Please update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

I have always loved peanut butter, but when it comes to other nut butters – walnut, cashew, and almond – I don’t really care for them. It is most likely because they are not sweet enough for me. I have the sweetest teeth ever, if you couldn’t already tell.

Pecans are one nut that I truly love. Sure, I love them candied, in pie, and in ice cream, but I also love them plain, in salads, and crusted on meat or fish. Sweet or savory, I think they are fantastic.

What I love most about this pecan butter? I know exactly what is in it. Even when nutrition labels say the nut butter contains only nuts, I still am a bit skeptical. I prefer making it myself.

IMG_3179

I used my large food processor for this one. I have the biggest food processor you can get, and it is a beast. This nut butter was finished in 1-2 minutes.

IMG_3180

I added in vanilla extract, cinnamon, sea salt, and the tiniest drip of canola oil – literally less than a teaspoon. Not only did it look amazing, but it tasted fabulous, too. It was impossible not to taste it straight out the appliance. We know that is not unusual for me. :)

It came out beautifully! I love the creamy texture and the hint of spice.

IMG_3182

It would be perfect in oatmeal, in yogurt or ice cream, and is incredible with fruit. It may even be good on veggies, but since I don’t let those things enter my home, I wouldn’t know. We keep security tight at this house. No veggies allowed.

It was perfect on a banana.

IMG_3183

Vanilla Cinnamon Pecan Butter

Makes ~3/4 cup

10 oz whole pecans

1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/2 tablespoon cinnamon (more or less, depending on how you want it)

1/8 teaspoon sea salt

1/2 teaspoon canola oil

Add pecans into food processor and grind until the become pasty. Add in vanilla, cinnamon, and oil and process until creamy, roughly 1-2 minutes.

Serve on toast, fruit, yogurt, ice cream, or whatever you desire.

IMG_3185

This pecan butter is like eating dessert. Give it a go. Report back! :)

66 Responses to “Vanilla Cinnamon Pecan Butter.”

Evan Thomas — January 10, 2010 @ 9:01 am

Yum! You know me and my food processor :-) Once my pecan butter runs out I think I’ll try this recipe. Vanilla and cinnamon just go with everything

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — January 10, 2010 @ 9:35 am

Ooh what a great idea…! I love pecans…this looks amazing…especially with the vanilla & cinnamon? Mmm yum…wish I had that right now for my oatmeal!

Stef — January 10, 2010 @ 9:36 am

all of the veggies barred from your place have infiltrated mine! i’m having a hard time keeping up with them piling up in the fridge. pecan butter sounds great, and making your own nut butters is always the best!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — January 10, 2010 @ 9:49 am

Looks fab!!!

JocelynEatsFresh — January 10, 2010 @ 10:02 am

dreweeeeellll … looks delish!!! I love making my own almond butter :)

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — January 10, 2010 @ 10:25 am

This pecan butter looks so good! I love that you didn’t add any sweetener to it and the natural sweetness of the pecans get to shine through. I must give this one a try!

homecookedem — January 10, 2010 @ 10:53 am

You know, I’ve never seen pecan butter for sale in a store and never even eaten any. Now I can make it at home!! Thanks for the recipe!!

One Healthy Apple — January 10, 2010 @ 11:16 am

This sounds genius, Jessica! I eat pecans out of the bag enough as it is, but this would give the whole thing a purpose! Thanks for sharing!

Ally — January 10, 2010 @ 11:19 am

This looks fabulous! I plan on buying a new food processor on Friday when I go shopping, and I’m going to put pecans on my list as well, as I want to make this!

Shelley — January 10, 2010 @ 11:28 am

that sounds so good- so many good ideas from this blog. if only i had a food processor :(

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 10, 2010 @ 11:43 am

Ooh, I’ve been dying to make pecan butter! Now you’ve really got me thinking about it– this looks delicious!

Julie @savvyeats — January 10, 2010 @ 11:46 am

I love making nut butter from scratch. Yummmm

Kristen @ Change of Pace — January 10, 2010 @ 11:51 am

Oh no! That pecan butter might be a bad thing for me. I love all nut butters and can eat them out of the jar :) I’ll definitely be saving this recipe though!

Low — January 10, 2010 @ 11:58 am

Yum! Great idea.

janetha b — January 10, 2010 @ 12:14 pm

looks so dang good. i wish i could do pecans because i love the flavor but they really irritate my tongue!

Kelly B. — January 10, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

Okay I am reporting back! I saw your post and immediately went and made it! Me and Keith both loved it!!! It was perfect with breakfast this morning. You rock!

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — January 10, 2010 @ 12:24 pm

I can’t get into the other nut butters too!! I tried almond butter, but it’s just not the same. Although, I might use it in no-bake cookies to use it up?? (so expensive!!)

I’m dying to try this–also gives me another reason to buy a food processor, other than pesto!!

Sarah — January 10, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

WOW!!

I have been using my food processor for more recipes like this. My husband loves pecans and I am always looking for new ways to use them.

This looks amazing!!

The Candid RD — January 10, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

I’m with you on the nut butter issue, I’m all about peanut butter, and until I found Barney Butter, I really didn’t like any other “nut butters”. I have always wanted to try walnut butter, as I do like them more than pecans, so if I try this fantastic recipe I may use walnuts instead. I wonder if I could do this with a Magic bullet….the recipe sounds amazing! I have never tried my own nut butter. I will soon, for sure.

Cheryl — January 10, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

What a neat idea! I’ve never made anything like this and it looks fun and tasty!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad — January 10, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

I’ve been meaning to make my own nut butter for so long now. This post may have just given me the official kick in the pants!

Michelle(Snacks&Field) — January 10, 2010 @ 1:35 pm

Yummmm! That pecan butter looks soo good! I have a huge sweet tooth too, so I’m sure I would love it (especially with that banana!)

Madeline- greens and jeans — January 10, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

Wow. I love pecans, so this is definitely going on my to make list!

Katie @ cozydelicious — January 10, 2010 @ 1:46 pm

Yum! I love bananas slathered with nut butter of any kind. If veggies were allowed, I bet this would be wonderful on sweet potatoes, or even stirred into mashed sweet potatoes. I happen to have two huge bags of walnuts in my pantry… I may try it with walnuts instead of pecans. We’ll see what happens. Thanks!!

heather — January 10, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

must.get.food.processor. STAT.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 10, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

dessert?! how about breakfast lunch and dinner?! IM THERE! I love twists on the normal PB or nut butter!! so creative Jess :) wanna come over and make me some?!

Rachelle — January 10, 2010 @ 5:27 pm

pecans are my fave too. Can’t wait to give this a try. I am always just eating pecans by the handful.

Abby's Vegan Eats — January 10, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

OMG what an awesome, simple recipe!!! Thanks for sharing. I have a small food processor but Im thinking I could grind it up in batches!?
    This would be awesome warm pita!

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — January 10, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

Jessica! This is one I’m making tomorrow. I only have a small food processor, so making nut butters is a chore. However, this sounds delish and I have some pecans sitting in my cabinet right now waiting to be made into butter.

Eliza — January 10, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

I want your best make your BF love you and buy you presents birthday cake recipe. NOW! :) You are clearly phenemonal in the kitchen

katie — January 10, 2010 @ 5:58 pm

making this..seriously! YUMMMMM! thanks boo!

Angela — January 10, 2010 @ 6:02 pm

I love pecans they are probably my favorite of the nuts! Thanks so much for the recipe I’m gonna it make asap!

Karen — January 10, 2010 @ 6:14 pm

Oh dear Lord that sounds amazing!

megan — January 10, 2010 @ 7:31 pm

oh my gosh, this looks amazing. i agree with you about other nut butters. they’re not sweet enough. although i’ve only tried almond butter. i wonder if my tiny food processor could handle this without breaking? I might have to find out :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 10, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

the Vanilla Cinnamon Pecan Butter would kinda be like a mouthgasm for all my balls. raw balls. i could roll my balls around in your butter.

Before this gets x rated,ill just say i love ya hon! GREAT RECIPE! :)
    xoxo

Jessica (Fit and Clean) — January 10, 2010 @ 8:44 pm

Ohhhh…that looks so good! I am going to make that recipe tomorrow! Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 10, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

Mmmm, that does sound good! I agree about the other butters not being sweet enough – and I don’t even have a sweet tooth!

kay (eating machine) — January 10, 2010 @ 9:57 pm

mmmm cinnamon nut butter? sign me up

Nicole- Geek Turned Athlete — January 11, 2010 @ 1:31 am

Oh.my.gosh. This looks absolutely amazing! How do you keep yourself from eating it all once you make it? I wouldn’t be able to contain myself! ;)

Nicole — January 11, 2010 @ 5:08 am

I made your BBQ sauce – yum! Just blogged about it! : )

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — January 11, 2010 @ 5:22 am

I share your sweet tooth. Now if they could just make sweet sweeter! ;-)

Paige (running around normal) — January 11, 2010 @ 6:17 am

Mmmm I love making my own nut butters. Another good one is to put a drop of maple syrup in – it makes it taste like cookie dough!

Bonnie — January 11, 2010 @ 7:03 am

Looks delicious! But hey, you’re fibbing, veggies enter your home! I’ve seen proof of it in your archive recipes! Tsk Tsk! THanks for sharing.

Amanda — January 11, 2010 @ 7:15 am

You just might have converted from my aversion to pecans. ;)

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — January 11, 2010 @ 7:42 am

pecans are my FAVORITE nut and this looks good. unfortunately i do not think i will be making it because i know myself and i would eat the ENTIRE thing in one day. i wish i was kidding…

Casey @ Spicy&Sweet — January 11, 2010 @ 8:45 am

YUM.

That pretty much covers it.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — January 11, 2010 @ 8:56 am

That looks simply divine. If I make it I might never stop eating it…:)

Christina — January 11, 2010 @ 9:06 am

I don’t know why I still have yet to make my own nut butter. It looks so easy!

Nicole (dishin') — January 11, 2010 @ 9:07 am

This looks awesome and pretty easy, too!

Therese — January 11, 2010 @ 9:19 am

I love how you say sweet “teeth” lol. Gurl I am there with you.

I would love to try this but I get really nervous with my little food processor. It’s an attachment for our Cuisinart blender and works great, but I’m afraid nuts would burn it out…any thoughts?

Do you need the big guns to make your own nut butter?

1. Pingback: Smells Like Home | Fit Chick in the City