Update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

A few years ago I had a client that would bring me these red velvet cookies. They were so good and we’re usually gone before I left the gym for the day.

While I do have a ‘from scratch’ recipe for red velvet cake, I wasn’t sure how it would turn into cookies. So I went with this one. Admittedly, after baking from scratch all weekend, I was relieved to use a box mix. I was exhausted!

Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

IMG_2780

The additions are simply eggs, vanilla and oil. It is so easy to make!

IMG_2783

I love how pretty the red dough looks. It also dies your hands red. And your teeth. Not that I’d know about that…

IMG_2784

It gets even better with the chocolate chips added in.

IMG_2785

The mix is very doughy, so it is easy to roll them into balls.

IMG_2786

Look how gorgeous. I love the red color. And for those of you who were asking – these do not have a cake-like texture. It is more of a chewy chocolate chip cookie. Drool.

IMG_2791

If it is even possible, they can be made better with some with cream cheese frosting.

IMG_2803

IMG_2805

Red Velvet Chocolate Chips Cookies

1 box Red Velvet cake mix

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/3 cup vegetable oil

3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.

In an electric mixing bowl, combine cake mix, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Mix until a dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips. Roll into balls and bake at 350 for 8 minutes.

Makes about 24 cookies.

IMG_2807

You have to make these now. And if you do, feel free to send me some. They have somehow disappeared.

Check out what I’ve made for the holidays so far. :)

84 Responses to “Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

April — December 14, 2009 @ 7:30 am

Thanks!! I’m going to make these too. Dang, i’ll be Betty Crocker thanks to you this Christmas!!

Erin — December 14, 2009 @ 7:34 am

The cream cheese did it for me! These look amazing.

Morgan — December 14, 2009 @ 8:06 am

mmmmm, I have some red velvet mix and I’m in the mood to bake, love this cookie!

Mellissa — December 14, 2009 @ 8:06 am

All I want to do is eat cookies! They look so good :)

VeggieGirl — December 14, 2009 @ 8:14 am

**swoons**

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — December 14, 2009 @ 8:18 am

SO simple and easy! and REDDDD deliciousness :) MMm thanks for posting it Jess, You always have recipes that are so simple to make!!

Gena — December 14, 2009 @ 8:20 am

There’s a hotel I used to stay at in New Orleans that served complimentary red velvet cupcakes each AM. It was lovely — if only they’d be vegan! Yours look awesome.

Gaby — December 14, 2009 @ 8:32 am

omg these look amazing! I am going to have to make them for my boyfriend – he is obsessed with anything red velvet! thanks for the recipe!

TheKitchenWitch — December 14, 2009 @ 8:39 am

These are genius! And you don’t then have an entire cake lying around! Perfect.

Amanda — December 14, 2009 @ 8:51 am

Yeah, these look awesome. You rock. I LOVE the addition of cream cheese frosting, thats my favorite!

Blessings!
    Amanda

The Candid RD — December 14, 2009 @ 9:09 am

OH YEAH!! These are going in my recipe stash :)

Shelley — December 14, 2009 @ 9:34 am

those are amazing/unique looking

Maria — December 14, 2009 @ 9:40 am

Easy and festive!

Erica — December 14, 2009 @ 9:46 am

Everyone needs an easy, delicious cookie for this time of year. This one looks just perfect. I love the pretty color.

Emily — December 14, 2009 @ 10:40 am

Oh wow! They do look great! …and festive! :D

Lisa — December 14, 2009 @ 11:10 am

I was just looking for a red velvet cookie recipe and U stubble across your blog! hihi these look very good!

My holiday baking list is very similar to yours!

Yum Yucky — December 14, 2009 @ 11:35 am

I’d be stuttering right now, but I’m speechless. You may just have to settle for drool.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 14, 2009 @ 11:37 am

Cool – I have never heard of red velvet cake mix!!!! I will have to look for that next time I go grocery shopping!

janetha b — December 14, 2009 @ 11:46 am

wow those ARE simple. i am making them this week! thanks!

AmyLou — December 14, 2009 @ 12:21 pm

Thank you SO much for posting this recipe! I love easy, yummy cookies!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) — December 14, 2009 @ 12:50 pm

NICE and drool worthy!
    And oh so festive for the holidays!

One Healthy Apple — December 14, 2009 @ 1:05 pm

Gorgeous! I love the color and I think I can make this since box mixes are my fave!

Thanks again for the ideas!

Shannon, Tropical Eats — December 14, 2009 @ 1:18 pm

omggggg those look like heaven on earth. Me. want. right. now. hahah. have a great afternoon girly!! :)

Melissa — December 14, 2009 @ 2:17 pm

I am on the hunt for Red Velvet cake mix so I can make these cookies for my holiday party on Thursday. I tried Star Market and they were out…so I am sending the boyfriend to Shaws on his way home from work. Can’t wait to taste test! :)

Nicole — December 14, 2009 @ 2:21 pm

LOVE these cookies. Surprisingly with all the desserts I have tried, I have never had red velvet cake. I just finished baking a ton too and still have a couple more to go…it’s fun but exhausting!

Amy J in SC — December 14, 2009 @ 2:27 pm

Oh, this shouldn’t even be allowed! Oh my goodness – they look so yum.

Lisa — December 14, 2009 @ 3:19 pm

oh they look SO good! I HAVE to start my Christmas baking!!!!

kay (eating machine) — December 14, 2009 @ 4:03 pm

i adore red velvet. mmm

Simply Life — December 14, 2009 @ 4:48 pm

oh these look amazing! so creative!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — December 14, 2009 @ 5:26 pm

Mmmm…these look good!

Whatever– box mixes can be great when you need them! I say, use whatever works! :-)

Obviously the quality of these cookies was not compromised :-)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) — December 14, 2009 @ 6:29 pm

I LOVE red velvet cake (almost as much as I love carrot cake hehe). I could totally go for one of those iced fluffy cookies. Mmmm!

Light Delight with TouTou — December 14, 2009 @ 6:29 pm

I got the same box !!
    these red velvet cakes have been my love for a long time. I am just addicted to the red color! the cookie’s color is fabulous!!

monicaonthego.com — December 14, 2009 @ 6:31 pm

Those look so yummy I might just have to try my hand at cookies again.

Lauren — December 14, 2009 @ 6:37 pm

This look awesommmmee. Red velvet is my favorite. Mmm.

Jenna — December 14, 2009 @ 7:12 pm

Cake mix cookies are THE BEST! I have never thought of using a Red Velvet mix though. Fabulous idea. I’ll have to give these a try!

Tammy @ Defining Wellness — December 14, 2009 @ 7:59 pm

I just had red velvet cookies recently for the first time — fantastic! And I had no idea they were so easy to make — thanks for the recipe!

Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYEar — December 14, 2009 @ 8:14 pm

I don’t think I have ever had red velvet cake?

*hiding*

Let me know when it’s safe to come out in Foodie World again : )

…sooo deprived…

Gelareh @ Orange Truffle — December 14, 2009 @ 8:43 pm

oh they look good. I have a box sitting in my pantry. I should make them next week at my in-laws for Christmas. Red Velvet cake is my mother-in-laws favorite.. I can score some brownie points ;)

Allison — December 14, 2009 @ 10:23 pm

Perfect timing for this recipe! I have a cookie party tomorrow, and I am making these right now. My first batch of snickerdoodles didn’t come out great, so these will be my substitute.

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — December 15, 2009 @ 5:39 am

I’ve never thought of red velvet cookies before. Great idea!

CCV — December 15, 2009 @ 7:06 am

Woah, I want to try and make a vegan version now. They look so good!

Jennifer @ maple n cornbread — December 15, 2009 @ 9:32 am

WOW what a great idea!!

megan — December 15, 2009 @ 9:50 am

These look so good! I don’t normally like red velvet cake at all, but if these have the texture of a cookie, I might be a fan! especially with the icing :)

Lindsay — December 18, 2009 @ 8:10 pm

I’m making these right now and just took the first dozen out.
    O.
    M.
    G.
    Sooo good! So easy! Amazing! Thanks for a great recipe! :)

Becca — January 23, 2010 @ 11:46 pm

I just made a batch of these! They are still hot. And oh are they good. Thanks so much for sharing. I will be making again.

liz — February 10, 2010 @ 12:18 pm

these are great for valentine’s day! have some in the oven now!

Meseidy — February 20, 2010 @ 10:48 pm

I love this idea! It’s like a chocolate chip red velvet woopie pie. My husband loved red velvet, I will have to try these.

Leslie — October 21, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

I just made these, and they’re baking in my oven right now.
    But I have a question… I used the correct amount of ingredients and everything, but my dough was really shiny and oily. Did I do something wrong?

• Jessica — October 21st, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

Hmmm not sure – mine was not like that and I haven’t heard that problem yet? Maybe it was the temperature of the butter or the food coloring you used?? Let me know how they turn out!

• Jessica — October 21st, 2010 @ 3:23 pm

Oops sorry – just realized that these were the ones made with the boxed mix. I haven’t made them in a year, but I do kind of remember it being a shiny dough.

Leslie — October 21, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

Yeah, it was just really shiny and oily. But I just had one and they were delicious! :) I’m really tempted to go eat another one. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Anna @ Blissful Whimsy — December 12, 2010 @ 8:26 pm

I just wanted to let you know, I gave these cookies a try today. They are fantastic! And you’re right….my hands, and mouth, are now red :o)

1. Pingback: Baking Adventures « for the love of breakfast

2. Pingback: Wakey wakey, here’s what i’m gonna makey! « The Weigh I Am

3. Pingback: Let’s Get to Work « In the Skinny

4. Pingback: Welcome to 2010 « just another day.

5. Pingback: A Little Piece of Heaven « The Healthy Junky

6. Pingback: Chewy Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies - from scratch! | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Oh nuts. « A Tasty Life