Cake is not my favorite treat, which is one reason I like cupcakes so much. I feel they are the perfect portion size, and sometimes I cannot even finish a full one.

That is sooo not the case with these cupcakes.

These are dreamy. And creamy.

Check out the batter – it looks like cookies and cream ice cream!

I initially saw this recipe in the book 500 Cupcakes, but their recipe called for self rising flour. I didn’t have any on hand, and didn’t feel like braving the blizzard for it. So I used my own recipe for vanilla bean cupcakes and added the cookies.

I should thank Caitlin for leaving this book at my house, but I really can’t since it is only plumping me up.

Note to self: find a new hobby. Preferably one that includes hours upon hours of running to work off cupcakes. I’ll work on the I-hate-running part later.

My most favorite part about these cupcakes?

They are crunchy. The crumbled cookies inside gives each bite a crisp crunch, on top of delicious chocolate-vanilla flavor.

And I normally do not like frosting. I know that sounds hypocritical with all other sugar, butter, and fat-laden items I love to eat, but I have never been a fan of icing.

Until now.

Holy cow. I will forever be icing every cake and cupcake I ever make with cookies and cream frosting.

Mr. How Sweet didn’t have any of these cupcakes yet.

He was afraid that he couldn’t stop at just one. Apparently, he has cookies and cream issues.

Did you know that Mr. How Sweet is now on Twitter? If you want a laugh, follow him. I am sure he is about to ruin my innocent, naive, good-Catholic-school-girl reputation.

Because that is how you must all feel about me, right??

Alas, Mr. How Sweet was right. It is impossible to just stop at one. And let me add, this was the first time Mr. How Sweet was right about anything, because in our house, I’m always right. Always.

Cookies and Cream Cupcakes

inspired by 500 Cupcakes

makes 12 cupcakes

1/2 cup butter

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 cup milk

10 Oreo cookies

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter, sugar, and eggs together until fluffy. Add vanilla.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Crush the Oreos and add them into the batter.

Pour into cupcake tins and bake for 20-25 mins at 350. Let cool, then frost.

Cookies and Cream Frosting

2 sticks butter, softened

1 1/2 – 2 lbs powdered sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1-2 tablespoons milk

10 Oreo cookies

Mix butter and powdered sugar together, adding sugar gradually to the mix. Add vanilla. Mix in milk, adding more if needed. Continue to add milk and sugar until it reaches the desired consistency. Crush Oreos and fold them into the frosting.

Are you a cupcakes lover like me?

While I love making cupcakes, I am usually hesitant when buying them from a bakery. In my experience, as pretty as they look, they are usually dry and somewhat stale. And they also cost an arm and a leg.

I have too many shoes to buy. Shoes last longer than cupcakes. And I can’t eat them.

131 Responses to “Cookies and Cream Cupcakes.”

Mackenzie@TheCaramelCookie — February 10, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

These look AMAZING!! I love anything cookies and cream!!

katie — February 10, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

YUMMMM LOVE ME SOME CUPCAKES!
    these look great Jess..as always!

Katie — February 10, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

I actually prefer cake over cupcakes (something about a slice of cake really does it for me), but that frosting looks INSANE!!

By the way…One cup self-rising flour equals:
    1 cup all-purpose flour, plus
    1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, plus
    1/8 teaspoons salt

…so you don’t have to brave the storm. :-)

Jenny — February 10, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

Wow. Just, wow. Any recipe that calls for 20 oreos between the batter and frosting has got to be a winner!

terri — February 10, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

oh my gosh….those look like pure heaven!!! def. going to make this a keeper! thanks for the amazing recipes! they all look sooooo tasty!! xoxo~terri

Yum Yucky — February 10, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

you lovely, evil woman, you……

Erin — February 10, 2010 @ 6:01 pm

Oh my word those look fantastic!! I was just trying to come up with what to bake for a co-worker’s surprise shower and I think we’ve got a winner!

Jamie — February 10, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

These look fantastic! I love Oreos and cupcakes!

Stephanie — February 10, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

These look fabulous! I’m with you, I’m normally not a real cupcake (or cake) person bc they are usually a letdown and just cakey and dry — exception: my bff’s red velvet cupcakes w/ cream cheese frosting holy addicting — but I digress, these look totally un-”cakey” and un-”dry” and mostly just freaking delicious making them something I probably couldn’t stop at just one of either :P

Amber — February 10, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

I have this cookbook- and I have made these before!! Delicious, and no..stopping at one is a crime. Cake is not my thing- but ICING is. Yes, yes it is..

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — February 10, 2010 @ 7:17 pm

Cupcakes are purely amazing. Love them.
    And cookies and cream?! Girl.. you’re a genius.

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} — February 10, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

You had me at sweet, frosting and crunchy! Yes, these would be very hard to have in the house. I love how that whipped frosting looks on these cupcakes. I do love my layer cake, but I could turn to these cupcakes in a big way.

Pure2raw Twins — February 10, 2010 @ 8:52 pm

Looks heavenly :) We love cupcakes!!! Wish I had one now, LOL>

april — February 10, 2010 @ 9:28 pm

Ok those look to die for!! That first picture reminds me of McDonolds oreo mcflurries.. I used to get those all the time when I was young! Now I’m craving one.. thanks a lot ;)

Jocelyn — February 10, 2010 @ 10:09 pm

Your cup cakes look absolutely delicious!! I was ready to eat them off the page : )

xo

jocelyn

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 10, 2010 @ 11:08 pm

I am not a big cake fan either, but those cupcakes look great – I love the colour.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — February 10, 2010 @ 11:28 pm

Girl. Those look amazing. And the frosting with butter and oreos, hello, can’t go wrong. I cant believe you werent a fan..til now. Seriously, that’s so unlike you!!

Thanks for showing the comment love today…
    Now if only i could get my freakin commenting system under control. New system was working great then bam, reverted to blogger’s crap again. I hate technology! And what’s weird, I had 6 comments come in that were on the new system, then yours came in, and it went back to blogger’s crappy antics. I have no idea but hopefully it’s fixed…sigh. technology.

As if you care but just wanted to thank you for showing the love.
    xxoxo

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — February 11, 2010 @ 7:04 am

I can almost taste these cupcakes from here!

Miriam — February 11, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Haha I love your last remark about shoes, very funny! For my part, I do not make cupcakes or baked good because I cant resist sweet… I am unstoppable. Only, sometimes I make cookies, they never last more than 2 days, so I try to make them as healthy possible so I won’t feel (too) guilty… I know… no willpower. ;)

Jamie (Food in Real Life) — February 11, 2010 @ 9:33 am

Holy.crap. These look INCREDIBLE.

Nicole (dishin') — February 11, 2010 @ 11:01 am

I’m drooling. This is an awesome combo..that frosting looks amazing. It’s my favorite part of cupcakes. Love that frosting :)

Shannon @ bakeandbloom.com — February 11, 2010 @ 11:41 pm

I got 2 words to say to you here Jess…OH-BABY.

they look good!

Antonia — February 12, 2010 @ 1:10 am

That cupcake looks absolutely heavenly!

Monika — February 12, 2010 @ 11:46 am

these look delicious!!!!!
    I agree, store bought cupcakes are usually dryish and outrageously expensive. Just few days ago I paid $6 for 2, they looked so beautiful we stared at them for hours and when we finally decided to not to restrain ourselves any longer, the taste was rather disappointing.

Karla — February 13, 2010 @ 7:57 am

Oooh goodness! In my week of craziness I missed so much in the blog world!!
    These look AMAZING!!! Your delicious recipes never cease to amaze me (or maybe just make me salivate heavily).

Rachel — February 15, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

WOW, as a HUGE cupcake fan (I write about them a little too much on my own site), I haven’t tried a cookies n cream version myself…but you can bet I’m going to after seeing this! Thanks for sharing!

Tori — February 15, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

OMG! Those look soooo good. Cookies n Cream ice cream is quite possibly my favorite ice cream flavor so im sure these would be my new favorite cupcakes if I ever had one. I think you’ve just inspired me to cook which is saying a lot believe me!

Meredith — February 15, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

These are amazing! I saw your post right before I was about to start cooking a Valentine’s Day dessert, and I immediately changed my plan. I made these instead, and they’re by far the best cupcakes I’ve ever had! My valentine thought so too! Thanks for sharing!

Ashley — February 16, 2010 @ 5:38 am

omg i’m saving this recipe for sure. you know what i think i’m just going to do the julie/julia thing and make every single one of your recipes. My boyfriend would sure be happy :)

Cara — February 25, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

Seriously heavenly. Nice work!!

Taylor @ Changing Habits — July 8, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

These sound delish! I am going to make then this weekend for my mom’s bday. I’ll let you know the reviews :)

Sydni — February 10, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

Are you really supposed to add 2 pounds of powdered sugar to the frosting? That seems extreme. Is “lbs” a misprint or an abbreviation for something else or are you really supposed to use that much?

• Jessica — February 11th, 2011 @ 1:44 am

Yes that is correct. Have you ever made buttercream frosting? That is how it is made. Powdered sugar comes in 1 or 2lb bags. You can cut the recipe in half if you want but for the right consistency, that amount of powdered sugar is usually called for.

Sam — February 12, 2011 @ 10:56 pm

I just bought all the ingredients and about to make these :) I’ll let you know how they turn out.

corinne — February 14, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

I made these last night for Valentine’s Day but used Tagalong girl scout cookies instead of Oreos. My fiance was all “you need to get these Tagalongs out of the house before I eat the whole box” so I did what any logical person would do, I turned them into cupcakes :)

Candice — March 7, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

Hey! First I must say these cupcakes look AMAZING! and second I was wondering if I could have your permission to use one of your photos for an art project? I’ll link you to the final project once completed so you can see the results :)

• Jessica — March 7th, 2011 @ 7:32 pm

Sure!

Kate — March 15, 2011 @ 11:19 pm

I couldn’t wait to try these but ran out of time so my lovely fiance whipped up a double batch on Saturday – so yummy, everyone loved them!

Kayle — March 18, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

I’ve decided that you and I are the same person. I know this must be shocking for you to hear. But, we have the same food weaknesses, the same hatred for running yet desire to you know…not be fat (and somehow ignoring that as soon as a delicious something is in front of you), both of us had Catholic school educations, and we both of boys who eat a looot (although…I guess thats virtually all boys). I love this blog, and I love that we’re the same. You’re awesome (if I do say so myself :P)!

• Jessica — March 19th, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Thank you!! :)

Krysten — April 10, 2011 @ 6:47 pm

I made these tonight and for some reason they ended up VERY sweet. I’ve made buttercream on it’s own, and the batter tasted fine, but the result didn’t seem to mesh well. I doubled the recipe (doubled all the ingredients), so I’m wondering if it was maybe too much sugar? The components by themselves worked, but together it was just too much. Do you have any suggestions?

Erin — April 19, 2011 @ 7:27 pm

Yuuuuum!! My friend made me a version of these and actually filled the cupcakes with frosting and put it on top. It was amazing.

Alison — April 24, 2011 @ 2:10 pm

Just made these for Easter! They are amazing! Thanks for the great recipe!

mandy — May 4, 2011 @ 1:25 am

#1 in my house! best ever

Amy J — May 9, 2011 @ 11:23 pm

OMG…..I am dreaming about taking the tops off of two chocolate cupcakes and slathering them with this frosting…..my cheating version of a cookies and cream whoopie pie! can I say heck yeah?! :) thank you for these awesome posts. I can feel my thighs widening already.

Carla — May 17, 2011 @ 7:07 pm

I’m a teacher and I made them for my Kindergarten class. I’m bringing them to school tomorrow to celebrate all of the student’s who have summer birthdays. They look awesome (I stuck a half an oreo on top)! Thanks for the recipe!!!!!!:)

Cha — May 30, 2011 @ 7:04 am

Tried this one! Absolutely perfect. Underbaked it just a little to make it more moist and still look black and white like an oreo cookie! Thanks for the recipe! =)

Ashley — July 13, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

I made these cupcakes recently and had leftover frosting that I froze, can I just defrost it now and use it? Does it need to be re-whipped when it’s defrosted? Will it matter that the oreos were already mixed in?

• Jessica — July 13th, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

I use frosting from the freezer all the time and it’s usually fine! If you want, I’m sure you could whip it a bit after it comes to room temperature but it’s not necessary. Probably just depends on the exact texture!

• Ashley — July 14th, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

I whipped it a little and added more oreos for the crunch, came out great! Thanks!

Kayli — July 26, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

Had a box of oreo crumbs, decided to give these a try. They came out amazing, especially the frosting! I’ll definitely be bookmarking this for future use.

Suzanne — July 29, 2011 @ 7:01 pm

I’m making your Oreo Cupcakes tonight but mixing it up with a Strawberry Italian Buttercream on top, Can’t wait to see if it’s a winner!

Holly — August 9, 2011 @ 6:18 pm

I have these cupcakes in the over as we speak, and I just finished making the frosting. What’s the best method to get the frosting onto the cupcakes (and not directly into my mouth)? No seriously, can I use a bag with the tip cut off, even though there will be oreos mixed in?

• Jessica — August 9th, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

It depends on how “crushed” your oreos are. I usually just use a spatula!

val — November 24, 2011 @ 4:09 pm

I made these yesterday and they were perfect! So delicious and amazing. My whole family loved them!!

CiCi — May 2, 2012 @ 9:01 pm

OMG I just died!! I absolutely lovvveee oreos and to add them to my favorite dessert? How awesome is that?! Can’t wait to make these for my friends bday since he’s also a lover of cookies:)