Update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

This is a simple cheeseball that most people will love. Yes, it has olives in it, but the olive taste is masked. My husband doesn’t like olives (well…I don’t think he does) and he has eaten this before.

Yes, hubby. I know your eyes are wide as you are reading this. You have eaten this before.

You’ve also eaten ricotta cheese countless times, even though you hate it and swear you never eat it.

I chop up the olives.

IMG_2593

IMG_2594

And add them to some cream cheese. Throughly mix it up.

IMG_2595

IMG_2596

This cheeseball is a staple that my mom and grandma (this one, not Mother Lovett) always make. It makes a great appetizer, isn’t very heavy, and it usually gets devoured before dinner.

This is also one of those cases where it is probably alright to use a low-fat version of the cream cheese. Since we are simply spreading it on crackers, I think it still tastes great. And the other flavors and additions help even out the texture. So by all means, make this a low-fat appetizer! :)

I use raw walnuts. This is what the cheeseball is going to be coated in.

IMG_2634

Chop them up. I like using a big, giant knife. It makes me feel special. And scared.

IMG_2636

But you can use a mini food processor or one of those trusty little nut grinders from long ago. Remember those? My mom has one, and I love it. I don’t even know if you can find those anymore.

Which proves that I really am 68 years old. Not only would I rather stay home, listen to old music, and hang out with people 30 years older than me, I’d also like to step back in time and grind nuts by hand.

I may as well start washing clothes by hand.

But that would insinuate that I even do laundry.

Shape the cream cheese into a ball. Hence cheeseball.

IMG_2635

Then roll it in the chopped nuts. I like the walnuts the best, but I’m sure you can use other nuts.

IMG_2637

It goes in the fridge to set for a few hours. You can also make it the night before.

See how pretty?

IMG_2638

I think it’s best served with multiple different crackers, but you can throw some veggies in there, too. I wouldn’t, since I detest them. I wish veggies would disappear forever. It would make my life so much easier. Just sayin’.

IMG_2639

Simple Cheeseball

2-8oz blocks cream cheese, softened.

1/2 cup chopped olives

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Mix softened cream cheese and chopped olives. Form into a ball. Roll in chopped walnuts. Chill in the fridge for at least one hour.

Serve with crackers.

IMG_2640

Nutty and cheesy – isn’t that a fabulous combo?

Have you visited my FITNESS page yet? Check it out! Lots o’ workouts. :)

28 Responses to “Holiday Appetizers 101: Easy Cheeseball.”

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — December 8, 2009 @ 7:29 am

Ooh, that looks yummy and super easy. I’m going to have to experiment with some non-dairy cream cheese, but I have a feeling it will work great. :)

Yum Yucky — December 8, 2009 @ 7:46 am

Ah yes. That looks good.

I’ve never ate a Cheeseball, but had much unfortunate run-ins with stinky Cheese Toes – (my husband’s and sons’) – not to be confused with the edible Cheetoes.

Maria — December 8, 2009 @ 8:43 am

Love how easy this is. Great to take to any party!

Lauren (Biochemista) — December 8, 2009 @ 9:28 am

Looks delish! Will try!! :-)

Marisa @All in Good Food — December 8, 2009 @ 9:51 am

Wow that is very simple and I was planning on hitting the Hickory Farms cart in the mall. I think I will try it out with maybe some other ingredients (I’m like your hubby I hate olives). Thanks for the post. ;~)

Abby — December 8, 2009 @ 10:14 am

This made my stomach growl :)

Chrysta — December 8, 2009 @ 10:14 am

Thanks so much for the recipe. I love all the fabulous appetizer recipes you’ve been doing. Great for the holiday season! Have a wonderful day!!

Julie @savvyeats — December 8, 2009 @ 10:20 am

Cheeseballs are a Christmas staple on my mom’s side of the family! We make ours with cream cheese and blue cheese and another cheese that I can’t remember right now…

Kristen @ SimplySavor — December 8, 2009 @ 10:50 am

yesss! i love your holiday appetizers, they’re my fav! this looks delish–BOOKMARKED! thanks dear :)

Jennifer — December 8, 2009 @ 11:02 am

I haven’t had a cheeseball in such a long time! I think I’ll have to give this a go.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — December 8, 2009 @ 11:13 am

I love all these balls (TWSS) but really they look DELICIOUS! I would abs serve these at a dinner party!!

Julia (Taste of Living) — December 8, 2009 @ 12:04 pm

Love these balls! I think I can also make a version with goat cheese, thanks for this inspiration!

Barbara — December 8, 2009 @ 12:56 pm

A lovely cheese ball and really simple to make too! I used to make one with cheddar cheese and it had sherry in it. I lost the recipe! I ought to Google it and see what comes up.

Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life — December 8, 2009 @ 2:17 pm

Simple and delicious! Cheese balls are awesome :)

Lo — December 8, 2009 @ 2:19 pm

cheeseballs and christmas go hand in hand. My aunt always makes them!

Light Delight with TouTou — December 8, 2009 @ 4:02 pm

you just combined my favorite stuff …cheese and nuts! I would love to try it out! the process already makes me mouth watering :-D

intheskinny — December 8, 2009 @ 4:05 pm

I so needed a cheeseball recipe! I have my work Christmas party on Friday and need to bring an appetizer.

Just found your blog btw and love it! :)

Evan Thomas — December 8, 2009 @ 4:22 pm

My mom makes this and I can never stop being amazed by what a hit it is with people! Except she uses pineapple instead of olives, and some sort of heat though I’m not sure what. jalapenos maybe?

Karla — December 8, 2009 @ 4:33 pm

So simple and delicious looking! I love anything with olives! Seems like a good party dish! Maybe I’ll make it for my ugly sweater party this weekend!

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — December 8, 2009 @ 4:59 pm

Theres never been a holiday that a cheeseball hasnt graced my family’s table! lol Looks so festive :)

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — December 8, 2009 @ 5:11 pm

It is a fabulous combo! Anything with cheese & olives sound good to me :)

Alison — December 8, 2009 @ 10:02 pm

I am so excited to try this for our work Christmas party! Cheese and olives…mmm! Which crackers do you normally serve it with?

Nicci@NiftyEats — December 8, 2009 @ 10:27 pm

This looks good, funny thing I’ve never had one. Now i want to try one.

Julie — December 9, 2009 @ 8:50 am

Yep, they still have those nut grinders. Just bought one recently as part of a wedding gift from Williams Sonoma. My mom always had a nut grinder filled with nuts in the freezer (kept longer) ready to go for sundae toppings. Ha!

Low — December 9, 2009 @ 11:25 am

Love cheeseballs! I used to refuse to eat them when I was little. Now I love ‘em!

independent pharmacy news — January 11, 2012 @ 2:17 am

Wonderful blog! I found it while surfing around on Yahoo News. Do you have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News? producent odziezy ciazowej Ive been trying for a while but I never seem to get there! Thank you

au pair in the usa for a child — January 11, 2012 @ 2:18 am

Inafking gave us Mega Man 9.

1. Pingback: Babies and Missing Hunger « Yes, I want cake.