Thank you all so much for your loving support over the past few days. I am not really ready to begin blogging again, but feel it’s best to get back into a routine. Plus, I miss you all!

I made this omelet last Saturday, and surprisingly didn’t add bacon. Speaking of bacon, I am thinking about giving it up for Lent. Yes, I know Lent began last week, but that was really the last thing on my mind. I haven’t eaten bacon all week, and it will be pretty darn challenging for me to give it up. I may have to fry it up just so I can smell it – it should help with my withdrawl symptoms.

I love adding potatoes to omelets instead of having them on the side. I chop them up very small, then add them to a skillet with a bit of olive oil. Once they are golden and crispy, I add in some sweet shallots.

This just made my house smell heavenly.

Almost as amazing as the delectable scent of bacon.

I also added some tarragon to the eggs, which was left over from Mr. How Sweet’s Valentine’s Day dinner. It gave a great hint of flavor. I may have a slight tarragon obsession now.

An omelet isn’t an omelet to me unless it involves cheese.

Well, let’s be honest – life isn’t life unless it involves cheese. I thought about giving up cheese for Lent, but the fact is that I use it as a protein source since I haven’t been enjoying much meat. I also don’t want to waste half the food in my fridge – yes, it’s all cheese.

Melty, creamy brie went into this omelet. The crispy potatoes, the tarragon, and the brie was the best omelet combo I have ever tasted. The flavors meshed perfectly.

Crispy Potato and Brie Omelet

Serves 1-2

I yukon gold potato, chopped into tiny pieces

1/2 shallot, chopped

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 whole eggs

2 egg whites

2 tablespoons heavy cream

1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped

1 1/2 oz brie cheese

salt and pepper to taste

In a small skillet, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add potatoes and cook until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add shallots and saute until translucent. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and tarragon together.

Add egg mixture on top of potatoes and onions and let set – about 5 minutes. Slide a spatula under and flip. Add brie cheese on top and fold in half.

Serve immediately.

What is your favorite omelet combo? And more importantly, what have you been up to? For the first time in almost 6 months, I clicked ‘mark as read’ in my google reader for 6 days straight. Geeez . . . and I thought the lack of bacon gave me withdrawl symptoms.

74 Responses to “Crispy Potato and Brie Omelet.”

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 22, 2010 @ 4:40 am

Your back!! Yay!!!

I’ve NEVER had Brie in an omelet before and I have no idea why!!

My favorite omelet combo is Feta and spinach! Have a great day Jessica!

Jess (Fit Chick in the City) — February 22, 2010 @ 5:12 am

Welcome back! I’ve missed you! Despite the fact that I don’t really like eggs, I do love a good omlete every once in awhile. Favorite combo would be tomato, spinach, feta, onions.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 22, 2010 @ 5:28 am

Welcome back, sweet girl! This omelet looks amazing!

Duchess of Fork — February 22, 2010 @ 5:31 am

Hey Jessica! So glad your back and so very sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. My grandmother is one of my very best friends (lives about a mile away) and I cherish every moment I can with her.

This omelet looks great! I love sauteed mushrooms, bell peppers, and cheddar cheese with sour cream and salsa on top! Have a great day!

Shannon — February 22, 2010 @ 5:46 am

Good to see you back. Its important to take all the time you need for yourself and your family in times like that. Your readers will still be here :)

I love omelets! Spinach, tomato and cheese is my go-to combination.

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — February 22, 2010 @ 5:49 am

Welcome back girlie! This looks DELISH – I adore brie – so adding it into this omelet is GENIUS! Have a lovely day sweetie!

Erica — February 22, 2010 @ 6:02 am

Hey girly! Hope you’re doing well. I’ve certainly missed your posts. I had an omelet yesterday at brunch and it was delicious. Egg whites, cheese (duh), peppers & onions=amazing!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — February 22, 2010 @ 6:07 am

Oh how fancy!! I love goat cheese & spinach in omelets :)

Jacquie — February 22, 2010 @ 6:26 am

You take as long as you need. Blogging will always be there as well as your readers :)
    I love omelets with spinach, sweet potato, pepper, onion and goat cheese. A meal in a small package- yummm!

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — February 22, 2010 @ 6:31 am

Glad to see you are back! Your omelet looks delicious. I have never cooked with fresh tarragon before:) I love ham and cheese in my omelet, but I also like putting potatoes in mine as well!

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — February 22, 2010 @ 6:34 am

This looks awesome. I really like brie in dishes rather than just on a cracker… it’s too strange of a taste for me, even as a cheese lover!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 22, 2010 @ 6:36 am

That omelet looks amazing – I am loving the melty cheese! I agree, life isn’t life without cheese.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — February 22, 2010 @ 6:39 am

hey lovie! I hope youa re doing well! that omelet looks delicious! I dont like bacon anyways so this is PERFECT brie in there sounds so good!!

love u!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — February 22, 2010 @ 6:40 am

SO glad you’re back :) This omelet looks amazing!

The Candid RD — February 22, 2010 @ 6:46 am

Glad you are back! I hope everything was just as your grandma had hoped, and she was watching down smiling at you :)
    Your omelet looks perfect. I love putting a ton of things in my omelet; CHEESE of course, mushrooms, spinach, and sometimes even chicken (which Nick hates…). I just love omelets because of how creative you can be with them!
    Have a great Monday! Keep smiling :)

Jenn @ Livewellfit — February 22, 2010 @ 6:46 am

Again, I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. I lost my Grandmama very suddenly and I know how overwhelming that experience is. You’re right…you won’t necessarily be ready for the normal routine yet but it can help. In some ways!

Just take care of you!

Mellissa — February 22, 2010 @ 6:49 am

I missed you! I love ham and cheese omelets, they make me happy.

Abby — February 22, 2010 @ 7:12 am

I’m so glad you’re back!! I’ve really been missing you all the recipes that I don’t usually make but always intend to…
    This looks so yummy! I’m scared of making omelets because I’ll butcher them, but I really should give it a try. I’ll have David standing by with a fire extinguisher just in case!

Katrina — February 22, 2010 @ 7:18 am

Glad to see you back! Your omelette looks great.

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — February 22, 2010 @ 7:18 am

Your omelet looks divine! I have brie in my fridge that is going to be used for this recipe!
    My favorite omelet combo is probably spinach and feta or goat cheese. I just love the salty tang of those cheeses, and the taste of cooked spinach. Yumm.
    P.S. Glad you’re back, I hope you’re doing ok

megan — February 22, 2010 @ 7:26 am

welcome back :) Your omelet looks absolutely incredible. my husband loves omelets, and I like to sneak veggies into his :) never tried brie though – i bet it would be incredible.

i’ve been gone for a few days too, and I feel so out of the loop!

Kelly — February 22, 2010 @ 7:28 am

I am so glad you are back but take your time in your healing! We have missed you. This omelet looks so good!!

Amanda — February 22, 2010 @ 7:38 am

You made this omlette look divine dear Jessica!

I am still just so heartbroken for you… I know how much you love your grandma!! I pray that God is easing your heart through this time and letting you dwell in everything that brought you joy with your grandma…

Be blessed-
    Amanda

Stephanie — February 22, 2010 @ 7:58 am

Welcome back dear, I am so glad to see that you are pulling yourself back into the normal routine as a part of healing. The omelet looks fantastic especially with the addition of the brie cheese. You are amazing for getting back in the kitchen and back to blogging so soon, my prayers and support are with you :)

Sara @ ActiveGal — February 22, 2010 @ 7:59 am

That omlet looks yummy! Glad you are back, but feel free to take as much time as you need! We will always be here!

Jenny — February 22, 2010 @ 8:25 am

I’m glad you’re able to “ease” your way back into blogging–I missed you! But I know you still need to take some time for yourself :)

I’ve never tried potatoes in an omelet, my favorite add-ins are mushrooms, bell peppers, spinach, and tomatoes…and of course, cheeeeeese!

Mr. How Sweet It Is — February 22, 2010 @ 8:30 am

Darling wifey,

Mr. How Sweet likes his omelets to look more like pizza with pepperoni and sausage (but no bacon, ay least until Easter). Just in case you are needing any dinner ideas. :) Maybe not tonight but perhaps later in the week.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad — February 22, 2010 @ 8:42 am

Welcome back! I missed reading your decadent recipes. :-)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — February 22, 2010 @ 8:45 am

We eat a lot of omelets here! It is a definite favorite. I love cabbage and salsa on my omelets! I don’t miss cheese normally, since I can’t have it, but yours made me miss it! Glad to have you back! Take your time and know my thoughts are with you!

Nicole (dishin') — February 22, 2010 @ 8:51 am

This looks great! I love a good omelet. I hope you and your family are doing okay. In the past two years, I’ve lost three of my grandparents so I understand what you’re going through. As I hard as it was to go through, I feel grateful to have had them in my life for 25+ years.

Thinking of you!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — February 22, 2010 @ 8:56 am

I’ve been thinking of you these past few days! Take all the time you need to get back into your routine. We will be anxiously awaiting your tasty treats until then!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 22, 2010 @ 9:06 am

wow, this sounds sooooo good! i have recently fallen in love with brie, and i think it’s probably good on just about anything! i love omelets with bacon and asparagus…yum!

i’m so glad you’re back! you and your family are still definitely in my thoughts and prayers!

PippaPatchwork — February 22, 2010 @ 9:06 am

Glad you’re back to blogging! When it comes to omelets, I like LOTS of cheese and caramelized onions, and any other veggies. But yours looks pretty delicious!

Crystal — February 22, 2010 @ 9:07 am

I’m glad you’re back to blogging! I know it’s been hard and wish you and your family the very best during this hard time!

My favorite random ingredient in omeletes is black olives…it seems odd at first, but is actually very tasty!

Jenna @Healthy. Happy. Well. — February 22, 2010 @ 9:27 am

Looks delicious! I don’t eat eggs but this would be a great modified recipe with egg substitutes. Thanks for sharing!

Kacy — February 22, 2010 @ 9:37 am

Glad to hear from you girl. Take your time and go at your own pace.

That omelet looks so fantastic! I 152% concur that life isn’t life without cheese :)

Christie @ Honoring Health — February 22, 2010 @ 10:16 am

I’m sorry to hear about your grandma. {{{HUGS}}} Take your time with the blogging. Just do whatever feels right.

That omelet looks so delicious, I am glad you decided to share it with us.

stephchows — February 22, 2010 @ 10:24 am

Hope things are going better! This looks amazing!!!!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — February 22, 2010 @ 10:39 am

welcome back!!!

Gosh that looks amazing… all the melty brie.. yum!!!! And yukon gold potatoes are the BEST.
    My favorite omelet is probably just plain cheddar cheese.. simple but good :D

Paige (running around normal) — February 22, 2010 @ 10:47 am

Welcome back, Jess. Glad you’re getting back into the swing of things…take as much time as you need, hun.

Now for those omelets. Those pictures of it look amazing! The oozey cheese? Um, yum!!!

MelissaNibbles — February 22, 2010 @ 11:10 am

I can’t imagine an omelet without cheese. What’s the point? This looks great.

I’m glad you’re feeling a little better. I’ve missed you sweet girl! Big hugs!

Chrysta — February 22, 2010 @ 11:17 am

oh darlin’ I wish you the best and Im glad to see you getting back to routine. Your omelet looks amazing. Very decadent and delicious! My favorite omelet is loaded with spinach, onions and peppers. So tasty! Have an awesome day!

One Healthy Apple — February 22, 2010 @ 11:31 am

Hi lovely lady! Welcome back!! I’ve missed all the cheese and bacon and butter!!!
    I love adding spinach, peppers, and recently a sprinkle of fresh parm cheese.
    I’m so glad you are back :)

Melinda — February 22, 2010 @ 11:41 am

Oh heck yes! Anything with brie is delicious. My mom used to do a challah bread (round braid with the hole in the middle) and the brie baked in the hole, then when you cut in the brie would ooze out. I am totally craving brie and eggs now.

Emily (A Nutritionisteats) — February 22, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

Glad to have you back – that omelet sounds to die for.
    But you had me at brie. :)

Therese — February 22, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

Oh man every omlette should contain brie…that looks devine.

Take your time in healing babe. We will all be here waiting when you are reading to return to reading/blogging!

homecookedem — February 22, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

Missed you! I’ve been thinking about you and your family. Take all the time you need. We’ll all be here for you!! :)

That omelet looks heavenly! :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 22, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

Glad to see you are back at your wonderful cooking and blogging. Hopefully you are looking back on good times spent with your grandmother with smiles and joy!
    This omelet looks grand, I can smell it from here! Like how you will handle bacon withdrawl. I too wouldn’t want to give up cheese :)

Biz — February 22, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

I don’t celebrate lent, but I don’t think I could go without my beloved cheese for 40 days!!

Love shredding zucchini into my eggs – it makes them extra fluffy – you just have to squeeze the zucchini in a paper towel otherwise you’ll have watery eggs!

Lisa — February 22, 2010 @ 3:21 pm

Brie??? You are speaking to my heart! I LOVE cheese! What a great addition to the omlette!

1. Pingback: Smoothie Mood | Simple Eats