We have been entertaining a bit this weekend, and I always like to have a sweet treat around after we eat. Most of the time we don’t do big dinners – we just do multiple small plates that everyone shares. I love it this way – we get a little of everything, and I get to cook many different dishes to enjoy.

I really wanted to make a chocolate dessert, but went back and forth for days on what to make. I wanted something simple, but decadent. Something that would require the least amount of work and the largest amount of butter.

I decided on my oooey gooey fudgey brownies, and added a big splash of Bailey’s. That was after few swigs from the bottle, of course. I think we all know that chocolate + Bailey’s is a fabulous combination.

Bailey’s always reminds me of special occasions. Growing up, it would always be served after a party or event, or on a holiday. Not that I would personally know, because it’s not like I secretly drank Bailey’s when I was 13 or anything. Or 15. Or 18.

The brownies came out perfectly – so moist and fudgey, with just a hint of Bailey’s. An amazing addition would be a scoop of coffee ice cream.

I actually have some coffee ice cream in my freezer. It’s stuck somewhere in there with 7 bags of Trader Joe’s chicken and 10 bags of frozen veggies that I keep hoping I will someday eat.

I’m sure it will happen one day – if I am abducted by aliens.

For now, I’ll just keep piling things into the freezer until my husband has another nervous breakdown about how unorganized it is.

While I skipped the ice cream this time, the brownie just wasn’t complete without a glass on Bailey’s on the side. I actually dunked the brownie into the Bailey’s. That was incredible. Wisest thing I’ve ever done.

Well, besides the first time I ever dunked a french fry in gravy. That was wise.

Don’t judge.

Bailey’s Brownies

1 stick unsalted butter

2-3 squares baking chocolate

2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 cup flour

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream Liqueur

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter and baking sqaures in a microwave safe bowl. In the mixing bowl, cream melted butter and chocolate mixture. Add in sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in eggs, beating one at a time. Add flour and stir just until combined. Stir in Bailey’s.

Pour into greased 9 x 13 baking dish (I used a 10 x 10 square cake pan).  Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until just barely done.

You guys need to make these. I can’t go on if you don’t try them. I need someone else to relish in their deliciousness with me. And I need someone else to spend their Sunday morning watching ‘The World’s Sexiest Bodies’ on E! while surrounded in a pile of brownie crumbs.

It’s perfectly normal and very motivating. I promise.

Don’t forget! You can:

Follow How Sweet It Is on Twitter

Become a fan on Facebook

Subscribe here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

102 Responses to “Bailey’s Brownies.”

Amy @ Cheerful Cookery — January 24, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

These look lovely! My scratch brownies always come out dry (ahem, overcooked), andneverget thatcrackly top layer I see in your pictures. Must try these soon!

One Healthy Apple — January 24, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

Genius! Do you think adding Bailey’s would work with a high quality boxed mix? Or a moderately good one? If so, then that’s my next experiment.

Also, thank you very much for your cupcake tips. It still looked like a 3-year-old did them, but my audience was too busy shoveling them in their mouths!

I get sucked into those shows too. Totally normal. I also love how they call size 2 curvy :)

• Jessica — January 25th, 2010 @ 8:12 am

It will definitely work in a box mix! Just sub it for the water. :)

• Linda Plaza — July 9th, 2012 @ 10:51 am

Thank you this is just the answer I was looking for

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — January 25, 2010 @ 5:44 am

this is pure food gasm right here. I love that you always take two ingredeients that i LOVE but wouldn’t think go together and then you go ahead and put them together in the most amazing sounding recipes! your husband is one lucky guy :)

Shannon — January 25, 2010 @ 6:38 am

Although I’m not a fan of Bailey’s, brownies are my favorite dessert! Those look amazing…I would be sitting in a pile of crumbs too!

Simply Life — January 25, 2010 @ 6:44 am

Wow I’ve never seen that before – looks delicious!

Allie (Protein Girl) — January 25, 2010 @ 7:13 am

Holy crap. (I don’t know how to say that in Gaelic) That looks marvelous, now let’s make it sugar-free and gluten-free and I’m all over it!

Jamie (Food in Real Life) — January 25, 2010 @ 8:24 am

Baileys is sooo good. I love it with coffee- which would also be great for dunking brownies into!

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — January 25, 2010 @ 8:41 am

alcohol & brownies = a recipe for success!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — January 25, 2010 @ 9:10 am

Holy Crap! I can’t think of a better combination. Those brownies look gooey and amazing!

Crystal — January 25, 2010 @ 9:45 am

This looks soooo tasty…I’ll have to try. And don’t feel judged by dipping fries in gravy. Those that haven’t tried that just aren’t living life to the fullest!

Therese — January 25, 2010 @ 9:46 am

OMG best idea ever! I absolutely loooooove Baileys. Those brownies…I die.

Funny story. One Christmas I drank an entire bottle of Bailey’s and woke up on the living room floor. Ok not so funny, more embarrassing.

Nicole, RD — January 25, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

BAILEEEEYS! We always have a bottle in our fridge and that makes this recipe all the more dangerous!! : )

Kacy — January 25, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

That sounds amazingly good. You’ve done it again!

Fit Chick in the City — January 25, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

Can you please send one over to me? I may even switch locations with you for a bite of that chocolaty goodness.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 25, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

Yum… This is brilliant… Absolutely brilliant!

Marina — January 28, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

These brownies look divine!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — March 3, 2010 @ 7:32 am

For your baking chocolate, did you use unsweetened or semisweet? I hope that isn’t a dumb question!

• Jessica — March 3rd, 2010 @ 7:41 am

I used semisweet! Not a dumb question at all. ;)

Taylor — April 10, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

I am making these right now and they smell SO GOOD!! Not only can I smell the chocolate but I can smell the Bailey’s too….I can’t wait to try them!

Nurgul — May 17, 2010 @ 10:13 am

Hi Jessica,
    I tried your recipe… It’s so delicious, but very sweet I think. Are you really using that much sugar with these ingredients? or could it be a simple typo.

• Jessica — May 17th, 2010 @ 10:18 am

Yep! I use that much, but I have very sweet teeth. I am sure you could decrease the amount and it would work out fine.

Meghan — January 7, 2011 @ 2:50 am

I want to make these asap for a dinner party! What kind of baking chocolate do you recommend and what do you mean by “2-3 squares?” Can’t wait to chase these with some more baileys :)

• Jessica — January 7th, 2011 @ 2:59 am

Hi Meghan! I use Baker’s chocolate (that’s the brand) and it comes it squares. Most baking chocolate does. You can always make boxed mix brownies and add Baileys! In my mind they are just as good. :) And easier!

Samantha — March 18, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

These are absolutely amazing! I even amp-ed it up by poking holes with tooth picks and drizzling more baileys into the brownies, then topping them with a Bailey’s butter-cream frosting… ridiculously wonderful! Thank you for this recipe!

natalie (the sweets life) — August 5, 2011 @ 10:26 am

is the baking chocolate you’re using unsweetened? want to try these out with some chocolate liqueur i have! :)

Vanessa K — September 3, 2011 @ 10:54 pm

Hi jess, when it calls for one stick of butter is that 1/2 cup or 1 cup? thanks I am dying to try these

Christianne — November 22, 2011 @ 7:33 pm

I made these, and it’s almost like toffee. They don’t look at all like your pictures. Any ideas why? Thanks!

Silver Raven — January 16, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

Food heaven, have got to try these. For those of us across the pond what weight of butter & choclate do you use in these? Our butter doesn’t come in sticks & if you’d seen the size of the last chocolate squares I used 2-3 won’t even be an ounce.

Kate — March 7, 2012 @ 7:52 am

My friend and I will definitely be making these tonight!! I was so excited when I realized I have all of the ingredients already. They look superb. I can’t wait to try them! :)

Stephanie — March 17, 2012 @ 12:04 pm

I noticed your original recipe has 4 eggs in it, and this bailey’s version has only 2. Is that because of the addition of baileys? Thanks! :)

Katie — April 11, 2012 @ 1:48 pm

These were delicious! Made them for gifts for Christmas and they came out perfect. I love Bailey’s and I’ll definitely be making them again!

Megan — May 9, 2012 @ 11:08 pm

Just pulled these out of the oven, and like Christianne above, they are nothing like your picture. I was concerned with how small an amount of chocolate 3 baking squares looked like for a 9×13 pan of brownies.. Can you specify the size of the squares you used? My Baker’s chocolate squares are 1 ounce each. It also seemed like too little batter to turn out well in a 9×13 but I remembered that is what the recipe had specified so I went for it. Wish I had also recalled that you did NOT use a 9×13 because I would have used something smaller! Anyway, love the idea but if I try these again I will have to make some adjustments :( wish I had just drank the Bailey’s, eaten the chocolate, and called it a night! ;)

ritu — July 2, 2012 @ 11:29 pm

Super yum idea!!

Ann-Marie — October 18, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

Hi, I made your brownies a few weeks ago and took it to a Jack and Jill. It was SUCH a hit! I also kept a few pieces for myself…they were soooo delicious! I only added 1.5 cups of sugar though because I couldn’t bring myself to add 2 cups. They were deliciously sweet and came out perfect! YUMMM
    I plan to make another batch tomorrow :)

Shireen — November 28, 2012 @ 1:48 am

Love these! But was wondering if I could use all purpose gluten free flour?

paula — December 16, 2012 @ 9:26 pm

these did not turn out well at all!. used an 8′ pan, and they were FLAT!
    not enough batter for 9 x 13. used about 1/2c chips, melted.
    adivce? they sounded great.. disappointed!

Sylvia — May 18, 2013 @ 8:37 am

Can you tell me how many grams is your one stick of butter and the chocolate squares in grams if possibl? Super keen to try but couldn’t work out these thanks heaps !!!