A few weeks ago, I had the creamiest potato soup for lunch. I went home the next day and re-created it, and I think my own version was even creamier.

Yes, I realize this makes multiple posts this week that include bacon. I just can’t help it. Bacon is my soulmate. It never leaves my side. It doesn’t judge me.

However, I think it’s time bacon and I took the next step in our relationship. I’m going to start doing squats with bacon and bacon bicep curls. It’s very necessary.

If you don’t like bacon or don’t eat it, it definitely isn’t necessary in this soup.

(And if you are one of those vegetarians/vegans that reads my blog, thank you and I love you! It can be bacon overload sometimes.)

I added the bacon once the soup was finished – half of the bacon went into the soup, the other half was saved for garnish.

The starchy potatoes gave the soup such a thick, smooth consistency. It was addicting.

I don’t make soup very often, because, well. . .I have no patience.

While soup is simmering away, I usually consume a few bananas, some sandwiches, chocolate chips by the cup-full, and, of course, wine, since it most often lands in my soups.

No wine went into this soup, but I had a few sips for good measure.

The best part of this soup was that while it was super-duper creamy, there were some soft chunks of potato in it, too. I used yukon gold potatoes and left the skins on – such a tasty treat!

Baked Potato Soup

Serves 6

6-8 large yukon gold potatoes, baked with skin on and chopped

2 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons flour

1 cup heavy cream

2 cups skim milk

1/2 cup chicken stock, if needed

1 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese

2 green onions, chopped

4 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

Heat a large pot on medium heat. Once hot, add butter and flour, and whisk into a roux. Add heavy cream, potatoes and skim milk, continuously stirring until thickened. Stir in cheese, making sure it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Depending on desired consistency, add chicken stock. Stir in 2 slices of crumbled bacon and green onions. Season with salt and pepper if needed.

Serve and garnish with remaining bacon.

I went back for 2nd’s, 3rd’s and 4th’s – the soup was that incredible. I actually ate it all before Mr. How Sweet got any of it.

Oops.

62 Responses to “Loaded Baked Potato Soup.”

Maria — February 12, 2010 @ 7:57 am

Wow, that is creamy:) We have a 10 pound bag of potatoes, they were on sale, I couldn’t help myself. This soup recipe will come in handy:)

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — February 12, 2010 @ 9:05 am

I’m going to make this soup today! I don’t even like soup in general, but the pictures on your blog make me reconsider everything.
    I’m amazed at all of the beautiful recipes you create. Great work!

Jennie — February 12, 2010 @ 9:07 am

I’m a Southern girl. Bacon is my friend :)

Cassie — February 12, 2010 @ 9:09 am

Ooohhhhh myyy goodness!! That looks FANTASTIC. I don’t think i’ve ever tried legit potato soup before but this looks AMAZING. I want to try it. I don’t think there’s any heavy cream in this house..would using all skim milk work?

• Jessica — February 12th, 2010 @ 9:19 am

Cassie-

Using just skim milk may not make it as creamy, but you can definitely try! If you have 2% or a thicker milk, it may work better, too. You could also just add some flour gradually until it gets thicker. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 12, 2010 @ 9:10 am

oh my gosh. this looks amazing and perfectly creamy! there’s nothing wrong with your relationship with bacon, it’s inspiring :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 12, 2010 @ 9:10 am

Potato soup is 100% my absolute FAVORITE!!!!!

I forgot to tell you… last weekend I went out to dinner and had Peanut Butter Cheesecake with bacon bits inside and an oreo cookie crust. It was so good!

Jenna @Healthy. Happy. Well. — February 12, 2010 @ 9:15 am

Well, I don’t eat bacon, but my boyfriend LOVES it! I’ll be trying this little recipe out for him. Maybe V Day dinner?? Looks delicious!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 12, 2010 @ 9:17 am

I love a loaded potato soup – and I LOVE bacon. I think you and I would be great friends :-)

Erica — February 12, 2010 @ 9:17 am

Love that you left the skins on! And I like the combination of both cream and skim. Good stuff!Hope you and the man have a wonderful Valentine’s Day

Mr. How Sweet It Is — February 12, 2010 @ 9:41 am

yep…never knew this was made.

• Neet — January 17th, 2014 @ 7:28 am

LOL I have been reading the blog forever… and just noticed that reply! Hey, did Mr. How Sweet It Is ever get to try this soup?

Kelly B. — February 12, 2010 @ 9:43 am

Yum! Yum! Yum! This looks awesome! I am so bad at making homemade soup…I rely too much on the cartons (but hey at least that is one step up from a can, right??)

homecookedem — February 12, 2010 @ 10:00 am

I used to always order the loaded baked potato soup from O’Charley’s… not sure if yall have those up there in PA… anyway, I LOVED it so much, but this looks even creamier and yummier!! Thanks for the recipe!! :)

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — February 12, 2010 @ 10:19 am

Gasp! My favorite! This looks incredible – I am the biggest fan of baked potato soup…and the bacon…oh my the bacon. Looks incredible!

katie — February 12, 2010 @ 11:14 am

this is great!! such good comfort food for the COLD ness! Have you tried O Charleys loaded tater soup?! UMMM DROOOL! i bet yours is just as good!

Tracy — February 12, 2010 @ 11:15 am

Oh, that looks like heaven…and I do love me some bacon. Yum!!

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries — February 12, 2010 @ 11:16 am

yummm when are you moving to nyc to cook for me

Mae @ OhhMay — February 12, 2010 @ 11:21 am

Yuuummm any potato soup reminds me of vichyssoise. That’s my ultimate favorite, especially with some golden leeks and scallions on top!

This is a perfect meal for a cold day!

Amanda — February 12, 2010 @ 11:23 am

I just might have to try this… I have tried a few of your recipes now and this you do a great job with directions and ‘yumm-ability’. You rock.

Dimitry — February 12, 2010 @ 11:27 am

Bacon Yum.

Catherine — February 12, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Well I might be mostly vegan, but that looks so good I thin I might need to try a veganified version of this… tempeh bacon, nut milk, earth balance, maybe some pureed raw cashews for richness?? Oh now I really want to try this!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 12, 2010 @ 11:53 am

Mmmm…I LURRRRVE baked potato soup! Yours looks awesome!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — February 12, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

My dad makes the best potato soup EVER and I’ve got to say, yours might give him a run for his money!

Ashley — February 12, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

YUM! I have that bowl but in plate form…same design!! love it!!

Kacy — February 12, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

I loove huge chunks of potato in soup.

You always make your meat look pretty, so I’m cool with it :)

dawn — February 12, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

ok you are a rockstar. you made it really thick, just the way I love soups. sweet.

Christie @ Honoring Health — February 12, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

You are killing me with all this bacon, girl!

Katrina — February 12, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

Yum! I love a thick soup. Hearty, filling, delicious!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — February 12, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

yum. I love soup, especially potato soup. squats with bacon sound good to me haha

Abby — February 12, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

Looks sooo good (even though I am one of those vegetarians). BUt seriously, those look almost like mashed potatoes!!! AMAZING!

Diana — February 12, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

I don’t normally like potato soups, but your recipe and photos are making me want to make some stat! yum! :)

zinerim — February 12, 2010 @ 4:38 pm

very delicious!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — February 12, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

My husband would move in with you for this one: butter, milk, onions, potatoes. The way to a man’s heart is thru his stomach w/ food like this no doubt!

Happy VDay, Jessica!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    xoxox

april — February 12, 2010 @ 8:21 pm

Oh gosh my sister should come let you cook for her.. that recipe has got her name all over it!!

Michelle — February 12, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

This looks just perfect for Blizzard Day Soup! Gorgeous pictures!

Cheryl — February 12, 2010 @ 9:00 pm

How can anyone not like bacon? I’m not a huge soup fan, b/c they’re usually so runny and bland, but this, b/c it’s creamy, looks worth the effort!

sophia — February 12, 2010 @ 9:48 pm

Dear…that’s not soup. That’s pudding! Look at how thick and creamy it is! YUUUUMMM~

One Healthy Apple — February 12, 2010 @ 11:43 pm

This looks so delicious and comforting. I think I’m 2 blog posts away from craving bacon! I’ve already given into butter :)

Mackenzie@TheCaramelCookie — February 13, 2010 @ 6:58 am

This looks SO good! I could use nice big bowl of this soup, especially with all the snow around my house!

Vicious — February 13, 2010 @ 9:19 pm

I make a very similar version with the exception of frying the bacon first, then making the roux in the bacon fat instead of butter. Nom!

terri — February 14, 2010 @ 8:06 am

oh my gosh jessica! your recipes get better every day….seriously! i think i am going to gain 10 lbs by just looking at them…..this will be great during the winter weather we have been having! thanks for another yummy post!

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — February 14, 2010 @ 3:42 pm

I love potato soup, but this perfects it! Wow, I have to try this sometime soon. Drooooooooooooooooool :P

Happy Valentine’s Day!
    Jenn

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — February 14, 2010 @ 3:52 pm

between this and the chicken pasta, I’m totally going to have my bacon fix :)

Kailey (SnackFace) — February 15, 2010 @ 7:30 am

Mmmmm,you may be the only blogger who makes me really wish I still ate bacon+ meat. This soup sounds and looks amazing!

Becca H. — January 10, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

In honor of my undying devotion to your blog…and your AMAZING recipes, I am making a gigantic pot of this today…with lots of extra crispy bacon. Maybe I’ll even make bacon bruschetta (have you noticed how bacon goes well with EVERYTHING?) to serve with it. I <3 you!

• Jessica — January 10th, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

Yum! Enjoy it… I wish I was there to eat it with you!

• Becca H. — January 10th, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

You may not realize it, but you WERE here with me :-)

Kathy — January 13, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

Potato soup is my go to, make me feel better, warms me when its cold, very best comfort food! Can’t wait to try this recipe!!!!!

Laura — February 20, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

All right… utterly stupid question, but you say to add baked potatoes- Whenever I’ve made soup I’ve put raw potatoes in it, because they always boil in the soup. This soup is different, so how do you suggest baking the potatoes? I know… Stupid question, but I’ve never baked a potato. Bread, cookies, quiche- yes, potatoes, no. How pathetic. Help a girl out!!

• Jessica — February 21st, 2011 @ 3:06 am

Scrub the potatoes, poke lots of holes in them with a fork and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. :)

Phillip — February 23, 2011 @ 8:22 pm

I just wanted to tell you that I think I’m in love with you. My BFF Leah and i send each other your info all the time. Your pictures and creations are fantastic! pizza potatoes….crab stuffed eggplant – this potatoe soup….i’m starving again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you!

katie — March 25, 2012 @ 7:03 am

Hi! I was searching for a recipe to make for dinner and knew I had to make this asap with the potato, cheddar cheese, and bacon combo! I just made it now and wanted to let you know I’m loving this soup. I didn’t change anything except I used a higher percent milk (whatever I had in the fridge). Perfect for a chilly night in pajamas! Thank you so much for posting this! =)

• Lorri — March 25th, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

see i was wondering about the milk because i refuse to buy any this other than whole milk. so it turns out right?

• katie — March 25th, 2012 @ 8:28 pm

Yes it came out perfect! The same full, fluffy chowder texture too. I live in Southern Japan and the milk here is about 3% (and I used 1 c whole whipping cream too), but that didn’t affect the soup at all I think. Not the healthiest soup haha, but oh wells it was great and satisfying!

Katie Stieg — November 3, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

I found this on Pinterest a while back and knew I had to pin it. I love your blog anyway, and I’ve never made anything I didn’t like from your recipes. Anyway, I made this tonight. It was perfect. Thanks for sharing such great recipes!

Bobette Ngo — June 8, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

The barbell curl specifically targets the biceps brachii which is located on the front part of the arm between the shoulder and the elbow. This muscle’s primary function is elbow flexion and forearm supination. The biceps also has two heads known as the long head and the short head.;;,.

Look at all of the freshest content on our new blog site
    <http://www.ideascollection.org