Cilantro and lime is one of my favorite combinations. I usually have a few citrus fruits around, but I always forget about them.

Unless I am squeezing lime into my vodka. Then I always remember.

Or until they rot in my refrigerator. Our fridge is like the black hole of darkness. Things go in and never come out. That is, until I see brown slime pooling in the crisper drawer. Then I know it’s time to clean. And at that point, I probably still have not done laundry in 7 weeks.

In an effort to not be wasteful, I wanted to use multiple citrus fruits for this shrimp dish. I love fruit and all things sweet. I know you didn’t know that about me.

I also gave each of these babies a good zest. The colors were pretty and it smelled phenomenal. Remember, I am easily distracted when a bright color catches my eye.

I have learned that I do enjoy zesting without Mother Lovett yelling in my ear about how I am doing it wrong. But I still miss it.

After layering the fruit slices on the plate, I sprinkled them with a tiny bit of sugar. I wanted to just eat these as my dinner. I refrained.

I thought the dish looked so pretty, and that it tasted great, too. My dad first took a bite, and said ‘Eh…they’re ok.’

Next up was my husband who said ‘Eh…they’re alright.’

Urgh. Men and their 2-year old tastebuds.

Somehow, by the end of the evening the entire plate was devoured. And it wasn’t because of me. I was too busy stuffing my face with fondue for the fourth time this week and scarfing brownies. Even more evidence that it wasn’t because of me? The entire plate edge was covered in wiped-off cilantro. I would never commit such a sin.

Somebody please get me a lock and key for my mouth.

Cilantro Citrus Shrimp

6 oz peeled, deviened, cooked shrimp

2 large lemons

2 navel oranges

2 medium limes

sprinkle of sugar

1/2 tablespoon Tabasco

1 teaspoon soy sauce

1 teaspoon olive oil

1/8 cup fresh, chopped cilantro

Zest a lemon, lime and orange to get about 1/2 tablespoon of zest. Slice one lemon, one lime, and one orange and layer them on a large plate. In a bowl, mix oil, Tabasco, and soy sauce. Juice one orange, one lemon, and one lime into the bowl. Add zest. Add shrimp and toss.

Layer shrimp on citrus slices. Top with cilantro and lime wedges.

This makes such a tasty and fresh appetizer. Just make sure you have some men in your life that like fruity dishes filled with cilantro.

55 Responses to “Cilantro Citrus Shrimp.”

Jesse (@NakedSweets) — January 25, 2010 @ 9:42 am

Looks absolutely Delish and soo very simple to whip up! Great Post :)

Amanda — January 25, 2010 @ 9:52 am

Yum. Yum. Yum. Love these pics and love shrimp. Did you know I once had a friend who called Shrimp “the insect of the sea”?

We arent friends anymore. :)

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — January 25, 2010 @ 10:02 am

This looks so light and summery!!

Don’t forget lime in your corona. ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 25, 2010 @ 10:10 am

this looks amazing! i love lime and cilantro too…something Colorado mexican food joints apparently haven’t heard of (or have forgotten about!)

this makes me wish summer was here even more, but what else is new? :)

Monique — January 25, 2010 @ 10:10 am

oh man. those pics are fabulous! love it!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — January 25, 2010 @ 10:12 am

That sounds fantastic and those pictures are just outstanding!!!

Christie @ Honoring Health — January 25, 2010 @ 10:13 am

That sounds delicious, thanks for sharing!

Madeline- greens and jeans — January 25, 2010 @ 10:27 am

What is it with guys and citrus? My boyfriend is a human garbage disposal but cringes at the thought of a lemon!

Chelsea Talks Smack — January 25, 2010 @ 10:29 am

This, looks. AMAZING.

Kelly B. — January 25, 2010 @ 10:38 am

YUM! I love shrimp but don’t eat it too much because it is super high in cholesterol. But this is a great recipe for my once a month shrimp fix! Awesome…thanks girl!

Stephanie — January 25, 2010 @ 10:47 am

Well…I think it sounds absolutely divine. And I’ve been missing ceviche. Someday soon I’ll have to prepare your recipe and throw in some sashimi.
    BODA weight loss

MelissaNibbles — January 25, 2010 @ 10:49 am

I’ll have a margarita with that please :)

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad — January 25, 2010 @ 10:53 am

I love the combo of lime and cilantro. This looks great!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — January 25, 2010 @ 11:01 am

I love cilantro on just about anything, with lime it is amazing!

Blond Duck — January 25, 2010 @ 11:06 am

Alas, I am allergic to shrimp.

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — January 25, 2010 @ 11:08 am

Anything with cilantro and lime, and I’m in!

janetha b — January 25, 2010 @ 11:08 am

yum, cilantro and lime are quite the duo~ for sure. and i love shrimp.. so protein-packed! i havent had shrimp in some time, i need to soon! thanks for the yummy recipe and i hope you are having a great monday, doll! xo

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 25, 2010 @ 11:24 am

Mmmmm…this looks like a perfect summer dish!

Melissa — January 25, 2010 @ 11:31 am

I don’t eat seafood. But I’ll take a lemon slice and toss it in my glass of water. :)

Erica — January 25, 2010 @ 12:06 pm

Simple, healthy, light! I love it. And it looks pretty (bonussssss points!)

Jenn@slim-shoppin — January 25, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

I think that looks so pretty!

I do that too, I buy limes/lemons and some times they get used, and sometimes they go straight to the garbage! I hate when that happens!

I did a dish last week, where I had chicken breasts, garlic, fresh basil and thyme and sliced lemons and baked that in a casserole dish. It turned out really good!

Samantha — January 25, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

This sounds delicious! I love citrus and I love shrimp!

Emily (A Nutritionisteats) — January 25, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

Yum! (I would never leave cilantro on the plate either)

Nicole (dishin') — January 25, 2010 @ 12:21 pm

This looks delicious and it’s so healthy. I love your new site by the way, the larger photos look fantastic!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 25, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

looks SO GREAT…I wish I liked cilantro :( but I would totally make this recipe and sub the cilantro for another spice!

ps-when are you coming over to cook for me??

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — January 25, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

Did you get a new camera?? These pics are gorgeous.. they jump right off the page!

I LOVE cilantro.. YUM :)

• Jessica — January 25th, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

Nope! Same old camera! I think it’s because I’m making my pictures bigger. A few people have commented on them. Thank you. :)

Sarah — January 25, 2010 @ 1:40 pm

Just found your blog – beautiful pictures. Your shrimp looks so good.

The Candid RD — January 25, 2010 @ 2:09 pm

I LOVE LOVE LOVE shrimp! It’s what makes my eyes light up whenever I walk into a room. If I see shrimp, I’m happy. I also love lime and cilantro. I love it in salsa, and I love it with meats, or fish. Like you, I also love my citrus with some vodka. My favorite shot is a lemon drop ;)

homecookedem — January 25, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

Hahaha, MEN!! I think your shrimp look fabulous and fresh!! I love cilantro so much!! And your presentation is so beautiful – as always!! :)

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — January 25, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

That looks like such a *refreshing* and light meal, which I love. Shrimp is probably my favorite protein in that sense…it doesn’t leave me feeling weighed down. And I’m sure the citrus/cilantro enhances the flavor perfectly!

katie — January 25, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

yumm! bet i could make this w. scallops too!!

Leah — January 25, 2010 @ 5:20 pm

Yum! This looks fantastic. I love anything with lime and cilantro. Its like they were meant for each other.

Katharine — January 25, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

Cilantro is by FAR my favorite herb! Apparently it’s not an acquired taste, either. You like it or you don’t and that’s determined by your genetics. (Who knows if that’s true, but it’s what I’ve heard!)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 25, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

I adore cilantro – it is seriously my favourite herb in the world. I love it with lime too!!

The Paris Food Blague — January 25, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

ahh cilantro. yes!

these pictures made me happier just looking at them. thanks!

-The Paris Food Blague

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 25, 2010 @ 6:29 pm

shrimp actually is my WORST food allergy. I will never be able to eat it again or i risk death :) airway closes instantly, so needless to say i wont make this…but i loved your comment re no one cares about what you’re doing in yoga…I wrote that b/c people dont realize that, I Am glad that in that epic post, my little humor wasnt lost :)
    love u honey!

Jenny — January 25, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

Mmm! I always forget what amazing flavor citrus fruits add to foods. Like you, I’m usually too busy squeezing limes into my vodka to bother adding them to my food ;)

Mae @ OhhMay — January 25, 2010 @ 7:16 pm

Mmmm I love cillantro in anything- especially with lime!! This looks so delicious. It reminds me of summer in the middle of the dreary months.

Cheryl — January 25, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

First of all, you are hilarious! Secondly, I am making trout for the husband tomorrow night and took out shrimp for me – I think I may try something like this – the different tastes together sound amazing!

Shelley — January 25, 2010 @ 7:37 pm

these pictures are beautiful- and this looks really good!

Barbara Bakes — January 25, 2010 @ 8:15 pm

It’s a gorgeous meal! Man just don’t know how lucky they are to have a foodie for a wife!

One Healthy Apple — January 25, 2010 @ 8:47 pm

This looks delicious and so refreshing. I bet this would be good with tequila on the side. Maybe in the form of shots. And then a brownie for dessert :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 25, 2010 @ 9:31 pm

I always seem to forget about citrus, too. They sit on my counter and die a slow, awful death! This looks wonderful… I, too, am a big fan of cilantro and lime. Yum!

Jocelyn — January 25, 2010 @ 10:20 pm

That looks delicious! Light yet tasteful. I always buy lemons and limes with the intention of adding them to my water/drinking them when I first wake up in the morning but I always tend to forget about them and they rot before I get to use them!

btw- favorite going out drink—vodka water with lime…goes down smooth : )

xo
    Jocelyn

Kris | iheartwellness.com — January 26, 2010 @ 12:31 am

Yummmmm this looks beautiful!

Men….I tell ya ;)

XXOO

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — January 26, 2010 @ 4:41 am

I am SO making this recipe. Today.

Katie — January 26, 2010 @ 5:36 am

Um, yum. All those colors also make me excited…and I’m a sucker for cilantro. It tastes so fresh! I can imagine it’s insanely good when paired with fresh citrus.

Simply Life — January 26, 2010 @ 6:44 am

Oh yum! I love how simple this is and clearly brings out all the flavors!

Jenna — January 26, 2010 @ 7:13 am

Just found your blog and I love reading it! Can’t wait to follow it!
    I would love it if you could check out mine and follow :)
    Jenna

Nicole, RD — January 26, 2010 @ 8:24 am

This sounds delicious! And easy! Mmm! Now I want shrimp at 9:20am!

And don’t ya just love 2-year-old taste buds! Ugh!