Update your google readers: http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

Last night we went to the Capitol Grille for a belated birthday celebration, since last week I spent my birthday baking cupcakes.

Have you ever been to the Capitol Grille?

Love it.

I started the evening with many glasses of ice cold pinot grigio.

wine1

Can I just say how horrified my husband was that I was taking pictures in an expensive restaurant? It was a bit obnoxious, so I tried to be discreet by taking them with my crackberry. Unfortunately, that meant I missed pictures with our friends, Cindy and Nick. Next time!

I have mentioned before that I do not really like bread. This was an exception. I was starving, and it was warm. I had no chance.

Parmesan bread:

bread1

Multigrain:

bread2

It was totally worth it.

We had one of our favorite appetizers – the calamari. It comes with jalapenos and red cherry peppers. Best calamari I have EVER had.

calimari

And although I have a strong aversion to meat, I could not pass up this beef tenderloin with butter poached lobster.

beef

The word ‘butter’ must have drawn me in.

They served us a free dessert – one we chose from the menu. We could not make up our minds. We went with the cheesecake.

dessert

It was fantastic. The top had a crunchy, sugary crust. Phenomenal.

Since we are 85 years old were exhausted, we came home and crashed. I had a big day ahead of me, since I harassed talked my husband into decorating for Christmas today. Well, beginning to decorate. Just call us The Griswald’s. We have 2 trees, one that takes up the entire family room. Classy.

My husband didn’t want to decorate. He tried to convince me that he wanted to celebrate Thanksgiving, and thought we should decorate with Pilgrims. Don’t we have enough decorations?

I found these as I was shopping.

pilgrims

I did not buy them. Having the turkey in my house is punishment enough.

I drank my first peppermint mocha of the season. It was sugary, fattening, delicious and made me jittery the rest of the day.

IMG00096-20091115-1220

Tis’ the season!

Happy Sunday. :)

Don’t forget to update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

36 Responses to “My Favorite Meal.”

Mandy — November 15, 2009 @ 7:26 pm

Nummy nummy calamari! Our favorite calamari ever is from here:

Your’s sounds amazing as well! I think the acid and heat of the peppers makes all the difference.

Happy belated birthday!

xoxo

Nicole — November 15, 2009 @ 7:35 pm

i love decorating for christmas as well – I’m doing it next weekend!

kay (eating machine) — November 15, 2009 @ 7:39 pm

calamari is one of the best appetizer choices.

but only when it’s deep fried.

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) — November 15, 2009 @ 7:46 pm

That beef tenderloin looks amazing! I love Christmas decorating too :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — November 15, 2009 @ 8:05 pm

I love Capital Grill! It’s one of my favorite restaurants :)

The Candid RD — November 15, 2009 @ 8:43 pm

Oh Nick used to get so annoyed with me for taking pictures at the dinner table, especially when eating out. Now he doesn’t mind at all, in fact he reminds me! Maybe your hubbie will change :)

The food looks amazing! I love calamari.

Shelley — November 15, 2009 @ 9:43 pm

haha peppermint mocha– sounds like an AMAZING indulgence! & that is so funny about your husband- my boyfriend also gtes super embarassed when i take pix in public- esp nice public places! he just kind of laughs at me mostly :)

xox
    shelley

katie — November 15, 2009 @ 10:06 pm

girl that meal looks awesome!! and STARBUCKS PEPPERMINT MOCHA=my FAV starbucks drink ever!! totally worth all the sugar!

One Healthy Apple — November 15, 2009 @ 10:29 pm

I have yet to order my first holiday mocha- I was all over the pumpkin spice nonsense, but peppermint is the real deal!

sophia — November 15, 2009 @ 10:42 pm

Strong aversion to meat? Lol, I totally cracked up when you said that and ordered that delicious looking beef! I guess everyone has their carnivorous moments. ;-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — November 16, 2009 @ 12:58 am

This:horrified my husband was that I was taking pictures in an expensive restaurant

Girl…I have always wondered how people do it with no shame. I dont ever go out anymore but if I did, I dont think i could. I think the crackberry is a nice balance of being over the top and missing food pics. What we do for the name of our blogs, huh!

Happy belated Bday of course!!!!

Melinda — November 16, 2009 @ 3:12 am

I love Capitol Grille, the lobster mac is delish. Glad you had a great dinner there.

VeggieGirl — November 16, 2009 @ 4:58 am

Stellar meal!! Capitol Grille is always a great choice.

Cute decorations!

And… HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!! :)

Duchess of Fork — November 16, 2009 @ 5:47 am

My husband used to live in DC and he LOVES the Capitol Grille! We went there on our first trip together to NYC, also…ahh the memories. :)

Amy J in SC — November 16, 2009 @ 6:11 am

I have to think that would make a favorite on many a list. Yum!

Amanda — November 16, 2009 @ 6:14 am

That steak looks GOOD. ANd I cant wait to see your Christmas decorations… I LOVE Christmas!

Many blessings-
    Amanda

Abby (Abbys Vegan Eats) — November 16, 2009 @ 6:20 am

LOL I totally just posted about the awkwardness of taking pics in restaurants (ya almost got the boot in one this weekend) sooo props to you. Hey, you’re paying ot be there.. whatev… snap away!! :)

That multigrain bread looks freaking awesome, hope you enjoyed your belated b-day!!

Jenny — November 16, 2009 @ 6:29 am

First of all, Happy Belated Birthday!

And holy cow, that looks like an AWESOME dinner. I am totally and completely in love with calamari- and you pretty much had them Rhodey Style! ;) I had to laugh because my bf is mortified when I whip out the camera at any restaurant!

Sadly, I can quote “Christmas Vacation” word for word. No joke.
    “They want YOU to say GRACE.”
    “Grace? She died thirty years ago.”
    “The BLESSING!”
    See? Oy. Gosh, I can’t wait to see this ASAP! :)

Yum Yucky — November 16, 2009 @ 6:58 am

Parmesan bread? Never heard of it. And you know I want it now, right?

As for calamari. I used to love it till the breading came off one day and I saw what was underneath. Ack!

• Jessica — November 16th, 2009 @ 6:59 am

I just don’t look at it when I eat it. Especially the ones with the tentacles. I can never eat those.

brandi — November 16, 2009 @ 7:10 am

we never decorate until after Thanksgiving, but we don’t decorate in our house anyways. We have no place to store holiday stuff! Another reason to look forward to our next place.

love peppermint mochas :)

• Jessica — November 16th, 2009 @ 7:23 am

We didn’t decorate last year – but a few days before Christmas my hubby surprised me by putting up a tree! It was so wonderful. I would hate to not decorate!

Kelly from Bridges and Bites — November 16, 2009 @ 7:29 am

Haha! My husband hates it when I take pictures in restaurants too!!! Only rarely do I use my actual camera — I try and be discrete with my blackberry as well.

Morgan — November 16, 2009 @ 7:33 am

Sounds like you had a great birthday celebration.
    Maybe you should dress up the turkey this year. Really obnoxious though, like with a feather boa.

• Jessica — November 16th, 2009 @ 7:40 am

Hahahah! I totally should!

Mellissa — November 16, 2009 @ 7:34 am

I have been to Capital Grille but it does look delicious!

Paige (running around normal) — November 16, 2009 @ 7:59 am

Ooh that looks delicious!

Evan Thomas — November 16, 2009 @ 8:11 am

That restaurant looks delicious. i don’t think I’ve had calimari in a while

JK — November 16, 2009 @ 8:53 am

LOL!! I’ve subjected my friends to many of those embarrassing-let-me-take-a-picture-of-every-dish-no-matter-what-type-of-restaurant-I’m-at moments.. :P Fun stuff.. & I love the SB Peppermint Mocha!

Low — November 16, 2009 @ 9:58 am

That restaurant sounds like a wonderful place! Glad you had a good meal :)

Nicole (dishin') — November 16, 2009 @ 2:15 pm

Oh yum! I was there last week with work and it’s just amazing. If you didn’t get the scalloped potatoes, get them next time…they are out of this world!!

Amanda — November 16, 2009 @ 2:20 pm

Now that you’ve mentioned the Griswold’s I’m going to use that as an excuse to begin watching the movie. Next to watching Rudolph it’s a family tradition! Most years we watch it a minimum of oh five or so times before Christmas.

Bianca — November 16, 2009 @ 2:31 pm

The good thing is that you can have the peppermint mocha year round at starbucks since they carry the peppermint syrup at all times. I’ve indulged in the high calorie signature hot chocolate. So bad for me yet so yummy. I was happier consuming them last year when I went to NYC for Thanksgiving, at least I could walk it off!

Katie — November 16, 2009 @ 3:48 pm

Capital Grille has the best lobster mac n cheese and parmesan truffle fries!! You have to try those next time!! Your food loooked amazing!!! Funny about you taking pics, my fiance and I went to a upscale place on Friday night and I was doing the same thing, was trying to do when nobody was looking, lol!!!

Erin — November 16, 2009 @ 6:03 pm

We have a Capital Grille here – I didn’t know they were a chain! Thanks blogland ;) I am going to find your recipe for Lobster Mac&Cheese stat. I plan on making that for my own birthday party. In February.

Also, I just went back and read the hungry, angry husband and oh my god, hilarious. While I don’t have a hangry husband, my little brother, who plays rugby and lifts like a mofo is very similar to that. He needs to eat at least 12 meals per day and if he can’t, watch out. Actually my sister and I are kind of similar (minus the rugby) now that I think about it…hangry is in our genes apparently. And I’m sorry for the giant comment!

Liv — May 6, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

I L-O-V-E the Capitol Grille! We have one in Minneapolis, MN! :)