Please update your google readers! http://feeds.feedburner.com/howsweeteats/smSp

We’ve been making our own pizza for years now, and I really think that it beats a lot of the pizza places around our home.

I always make a whole wheat crust, and it is 100% whole wheat. I find it is different from many wheat pizza crust recipes that I see, because many of them call for all-purpose flour.

I don’t add any white flour at all. The crust is nutty tasting, and a bit thinner and dense. We love thin crust, but if you prefer a more doughy crust, you may want to substitute some all-purpose flour for half of the wheat.

After the dough has risen, I roll it out then form it onto a baking sheet.

IMG_3188

We love square pizza slices. :)

I just add a bit of tomato sauce in order to not overshadow the barbeque chicken.

IMG_3189

My hubby loves tomato sauce. Me, not so much. He would swim in a vat of tomato sauce if he could. I wouldn’t join him. You know how veggies scare me.

Next come the toppings.

After the tomato sauce, I add on a layer of mozzarella cheese. Then comes the shredded chicken and carmelized onions.

IMG_3191

The onions are a hit. They make the pizza. You gotta try.

Equal drizzles of ranch and barbeque sauce go on next. Homemade barbeque sauce, to be exact!

IMG_3192

When it comes to pizzas, I use my same rule of thumb as I do with most dishes. I always make the wheat crust, and if it is just my husband and I, the toppings are usually reduced-fat options.

If I am making it for a party or a group of friends, I use full- fat toppings. The cheese always melts a bit nicer.

And I like my friends and family fatter.

To finish it off, I use a bit more mozzarella cheese, then a cheddar-jack blend. I love the cheddar combined with the chicken and barbeque sauce. It adds a nice, sharp flavor.

IMG_3193

After about 20 minutes in the oven, it becomes warm, cheesy and crisp. The barbeque chicken flavor is fabulous!

IMG_3196

The crust is thin with a fantastic, nutty wheat flavor. It is nice and crispy, too. I find it much more flavorful than regular pizza crust.

IMG_3198

There are some wonderful flavors on the pizza, too- cheesy and salty, with a hint of sweetness from the barbeque sauce and onions.

IMG_3200

Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza

100% Whole Wheat Dough

1 packet dry active yeast

3/4 cup warm water

~2 cups 100% whole wheat flour

2 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons olive oil + more to rub on bowl

1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix yeast and warm water and let sit until foamy. In a separate bowl, mix flour and salt together. Once yeast is foamy, add in olive oil and honey and stir. Mix into flour and kneed to create a dough. You may need to add a bit more flour if dough is too sticky.

Place in an olive oil-rubbed bowl and cover. Let rise for 2-3 hours.

Pizza

3 tablespoons olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup tomato sauce

2 cups mozzarella cheese

1 1/2 cups cheddar-jack cheese

1/2 cup parmesan cheese

8 ounces grilled, shredded chicken

2 medium red onions, carmelized

1/2 cup barbeque sauce

1/2 cup ranch dressing

Preheat oven to 400.

Form crust into baking sheet or pizza sheet. Brush with olive oil and minced garlic. Add tomato sauce and a 1 cup of mozzarella cheese. Top with shredded chicken, carmelized onions, barbeque sauce, and ranch dressing. Add remaining mozzerella cheese and cheddar-jack. Sprinkle with parmesan.

Bake at 400 for 20 minutes. Serve hot.

IMG_3201

IMG_3203

What are your favorite pizza toppings? We also love buffalo chicken pizza. Most of our pizzas are packed with meat, since I live with The Protein King.

If only I could convince him that the stuffed turkey is some form of protein. He’d probably eat that, too.

I love a good ole’ plain cheese pizza. Cheese is where it’s at.

With some bacon on it, too. Everything’s better with bacon.

75 Responses to “Whole Wheat BBQ Chicken Pizza”

Katie @ cozydelicious — January 11, 2010 @ 6:54 pm

My husband LOVES BBQ chicken pizza. Usually we just throw in the towel on healthy and crumble some crisp bacon over the top as well. But maybe if I used whole wheat crust it would cancel out the bacon? Hmm… I’ll have to think about that one!

Sara — January 11, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

My boyfriend LOVES BBQ chicken pizza so I will to try and make this for him! It would be a great surprise!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — January 11, 2010 @ 7:07 pm

I’ve never thought to make square pizza in a baking pan…that’s a great idea! I LOVE all whole wheat dough…so dense and hearty!

Sarah — January 11, 2010 @ 7:18 pm

I am also a huge Buffalo Chicken Pizza fan. It started when I first met my husband and he would make that for me and so the fascination began. I love making my own pizza because you can control the toppings and flavor.

Jamie — January 11, 2010 @ 7:42 pm

WOW! That looks awesome. I made pizza dough once and it was a disaster. But this i really want to try!

My favorite pizza toppings are veggies (I’m not afraid) :)
    Spinach, tomato, mushrooms, broccoli, onions, peppers, you name it!

sophia — January 11, 2010 @ 8:21 pm

This puts the CPK version of BBQ chicken pizza to shame. Ooh la la!
    My favorite topping so far: fresh figs, goat cheese, gruyere, reduced balsamic, prosciutto. Heaven!

TinaFromTexas — January 11, 2010 @ 9:20 pm

I do the exact same thing with company! Full fat version for them, low-fat version for us. :)

Barbara Bakes — January 11, 2010 @ 9:23 pm

My kids love making pizza at home, but we need to get more creative. This looks great!

Karin — January 12, 2010 @ 4:27 am

Home made pizza is so fabulous and I just realized that I haven’t made it in ages! Shocker!!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — January 12, 2010 @ 4:46 am

I like making my friends fatter, too. Fat and happy!

Paige (running around normal) — January 12, 2010 @ 6:00 am

Ooh, I’ve been looking for a good w.w. pizza crust recipe! I’m not a huge fan of my own. I’ll try this one, thanks! :D

Casey @ Spicy&Sweet — January 12, 2010 @ 7:25 am

Ok…LOVE BBQ chicken pizza, and this looks insanely delicious!! LOVE your blog, girl!

stephchows — January 12, 2010 @ 8:33 am

ooo yum yum yum!! I love bbq chicken pizza and whole wheat crust is the best!

JocelynEatsFresh — January 13, 2010 @ 4:53 am

I wish I would have seen this yesterday! I made pizza yesterday and used a half whole wheat half white flour recipe..oh well!
    This looks super yummy!

Jenny — January 13, 2010 @ 7:51 am

I LOVE BBQ Chicken pizza! Such an awesome flavor combination. And I love that pizza dough recipe, I bet it’s delicious :)

Lara (Thinspired) — January 13, 2010 @ 1:13 pm

I hate how so many homemade crusts use white flour, too. I have a similar recipe to yours but I also add some wheat germ for more texture. I like it nutty!
    Usually I just do boring homemade pizzas (cheese, sauce, veg); I’ve never thought to make a BBQ chicken one at home. So many great recipes and ideas on your blog lately!

Anna — January 18, 2010 @ 5:05 pm

This looks great–the perfect Friday night meal. Is it wrong that I can’t have pizza with out beer? Mmmm.

Alison — February 14, 2011 @ 4:01 am

I’m surprised you didn’t add bacon to this recipe! BBQ Chicken with bacon is the best! Pineapple is pretty good too…

Jordana R — February 24, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

This looks INSANE! I have an obsession with bbq chicken pizza. lately I’ve been making bbq chicken quesadillas almost daily, I even have my 7yr old daughter hooked lol. I plan to make this very very soon!!