I got this scone recipe from a friend’s sister, and it is to die for. I have mentioned before that I do not really like pastries or scones. Pastries usually have too much bread and not enough flavor, and scones are a bit too dry for my liking.

But I’m sure if there was a pastry covered in gravy and hot fudge, smeared with butter and topped with coconut and bacon, I’d be all over that.

It sounds gross, but really, I’m sure it is fabulous.

Cinnamon Chips. Hmm.

Not too sure how I feel about these. I love cinnamon. We go through it like dirty socks.

Maybe it is because I eat chocolate chips by the pound? I eat them in yogurt, pancakes, oatmeal, ice cream, salads . . . you get the drift.

And no, I don’t really eat them in salads. Because you know I don’t eat salad.

Back to these cinnamon chips – I popped a few of these like I was Lindsay Lohan popping . . .you know.

I just didn’t enjoy these alone. I usually eat a bucket few chocolate chips as a sweet treat, but won’t be doing the same with these.

They are, however, excellent when mixed in something.

I topped the scones with some raw turbinado sugar for a tasty crunch. I think adding some course sugar makes the scone.

These scones were anything but dry. They were moist and soft. A bit chewy, they just burst with flavor. The cinnamon chips are perfect.

Are you a scone or pastry person? I’m an everything person. But I’m really a bacon person. And a cheese person. And a chocolate person.

And I’m certainly not a veggie person.

But I’m not telling you anything you didn’t already know.

Cinnamon Chip Scones

Makes 16 scones

3 1/4 cups flour

1/3 cup sugar

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

3/4 cups cold butter

1 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup cinnamon chips

Preheat oven to 425.

In large bowl combine dry ingredients. Cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla. Fold in cinnamon chips. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.

Divide in half and pat into 7 inch round circles. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges.

Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes.

Make these for breakfast or brunch, or even for dinner like I did. Spread them with jam, butter or nut butter. Or crumble them in oatmeal!

Or dip them in gravy. Don’t know anyone who would do that. People are weird.

88 Responses to “Cinnamon Chip Scones.”

Maria — January 21, 2010 @ 9:42 am

I love the cinnamon chips in baked goods, but they are kind of odd plain! The scones look marvelous!

RhodeyGirl — January 21, 2010 @ 9:52 am

These look insane. I want one!!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 21, 2010 @ 9:53 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE scones!! They are my favorite pastry! I think the reason I like them is because they’re not suger sweet.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 21, 2010 @ 10:01 am

i’m with you…anything dipped in gravy (sausage to be exact) with bacon and butter sounds good to me! these scones look great! i like scones, but only if they’re made right (fluffy, dense, and moist). mmmmmmm :)

Pink Panda — January 21, 2010 @ 10:05 am

Scones are fabulous. Those look pretty darn good.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 21, 2010 @ 10:13 am

I’ve always seen cinammon chips at the store and wondered about them! I LOVE cinnamon, so I might not have the same restraint that you were able to practice with them :-)

brandi — January 21, 2010 @ 10:20 am

yum! i love cinnamon chips!

you should make bacon + maple scones :) just to see how they are, you know?

Blond Duck — January 21, 2010 @ 10:23 am

I bought some for Christmas, popped a few and promptly threw them out…I’ll have to buy another package and make these!

And thanks for your sweet comment. :)

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — January 21, 2010 @ 10:25 am

These scones look amazing! I think you may have left out the cinnamon chips from the recipe though since I don’t see them in there. Either way, they seem like a yummy treat. :)

Angela — January 21, 2010 @ 10:26 am

Scones look yummy! I never saw cinnamon chips before???

Just wanted to tell you too the new site looks great!!!

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — January 21, 2010 @ 10:28 am

I just watched an episode of Barefoot Contessa and she was making oatmeal scones and I thought how much I should like scones in theory but don’t really in actuality. Until now. These look so amazing! Much tastier than Ina’s…! Um and I’m with you with the chocolate chips on everything!

Meghan — January 21, 2010 @ 10:29 am

These looks so delicious!!! I’m not usually a pastry person either – I agree with you that they don’t have enough taste. I’ve only recently tried scones and I do like them. Never had a cinnamon chip before, but I think they would be great in a scone :)

genesis — January 21, 2010 @ 10:30 am

cinnamon chips? ive never heard of them. where’d you find them.

p.s. LOVE THE NEW LOOK.

• Jessica — January 21st, 2010 @ 10:32 am

My grocery store! Got the Hershey’s brand. They definitely have them at baking stores, tho.

Amy — January 21, 2010 @ 10:39 am

YUM!!!!!!

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle — January 21, 2010 @ 10:43 am

I’m starving, I love scones especially cinnamon or blueberry versions, and this recipe/pictures made me want one very badly. Alright, time to go find a snack…!

Jenny Flake — January 21, 2010 @ 10:47 am

I LOVE those little sinful cinnamon chips! They really are incredible. Great recipe, wishing I had one for breakfast this morning!

One Healthy Apple — January 21, 2010 @ 11:52 am

I agree- the only kind of chips that truly have my heart are chocolate chips. I tried carob and white chocolate and nothing truly compares!

I have never made scones, but I’ll eat just about anything with sugar. It’s kinda like my version of butter :)!

Melinda — January 21, 2010 @ 12:02 pm

Scones are good!!! Who wouldn;t want a scone. I like the new look. Is this really new or I am really slow to check back on your blog?

Kelly B. — January 21, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

I have never even seen cinnamon chips! I like butterscotch chips…yum! I am not typically a scone person either (for the reasons you mentioned above) but my mom LOVES them. I sent her this recipe and she is making them this weekend. (she is so excited) and she promised to save me one so I could try them too!! Thanks for this…literally you would have thought it was Christmas as excited as my mom was! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — January 21, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

Ooooo…I love the coarse sugar on top! I think everything tastes better with that little sweet crust!

megan — January 21, 2010 @ 12:28 pm

I love cinnamon chips! although, unlike you, I eat them plain by the handful. sometimes we put them in pancakes. or wonderful cinnamon chip bread (on my blog, if you have some extra cinnamon chips you need to get rid of!).

Your pictures look extra good in this post – how did you learn how to take such good pictures so quickly? I feel like I’m constantly struggling to improve. if you look back at some of my earliest posts it’s kind of pathetic! (although I’m trying to replace the oldest pictures as I re-make things)

Emily — January 21, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

Ohhhh these look decadent and just what the doctor ordered! Thanks for sharing!!!

Erin @ Big Girl Eats — January 21, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

Loving the new look and the new pics, Jess!! Especially the amazing scone pics. Yummm!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — January 21, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

Yep, definitely making these as a thank you to my coworkers for their help the other day… they look awesome!

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — January 21, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

Im with ya.. cinnamon chips plain are kinda nasty.. melted=DELISH!! I love scones.. such a nice lil switch from regular ol muffins! :)

kalin — January 21, 2010 @ 12:59 pm

you know, you could make like, maple bacon scones.
    and then give me the recipe.
    just sayin’….

Erica — January 21, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

SO agree- the cinnamon chips are not that great on their own, but in baking? AMAZINGGGGG. I use them in my cinnamon sweet bread! The scones look jammin. I don’t really like pastries but I am all for the every once in a while scone :)

Jamie (Food in Real Life) — January 21, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

I had no idea they made cinnamon chips. I wish I didn’t! :) Those look wonderful. I actually like a drier pastry because I enjoy dunking in coffee and watching the pastry slurp it up. My grandmother made this famous coffee cake that could seriously drink up your entire cup of coffee. That was my favorite :)

The Candid RD — January 21, 2010 @ 1:32 pm

I would dip them in milk or coffee!!!! I like it when they get kind of soft. These look amazing, and I want one right now. I also HAVE to try those cinnamon chocolate chips!! What a great idea!

Meg @ be bit bef ull — January 21, 2010 @ 2:02 pm

I am not a pastry or scones (too dry- like you said) person. But I love LOVE bacon and cheese!

Tina — January 21, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

I’m not a huge scone or pastry person either. Except when I was in France. Then that was a different story. Thank God for having to walk everywhere when I was there. LOL I’ve never seen cinnamon chips. That’s interesting. Maybe it’s because I don’t bake enough.

PS – I am sooooo a baked goods person. Will you come make me something? :)

homecookedem — January 21, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

I love, love, love, love, love, love, love, LOVE scones!! haha!! Just wanted to make sure you knew how much I love them!! ;) They look amazing!! Never heard of cinnamon chip scones before and I bet they are outta this world!! :)

Katharine — January 21, 2010 @ 2:54 pm

That looks SO GOOD. Must try! Thank you, as always, for another delicious treat!

janetha b — January 21, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

youre killin me smalls. those look so freaking amazing!!

Kristi — January 21, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

Oh, these look amazing!!!!! I’m going to head out in this rain just to buy the cinnamon chips and make these tonight. Yummmm, I wish we were next door neighbors~

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — January 21, 2010 @ 3:37 pm

I’m not really a fan of scones…but those cinnamon chip ones may have twisted my arm into trying them…

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils — January 21, 2010 @ 3:58 pm

Gorg pictures! I used to be a scone aficionado when I was a kid – weird huh?

Gabriela — January 21, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

I’ve never seen cinnamon chips! Those scones look awesome. I’m definitely a sugar/pastry person more than a bacon/cheese one, but we share a love of chocolate!

Katie — January 21, 2010 @ 4:46 pm

Oh my gosh! My aunt makes these all the time!!! I have made them a few times (they are my FAVORITE EVER!) however, cinnamon chips aren’t sold in Colorado…boo, hiss. Yours look phenomenal.

Shelley — January 21, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

this recipe sounds so delicious!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 21, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

This post seriously made me laugh out loud – you are freakin’ hilarious!!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 21, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

My husband would gobble these up. He LOVES scones. And the Cinnamon Chips would be perf for him. He’s not necessarily a choc person. In general, i dont think men crave it like women do, but of course there are exceptions to that rule! but cinny chips sound lovely. You bacon, non veggie loving hot chica you :)

heather — January 21, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

so tastey. this looks AMAZING (like every single thing that you post)

can you please create a recipe for my 27th birthday treat? something really yummy. and fairly easy so i can’t mess it up. that i can bring to work- or just suggest something? oxoxox

Nicole — January 21, 2010 @ 7:49 pm

I didn’t know you didn’t like veggies! How funny!

I’ve never even heard of cinnamon chips — they sound awesome! The scones look great. I love MOIST scones! If they’re too dry I don’t go for’em!

Jessica (Fit and Clean) — January 21, 2010 @ 8:17 pm

I am going to have to find cinnamon chips. The scones look delish! And I like the new look to the blog! Very nice :)

Yum Yucky — January 21, 2010 @ 8:33 pm

Ooo-la-la! This is one of best things I’ve seen ’round blog land.

Shannon @ bakeandbloom.com — January 21, 2010 @ 8:42 pm

*squeals* Jess the new layout is super cute! I love it

Hmm, cinnamon chips. You Americans don’t know how lucky you are with such things in your grocery store. You have 3 choices of “chip” at home dark choc, milk choc & white choc. No butterscotch morsels, no peanut butter peices..nada!

I guess I could just sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. :)

Amy @ Cheerful Cookery — January 21, 2010 @ 8:43 pm

My three-year old eats cinnamon straight – I just pour a little pile out on a napkin for him when I’m baking and he dips his finger in it. I think if he knew these chips existed he would think he died and went to heaven! These look delicious!

Chloe @ Project Live Well — January 22, 2010 @ 3:57 am

Oh my, this looks AMAZING!! Definitely bookmarking this one to try when I get some free time.

LOVE the new look of your web site.

Chloe

Anna — January 22, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Am I a scone person? Ha ha ha. I am, sadly, a total everything person. Maybe the eternal quest of fitting into my jeans would be easier if I just “didn’t like bread.” As if.

These look like the perfect Sunday morning treat! Delectable!

1. Pingback: Cinnamon Chip Scones » Tasty and Trim

2. Pingback: Chocolate Cinnamon Scones with Vanilla Sauce | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Flavors of the Season « Blog is the New Black

4. Pingback: Blog is the New Black » Blog Archive » Cinnamon Chip Scones

5. Pingback: Scrumptious scones « Musings of a Midwestern Girl

6. Pingback: Maple Bacon Brown Sugar Scones | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Numbers on the Scale « This Italian Family

8. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #40 – Cinnamon Chip Scones « Ella Rose Entertaining

9. Pingback: Almond Joy Scones | How Sweet It Is