Mother Lovett was famous for her coconut cream pie. I was famous for eating it.

Since I have barely mastered her pie crust recipe, I have yet to make a coconut cream pie.

In that case, I made the next best thing – coconut cream cupcakes!

I love coconut. I will happily eat it in anything.

My husband on the other hand, hates coconut. I’ve attempted to sneak it into dishes and desserts, but he always finds it. The only reason I attempt sneaking it in is because that strategy works with other foods he does not like, such as ricotta cheese. He thinks he hates it, but he has eaten it many times. Same goes for figs. And almonds.

Last night, he told me that he didn’t like ‘broiled’ chicken. I then went through a list of dishes that he had eaten in the past month with chicken that had been broiled – wraps, quesadillas, the tuscan lemon chicken that almost burnt our house down …

Yes, I shot down that one.

Alas, I still don’t think he will ever go for my beloved coconut. Perhaps if I smother it with 6 different cuts of meat, he might?

I adapted my own recipe for vanilla bean cupcakes, using some coconut milk and heavy cream in the batter.

The cake came out creamy and rich, even before I added the frosting.

The toasted coconut garnish topped it off. I love coconut, but love it toasted even more.

Coconut Cream Cupcakes

makes about 16 cupcakes

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 cup coconut milk

1/4 cup heavy cream

3/4 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs together until fluffy. Add vanilla and mix.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the coconut milk and heavy cream. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in shredded coconut.

Pour into cupcake tins and bake for 20-25 mins at 350. Let cool, then frost.

Coconut Cream Frosting

1 stick butter, softened

2-8 oz blocks of cream cheese, softened

1.5 – 2 lbs powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

4 oz package Jello instead coconut cream pudding

toasted coconut for garnish

Cream butter and cream cheese. Add powdered sugar gradually and mix. Add in instant pudding mix. Mix until desired consistency. Frost cupcake and top with toasted coconut.

As I was writing this, I just remembered that my husband has eaten coconut. Sam’s Club makes a coconut shrimp that is battered and fried and artery-clogging delicious.
This just proves my theory that he has eaten everything that he says he hates.
I am always right.

64 Responses to “Coconut Cream Cupcakes.”

Evan Thomas — January 30, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

I think somebody needs to get some coconut oil in their pantry. You would have a BLAST with it–so smooth and creamy, omg I could eat some with a spoon right now

• Jessica — January 30th, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

I do have some coconut oil! Use it all the time. :) Just ordered some coconut butter, too!

Ameena — January 30, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

I am not a big coconut fan either but these look like they might make me change my mind! Beautiful pictures!

Duchess of Fork — January 30, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

Jessica, why are you torturing me like this! I just told you that my sweet tooth has gotten out of control! I’ll be book marking these for a special occasion. :)

Scorpio Woman — January 30, 2010 @ 7:40 pm

I love coconut. Thanks for the recipe :)

Katie — January 30, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

I also love coconut EVERYHING, and my husband also thinks he hates lots of things that he eats all the time. Boys are so silly.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — January 30, 2010 @ 8:01 pm

Okay, I know I say this about every single one of your recipes, but lady, these look incredible! I bought coconut the other day to put in some granola I was making and I can’t keep my hand out of the bag!

One Healthy Apple — January 30, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

I love coconut! Love the story that goes along with it. Of course these look like little pillows of heaven. Enjoy!

Stephanie — January 30, 2010 @ 8:14 pm

Ummm can you teleport me some of these delicious looking cupcakes pleaseeeeeeeee?!?!?!? hahaha they look so good! I adore coconut, add it to my oats every morning and am also on a coconut oil kick (even wash my face with the stuff, it’s amazing)… I must make these soon!!! :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — January 30, 2010 @ 8:16 pm

Oh wow those sound delicious!!! I’m slightly strange in that I LOVE coconut, the flavor of it, but I can’t stand coconut in shredded form. It’s a texture thing. But those cupcakes might convince me to give it another try.

And that’s so funny about your husband!! My mom and I do that to my dad all of the time.. men..

Mae @ OhhMay — January 30, 2010 @ 8:24 pm

These look so delicious!!I hate how the unsweetened coconut never looks pretty. The frosting recipe reminds me of my grandma’s frosting (AKA my dinner every night when I was little)… It was 1 pack of coconut, vanilla, or chocolate pudding mix, 1 tub of cool whip and 1/2 c. powdered sugar. It was actually really good, especially on icecream cakes because it stayed soft.
    :-D

Kristi — January 30, 2010 @ 8:38 pm

Everything you make looks so incredibly good!

homecookedem — January 30, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

Your cupcakes look like a picture from a magazine!! Gorgeous!! I’m actually not a big coconut fan, but my husband is. I might see if I can make a gluten free version of these for his birthday!! :)

Julie @SavvyEats — January 30, 2010 @ 9:05 pm

Based on my previous experiences with your cupcakes, these are probably awesome. Yum!

And of course you are always right!

Pink Panda — January 30, 2010 @ 11:00 pm

I’m gonna have to go with your husband on this one, not a huge fan of coconuts. The cupcakes look pretty tasty though, regardless :).

Shelley — January 30, 2010 @ 11:20 pm

ha love what u said about alwyas being right :) i am so the same way !! delicious recipe

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 31, 2010 @ 12:33 am

off the rickter scale!!!!!!!!
    these also spark my interest: vanilla bean cupcakes,
    as does anything loaded w/ frosting :)
    Girl. Please come bake for me! xoxo

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — January 31, 2010 @ 5:16 am

3 cheers for being always right! And for these cupcakes!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 31, 2010 @ 6:23 am

I ADORE coconut cream pie! And coconut cake!! And ANYTHING with coconut :-) Thanks for sharing!

Gabriela — January 31, 2010 @ 6:28 am

Gorgeous cupcakes…I love coconut!

Melinda — January 31, 2010 @ 6:42 am

Looks great as usual. I wish when I made cupcakes (which at this rate is next to never) I could get the icing as pretty as yours.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — January 31, 2010 @ 7:02 am

oh my do those look good!

Erica — January 31, 2010 @ 7:37 am

oh my gosh- these look so good! I want to make mini cupcake versions. I sneak foods my husband “doesn’t” like in too- always makes me secretly giggle :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — January 31, 2010 @ 8:11 am

hahaha…my husband does the same thing sometimes :)

and i agree, toasted coconut is heavenly, and these cupcakes look perfect :)

Marisa (Loser for Life) — January 31, 2010 @ 8:19 am

They look to.die.for.!

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — January 31, 2010 @ 8:26 am

I’m sure the cream pie is fantastic but these cupcakes look so amazing…! Love the toasted coconut. I love coconut anything…!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) — January 31, 2010 @ 9:16 am

How does someone NOT like coconut!? Oh man oh man I live for coconut….in virtually anything! Especially macaroons :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 31, 2010 @ 9:29 am

I love coconut too – but my hubby isn’t a big fan either!

Kelly — January 31, 2010 @ 9:30 am

Mmm…you are seriously a gal after my own heart! LOL
    LOVE coconut.

Annnnd…I have a birthday coming up in February.

These might have to make an appearance!

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — January 31, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

Holy YUM. I also love coconut, and just put some in my homemade granola bars I made today…..I also have a Barefoot Contessa Coconut Cupcake mix I got for x-mas that I need to use up. I’m excited to try it, and then make yours!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — January 31, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

Beautiful cupcakes! I used to not like coconut either but things change when you have it baked up nicely.

adrienmelaine — January 31, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

Those look amazing!

And of course you’re always right- you are from the superior sex- I told my boyfriend the other day that he was lucky he had me to run his life- he didn’t get it because apparently he’d “made it fine the last 26 years of his life”; I simply told him that he couldn’t call that living..

Meghan@traveleatlove — January 31, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

You seriously make the most delicious looking food on earth!

Lauren — January 31, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

OMG girl, these look out of this world! I adore coconut in desserts. I know that some people despise the taste of coconut, but I can not understand how one could dislike such a good thing. Wow, thank you so much for this recipe. Now, if only I could bake…LoL

Hope you are well hun!

Blond Duck — January 31, 2010 @ 7:04 pm

They have coconut chicken and tilapia! Personally, I love coconut cream pie…though I wouldn’t turn down a few dozen of these cupcakes…

Cheryl — January 31, 2010 @ 7:28 pm

I can eat coconut anything too, but for some reason I dont like coconut drinks!

Have you tried making coconut chicken? so yum!

Karla — January 31, 2010 @ 8:32 pm

HOLY YUM! I LOVE COCONUT!
    These will definitely be on the menu at my next gathering that requires a cake (aka maybe a birthday??).
    The frosting sounds really interesting!

Sarah — January 31, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

Mmmm….*reaches for one*

Allie — January 31, 2010 @ 9:05 pm

Hey – I’m a first time commenter, but I thought I would let you know how much I love reading your posts. Your recipes always look amazing. I’m really looking forward to trying out these cupcakes. Cupcakes are the best!

The Candid RD — February 1, 2010 @ 6:29 am

I can’t believe I used to HATE coconut. Now I love it. These look so amazing. I’m supposed to stay away from coconut because of my intolerance to fructose, but sometimes I still eat it, it’s just so good!

Have a great day Jessica!

Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear — February 1, 2010 @ 7:12 am

I am also in the “coconut only if fried covering shrimp” boat. That must be why hubby and I get along so well :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — February 1, 2010 @ 7:43 am

these look so decadent and delish and BEAUTIFUL!!! I think i hate certain foods too then i eat them and think “oh well FINE, I like them today, but normally I dont” hahaha I think it depends how certain foods are prepared. I HATE pine nuts but really like them only if they are toasted. Raw? forget about it!!

LOVE THESE CUPCAKES!

Kitchen Monki Dan — February 1, 2010 @ 8:21 am

I’m making these tonight for my wife :)

Crystal — February 1, 2010 @ 10:23 am

I totally do the same thing with my fiance…sneaking in foods he “doesn’t like” into recipes and most of the time it works! He never knows until I say something like, “So, what do you think of (fill in the blank)?” and then the jig is up. He’s usually OK with it though, luckily! :)

Mr. How Sweet It Is — February 1, 2010 @ 10:54 am

Caitlin,

Between the swearing and drinking and general dislike of coconut, we are blogging kindred spirits!

Dimitry — February 3, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

I love coconut but my wife on another side likes it only on shrimp, I will have to try to convince her some way to give this a try,

Maybe I’ll bribe her. :))

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — February 4, 2010 @ 9:43 am

Your cupcakes look wonderful! I love coconut… I’m thinking these would be perfect for Easter. I always get in a coconut mood in the spring!

Kayla — January 22, 2011 @ 4:03 am

If I don’t have coconut milk could I use coconut extract?

• Jessica — January 22nd, 2011 @ 4:06 am

You could use a teaspoon of coconut extract to flavor it, but you don’t want to replace the liquid measurement with that. I would just use milk instead.

Adamarie — June 4, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

As soon as I found this recipe I knew I had to make it. They were amazing. Thank you so much for the recipe.

Nelle — July 19, 2011 @ 6:32 pm

I’m having trouble finding instant coconut pudding mix :( I’m dying to make these and have checked 4 different stores! Did you find it at a chain store or something more specialized?

Annie Broach — August 30, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

I just made these! They were super easy and delicious of course! Thanks for the recipe.
    Here are a few pics:

1. Pingback: Quadruple Chocolate Loaf Cake. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Flour, Flour, Flour.. « Life Undeveloped.

3. Pingback: birthday cupcakes, fries, and shakes! | Skrinkering Hearts