Become a fan of How Sweet It Is on Facebook!

Last week I found myself with an undying desire for kiwi. I bought 4 when I was grocery shopping, and by morning was left with 2. I guess hungry, angry husband syndrome set in.

He must have really enjoyed the kiwi, because he came home Saturday afternoon with 3lbs of them. That equals out to approximately 24 fuzzy guys. But don’t take my word for it, because I’m really bad at math.

Each kiwi tasted better than the next – juicy, fresh and sweet. Is it kiwi season? Is there such a thing?

But what was I to do with all of them? Unlike my husband, I can’t eat things over and over and over again.

First idea that came to mind? Make a salsa with it. I love fruit salsa. I love any kind of salsa. I love anything I can dip a chip into. And yes, salsa is one of the only way I eat veggies. They are always edible when smothered on a salty chip.

Into the mix went kiwi, mango, orange bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, avocado and lime juice.

It’s easy for me to avoid nibbling while cooking when there are vegetables involved, since they are the last thing I want to nibble one.

So while making this, I nibbled on some chocolate instead. It all evens out.

We ate the salsa with both cinnamon sugar pita chips and tortilla chips.

They were equally delicious. We got a hint of salty and sweet in each bite. At least I did. My husband was too busy inhaling and snorting the salsa in an effort to quickly get it in his system. He certainly thought it was tasty.

The avocado added such a great, creamy touch. I must say that this was really the perfect blend of ingredients, with the tastes and  textures meshing perfectly.

Kiwi Mango Salsa

2 kiwi’s, chopped

1/2 mango, chopped

1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped

1/4 red onion, chopped

1/2 avocado, chopped

1/8 cup chopped cilantro

a few squirts of lime juice

salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with cinnamon sugar pita chips and tortilla chips.

If you do one thing this week, make this salsa! It is totally worth spending the $800 on one mango and $1,250 on one avocado. At least that is about what they cost in my neck o’ the woods at the moment.

But then again, I’m really bad at math.

85 Responses to “Kiwi Mango Salsa.”

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 1, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

I absolutely LOVE your combination! Very creative, and I know those flavours would be superb together.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — February 1, 2010 @ 6:04 pm

O wow, I love this combination. Spring is just around the corner and the price will come down for kiwis right? I would continue to pay whatever for kiwis and avocados though :)

Abby — February 1, 2010 @ 6:23 pm

Seriously, Jessica, where DO YOU COME UP WITH THIS!

And I’m really bad at math, too!

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place — February 1, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

That salsa looks like summer…that’s what I’m longing for right now!!! yumm!

Jenny — February 1, 2010 @ 6:46 pm

That salsa sounds not only delicious, but also is very pretty as well! Love the combo of avocade and fruit, YUM!

Eliza — February 1, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

love fruit salsas. yours looks so fresh! even if it did cost a ton =)

Yum Yucky — February 1, 2010 @ 7:02 pm

oh yeah! and look at those avocado chunks. I’m in!

Mae @ OhhMay — February 1, 2010 @ 7:08 pm

I love the avocado with the tart ingredients! It sounds really delicious, and a perfect comprimise between a fruit salad or chips and dip.
    Avocado and mango are expensive here too. It’s so frustrating, especially if you get a bad one. (boo my pricy mango last week was awful!)

Annother beautiful dish!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — February 1, 2010 @ 7:10 pm

This is precisely MY kind of recipe…thank you!!! Except Id leave out the red onion :) I can never just make something as is, ya know. LOL
    Glad that you’re liking my white choc PB cups AND that the nooch is working! Cant wait to see what you make with it!
    xoxo

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — February 1, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

I LOVE fruit salsa! I’ve never had Kiwi Mango, but Peach Mango is my kryptonite!

Priyanka — February 1, 2010 @ 9:09 pm

Yum, this salsa looks so so good!

Shelley — February 1, 2010 @ 9:19 pm

i love htat picture of the kiwi… kiwi is one of my favorite fruits even though i rarely eat it

eatingRD — February 1, 2010 @ 9:26 pm

mmm Looks fantastic and fresh! Yes, why are they so darn expensive? lol

Cate O'Malley — February 1, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

It’s funny, kiwi is one of the things we all pick out of fruit salads here, but you make it sound and look so good!

The Candid RD — February 2, 2010 @ 6:14 am

You are so creative. I have never seen kiwi used in a salsa, and I think this is just so great. I love kiwi. Did you know kiwi are good for PMS? They are actually a good source of vitamin E! I never would have though that, but recently learned it.

Thanks for the great recipe Jessica! I hope you have a good, busy?? day!

Paige (running around normal) — February 2, 2010 @ 6:34 am

This would be the perfect salsa on a hot summer night!

brandi — February 2, 2010 @ 6:55 am

yum, I love kiwi! Great idea to use it in salsa.

LindsayRuns — February 2, 2010 @ 3:51 pm

Are they really that expensive for you? Mangos are 75 cents each and avacados are a dollar each here… I thought that was a good price! Salsa looks great! I try to make salsa all the time, this is going into the books!

• Jessica — February 2nd, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

Avocados are about $3-$5 each here right now…as for the mango I don’t remember!

Dimitry — February 2, 2010 @ 4:20 pm

That looks so refreshing will work great for my Mexican week
    thanks

Emerging Domesticity — February 2, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

Just found your site tonight & love it. I’m new to the food blogging world {and cooking/being domestic in general}, and love to find all these new recipes and ideas! Thanks for posting! I look forward to following you!
    ~Emerging Domesticity

Lisa @ Early Morning Run — February 6, 2010 @ 2:02 pm

this looks delicious!

PippaPatchwork — February 9, 2010 @ 6:10 am

AMAZING. That looks so good!

Mandy — April 11, 2010 @ 5:10 am

I just made this for my spring party and it was the hit of the night! Regular pita chips were delicious with it. I will definitely make this on a regular basis throughout the summer! Love it, thanks!

Ingrid — July 8, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

WOW!!!!!!

Rachel M — March 7, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

Of COURSE you would have a recipe for kiwi mango salsa, you have everything! Here I am brainstorming ideas for how to use my kiwis, google “kiwi mango salsa” and well yeah. I shoulda known just to search your site. I seriously make something from your blog at LEAST once a week. Thank you for being awesome!