Please update your google readers!

We’ve been making our own pizza for years now, and I really think that it beats a lot of the pizza places around our home.

I always make a whole wheat crust, and it is 100% whole wheat. I find it is different from many wheat pizza crust recipes that I see, because many of them call for all-purpose flour.

I don’t add any white flour at all. The crust is nutty tasting, and a bit thinner and dense. We love thin crust, but if you prefer a more doughy crust, you may want to substitute some all-purpose flour for half of the wheat.

After the dough has risen, I roll it out then form it onto a baking sheet.

We love square pizza slices. :)

I just add a bit of tomato sauce in order to not overshadow the barbeque chicken.

My hubby loves tomato sauce. Me, not so much. He would swim in a vat of tomato sauce if he could. I wouldn’t join him. You know how veggies scare me.

Next come the toppings.

After the tomato sauce, I add on a layer of mozzarella cheese. Then comes the shredded chicken and carmelized onions.

The onions are a hit. They make the pizza. You gotta try.

Equal drizzles of ranch and barbeque sauce go on next. Homemade barbeque sauce, to be exact!

When it comes to pizzas, I use my same rule of thumb as I do with most dishes. I always make the wheat crust, and if it is just my husband and I, the toppings are usually reduced-fat options.

If I am making it for a party or a group of friends, I use full- fat toppings. The cheese always melts a bit nicer.

And I like my friends and family fatter.

To finish it off, I use a bit more mozzarella cheese, then a cheddar-jack blend. I love the cheddar combined with the chicken and barbeque sauce. It adds a nice, sharp flavor.

After about 20 minutes in the oven, it becomes warm, cheesy and crisp. The barbeque chicken flavor is fabulous!

The crust is thin with a fantastic, nutty wheat flavor. It is nice and crispy, too. I find it much more flavorful than regular pizza crust.

There are some wonderful flavors on the pizza, too- cheesy and salty, with a hint of sweetness from the barbeque sauce and onions.

Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza

100% Whole Wheat Dough

1 packet dry active yeast

3/4 cup warm water

~2 cups 100% whole wheat flour

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons olive oil + more to rub on bowl

1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix yeast and warm water and let sit until foamy. In a separate bowl, mix flour and salt together. Once yeast is foamy, add in olive oil and honey and stir. Mix into flour and kneed to create a dough. You may need to add a bit more flour if dough is too sticky.

Place in an olive oil-rubbed bowl and cover. Let rise for 2-3 hours.

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup tomato sauce

2 cups mozzarella cheese

1 1/2 cups cheddar-jack cheese

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

8 ounces grilled, shredded chicken

2 medium red onions, carmelized

1/2 cup barbeque sauce

1/2 cup ranch dressing

Preheat oven to 400.

Form crust into baking sheet or pizza sheet. Brush with olive oil and minced garlic. Add tomato sauce and a 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Top with shredded chicken, carmelized onions, barbeque sauce, and ranch dressing. Add remaining mozzerella cheese and cheddar-jack. Sprinkle with parmesan.

Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Serve hot.

What are your favorite pizza toppings? We also love buffalo chicken pizza. Most of our pizzas are packed with meat, since I live with The Protein King.

If only I could convince him that the stuffed turkey is some form of protein. He’d probably eat that, too.

I love a good ole’ plain cheese pizza. Cheese is where it’s at.

With some bacon on it, too. Everything’s better with bacon.

75 Responses to “Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza”

Maria — January 11, 2010 @ 10:12 am

whole wheat crust is the best!

Kelly — January 11, 2010 @ 10:15 am

mmm that looks delish! how did the onions turn out? you know i don’t like them unless they’re practically tasteless

Estela @ Weekly Bite — January 11, 2010 @ 10:19 am

I love onions on my pizza!

I’m still working on my pizza dough technique! My recipe is pretty similar, I think I just need to work on my technique :)

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — January 11, 2010 @ 10:20 am

BBQ chicken pizza was my absolute favorite thing for years! I would always want to go to California Pizza Kitchen on my birthday so I could have theirs…mmm yours looks so YUMMY!! My fave toppings are still the BBQ chicken – and also I love ricotta and broccoli!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — January 11, 2010 @ 10:25 am

I realllllly shouldn’t have read your post when I was hungry….
    I make almost the exact same pizza crust–I love the way it tastes with all whole wheat flour :) My favorite pizzas are bbq and buffalo chicken, and hawaiian. I pretty much love every veggie on a pizza too.

CookiePie — January 11, 2010 @ 10:27 am

WOW – that looks delicious! I think that would last about 9 seconds in our house :) And I love the whole-wheat crust! Will have to try this one.

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — January 11, 2010 @ 10:28 am

Oh, yay! Pizza is by far my *favorite* food, but I’ve yet to make my own whole wheat crust. That recipe seems really easy, though, so I’ll definitely have to give it a try :) I can’t wait to experiment with different cheeses and toppings, yummm!

Heather @ The Joyful Kitchen — January 11, 2010 @ 10:29 am

holy yum! i love bbq chicken pizza…one of the favorites for sure!

thanks for the delish recipe :)

Cindy Coniglio — January 11, 2010 @ 10:35 am

My mouth is watering. I will take this April 11th. Mark your calendar please!!

Natalie — January 11, 2010 @ 10:39 am

Oh.. my.. God.. this looks so delicious! I love BBQ Chicken Pizza and I already know I would enjoy this! I love the subtle sweetness from the sauce, and I am sure the caramelized onions are a great addition!

Darla Baerg — January 11, 2010 @ 10:43 am

“it makes my friends and family fat.” That cracked me up. This looks really good!

Paula — January 11, 2010 @ 10:48 am

Wow, this looks so delicious. I LOVE home made pizza and this is so much healthier than the one I make (mine uses a cheese scone recipe for the base). And caramelized onions??? LOVE!

Jenny — January 11, 2010 @ 10:48 am

As always, you crack me up.

I’ve come to realize that caramelized onions will pretty much make any dish you put them in! This pizza looks fantastic and I will be using the whole wheat dough recipe- I haven’t found a good one yet and you never steer me wrong!

And holy moly- the fig battle last night was fantastic. I was salivating. It wasn’t pretty.

Jenny — January 11, 2010 @ 10:50 am

Oh, and I love white pizza with olive oil, freshly minced garlic, basil leaves, freshly sliced tomatoes, olives and feta. Oh, who am I kidding? Pizza is pizza and I love pretty much any kind.

Good Taste. Healthy Me — January 11, 2010 @ 10:52 am

BBQ Chicken pizza is definitely one of my favorites! Yum yum!

Ally — January 11, 2010 @ 11:24 am

Yum! I might have to make this whole wheat crust, as I have all the ingredients for it! We love barbecue and also love buffalo style. And on my blog a couple of weeks ago, we did white pizza….alfredo sauce, tomatoes, cheese…..yum!

Blond Duck — January 11, 2010 @ 11:41 am

I love wheat pizza, and I can never find it anywhere! This looks so wonderful! BBQ and chicken…oh yum!

Erica — January 11, 2010 @ 11:45 am

So with you! We never get takeout pizza any more- we always make our own. I love the idea of making it into a square- so fun! And great toppings. Hope you have a good Monday

Emily (A Nutritionisteats) — January 11, 2010 @ 12:09 pm

Yum! I have never tried to make my own crust. (yeast scares me!) I’m going to have to get over it though! I love that you use 100% whole grain too!

Sarah (OC2Seattle) — January 11, 2010 @ 12:12 pm

“Everything’s better with bacon.” – So very Jeffrey Steingarten ;) Love it!

Pippa — January 11, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

Oh my gosh, I just came across your site and it’s wonderful! I suddenly have dozens of things I need to bake/cook…

julie — January 11, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

hahaha i love that your hubs would swim in a vat of tomato sauce. that’s hilarious. love love love this recipe! i think it would also be good as a stromboli too :) have to pass that on to the stromboli queen in my house. thanks girl!

Kelly B. — January 11, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

That pizza crust sounds good. My husband and I make our own too but we make a gluten-free version. Neither of us has Celiac Disease but we both feel better without gluten in our diet so we opt to go gluten-free when we can. We are probably about 90% GF. Did you see on Julie’s blog the recipe for cauliflower pizza crust? I want to try it soon!

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — January 11, 2010 @ 12:51 pm

Seriously, just yesterday I was looking for a pizza crust recipe. You must have read my mind. Thank you for the recipe! Have a great Monday!

pigpigscorner — January 11, 2010 @ 1:10 pm

love bbq sauce in pizzas…makes such a huge diff!

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — January 11, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Nothing beats homemade dough.. yours looks sooo good! Great recipe!

Shelley — January 11, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

girl that looks amazing. i love bbq chicken pizza but i’ve nver made it myself!

The Candid RD — January 11, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

Ok, you win! Your pizza is much better than the buffalo chicken pizza I will be making for Nick tonight. I bought the dough at TJs, and I’m using Red hot :) Oh well, I just want simple tonight, but if I’m ever making pizza for a group of people, this recipe will for sure come in handy! The pizza looks faaaantastic.

Simply Life — January 11, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

wow, that pizza is mouth-watering!

Ashley — January 11, 2010 @ 1:52 pm

pizza pizzaaa :) yum yours looks so so good! when i mkae bbq chicken pizza i use the bbq sauce instead of the tomato sauce. ive never done it your way but now i think i need to try it :)

April — January 11, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

BBQ chicken pizza is my FAVORITE!!!!!! Looks very yummy!

Lisa — January 11, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

Funny, I made the knockoff version of BBQ chicken pizza this weekend–mine does have bacon on it :) Also, for cheese, I do smoked gouda and mozz. Give that one a shot.

Madeline- greens and jeans — January 11, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

My boyfriend and I love to make pizza together and we will definitely be giving your crust a shot! My favorite pizza toppings are pesto, spinach, and feta. Soooo goooood

Therese — January 11, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

We always take the easy way out and buy pre-made whole wheat dough from the deli…but this looks super easy!

I just might have to give it a try :)

homecookedem — January 11, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

I love BBQ chicken pizza!! Your recipe and pictures look so tasty!! :)

One Healthy Apple — January 11, 2010 @ 2:22 pm

I agree- carmelized onions make the pizza! I made a non-gourmet pizza yesterday. My other thought was to do BBQ chicken, but I had neither BBQ sauce nor chicken, so a fail on my side!

I’m intimadated to make the crust but yours sounds fantastic!

Wishful Nals — January 11, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

i love making my own pizza! once you do it, you never go back to store bought!

Gelareh @ Orange Truffle — January 11, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

THat looks really good.. it used to be my fav before I went vegetarian.. I should still make it with veggies though…

Lisa — January 11, 2010 @ 2:57 pm

That is some great looking pizza!
    I love margarita pizza- simple yet delicious. Or, otherwise, topping it with spinach, pumpkin, zucchini and goats cheese s- so yummy!

Kristen @ Change of Pace — January 11, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

YUMMO! A lot of times (out of laziness) we use tortillas for our pizza crust :)

kay (eating machine) — January 11, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

mm i love homemade pizza!

Chelsea Talks Smack — January 11, 2010 @ 4:51 pm

Thats it, im coming to live with you.

Jolene ( — January 11, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

I never make my own pizza (except pita pizzas), but this one I want to try!!

Sylvie — January 11, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

I’m sooooo gonna try this. Both my husband and I are trying to loose weight and eat a bit more healthly, but we’re both craving pizza. I think this would satisfy our cravings. Thanks….and for the record, husband has lost nearly 20 pounds and I’ve lost 10. We’re nearly at our goals!

Stef — January 11, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

i’ve bookmarked this for hte pizza dough recipe! i love that it’s 100% ww, all the other ww recipes always include all purpose flour too!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — January 11, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

you’re the bbq queen lately and i happen to love you for it :)

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — January 11, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

My hubby and I used to order the BBQ Chicken Pizza at California Pizza Kitchen all the time in college. I have yet to make it since going Gluten free and dairy free.

Kris | — January 11, 2010 @ 5:58 pm

Mmmmmm my confession is – if i wasn’t allergic to so many darn things I would eat pizza all day! I love pizza, but it is not the best for me :(

Great recipe! I am passing it on to my family :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — January 11, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

i love how you describe this pizza as ‘nutty’ OMG that makesme want it so bad! I ont like it doughier I like it crispy and nutty :) this is RIGHT up my alley!!! my fav toppings are veggies galoreeeee!!

Cheryl — January 11, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

Looks amazing! I love my chicken and carmelized onion pizza with bbq sauce instead of a red sauce, or sometimes I’ll use a white sauce…so yum!

1. Pingback: What I’m Diggin Wednesday & Monday’s Morsels!! Double WhammY! « Blah, Blah, Blog

2. Pingback: now that’s what I call a weekend « Greens And Jeans