Cobb Salad.

Please update your google readers!http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

Whoa.

Before you get all excited about these vegetables, I must tell you I only had a few bites. I haven’t turned my back on you.

I’d eat more, but veggies make me nervous. They make me sweat. Give me a rash. Hurt my tastebuds. Make me cry.

You know. The usual stuff.

But, I do like the occasional cobb salad. Know why? Because it is usually chock-full of bacon, cheese, and other non-vegetable items. Fantastic for me!

I made one with chicken for my adoring husband.

IMG_3153

Without the chicken, he would have started to grow horns, and shrink into a munchkin with tiny feet and big ears. At least that is what he assumes.

On second thought, I guess then he could drive around in the plethora of dye-cast cars he has ruined our home with.

On a bed of lettuce I added pretty, colorful rows of red onion, bacon, tomato, hard-boiled egg, chicken, and avocado.

IMG_3154

I’m sure it doesn’t take a genius to figure out which parts I ate.

The star of the show was the avocado. I jumped for joy when I found a perfectly ripe avocado in Pittsburgh in January.

Yes, I had to sell me first unborn-child to buy it, but it was totally worth it.

Sometimes vegetables are pretty. Sometimes I wish I liked them.

IMG_3155

Sometimes I wish they were chocolate.

Oh wait. That’s all the time.

Since this is a heavier salad, we prefer to use a lighter citrus dressing. Leaves more room for the bacon!

IMG_3157

Cobb Salad

Serves 1

2 cups green leaf lettuce

3 oz grilled chicken, chopped

4 slices bacon, fried and chopped

2 beefsteak tomatoes, chopped

1/2 red onion, chopped

2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped

1/2 avocado, chopped

salt & pepper to taste

Layer the bed of green leaf lettuce on a shallow plate. Add chopped veggies in rows. Top with dressing.

dressing:

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 tablespoons lime juice

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

1 teaspoon sugar

1/8 teaspoon salt

IMG_3158

Have you made cobb salads before? What fun things do you add in?

If it is a vegetable, I won’t lie. I probably won’t eat it. But if you like to add in bacon, cheese, chocolate, mashed potatoes, nachos, or Starbucks full-fat frappachinos, I’m game.

53 Responses to “Cobb Salad.”

BB — January 13, 2010 @ 8:32 am

It is sweet no doubt.

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) — January 13, 2010 @ 8:43 am

I did a salad post last night! I love crazy mixed up salads. They are definitely not just for vegetables!

Gaby — January 13, 2010 @ 8:43 am

omg I love cobb salads too! This looks great – and I love your pictures!

Erica — January 13, 2010 @ 8:53 am

You crack me up- I’m such a veggie lover ;) The salad is just so colorful! Its like a food rainbow ;)

Koek! — January 13, 2010 @ 8:58 am

Beautiful salad. I agree – it looks like a rainbow!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — January 13, 2010 @ 8:59 am

Such pretty colors you got going on here. I love eating cobb salads with ranch dressing! I make mine with fake chicken and bacon though. :)

Julie @savvyeats — January 13, 2010 @ 9:16 am

I’m not usually a big Cobb salad fan, but I do love eating the hard-boiled eggs off of them! And avacado, mmmm…

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — January 13, 2010 @ 9:22 am

LOVE me a cobb salad. Of course the best parts are the cheese, bacon, egg and avocado. Oh and I’m up for any nuts that are added in there as well…walnuts…almonds…whichever. YUM!

Sarah Jayne — January 13, 2010 @ 9:22 am

HAHA! everything in the made me laugh. you really do crack me up :)

UMM, ms gorgonzola?! You forgot da best part!!

pam (pamcakes and eggs) — January 13, 2010 @ 10:03 am

I’m excited to find another Pittsburgh food/fitness blogger! I came across your blog on Caitlin’s. So Excited! I thought food bloggers only existed in Florida. Ha

Kelly B. — January 13, 2010 @ 10:17 am

I’m with you….I am not a huge Cobb Salad fan but the husband is…so he will LOVE this!

Sana — January 13, 2010 @ 10:33 am

But you do have bacon! It makes up for the veggies, no?

Ally (Sweet & Savory) — January 13, 2010 @ 10:45 am

Cobb salads are probably my fave salad….I’m not much for those spinach salads that everyone raves about:)

Melinda — January 13, 2010 @ 11:01 am

Awesome looking salad!

Linda — January 13, 2010 @ 11:12 am

I love cobb salads but never make them at home. Too much work!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 13, 2010 @ 11:30 am

I love cobb salads! Probably one of my favorites :)

Casey @ Spicy&Sweet — January 13, 2010 @ 11:35 am

What a beautiful salad! :)

Veggies—meh. I’m with you :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — January 13, 2010 @ 11:51 am

LOVe cobb salad also beacuse they are usually chopped and i LOVE chopped salads…dried cranberries are the best addition! i don’t like bacon so i would do without that but sub it for turkey breast or chicken breast. It is one of the only salads i loev with blue cheese!

• Jessica — January 13th, 2010 @ 11:54 am

I’m all about the chopped salads, too! Makes it easier to force down the veggies. :)

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — January 13, 2010 @ 12:23 pm

You are too funny! I love veggies and especially salads! You know what goes good on salads? Roasted sweet potatoes and peas! YUM!

Amanda — January 13, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

Hello fellow Pittsburgher! You sound just like my husband with the veggies. I’m a salad lover so this looks fab to me!

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils — January 13, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

So beautiful how you arranged it! I think it’s hysterical you don’t like vegetables. I seriously can not imagine feeling that way.

Have you tried veggies roasted until crispy? My bf is not the hugest fan of veggies but he’ll chow down on sweet potato/carrot fries any day.

• Jessica — January 13th, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

Oh yes. Yes I have. And I like sweet potatoes. Its the green and other fun-colored, fibrous veggies I am not a fan of. :)

Stef — January 13, 2010 @ 12:48 pm

you and your vegphobia..so funny! that looks yummy

Therese — January 13, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

“I guess then he could drive around in the plethora of dye-cast cars he has ruined our home with”

That literally made me laugh out loud. You are trip!

Salad looks delish as well :)

Lara (Thinspired) — January 13, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

OMG–why does this look so good right now?! I have never made a cobb salad at home and rarely order it in restaurants, but this is maybe the best lookin’ cobb salad I have ever seen. Seriously. And the dressing sounds delicious–not too heavy like you normally get with cobb salads.
    So basically I am in love with it! ;)

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — January 13, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

Okay so I use to hate, HATE vegetables and then one day I started eating them and one day I decided I liked them and now I’m vegetarian. One day you’ll love veggies too! =)

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — January 13, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

LOVE cobb salad. I try to go without dressing usually too. Or if I want to go balls out, it’s ranch ;)

The Candid RD — January 13, 2010 @ 1:25 pm

YUM! It looks like a restaurant style cobb! Only you Jessica, could make such a fantastic work of art :) And, it probably tastes a million times better than any restaurant!

janetha b — January 13, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

sorry i am a tad behind on your blog! that is exciting about the cookbook and i LOVED those cute little tarts. cobb salad is my go-to when eating out. i just love all the components!

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — January 13, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

Hey a few bites of veggies are better than nothing!! This dish is soo colorful :)

Niki — January 13, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

I think avocados should always be the star of the show!

Kacy — January 13, 2010 @ 2:24 pm

I’m loving avocadoes right now.

Lauren — January 13, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

I’m digging the way you lined up the vegetables. That way you can make sure to get a little piece of everything on your fork. :-)

Lisa — January 13, 2010 @ 3:01 pm

YUM!!! What a great looking salad!

carolinebee — January 13, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

OMG how did u knowwww Cobb Salads are my faveee!!! Any salad with bacon, yes please :D

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen — January 13, 2010 @ 3:52 pm

i adore cobb salads…mmmmmmm…with homemade ranch! so tasty!

JocelynEatsFresh — January 13, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

mmm your cobb salad looks like the perfect cobb salad to me :)

Simply Life — January 13, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

oh that salad looks great!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — January 13, 2010 @ 6:11 pm

I’m not a huge fan of egg in salads, so I usually shy away from the cobb, but yours is kind of intriguing me…

Meghan@traveleatlove — January 13, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

I love Cobb salad!

megan — January 13, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

that salad looks professional! I’ve never made a cobb salad before…chopping vegetables is so much work. the outcome seems worth it though :)

Blond Duck — January 13, 2010 @ 7:21 pm

I’ve always heard of cobb salads and turned my nose up, as I am not a salad girl. Little did I know they had eggs, bacon and chicken. I am now desperate to try one!

Allison (Eat Clean Live Green) — January 13, 2010 @ 7:51 pm

Your cobb salad is beautiful! I love salads with lots of other, non-veggie, deliciousness in them :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 13, 2010 @ 8:26 pm

I have never had a cob salad – but this post is freakin’ hilarious!

Amanda — January 13, 2010 @ 8:28 pm

That looks amazing Jessica!! Your pictures are great too. You never cease to amaze me with your talents!

Blessings-
    Amanda

sophia — January 13, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

lol, anything with bacon, and it rocks. Seriously, what CAN’T bacon do! It even made you eat salad!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — January 14, 2010 @ 5:36 am

The salad is beautiful! That is so funny about the light dressing so you have more room for bacon. My boys LOVE bacon too!

Southern Gal — January 14, 2010 @ 5:55 am

Wow. Your blog is sinful…just sinful. I LOVE it. I got here from Amy at She Wears Many Hats. Seeing as how I have to lose my holiday weight I don’t know if I should visit that often. But I’m already hooked. Yikes.

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — January 14, 2010 @ 7:37 am

I loves me a good cobb salad. I’ll trade your husband his avocado. ;-)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 14, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

I love cobb salads… Chicken and avocado and bacon… what could be better?

Gliding Calm — January 16, 2010 @ 9:20 pm