Thank you all so much for your loving support over the past few days. I am not really ready to begin blogging again, but feel it’s best to get back into a routine. Plus, I miss you all!

I made this omelet last Saturday, and surprisingly didn’t add bacon. Speaking of bacon, I am thinking about giving it up for Lent. Yes, I know Lent began last week, but that was really the last thing on my mind. I haven’t eaten bacon all week, and it will be pretty darn challenging for me to give it up. I may have to fry it up just so I can smell it – it should help with my withdrawl symptoms.

I love adding potatoes to omelets instead of having them on the side. I chop them up very small, then add them to a skillet with a bit of olive oil. Once they are golden and crispy, I add in some sweet shallots.

This just made my house smell heavenly.

Almost as amazing as the delectable scent of bacon.

I also added some tarragon to the eggs, which was left over from Mr. How Sweet’s Valentine’s Day dinner. It gave a great hint of flavor. I may have a slight tarragon obsession now.

An omelet isn’t an omelet to me unless it involves cheese.

Well, let’s be honest – life isn’t life unless it involves cheese. I thought about giving up cheese for Lent, but the fact is that I use it as a protein source since I haven’t been enjoying much meat. I also don’t want to waste half the food in my fridge – yes, it’s all cheese.

Melty, creamy brie went into this omelet. The crispy potatoes, the tarragon, and the brie was the best omelet combo I have ever tasted. The flavors meshed perfectly.

Crispy Potato and Brie Omelet

Serves 1-2

I yukon gold potato, chopped into tiny pieces

1/2 shallot, chopped

1 tablespoon olive oil

2 whole eggs

2 egg whites

2 tablespoons heavy cream

1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, chopped

1 1/2 oz brie cheese

salt and pepper to taste

In a small skillet, heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add potatoes and cook until golden brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add shallots and saute until translucent. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, egg whites, heavy cream, salt, pepper, and tarragon together.

Add egg mixture on top of potatoes and onions and let set – about 5 minutes. Slide a spatula under and flip. Add brie cheese on top and fold in half.

Serve immediately.

What is your favorite omelet combo? And more importantly, what have you been up to? For the first time in almost 6 months, I clicked ‘mark as read’ in my google reader for 6 days straight. Geeez . . . and I thought the lack of bacon gave me withdrawl symptoms.

74 Responses to “Crispy Potato and Brie Omelet.”

Nicole, RD — February 22, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

Holy YUM! I love taking leftover fajita meat and peppers and onions and throwing that into an omlet with some pepperjack — droool!!

Glad you’re back in posting action :)

Katie — February 22, 2010 @ 5:14 pm

That melty brie looks heavenly…seriously. What is better than ooey gooey cheese running out of an omelet.

I think the smell of bacon would put me over the edge if I couldn’t eat it – good luck with that. :-)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — February 22, 2010 @ 5:44 pm

An omelette without cheese just is not an omelette, I have to agree with you there. I’m glad you decided to not give up cheese… I would feel a lot of pressure to do the same if you did. Cheese just makes the world go ’round. :) glad you’re back!

pen — February 22, 2010 @ 5:52 pm

Oh my gosh that looks soooo amazing!

Jamie @ My Baking Addiction — February 22, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

This looks like the perfect weekend breakfast!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — February 22, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

eggs bacon dairy…not gonna happen girl but you make this food look beautiful.
    as discussed, LMK how I can help. I am here to help you; youre amazing, both in an out of the kitch, on and off the blog, and take your time. If you dont want to blog, girl. Don’t. We will all be here when you’re ready to come back. Totally. xxoo

Cheryl — February 22, 2010 @ 7:14 pm

Looks perfect! Brie is popular amongst us bloggers lately:)

Jessie — February 22, 2010 @ 7:42 pm

Take all the time you need. I miss your posts, but your happiness is the most important. Enjoy yourself as much as you can xoxo

Mae @ OhhMay — February 22, 2010 @ 7:49 pm

Potatoes in omlettes always remind me of Spanish food. Diced is a really good idea! And the brie is so innovative- I love it!!

I hope you continue to heal. I know how tough this time is.

:-)

Katharine — February 22, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

Delicious looking!

Sorry I haven’t commented sooner, life got away from me for a little bit. I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am that you lost someone so important to you. I’ve lost all four of my grandparents, two of which I was extremely close to, and it never gets any easier. I took a workshop this weekend that really reminded me of some philosophies I’ve used in the past to help me when I’m hurting. The first one is to allow yourself to grieve – life is a cycle, and if you don’t allow yourself to spend enough time in each one you can’t move on and start the healing process. Another thing that I’m sure is much easier said than done right now, but your grandmother may not be here in the physical sense anymore, but she will ALWAYS be here in your memories, in the memories of your family, and in YOU. Never forget that :) And let me know if you need an ear!

Serena — February 22, 2010 @ 8:58 pm

This looks absolutely amazing and delicious! Wow!

Blond Duck — February 23, 2010 @ 5:19 am

I seriously need an omelet now. With bacon.

Light Delight with TouTou — February 23, 2010 @ 6:01 am

Glad you are back – hope all is well with you and your family !

That melting cheese is soooo enticing…..I should have that this morning!!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — February 23, 2010 @ 6:10 am

How come my omlettes never look like that???

Ashley — February 23, 2010 @ 6:33 am

you make me drool all day every day! brie in an omelet? WITH POTATOES? nothing seems better, this looks divine my darling!

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — February 23, 2010 @ 6:54 am

Oh, that melted brie in the omlet looks TO DIE for! Glad you are back blogging, I’ve missed looking at your scruptious food and reading your hilarious stories. It is good to take some time off, but know when you are ready to get back into the swing of things.

Jessica — February 23, 2010 @ 9:34 am

Hello girl! Welcome Back!

This omlete looks amazing. :) YUM!!

My favorite omlete combo is sauteed garlic and fresh mushrooms in olive oil and spinach. Once the omlete is done, I place on a whole wheat tortilla shell and place freshly diced cherry or grape tomatoes and feta cheese on top and fold over. The combination of the fresh mushrooms, tomatoes, and spinach with the garlic flavor and melted feta cheese is just amazing.

I am new to your site and I just love it!! I am glad to see you are back!! Hope you have a spectacular day.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — February 23, 2010 @ 6:20 pm

This looks like a great omelet… I’m not a huge potato fan, but my hubby is, so I’m sure he’d LOVE it! I’d love it because of the brie, so we both win :)

Simply Life — February 24, 2010 @ 6:45 am

oh that cheese just makes the whole thing look mouth-watering!

The Waspy Redhead — February 26, 2010 @ 9:37 pm

I just found your blog from one of my favs, Duchess of Fork. I love it! I can’t wait to try some of these recipes.

Piper @ The Crazy Apron — March 2, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

So I just saved your blog on my favorites at work. I have only ever done that with 3 other blogs, and one of them is my own! I browse blogs all the time, and yours is in my top 3 for sure. I’m making this tonight. Thanks so much!

Dgrub — June 10, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

I added the mushroom instead of potatoes and here’s my version at http://desigrub.com/2010/06/union-of-aged-brie-and-old-mushroom-in-an-omelet/

Mobile Network Comparison — May 3, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

The egg looks VERY overcooked!