Please update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

Geez. Ya’ll are gonna give a girl a complex with how much you love my brother.

He is pretty funny, isn’t he? That post was mild compared to his usual antics.

So. . .how ’bout some salmon?

This dish made me want to pull my hair out, but it is so so tasty. The key is to shred the potatoes, squeeze the bejesus out of them to remove the moisture, and pack ‘em on good.

I had some beautiful salmon just hangin’ around in my fridge.

IMG_3144

Because, really, don’t all 20-something newlyweds eat salmon and lobster for dinner?

I need to get a grip. And a safe for my debit card. And then I’ll throw away the key.

I cut the salmon into longer strips.

Then grated a few potatoes. I actually used peeled red potatoes.

IMG_3143

Looks like cheese, eh? I didn’t eat it, in case any of you were wondering. I know how you think.

This is just when I was beginning to pack on the shredded potatoes.

IMG_3145

It was challenging, and even more difficult when I added the salmon to the skillet. I tried coating a few pieces of salmon in dijon mustard, but the potatoes didn’t stay on any better, and the taste just didn’t jive with my tastebuds.

I ended up dipping the salmon in some beaten egg whites, then packing on the potatoes.

Another key step is to make sure the skillet is hot enough so the potatoes get brown and crispy. If you try to flip the salmon before the potatoes are finished, they will all fall off.

Once the potatoes were golden, I took the salmon out and baked it in the oven for a bit longer.

It came out perfectly!

IMG_3169

This really was such a treat, and such a different way to eat salmon. I loved how crispy the outside was, and how buttery the inside was.

If you plan on trying it, it requires some patience.

IMG_3172

We all know I don’t have patience. I don’t even know what that word means. Hmmpf.

If I can do it, you definitely can! Doesn’t it look scrumptious?

IMG_3171

Serve alongside some veggies, if you must.

Potato Crusted Salmon

Serves 4

1.5 lbs skinless, deboned salmon, cut into longer filets if possible

6 medium size potatoes, peeled and grated

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 egg whites, slightly beaten

salt & pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 400.

Heat skillet on medium-high heat and add 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Brush salmon with egg whites and thickly pack on potato shreds. Add to skillet.

Make sure potatoes are crisp and browned before flipped. Gently flip by pushing  a spatula  under the potato coating. It may take a few tries to get the hang of it. Use additional oil for the rest of salmon, if needed.

Once both sides are golden brown, place on a baking sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.

IMG_3173

Even though this dish is a bit on the tricky side, take the time to make it. It is totally worth it and extremely delicious.

And if you get super frustrated in the cooking process? Try a shot of whiskey. Just sayin.’

53 Responses to “Potato Crusted Salmon”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 15, 2010 @ 7:26 am

This recipe sounds great! A shot of whiskey would totally make the stress go away… ;)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — January 15, 2010 @ 7:42 am

Geez louise woman! You have my drooling over here!

Ally (Sweet & Savory) — January 15, 2010 @ 7:48 am

I don’t even like salmon, but this looks good to me!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 15, 2010 @ 7:51 am

This looks SO good, Jessica!! Seriously making me wish I could eat seafood :-)

Katharine — January 15, 2010 @ 7:55 am

Wow. Just wow. I am truly impressed! Looks divine. :)

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — January 15, 2010 @ 8:01 am

Ooh yay – love new ways to make salmon! So much more exciting (and pretty) than my standard baking method!

Julie @savvyeats — January 15, 2010 @ 8:09 am

So pretty! I keep thinking how pretty it would look next to a serving of roasted broccoli…but that’s how I roll ;)

Gabriela — January 15, 2010 @ 8:30 am

This salmon looks awesome! It’s one of my favorite fish, so I’m bookmarking this! Thanks!

Jenna@ Health and Happiness — January 15, 2010 @ 8:31 am

Yes veggies indeed and it would be a scrumptious meal! Great recipe!

Erica — January 15, 2010 @ 8:47 am

What a great idea! This would be perfect for kids who are fish fearful too! Another beautiful creation :) Have a good weekend

Gena — January 15, 2010 @ 9:08 am

How creative! I love the idea of crusting with potato, rather than with bread.

Casey @ Spicy&Sweet — January 15, 2010 @ 9:12 am

Mmm…what a fabulous idea!! Now I’m totally ready for an early lunch!! You need to write a cookbook girl. :) I would buy it. :)

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen — January 15, 2010 @ 9:14 am

can we try a shot of whiskey even if we don’t get frustrated in the process? :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 15, 2010 @ 9:14 am

Salmon is my fave fish – this sounds and looks delicious!

dawn — January 15, 2010 @ 9:19 am

I made this once with a hint of panko crumbs on the salmon (before the potato) and my stars so good.
    Nicely done.

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition — January 15, 2010 @ 9:23 am

That looks delicious! I new to cooking fish- I tend to over cook it each time! I just made some yummy Sole for my bf and stuffed with with mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, & spinach. hey- who said people in their 20s can’t eat good! (well with our budgets at least a few times a month haha)

xo
    Jocelyn

Kelly B. — January 15, 2010 @ 9:27 am

YUM! I will be honest, I am NOT a salmon fan unless it is disguised with other flavors. This will definitely do the trick and since my husband LOVES salmon this is going to be hit with us both!! Thanks Jess!

Emily (A Nutritionisteats) — January 15, 2010 @ 9:30 am

Such a pretty dish! The potatoes look so good and crunchy!!

Scorpio Woman — January 15, 2010 @ 9:33 am

It seems to be a great recuoe. But probably hard to do. If I try it, I’ll have the bottle of rum near me LOL

Tracy — January 15, 2010 @ 9:36 am

This looks great! I’ve been looking for more salmon recipes. We always have salmon because we buy the big club packs of them since want to eat more fish!

Sarah — January 15, 2010 @ 10:11 am

Great looking dish! My husband would love it! I will have to admit when lobster is on sale we buy it. I love it!

Jenny — January 15, 2010 @ 10:15 am

I appreciate your determination to try something until you get it right, so we don’t have to ;)

Kat — January 15, 2010 @ 10:34 am

Wow, that looks amazing! I never really thought of using potatoes that way! I’ll definitely have to try this!

Melissa — January 15, 2010 @ 10:43 am

The potato crust looks great. I’ve never been a huge fan of potatoes, but I have a feeling I’d like them this way. looks tasty!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — January 15, 2010 @ 10:50 am

hahaha I will be sure to take a shot of whiskey if I feel like pulling my hair out :) I love cooking with a glass of good wine, just makes the experience so enjoyable! I LOVE salmon I thnk I am making some tonight!! and yes…the potaters did look like cheese ;)

Shannon — January 15, 2010 @ 10:51 am

Wow! That looks amazing! I never would have thought of that. I am going to have to remember that next time I have salmon. Thanks!

casey — January 15, 2010 @ 10:53 am

this looks so good! usually when i potato encrust something i mix fresh grated potato w mashed potato flakes after using the egg wash.

Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear — January 15, 2010 @ 10:54 am

I’m down with the whole shot part. Everything before that? ehh, not so much. I’ll leave the fish trickery up to you Miss Thang :)

Shelley — January 15, 2010 @ 11:07 am

i love salmon- this sounds great.

Kacy — January 15, 2010 @ 11:47 am

See, this is what I was referencing when I said I wanted to marry your brother in order to be related to you :)

Angelalovesfood — January 15, 2010 @ 11:53 am

Holy cow, okay at first glance I thought you had topped coconut shred to the mix, but then I realized it was potato. Coconut would’ve been interesting btw, but potato is so interesting as well :)

too bad I have to wait a year to take that shot of whiskey!

Blond Duck — January 15, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

I love salmon and I just bought red potatoes at the store. Score!

Melinda — January 15, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

Now that’s what I’m talking about. Yummy!

The Candid RD — January 15, 2010 @ 12:56 pm

Fantastic recipe! And yes, it totally looks like cheese. hmmm, maybe it should be! nah, this looks great, thanks for sharing.

Jamie (Food in Real Life) — January 15, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

That is a great idea!! WOW! I love salmon and I’m always looking for new ways to make it even though I always make it the same way :)

homecookedem — January 15, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

What a creative salmon dish! I never would have thought that up… it looks so amazing! :)

Amanda — January 15, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

Well… salmon is so rare in this house I would be afraid to try this because I wouldnt want to wreck a perfectly good piece of fish! And I do love salmon. Yours look delightful!

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils — January 15, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

What a lucky husband you have! He gets gourmet meals and delicious desserts all the time. IMO if you’re going to spend $ on something, spend it on what you’re putting into your body.

BethT — January 15, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

I LOVE salmon and this recipe looks delicious!

Abby — January 15, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

Hmm.. my husband doesn’t like salmon any way but grilled, but I think he’d loooove this. So I’m gonna give it a whirl some night when we have salmon to use! You have such great recipes!!

Simply Life — January 15, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

wow this looks great!

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — January 15, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

wow, what an unexpected but DELICIOUS looking/sounding combo! The potato almost looks like tempura batter, but probably tastes soo much better :)

sophia — January 15, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

OMg. I was gonna make this soon! You got ahead of me, lol. It looks super, super super amazing. I don’t think mine would have come out half as good!

Koek! — January 16, 2010 @ 5:13 am

Scrumptious – it certainly does look it!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} — January 16, 2010 @ 7:12 am

Um worth it….I would say so! This potato crusted salmon looks great. Must try ’cause salmon is my favorite food. The crunch from the potato sounds so good!

Kelly — January 16, 2010 @ 9:03 am

mmm! i just recently fell in love with salmon, and it’s dan’s favorite, i’ll have to try this! ever glaze it with honey? de-lish!

Jessica (Fit and Clean) — January 16, 2010 @ 9:29 am

The salmon looks fantastic. I am taking some out of my freezer now to eat for lunch, although I don’t know if I have the patience to cook it with the potatoes. They may just end up on the side! ;)

Katie — January 16, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

Dang! Salmon is one of my favorite things on earth, it’s just so expensive! Next time I splurge, I’m definitely trying this recipe.

Janice — January 16, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

This looks great, I like the the potato crust on the salmon.

carolinebee — January 17, 2010 @ 8:48 pm

OMGah geeen-yus :D It’s like salmon..in a latke!!! hahaha love it. My roomie and I buy the huge costco salmon fillets, so cheap! Then we freeze the xtra portions for later, and feel like ballers eatin’ salmon while watching one of our 14 non-cable channels since we won’t pay for it, on our busted TV that we picked up off the street when we moved here :D

1. Pingback: What's For Dinner? » Blog Archive » Adventures With Mandoline