Please update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

We’ve been making our own pizza for years now, and I really think that it beats a lot of the pizza places around our home.

I always make a whole wheat crust, and it is 100% whole wheat. I find it is different from many wheat pizza crust recipes that I see, because many of them call for all-purpose flour.

I don’t add any white flour at all. The crust is nutty tasting, and a bit thinner and dense. We love thin crust, but if you prefer a more doughy crust, you may want to substitute some all-purpose flour for half of the wheat.

After the dough has risen, I roll it out then form it onto a baking sheet.

IMG_3188

We love square pizza slices. :)

I just add a bit of tomato sauce in order to not overshadow the barbeque chicken.

IMG_3189

My hubby loves tomato sauce. Me, not so much. He would swim in a vat of tomato sauce if he could. I wouldn’t join him. You know how veggies scare me.

Next come the toppings.

After the tomato sauce, I add on a layer of mozzarella cheese. Then comes the shredded chicken and carmelized onions.

IMG_3191

The onions are a hit. They make the pizza. You gotta try.

Equal drizzles of ranch and barbeque sauce go on next. Homemade barbeque sauce, to be exact!

IMG_3192

When it comes to pizzas, I use my same rule of thumb as I do with most dishes. I always make the wheat crust, and if it is just my husband and I, the toppings are usually reduced-fat options.

If I am making it for a party or a group of friends, I use full- fat toppings. The cheese always melts a bit nicer.

And I like my friends and family fatter.

To finish it off, I use a bit more mozzarella cheese, then a cheddar-jack blend. I love the cheddar combined with the chicken and barbeque sauce. It adds a nice, sharp flavor.

IMG_3193

After about 20 minutes in the oven, it becomes warm, cheesy and crisp. The barbeque chicken flavor is fabulous!

IMG_3196

The crust is thin with a fantastic, nutty wheat flavor. It is nice and crispy, too. I find it much more flavorful than regular pizza crust.

IMG_3198

There are some wonderful flavors on the pizza, too- cheesy and salty, with a hint of sweetness from the barbeque sauce and onions.

IMG_3200

Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza

100% Whole Wheat Dough

1 packet dry active yeast

3/4 cup warm water

~2 cups 100% whole wheat flour

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons olive oil + more to rub on bowl

1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix yeast and warm water and let sit until foamy. In a separate bowl, mix flour and salt together. Once yeast is foamy, add in olive oil and honey and stir. Mix into flour and kneed to create a dough. You may need to add a bit more flour if dough is too sticky.

Place in an olive oil-rubbed bowl and cover. Let rise for 2-3 hours.

Pizza

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup tomato sauce

2 cups mozzarella cheese

1 1/2 cups cheddar-jack cheese

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

8 ounces grilled, shredded chicken

2 medium red onions, carmelized

1/2 cup barbeque sauce

1/2 cup ranch dressing

Preheat oven to 400.

Form crust into baking sheet or pizza sheet. Brush with olive oil and minced garlic. Add tomato sauce and a 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Top with shredded chicken, carmelized onions, barbeque sauce, and ranch dressing. Add remaining mozzerella cheese and cheddar-jack. Sprinkle with parmesan.

Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Serve hot.

IMG_3201

IMG_3203

What are your favorite pizza toppings? We also love buffalo chicken pizza. Most of our pizzas are packed with meat, since I live with The Protein King.

If only I could convince him that the stuffed turkey is some form of protein. He’d probably eat that, too.

I love a good ole’ plain cheese pizza. Cheese is where it’s at.

With some bacon on it, too. Everything’s better with bacon.

75 Responses to “Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza”

Maria — January 11, 2010 @ 10:12 am

whole wheat crust is the best!

Kelly — January 11, 2010 @ 10:15 am

mmm that looks delish! how did the onions turn out? you know i don’t like them unless they’re practically tasteless

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 11, 2010 @ 10:19 am

I love onions on my pizza!

I’m still working on my pizza dough technique! My recipe is pretty similar, I think I just need to work on my technique :)

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — January 11, 2010 @ 10:20 am

BBQ chicken pizza was my absolute favorite thing for years! I would always want to go to California Pizza Kitchen on my birthday so I could have theirs…mmm yours looks so YUMMY!! My fave toppings are still the BBQ chicken – and also I love ricotta and broccoli!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — January 11, 2010 @ 10:25 am

I realllllly shouldn’t have read your post when I was hungry….
    I make almost the exact same pizza crust–I love the way it tastes with all whole wheat flour :) My favorite pizzas are bbq and buffalo chicken, and hawaiian. I pretty much love every veggie on a pizza too.

CookiePie — January 11, 2010 @ 10:27 am

WOW – that looks delicious! I think that would last about 9 seconds in our house :) And I love the whole-wheat crust! Will have to try this one.

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — January 11, 2010 @ 10:28 am

Oh, yay! Pizza is by far my *favorite* food, but I’ve yet to make my own whole wheat crust. That recipe seems really easy, though, so I’ll definitely have to give it a try :) I can’t wait to experiment with different cheeses and toppings, yummm!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen — January 11, 2010 @ 10:29 am

holy yum! i love bbq chicken pizza…one of the favorites for sure!

thanks for the delish recipe :)

Cindy Coniglio — January 11, 2010 @ 10:35 am

My mouth is watering. I will take this April 11th. Mark your calendar please!!

Natalie — January 11, 2010 @ 10:39 am

Oh.. my.. God.. this looks so delicious! I love BBQ Chicken Pizza and I already know I would enjoy this! I love the subtle sweetness from the sauce, and I am sure the caramelized onions are a great addition!

Darla Baerg — January 11, 2010 @ 10:43 am

“it makes my friends and family fat.” That cracked me up. This looks really good!

Paula — January 11, 2010 @ 10:48 am

Wow, this looks so delicious. I LOVE home made pizza and this is so much healthier than the one I make (mine uses a cheese scone recipe for the base). And caramelized onions??? LOVE!

Jenny — January 11, 2010 @ 10:48 am

As always, you crack me up.

I’ve come to realize that caramelized onions will pretty much make any dish you put them in! This pizza looks fantastic and I will be using the whole wheat dough recipe- I haven’t found a good one yet and you never steer me wrong!

And holy moly- the fig battle last night was fantastic. I was salivating. It wasn’t pretty.

Jenny — January 11, 2010 @ 10:50 am

Oh, and I love white pizza with olive oil, freshly minced garlic, basil leaves, freshly sliced tomatoes, olives and feta. Oh, who am I kidding? Pizza is pizza and I love pretty much any kind.

Good Taste. Healthy Me — January 11, 2010 @ 10:52 am

BBQ Chicken pizza is definitely one of my favorites! Yum yum!

Ally — January 11, 2010 @ 11:24 am

Yum! I might have to make this whole wheat crust, as I have all the ingredients for it! We love barbecue and also love buffalo style. And on my blog a couple of weeks ago, we did white pizza….alfredo sauce, tomatoes, cheese…..yum!

Blond Duck — January 11, 2010 @ 11:41 am

I love wheat pizza, and I can never find it anywhere! This looks so wonderful! BBQ and chicken…oh yum!

Erica — January 11, 2010 @ 11:45 am

So with you! We never get takeout pizza any more- we always make our own. I love the idea of making it into a square- so fun! And great toppings. Hope you have a good Monday

Emily (A Nutritionisteats) — January 11, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

Yum! I have never tried to make my own crust. (yeast scares me!) I’m going to have to get over it though! I love that you use 100% whole grain too!

Sarah (OC2Seattle) — January 11, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

“Everything’s better with bacon.” – So very Jeffrey Steingarten ;) Love it!

Pippa — January 11, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

Oh my gosh, I just came across your site and it’s wonderful! I suddenly have dozens of things I need to bake/cook…

julie — January 11, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

hahaha i love that your hubs would swim in a vat of tomato sauce. that’s hilarious. love love love this recipe! i think it would also be good as a stromboli too :) have to pass that on to the stromboli queen in my house. thanks girl!

Kelly B. — January 11, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

That pizza crust sounds good. My husband and I make our own too but we make a gluten-free version. Neither of us has Celiac Disease but we both feel better without gluten in our diet so we opt to go gluten-free when we can. We are probably about 90% GF. Did you see on Julie’s blog the recipe for cauliflower pizza crust? I want to try it soon!

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — January 11, 2010 @ 12:51 pm

Seriously, just yesterday I was looking for a pizza crust recipe. You must have read my mind. Thank you for the recipe! Have a great Monday!

pigpigscorner — January 11, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

love bbq sauce in pizzas…makes such a huge diff!

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — January 11, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Nothing beats homemade dough.. yours looks sooo good! Great recipe!

Shelley — January 11, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

girl that looks amazing. i love bbq chicken pizza but i’ve nver made it myself!

The Candid RD — January 11, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

Ok, you win! Your pizza is much better than the buffalo chicken pizza I will be making for Nick tonight. I bought the dough at TJs, and I’m using Red hot :) Oh well, I just want simple tonight, but if I’m ever making pizza for a group of people, this recipe will for sure come in handy! The pizza looks faaaantastic.

Simply Life — January 11, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

wow, that pizza is mouth-watering!

Ashley — January 11, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

pizza pizzaaa :) yum yours looks so so good! when i mkae bbq chicken pizza i use the bbq sauce instead of the tomato sauce. ive never done it your way but now i think i need to try it :)

April — January 11, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

BBQ chicken pizza is my FAVORITE!!!!!! Looks very yummy!

Lisa — January 11, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

Funny, I made the knockoff version of BBQ chicken pizza this weekend–mine does have bacon on it :) Also, for cheese, I do smoked gouda and mozz. Give that one a shot.

Madeline- greens and jeans — January 11, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

My boyfriend and I love to make pizza together and we will definitely be giving your crust a shot! My favorite pizza toppings are pesto, spinach, and feta. Soooo goooood

Therese — January 11, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

We always take the easy way out and buy pre-made whole wheat dough from the deli…but this looks super easy!

I just might have to give it a try :)

homecookedem — January 11, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

I love BBQ chicken pizza!! Your recipe and pictures look so tasty!! :)

One Healthy Apple — January 11, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

I agree- carmelized onions make the pizza! I made a non-gourmet pizza yesterday. My other thought was to do BBQ chicken, but I had neither BBQ sauce nor chicken, so a fail on my side!

I’m intimadated to make the crust but yours sounds fantastic!

Wishful Nals — January 11, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

i love making my own pizza! once you do it, you never go back to store bought!

Gelareh @ Orange Truffle — January 11, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

THat looks really good.. it used to be my fav before I went vegetarian.. I should still make it with veggies though…

Lisa — January 11, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

That is some great looking pizza!
    I love margarita pizza- simple yet delicious. Or, otherwise, topping it with spinach, pumpkin, zucchini and goats cheese s- so yummy!

Kristen @ Change of Pace — January 11, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

YUMMO! A lot of times (out of laziness) we use tortillas for our pizza crust :)

kay (eating machine) — January 11, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

mm i love homemade pizza!

Chelsea Talks Smack — January 11, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

Thats it, im coming to live with you.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — January 11, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

I never make my own pizza (except pita pizzas), but this one I want to try!!

Sylvie — January 11, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

I’m sooooo gonna try this. Both my husband and I are trying to loose weight and eat a bit more healthly, but we’re both craving pizza. I think this would satisfy our cravings. Thanks….and for the record, husband has lost nearly 20 pounds and I’ve lost 10. We’re nearly at our goals!

Stef — January 11, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

i’ve bookmarked this for hte pizza dough recipe! i love that it’s 100% ww, all the other ww recipes always include all purpose flour too!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 11, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

you’re the bbq queen lately and i happen to love you for it :)

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — January 11, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

My hubby and I used to order the BBQ Chicken Pizza at California Pizza Kitchen all the time in college. I have yet to make it since going Gluten free and dairy free.

Kris | iheartwellness.com — January 11, 2010 @ 5:58 pm

Mmmmmm my confession is – if i wasn’t allergic to so many darn things I would eat pizza all day! I love pizza, but it is not the best for me :(

Great recipe! I am passing it on to my family :)

XXOO
    Kris

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 11, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

i love how you describe this pizza as ‘nutty’ OMG that makesme want it so bad! I ont like it doughier I like it crispy and nutty :) this is RIGHT up my alley!!! my fav toppings are veggies galoreeeee!!

Cheryl — January 11, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

Looks amazing! I love my chicken and carmelized onion pizza with bbq sauce instead of a red sauce, or sometimes I’ll use a white sauce…so yum!

1. Pingback: What I’m Diggin Wednesday & Monday’s Morsels!! Double WhammY! « Blah, Blah, Blog

2. Pingback: now that’s what I call a weekend « Greens And Jeans