Please update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

Forgive me. Forgive me for posting this while you are working hard towards your New Year’s goals. Forgive me for eating all of this without sharing. But please keep reading.

This dish is worth it. ;)

It is another recipe from Barb, and was the most requested dish at her restaurant for years. To me, there is nothing like a good piece of fried zucchini. While we tend to stay away from fried food for the most part, there is something about having a slice of fried zucchini as an appetizer that is just fantastic.

I remember as a young girl that my mom made fried home-grown zucchini. While it was more ‘pan-fried’ than deep fried, it was utterly delicious and I still can taste it to this day.

I needed Barb to come help me with this recipe. If you think I am great in the kitchen, you are wrong. I am a complete goof. If Barb wasn’t with me I would have completely destroyed the dish, but now that I have a few under my belt, I feel confident in making them alone.

I performed surgery on 2 zucchinis, slicing them lengthwise. This was a task, to say the least.

IMG_3052

I don’t own a mandolin, mainly because I don’t trust myself with sharp objects. Thankfully, I’ve never cut myself mid-cook, but who knows what could happen in the heat of the moment? Sometimes my passion overwhelms me!

I learned that I should own a mandolin, because slicing these zucchini lengthwise was enough to put me in the nut house. Not to mention I almost jabbed my eye out 6 times. Fried eyeballs, anyone?

Ok that’s just gross. I apologize.

(Side note: If you don’t own a mandolin and slice the zucchini by hand, it may be a bit thick. Soak the zucchini in salted water to make it more flexible.)

Now comes the best part. Well, almost the best part. I consider the best part to be eating the dish, but hey, that’s just me.

Wrap the zucchini slices around a big, hunkin’ chunk of provolone.

IMG_3054

Yep, I said it. Please do as I say.

Stick the provolone wrapped zucchini on a bamboo skewer, and fry away.

IMG_3055

Sorry for the lack of frying pictures, but it is a bit tedious trying to snap a picture and work with hot oil.

I used a batter of bisquick + beer, and it worked out great. What also worked out great was finishing off the beer. Cooking can be rough sometimes.

Whatever your thoughts on fried food may be, I don’t think you can deny that this is a fantastic looking dish.

IMG_3056

Don’t hate it ’cause it’s beautiful.

The marinara and parmesan cheese complete this already mouth-watering snack.

According to Barb, once you have made it before, it is very quick and easy to make. Not only is it a party pleaser because it is so aestetically appealing, but each guest can pull a zucchini piece off of the skewer and enjoy.

The batter also came out light and fluffy, as opposed to being heavy and just sitting in your stomach. It was a nice change from restaurant fried food!

IMG_3057

This probably ranks up there as one of the best things I’ve ever ate. And being able to make it at home? That is just priceless.

IMG_3058

Provolone Stuffed Fried Zucchini

Makes 3 skewers

3 bamboo skewers

12 thin lengthwise-sliced pieces of zucchini

12 1-inch chunks of provlone cheese

1 1/2 cups warm marinara sauce

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

frying batter of choice

frying oil of choice

Once zucchini is sliced lengthwise, wrap it around a chunk of provolone and skewer it on the bamboo. Continue with the others, until each skewer has 4 pieces on each.

Make sure the frying oil is hot. Dip the skewer into the batter, then place in the oil. Fry about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.

To serve, lay on top of 1/2 cup of marinara sauce. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

IMG_3060

So before you disown me for leading you off the beaten path, just plan to make this someday. Maybe in the summer? On a cold, winter night?

Or on a Monday when you have sworn to eat more veggies and less fried food? Eek. I don’t know who would do that.

IMG_3061

Let’s be real.

We all know that this dish still gave me more veggies than I normally eat.

And if you are just drooling and have to make it this weekend? Check out my tips on how to avoid weight gain on the weekends.

With this baby, you may need it. :)

61 Responses to “Provolone Stuffed Fried Zucchini.”

Kristen @ SimplySavor — January 8, 2010 @ 7:55 am

yummm, these would be such a hit at a party!! and if it ranks as one of your top things you’ve ever eat then it HAS to be good! thanks for the awesome recipe!

MySensei — January 8, 2010 @ 8:05 am

Ummmm wow, its 10 am, just ate my breakfast and I am drooling! What a great idea for an app for shindigs. Can not waaait to try this, 2 of my faves Prov & Zucc! Thanks girl!!

Doniree — January 8, 2010 @ 8:22 am

I can’t stand how amazing that looks/sounds! You can bet I’ll be trying this!

homecookedem — January 8, 2010 @ 8:22 am

Haha, you are so funny! These look amazing!! Who said you can’t eat these when you’re trying to lose weight… they could definitely be fit in as long as you cut back a little at the next meal. ;) I’ll definitely have to try it sometime!!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — January 8, 2010 @ 8:23 am

Um those sound SO good… I have to try them out!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love — January 8, 2010 @ 8:26 am

Wow, these look amazing!

Cristie — January 8, 2010 @ 8:45 am

These do look and sound delicious . . . however I will have to wait to try them untili after the 10 pounds fall off. Thanks so much for stopping my by blog.

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — January 8, 2010 @ 8:51 am

Maybe next week after the eat clean promise has slipped to the back of my mind? Looks delish and gorgeous too…plus zucchini is one of my fave veggies!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen — January 8, 2010 @ 8:52 am

why why why??? why do you have to make such GREAT food? :)

looks delish, i’m thinking good for a Super Bowl party!

Kelly B. — January 8, 2010 @ 8:55 am

Why do you do this to us? haha…looks awesome! And I totally agree with Heather that this would be great for a superbowl party!

Erica — January 8, 2010 @ 9:35 am

I forgive you because this looks totally incredible. I’ve only had fried zucchini once and it was yummy. Hope you have a great weekend :)

A@ Please Don't Eat Me! — January 8, 2010 @ 9:45 am

i love fried zuchinni!!! nice job girl! it looks delish!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 8, 2010 @ 10:32 am

Jessica! You really out did yourself with this! These looks delicious!!!!

Mellissa — January 8, 2010 @ 10:42 am

Do you use a fryer or just oil in a pot?

• Jessica — January 8th, 2010 @ 10:49 am

I just used oil in a pot, but I do own a deep fryer. Haven’t broke it out yet!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing — January 8, 2010 @ 10:47 am

oh my, this looks amazing!! like something out of a magazine :)

Shelley — January 8, 2010 @ 10:51 am

this looks really good. i really really like zuchinni!

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — January 8, 2010 @ 10:57 am

What are you talking about, that is totally healthy!!!
    I see 2 vegetables: zucchini and tomatoes (in the marinara). There is cheese, so you get the dairy group. Then you even get something from the beer group…

Cheryl — January 8, 2010 @ 11:26 am

Amazing! What a great twist!

Abby — January 8, 2010 @ 11:26 am

Love at first sight. Oh my goodness, I can’t wait to try these.

kay (eating machine) — January 8, 2010 @ 11:36 am

i wonder if that’d be enough to make the fiance eat zucchini

Sook — January 8, 2010 @ 11:37 am

Wow… that looks amazing! Something I’d definitely try. :)

Low — January 8, 2010 @ 11:47 am

That looks insanely good. I am a sucker for fried cheese.

Yum Yucky — January 8, 2010 @ 11:51 am

You’re darn right you need forgiveness! Mmmm. look at those pics.

julie — January 8, 2010 @ 12:13 pm

oh my god girl those look amazing!! they look like the perfect appetizer to bring or have when you host a party :) no need to apologize for something that looks ultra delicious

Blond Duck — January 8, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

This might get my husband to EAT veggies.

The Candid RD — January 8, 2010 @ 12:18 pm

OHhhh, you are forgiven. This looks so good. I love provolone cheese, especially melted……yum! Nick would die if I made this. He’d think I had fallen and hit my head on the concrete. haha. Hey, it does have SOME nutritional benefits..I mean zucchini are super healthy! Thanks for the recipe :) Have a lovely weekend!

katie — January 8, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

fried zucchini!!! umm freaking yum!!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — January 8, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

Oh goodness that looks so amazing!

intheskinny — January 8, 2010 @ 12:44 pm

Mmmm. Fried cheese = good. The vegetables are a bonus. :)

One Healthy Apple — January 8, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

Zucchini is actually the one fried vegetable that I love! The whole thing looks so delicious that I would probably eat this all day if I made it and turn into one of those people who lives in her bed!

• Jessica — January 8th, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

Us too! It is one of the only fried things we eat.

Casey @ Spicy&Sweet — January 8, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

Ok…that looks AMAZING. I really admire all of your recipes, b/c I just don’t cook that much! I will be trying these :)

Jamie — January 8, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

I think I just broke my computer because I drooled all over it! (gross)
    But wow, that looks incredible!!

Good Taste. Healthy Me — January 8, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

oh you’re an evil lady!!! ;) I’ve gotta admit this looks amazing!

janetha b — January 8, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

wow.. this is the most clever recipe i have seen in a long time. you are such a whiz in the kitchen, jess! i am going to have to whip something like this up using string cheeeese because i have tons of it. have a fab weekend!!

Nicole (dishin') — January 8, 2010 @ 1:47 pm

Yummm! I could totally use some fried zucchini right now!

jenna — January 8, 2010 @ 1:54 pm

ohhhhhhhh my gosh! this looks so amazing!! Def on my to make list! :)

Nicole — January 8, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

my grandma makes the most amazing fried zucchini and I definitely take the splurge when she’s cooking…and with provolone….yum.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 8, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

“I don’t own a mandolin, mainly because I don’t trust myself with sharp objects.”
    GOOD! Dont get one. I have one and got a little too big for my britches and almost sliced my thumb off b/c I thought i didnt need the guard.
    The food was beautiful but not almost worth my thumb. Seriously, i am not a klutz but my mandolin freaks me out! ok your food looks great, and i love your comment that blogging has made you more vulnerable. That’s great that it’s helped you open up and breathe a little more freely and deeper :)
    xoxo

Anna-Lisa — January 8, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

Wow. Those look really really good!

Madeline- greens and jeans — January 8, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

I actually moaned outloud as I read this. Needless to say, I got some weird looks from my coworker!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 8, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

I am having an Italian dinner party soon – and those will be a perfect appetizer!! Thanks!!!

Melissa — January 8, 2010 @ 6:59 pm

Wow, I would take this appetizer over dessert any day!!!! I love cheese, zucchini…and the crisy fried outside doesn’t hurt. :)

I’m afraid to cook with hot oil so maybe I’ll ask my boyfriend to attempt this.

Simply Life — January 8, 2010 @ 7:10 pm

oh I love this! It’s so simple and they pair together so well! thanks!

Sarah — January 8, 2010 @ 8:22 pm

Foogasm going on over here! This involves all my favorites wrapped into one. I would love to make this but could not be trusted to each just one.

Kelly Burstow — January 8, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

OH YUM!!!

Sarah — January 8, 2010 @ 11:19 pm

Mmm, delish! Fry it in coconut oil to make it healthy. :)

Maxie — January 9, 2010 @ 12:25 am

Oh WOW. That looks unbelievably good. I dont know that i’m confident enough to fry something, but I will stare at the pics for a while longer.

Spiceaholic — January 9, 2010 @ 7:04 am

Now THIS is a way you can get me to eat zucchini. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny — January 9, 2010 @ 8:33 am

Oh man, I will agree that fried zucchini is the best. I always eat that out of the tempura plates at Japanese places.

Karla — January 9, 2010 @ 12:28 pm

That looks like heaven on a stick!

1. Pingback: Menu: Summer Cocktails. | How Sweet It Is