Please update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

My husband and I love risotto, but until recently had never made it ourselves. We used many box mixes that were pretty tasty, but I was sick of adding those flavored powders to the dish. I’d rather make it myself and add real ingredients.

I realized this a little too late, given that my husband came home from Target with 15 boxes of flavored risotto. It is rapidly becoming one of his obsessions, but I’m sure within 6 weeks it will be over.

How can I be so sure? We have enough diet Mountain Dew, egg beaters, onions, and pretzel crisps to feel a small country. Those were all obsessions that have now gone by the wayside. Anyone want to come grocery shopping at our home?

Risotto is quickly becoming one of my favorite dishes to cook. I can’t wait to make variation after variation. The options are endless.

I toasted up the rice in some olive oil and garlic until it was translucent.

IMG_3080

It made the entire house smell so incredible. I love the smell of sauteed garlic.

When it was finished, I stirred in some parmesan cheese.

IMG_3096

A few tablespoons for my husband, and a giant cupfull for myself. I like to live on the wild side.

The consistency was perfect. I molded some in a ramekin to make it look pretty.

IMG_3097

Don’t worry – we never eat pretty meals. My husband is usually so raging and ravenous that his food ends up in a big slop pile on his plate. He mixes everything together.

Aestically pleasing? No.

Pleases him so he doesn’t remain a hungry, angry husband? Yes.

Mission accomplished.

IMG_3099

Parmesan Risotto

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup arborio rice

1/4 cup white wine

~ 20 oz chicken stock (vegetable, beef, seafood, etc can also be used too!)

1/3 cup parmesan cheese

In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil and garlic until fragrant. Add rice and continuously stir until translucent, about 6-8 minutes. Add stock in 1/2 cup increments and bring to a simmer, continuing until the liquid is absorbed and the rice has reached the desired consistency. Stir occasionally.

Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese.

IMG_3099

Have a great Thursday. :)

71 Responses to “Parmesan Risotto.”

Melinda — January 7, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

It looks really good. I love risotto, but at restaurants it can be tricky if they use chicken stock to make it. Even the shrimp risotto at the olive garden had chicken in it. Oh, and I would glady come shopping at your house for some of those pretzel crisps.

lynn @ the actors diet — January 7, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

i love making risotto b/c i like standing in front of a stove, since i’m kinda ocd.

Nicole — January 7, 2010 @ 7:29 pm

this looks SO good – if you want to be slightly healthy you can use short grain brown rice and it takes great too with a slightly nutty flavor!

Jenny — January 7, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

I recently made risotto for the first time, and was suprised at how easy it was! I love it, and I love your recipe. I also think my favorite part is drinking wine while it cooks ;)

Nicole — January 7, 2010 @ 7:40 pm

Oh my goodness, that looks FANTASTIC! Great pictures! Thanks for sharing, girl!

Cheryl — January 7, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

I love risotto, but have yet to make it either! I have a pumpkin risotto recipe somewhere I think I need to try asap! Thanks for another great recipe/fun post!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — January 7, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

Sounds delicious. I haven’t made risotto in a while! Love the parmesan cheese!

Bianca @ south bay rants n raves — January 7, 2010 @ 9:16 pm

It’s one of those “Why didn’t I think of that?” meals! Yum!

sophia — January 7, 2010 @ 9:49 pm

Ack, I keep telling myself to make risotto, but still have not tried it. I love risotto! And you made it even better with tons of Parm!

Kris | iheartwellness.com — January 8, 2010 @ 12:33 am

Oooo Girl! I love risotto! Thank you for sharing, this looks great :)

XXOO

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — January 8, 2010 @ 4:56 am

I’ve never made risotto but this looks like I recipe I could tackle.
    CHEERS!

Christina — January 8, 2010 @ 7:53 am

I lovee risotto. It looks so good and creamy!

matt — January 8, 2010 @ 11:05 am

risotto is supposed to run… not form into shapes. :)

Jenna — January 9, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Just found your blog! I love it and can’t wait to keep reading! I would love it if you could check out mine :)
    Jenna

Lisa — February 5, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

This looks amazing!! I am planning on trying it tonight but was wondering start to finish do you have an estimate of how long this takes to make? Just trying to plan my cooking times accordingly :)

• Jessica — February 5th, 2011 @ 5:00 pm

I would say about 30-35 minutes! Maybe even a little less.

• Lisa — February 5th, 2011 @ 10:27 pm

Perfect. Thanks so much, I cant wait to try it!

Ashley — May 24, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Yummo–I made this last night & it was GREAT!!! I chopped up a portobello cap, sauteed it in a lil butter & added it when the risotto was done– deelish:) Thanks for the recipe– I didn’t know risotto was so easy to make– just takes a lil patience!