GREAT ANNIVERSARY!!

Tasha - The Clean Eating Mama — October 10, 2009 @ 11:45 am

Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! We just celebrated our first on the 3rd! :)
    Healthy eating!
    Tasha

eatingmachine — October 10, 2009 @ 12:18 pm

gorgeous wedding! your hair is so pretty (i have long hair that i’m trying to figure out what to do with for my wedding next summer-i kinda think i want it just like yours was :-) )

Barbara — October 10, 2009 @ 1:58 pm

I enjoyed that so much. Happy Anniversary!

Amanda — October 10, 2009 @ 7:28 pm

This is so sweet it had me all teary!! And I have to admit, it was fun saying

honky tonk ba donka donk

out loud. :)

Thanks for this sweet moment… it was a pleasure seeing your wonderful day!!

Happy Anniversary!!!

Blessings-
    Amanda

Kristy — October 10, 2009 @ 11:38 pm

OMG you just my be the smartest cookie in the world… I’ve heard of dessert rooms at weddings… but never a cookie room! OMG I FREAKIN LOVE IT! my sister has a wedding blog… i just might have to pass this along to her!

Happy Anniversary! Hope many more happy years are to come!

-Kristy

Kelly — October 11, 2009 @ 7:32 am

Happy Anniversary! Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous and I love pink too so obviously I am obsessed with your wedding :)

Also seriously laughed out loud that your husband ate a cupcake before they “cut” the cake. I can really understand how that would happen though, I mean seriously- it’s more clear with a cake that you need to wait, a cupcake = less clear haha

savoringsarah — October 11, 2009 @ 6:26 pm

Soooo so so so gorgeous. Thanks for sharing. I love the line “wanted it to look like someone puked pink all over the room”!! HAHA! Classic :)

Apple Bottom Genes — October 11, 2009 @ 11:00 pm

Happy 1st Anniversary!! They go by so fast from there…our 4th is in December and it’s just getting better :)! Your wedding was gorgeous and you two were glowing. I especially loved the framed table numbers.

Tara — October 11, 2009 @ 11:51 pm

So fun! Happy Anniversary!

stephchows — October 12, 2009 @ 9:27 am

awwww! happy one year anniversary!! A cookie room?? you’re my hero :) And your dress is gorgeous!

One Healthy Apple — October 12, 2009 @ 6:27 pm

Aww- what a gorgeous wedding. I love the booty shot- my favorite part of wedding dresses is always the back!

David Burke — October 14, 2009 @ 3:04 pm

Hi Jessica! Great post! Your wedding images bring back some happy memories! It was such a beautiful day and such a pleasure to be there. Thank you for the kind words too! You are such a beautiful bride and Ed.. Handsome man!

I am excited to see where your blogging takes you!

David Burke

Amy from She Wears Many Hats — February 12, 2010 @ 7:07 am

Great pictures! You’re so lovely Jessica – a beautiful bride!

21.1
    Jessica — October 12, 2009 @ 3:29 pm

Yes it is that picture! I’d like to change it but am too indecisive.

1. Pingback: A Mother Lovett Kind Of Weekend. « How Sweet It Is