I’ve had to get a bit more creative in the dinner department with this blizzard we are having.

While my husband is eager to venture out to go to work, the gym, and run errands, I prefer to stay lounged on the couch eating bon bons, with my feet up.

I had about 16 different ideas for dinner last night, involving tomato sauce, cheese, and steak – none of which we had.

Yes, friends – my house currently is cheese-free. Not because I want it to be. More because I’ve eaten my emotions while watching 30 inches of snow creep up my windowsill. I need more cheese please.

One thing I do have? Bacon. Thank goodness, because if I did not have bacon, I would probably have to commit myself.

This dish is actually very healthy: whole wheat pasta, grilled chicken, crispy kale, tomatoes, and only 2 slices of crumbled bacon for 2 of us. You gotta indulge somewhere.

We had the juiciest tomatoes ever, so I knew I needed to incorporate them in the pasta.

My hubby graciously picked up some whole wheat pasta on his way home, which we were also out of.

And I got this whole BLT idea from him

See, sometimes I can be whiney. I know that comes as a complete shock, but it is true.

Sometimes I like to whine and complain to my husband about how he should cook me dinner. It is a fun game I like to play, since his cooking skills consist of stinking up the house with egg whites, nasty plain turkey burgers, and peanut butter on bread.

But that’s nothing you haven’t heard before.

A few days ago, I asked what he was going to make me for dinner, and for once he shot back with – ‘how about a BLT?’

BLT? You may assume I love these, as they have bacon. However, they also have VEGGIES. As long as I have about 16 slices of bacon on the BLT, I will eat it, veggies and all.

I just wasn’t feeling one that evening, so I declined.

I think I made up for it with dinner last night.

I baked some kale chips with nutritional yeast, and they added such a tasty, crispy crunch.

I tossed the whole wheat penne in some olive oil and parmesan first, then added the toppings.

It was perfect for me, but not enough for my husband. He wanted sauce. Thick and hearty sauce.

Gosh, he is so picky.

Chicken BLT Whole Wheat Pasta

Serves 2-4

1 lb whole wheat pasta

3 chicken breasts, grilled and chopped

2 slices bacon, fried and crumbled

2 plum tomatoes, chopped

3 stems kale leaves, seasoned & baked at 350 for 15-20 minutes

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

Once pasta is cooked, add to a large bowl and toss with olive oil and cheese. Add grilled chicken, tomatoes, bacon, and crispy kale. Toss and serve.

You know me, folks. I would have been perfectly content with the tomatoes, bacon, and kale alone on this pasta.

However, when you live with The Protein King, adjustments must be made. Adjustments such as adding meat to each meal, buying fewer shoes, eating less chocolate, and not wearing ratty sweats.

So far, I’ve mastered one of those.

59 Responses to “Chicken BLT Pasta.”

Christie @ Honoring Health — February 11, 2010 @ 8:25 am

Yum! That looks delicious!!

MelissaNibbles — February 11, 2010 @ 8:29 am

That’s an awesome idea! I want to eat it now for lunch. I can eat lunch at 10:30 right?

I wish I could master the not wearing sweats thing. No wonder I don’t have a husband.

Fit Chick in the City — February 11, 2010 @ 8:30 am

My husband dreams of having a wife that cooks the types of foods you cook! I will never ever show him your blog. =) Just kidding, I have to show him all of these creations that he would love!

Nicole @ making Good Choices — February 11, 2010 @ 8:34 am

Ahh this looks so good right now! I wish I was on the couch like I was yesterday eating my emotions haha. I tried making kale chips in the oven, but they didn’t come out so great. what temp did you cook them and for how long?? I think I got excited and used too much sea salt.

Jen — February 11, 2010 @ 8:41 am

um, yum! one thing though…how do you season you kale? and I’m assuming kale is a certain kind of lettuce? yes, I’m a kale virgin. ;) awesome blog, I’m new and I love it! thanks for the dinner idea! :)

Jen — February 11, 2010 @ 8:41 am

um, yum! one thing though…how do you season your kale? and I’m assuming kale is a certain kind of lettuce? yes, I’m a kale virgin. ;) awesome blog, I’m new and I love it! thanks for the dinner idea! :)

• Jessica — February 11th, 2010 @ 8:44 am

My method is spraying them with olive oil spray, topping them with nutritional yeast (or sea salt) and pepper, and baking them at 350 for 10 minutes, then tossing them and doing another 10 minutes. They should come out crispy!

Morgan — February 11, 2010 @ 9:02 am

This kind of makes me want to stop being vegetarian.

Tracy — February 11, 2010 @ 9:03 am

Wow, what a great idea! Bookmarking this for later. :-)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 11, 2010 @ 9:04 am

this sounds really delicious :) also, i made a cake out of the cookies n cream cupcake recipe…getting rave reviews at the office again!

Simply Life — February 11, 2010 @ 9:06 am

what a great idea – looks delicious!

Retta @ RunRettaRun — February 11, 2010 @ 9:14 am

My hubs would have died if I made him this! Looks fab!

Kelly B. — February 11, 2010 @ 9:22 am

Hum…let me think…pasta (love it), bacon (love it), BLT’s (love them!) Okay this is a WINNER! You rock girl!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 11, 2010 @ 9:41 am

Pasta is my favourite food – that looks SO good! I love bacon too :-)

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries — February 11, 2010 @ 9:45 am

this is so creative! makes me wish i liked bacon!

Diana — February 11, 2010 @ 9:46 am

Oh snap! That looks delicious! I love that combo of flavors, too! I love that you used kale for your green. :)

Abby — February 11, 2010 @ 9:48 am

Looks yummy! Did you manage to find any cheese??

(I’m in old sweats right now, too)

Kacy — February 11, 2010 @ 9:54 am

No cheese?!?! Travesty!

Erica — February 11, 2010 @ 10:00 am

I love pasta dishes with fresh veggies! This is so colorful. You’re doing great with your creative meals! I bet the husband hopes you’re snowed in forever :)

Monique — February 11, 2010 @ 10:07 am

i cried a little when i saw this. I am dreaming of bacon and chicken! mmmm. so making this!

Jenna — February 11, 2010 @ 10:40 am

Looks amazing! Mad props to you lady, for pulling together such an amazing meal even though you are lacking food due to the dang blizzard. And doesn’t bacon make everything better? So good!

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — February 11, 2010 @ 10:46 am

OMG, Jessica! This is one of the best pasta creations I have ever seen! Brilliant! How could I have not thought about this before? LOL It just seems so right. I HAVE to try this, maybe tonight? Have bacon, will fry it. :mrgreen:

Jenn

Nicole (dishin') — February 11, 2010 @ 10:59 am

Oh yum! Great creation…love BLTs!!

Julie @SavvyEats — February 11, 2010 @ 11:02 am

I love the idea of putting kale chips on top of pasta!

One Healthy Apple — February 11, 2010 @ 11:11 am

What happens when I go away for a few days? There are veggies in your food?! I guess the bacon helps, but I’m so impressed still! I also tell hubby to cook but would probably not eat whever he made!

Abby (Abby's VeGaN Eats) — February 11, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

Pasta is fabulous on cold icky days (esp when you cant get outside!!!!). Hang in there, hun. ;)

As for your ? the other day about the chia seeds.. I dont know why I dont like em.. when they soak in milk or water for awhile they become almost like tapioca and gelatinous… Im weird with textures!!

Gaby — February 11, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

ok first off I would go CRAZY without cheese! If I could send some to you I would. This pasta dish sounds delish!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — February 11, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

Crazy weather leads to some crazy delicious things sometimes…

Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful — February 11, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

This snow stuff is getting a bit ridiculous isn’t it? Definitely gives you time to think of creative ideas and get to cooking. This is a great idea to do BLT as a pasta. Looks delish.

Shelley — February 11, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

im telling you girl- you’ve got skills! and yoru cookies and cream recipe also looks so good… that is my favorite sweet combination

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — February 11, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

I love the fresh red tomatoes…yum!

And i just posted and i think things are back to normal. Did emily the blog fairy do your site? she totally helped me straighten out my commenting drama :)

Biz — February 11, 2010 @ 1:17 pm

Your lack of liking vegetables still makes me laugh – but I shouldn’t talk, the only veggie I ate until about age 28 was cucumber!

Your tomatoes look gorgeous – ours don’t look like that until August! :D

Nicci — February 11, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

Next time I make pasta, I will have to add some bacon to it. I love bacon!

Eliana — February 11, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

this pasta looks amazing; what a great way to use up ingredients in the house; i bet most people have all of these lying around.

Nicole, RD — February 11, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

That does not need sauce, Mr. How Sweet!! Yummm!

Lisa — February 11, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

oh that looks so good! I will have to give it a try!

homecookedem — February 11, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

What a creative twist on a classic!! My mom would LOVE this!! She is addicted to BLT’s!! hehe!! :)

Jeni — February 11, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

That looks fantastic! I could make that for me & my roomate & just leave the bacon off hers. She doesn’t eat pork so more bacon for me!

Jessie — February 11, 2010 @ 3:09 pm

BLT pasta?? Sign me up! Being married to a Protein King has definitely put more meat in my diet, too :P

Sam (Merit to the Carrot) — February 11, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

genius.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — February 11, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

I hope the snow clears so you can get CHEESE!! ahhh What would I do without it?!?!

pasta sounds awesomeeee and so unique thats waht I love about your recipes :)

I think the protein king is happy to have you!!

Kim K @ 12 Month Marathon — February 11, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

Oh, that looks inCREDible! I came across your blog from another one (Oh She Glows, maybe?), and now I’m hungry. :) I’m training for a half marathon right now, and this pasta would be amazing fuel food.

eliza — February 11, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

hhhhhiiiii! do you know what I would really love, is more of your amazing work outs ?! PLEASE! Me and my best friends love THEM!! xoxo

sophia — February 11, 2010 @ 6:35 pm

No cheese? oh, no, Jessica! You shld come over…I’ve got a few hunks of cheese left from my win a few months ago! (some in the freezer)

This pasta looks AMAZING. Love the BLT variation!

heather — February 11, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

i too am a bit of a sauce-aholic. Seriously, Jessica, you should see my kitchen cabinets/pantry/fridge…. i bet there are 30 bottle of variety of sauces. seriously, i have a problem. CUT ME OFF.

Mae @ OhhMay — February 11, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

I love this idea!! Everything sounds perfect together.
    BLT salad used to by my family’s favorite dinner, and I’m sure it would be even heartier with whole wheat pasta as he base.

Kale chips+pasta is such a unique combination. What an awesome idea!!

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) — February 11, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

That’s funny I forgot you don’t like veggies- but you are right, the kale becomes more like a potato chip than a veggie- an imposter but that’s ok by me :-)

Protein king? At least he eats kale- my hubs wouldn’t come near it.

And I buy way fewer shoes since being married too. when I first met him, he called me Emelda. :-/

Kyla Roma — February 11, 2010 @ 9:16 pm

That looks awesome! I’m working on making more meaty dishes for Mister so I might have to try this out- I could easily spin off a veg version at the same time. Thanks for the idea!

Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear — February 11, 2010 @ 9:34 pm

I just realized I am the a-hole blend who didn’t leave a comment today. Maybe it’s because I was distracted by the juiciness of that tomato up there? I probably started thinking about how I NEVER used to eat them and now I like to cut Romas up and throw them in a frying pan, brown them and use them in an awesome breakfast recipe I have. Then I probably walked to my kitchen in search of them and never came ba……….

Blond Duck — February 12, 2010 @ 3:53 am

That pasta sounds amazing. I’m with the husband–I think a little sauce and it would be right up my ally…maybe a sundried tomato sauce?

Miz — February 12, 2010 @ 4:10 am

first ID LOVE to be trapped in a blizzard with your amazing cooking!

and second, *proffers head*, may I be crowned the Protein Queen?

1. Pingback: Chicken BLT Whole Wheat Pasta | Home Recipes Catalog