Please update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

This dip is ugly.

But it is oh, so good.

Well, honestly, I can’t even say because by the time I tried to have a bite, it was gone. But who are we kidding? We all know I licked the dish. Who cares how many guests were around? I have no shame.

I adapted this recipe from my friend Kelly – you know, the one with the adorable baby??

It calls for a can of chili, but I happened to have some of my own chili, frozen. Now that is true Mother Lovett fashion there. I wish you all could have seen her freezer, fully stocked with pie crust from 1994 and cookies from 2002. That she still ate.

IMG_2769

The recipe called for the chili to be layered on the cream cheese. Do you know what we (my husband and I. And the mysterious creature in the house who eats all the cookies. Who isn’t me.) decided?? We much prefer our dips mixed.

So I mixed up some chili and cream cheese in a bowl.

IMG_2770

And added a few handfuls of cheddar to make it more fattening delectable.

IMG_2771

Spread it into a dish.

IMG_2772

And then I topped with another layer of chili. So good.

IMG_2773

More cheddar on top. Because I was feeling extra skinny.

IMG_2774

That’s a joke.

A bad one.

Trust me.

Into the oven it went to bake. Cheesy, creamy, and chili-ed. Lot’s o’ C’s going on there.

Chili Dip

1-8oz block of cream cheese, softened

1 1/2 cups chili

1 1 /2 cups shredded cheddar

Preheat oven to 375.

In a bowl, mix cream cheese, 3/4 cup chili, and 3/4 cup cheddar cheese. Spread in dish. Top with remaining chili and cheese. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes.

Serve with chips, crackers, and french bread.

IMG_2794

This went like hotcakes! It’s really simple and is sure to be a hit.

Now speaking of hotcakes, I’m getting hungry.

23 Responses to “Holiday Appetizers 101: Chili Dip.”

homecookedem — December 16, 2009 @ 8:11 pm

Another totally doable recipe! You are my heroine!!

Stephanie — December 16, 2009 @ 8:46 pm

First of all, I hadn’t yet read your story of your grandmother and I must say that it was just beautiful (and also pretty darn cute and funny!) so thanks for sharing that with all of us friends :)

Secondly, this dip is getting made in our house very soon… I literally just turned to The Man and asked him if this would work for football food this Sunday – response was an automatic “oh hell yea!” Thanks for another fantastic recipe idea!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 16, 2009 @ 9:20 pm

That sounds absolutely amazing!! Looks pretty good too :-) You have the best recipes!! I am totally going to try them ALL in the new year!!!!

katie — December 16, 2009 @ 9:24 pm

hahah “speaking of hotcakes”.. im getting hungry too!!

kay (eating machine) — December 16, 2009 @ 9:40 pm

mmm i made dip like that for superbowl last year… sooo good! and so low in saturated fat
    (don’t tell me differently. i’m quite sure it’s super healthy. like a green smoothie. a green smoothie you dip chips in)

Erica — December 17, 2009 @ 4:23 am

Ow…I can totally make this with vegetarian chili or thick black bean soup and I bet it’d be awesome! Another good idea. Sweetness.

SarahKate — December 17, 2009 @ 4:33 am

Stop it! You’re making me hungry only an hour after breakfast! How will I ever make all the way ’til tonight when I can go home and make this?? YUM!

Simply Life — December 17, 2009 @ 5:15 am

Oh yum! i’ve never actually made this but I LOVE to eat it! thanks for the recipe!!!

The Candid RD — December 17, 2009 @ 6:10 am

OH yeah, great idea to skip the layer and just mix mix mix! I’m muxh more of a fan of that, as it always ends up mixed together eventually anyway, right?? Thanks for the recipe!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — December 17, 2009 @ 6:15 am

Your did got a heck of a lot prettier when you added all of that cheese! I made some really ugly split pea and lentil soup the other day. Tasted great, but not very cute.

megan — December 17, 2009 @ 6:40 am

yum, this looks so good! this is a great series you’re doing. i never have good appetizer ideas! Now I can just come here and steal yours :)

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — December 17, 2009 @ 6:47 am

Jess, my husband would love this recipe!

rebeccasubbiah — December 17, 2009 @ 7:12 am

this looks great love chili

Abby — December 17, 2009 @ 7:38 am

This could easily be made dairy free.. great recipe. It would be awesome with corn bread!!

Jordan — December 17, 2009 @ 8:07 am

Lawdsy! That is some serious stuff. I love chili but that is chili on a whole new level right there! This is getting filed under Super Bowl worthy.

Crystal — December 17, 2009 @ 8:24 am

Mmmm…this looks like a great ‘man’ dish. I’ll have to try it for sure!

Melissa — December 17, 2009 @ 9:09 am

If someone else makes the chili for me, I could recreate this dip without any trouble. Looks sooo delicious and would be perfect for the COLD day we’re having in Boston today.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — December 17, 2009 @ 10:55 am

love me some ugly dip :)

natalie — December 17, 2009 @ 11:00 am

I just can’t get over how much different stuff you are coming up with and all of your workouts! I am pooped by the time i get home from work…you are my role model! i love all your stuff and i;m sure your family does too! you are awesome hun!

Kelly B. — December 17, 2009 @ 12:14 pm

You’re amazing!

Brittany — January 22, 2011 @ 2:04 am

I made the dip and my sister and I LOVED it <3 I love this site(: I'm going to make it for the holidays the next time they come around ! Thanks for the recipe !

Michelle — March 4, 2011 @ 9:01 pm

I love the idea of layering and baking this. I have made it several times in the microwave with chili and cream cheese alone. I will have to do this next time for sure! Thank you for a wonderful idea!

1. Pingback: Holiday Appetizers | How Sweet It Is