This peanut butter granola was my first attempt at ever making a homemade granola.

I’d say it certainly was tasty since I devoured the entire tray within 3 seconds. Which is why I usually don’t make my own granola – because I will eat it all in one sitting.

Someone please give me some self control.

I mixed a ton of sticky ingredients together before laying them across a baking sheet.

And I ate about 38 spoonfuls before it even went into the oven. What is it that makes granola so addicting? It is virtually impossible to stop at the recommended serving size.

This is another treat that Mr. How Sweet didn’t even get to taste. I don’t even think I told him I made this. No biggie – he wouldn’t have eaten it anyway since is lacked meat.

Plus, ‘granola’ to him equals weird, hippie-like people. He basically has convulsions when I make him go to Whole Foods or a co-op.

Oh – well, here is the main reason Mr. How Sweet didn’t get any granola. His wife scarfed down this giant bowl while he was out shoveling snow. I do my part, he does his.

Peanut Butter Granola

1 1/2 cup rolled oats

1/4 cup puffed rice

1/4 cup wheat germ

1/4 cup natural peanut butter

3 tablespoons honey

2 tablespoons peanuts, chopped

pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350.

Combine all ingredients together until mixed. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

Do you have a killer granola recipe? If so, please share!

Some fun things:

You can now subscribe to How Sweet It Is by email. Click the cocktail icon at the top of the screen on the left. :)

Become a fan of How Sweet It Is on Facebook!

If you haven’t yet, check out my RECIPE INDEX.

And once again, thank you so much for all of your sweet comments and wonderful, genuine caring words.

89 Responses to “Peanut Butter Granola.”

Fit Chick in the City — February 23, 2010 @ 7:07 am

Jess! This looks amazing and simple! I am afraid that if I make it I may eat it all in one sitting. But hey, isn’t that why we workout? =)

megan — February 23, 2010 @ 7:09 am

yum yum yum!! I LOVE homemade granola. I have 2 that I make regularly (only one is currently on the blog though – look in the breakfast label). Plus homemade granola bars are on my favorites list. husband loves those…he gets so sad if he runs out. I’m definitely trying your version…but mutliplying the ingredients so it lasts longer! :)

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — February 23, 2010 @ 7:10 am

Peanut butter granola sounds perfect! I love the simple ingredients. :)

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — February 23, 2010 @ 7:16 am

that sounds ahhhhmazing! I know what I’ll be making this weekend! Peanut butter in granola?? brilliant!!

Erica — February 23, 2010 @ 7:19 am

I love making my own granola! My recipe is actually up on my bloggy now! I am always mixing up the ingredients for new combos. Granola is addicting!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 23, 2010 @ 7:20 am

Lol– granola is definitely one of those foods that I just have TOTAL lack of self-control with. Yours looks DELISH! :-)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — February 23, 2010 @ 7:33 am

My mom used to make this granola when I was younger, and like you, I’d eat as much of it as possible before anyone else got some! I love the stuff!

Kelly — February 23, 2010 @ 7:35 am

Granola is such a trigger food for me! I can seriously polish off an entire box or a container in one sitting. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! This is definitely one I am going to make and eat ALL of! haha..I will not share with the hubs! :)

Morgan — February 23, 2010 @ 7:36 am

that would be entirely dangerous around me. I want some!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — February 23, 2010 @ 7:39 am

I made peanut butter granola the other night and had to immediately put it in a tupperware and put it on a shelf that is hard for me to reach…

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — February 23, 2010 @ 7:39 am

Great minds must think alike, as I just made my homemade granola on Sunday. Here it is:

Never thought of adding PB to it…might have to try that next time!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 23, 2010 @ 7:43 am

I’m the same way when I make my own granola! I can’t stop eating it!

Don’t know why I’ve never thought to make PB Granola… hmmm, maybe I should try :)

Jessie — February 23, 2010 @ 7:44 am

I have yet to make a homemade granola that I like but this one looks really good. What kind of puffed rice do you use? Rice Crispies or a whole grain variety?

Jean @ BellaBeFabullous — February 23, 2010 @ 8:09 am

Jessica – This granola looks incroyable!

I would have definitely devoured it in one sitting too, no guilt-allowed girl!

Granola is just one of those dangerously delicious foods I have come to accept that if it is purchased/made, it will be eaten…..in full…immediately, lol. The best defence I’ve found so far is making or purchasing just a small serving.

Thanks for the recipe & have a great Tuesday!

Biz — February 23, 2010 @ 8:11 am

I like the new header! Just noticed it :D

I love granola – Sophia of Burp and Slurp made me THE BEST granola for Christmas – I’ll have to get that recipe from her – it was the best I’ve ever eaten!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 23, 2010 @ 8:38 am

yum!!!! i usually just make regular granola with tons of coconut…i love toasted coconut soo much! this sounds amazing though…you had me at peanut butter :)

Sara — February 23, 2010 @ 8:42 am

Mmmm, peanut butter! I’d totally eat this all by myselft too. :)

Maria — February 23, 2010 @ 9:16 am

Hubs is going out of town next week for business, so I am making this! He is allergic to nuts so I can’t have them when he is around:(

Anne @ the doctor takes a wife — February 23, 2010 @ 9:19 am

This came at the perfect time!! I just ran out of my coconut almond granola, and definitely need something new :)

Kacy — February 23, 2010 @ 9:22 am

Everytime I buy granola I eat it all within a few days. I don’t even think that would last a few hours.

Marisa (Loser for Life) — February 23, 2010 @ 9:33 am

PB granola sounds amazing! I KNOW I would eat the WHOLE BATCH!!

Julie Size — February 23, 2010 @ 10:26 am

Yummo! pass me a plate!!

Enjoyed visiting your blog!
    Julie

Katy — February 23, 2010 @ 10:29 am

I have the same problem around granola, so I cheat — every morning, when I’m getting ready, I throw a half cup of rolled oats, half cup of quinoa and a couple of nuts on a baking sheet. I toss ‘em with maple syrup, a teeny bit of olive oil, salt and cinnamon. Stick the whole thing in the oven at 375 and it’s ready in about 20 minutes.

I take it to work for lunch so I get the best of both worlds — yummy granola and self-control!

Gena — February 23, 2010 @ 10:35 am

This looks delicious! I’d probably use almond or cashew butter, but it’s totally up my alley.

I usually just throw together some nuts, seeds, and dried fruit and serve it with almond milk. It’s a poor man’s granola, but I enjoy it!

One Healthy Apple — February 23, 2010 @ 10:40 am

I can’t be left alone around granola or cereal. If I made this I would be found passed out on my kitchen floor with the spoon still in my hand! This looks delicious! One of the best granolas I had was made by my coworker and had cashews, almonds, sunflower seeds, and maple syrup…it was good, and gone in one day.

Kalli@fitandfortysomething — February 23, 2010 @ 10:42 am

That looks so good. I think I may have to try making my own granola!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — February 23, 2010 @ 10:42 am

I love the idea of adding peanut butter to homemade granola! I would definitely devour it too :)

Sarah — February 23, 2010 @ 10:48 am

LOL! MMM, that looks so good! I really like this granola: http://freecoconutrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/02/coconut-vanilla-granola.html (it’s on foodbuzz too). You can play around with the ingredients; I like to add brown rice cereal (either decrease the oats or increase the syrup part if needed). This one is another favorite: http://www.freecoconutrecipes.com/recipe_Coconut_Peanut_Butter_Granola.htm.

Sarah — February 23, 2010 @ 10:58 am

Oh, btw, I forgot to add that I like adding maple syrup to the Vanilla Granola. How much? Idk. :P To taste. As needed. :)

Annette — February 23, 2010 @ 10:58 am

I am going to have to try your granola recipe. My granola recipe is on my blog (see above). We usually make it with dried blueberries or craisins. Delicious!

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — February 23, 2010 @ 11:25 am

this is my all-time favorite granola recipe..and it’s addicting too..I have to portion out little amounts so I can make it last :)

Let me know if you try it!

katie — February 23, 2010 @ 11:33 am

WOW jess this looks awesome!!
    i bet this would be SWEEEET in yogurt! WITH more PB!

Meg — February 23, 2010 @ 11:39 am

I am 100% making this granola! And not telling my husband about it either :)

Kate @ Cozydelicious — February 23, 2010 @ 11:54 am

This looks so yummy! I wonder if adding chocolate chunks would nullify all the goodness of the oats? But peanut butter and chocolate just belong together!

I actually make granola almost every week, I’m addicted. I posted my favorite recipe (for a cardomom, sesame, and pistachio version) a few weeks ago:

Therese — February 23, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

Granola=crack! Seriously. That is why I don’t buy it, make it, think about it. Seriously just reading your post made me gain 10 pounds. Cereal works the same way for me. Drat.

Nicole, RD — February 23, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

LOVE granola! But how is 1/2 cup a serving of anything? I’m with you on that one!

I have a KILLER granola recipe called “Power Granola” — it’s under my recipes tab. My mom just made it and loved it, too. The Coconut Cherry granola is wonderful, too. I pretty much love it all!

Jocelyn — February 23, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

Looks delicious! I have never made my own Granola before– I’d probably be like you though and eat it all in one sitting!!

xo

Jocelyn

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle — February 23, 2010 @ 1:37 pm

Peanut butter? Granola? I WANT to make this, but I just don’t trust myself!!

Jen — February 23, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

Just made this one this past weekend… it’s fantastic.

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — February 23, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

Anything with pb, I will eat! I pretty much go through at jar every week and a half (just me). I loved how you said that your hubby practically had convulsions entering a whole foods! Hilarious! He would die if came to my house! This looks amazing!

Angela @ A Healthy FIt — February 23, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

Granola = me devouring it. It is the same with trail mix. I have absolutely no self control. If you start a self help group, I will sign up.

Katie — February 23, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

Holy yum – this is like dream food to me. I have a granola recipe – but it has about 3000 ingredients that I never have, and while it’s delicious – I rarely make it because it sucks time and money out of my life. I’d much prefer to make yours because it has peanut butter and it looks perfect. :-)

Lisa — February 23, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

ooooh that looks TOO delicious! I would have no self control either :)

Simply Life — February 23, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

wow! that granola sounds amazing!

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — February 23, 2010 @ 2:44 pm

i cannot be trusted around granola either… i’ve only made it myself once & it didn’t make it to breakfast & i made it right after dinner. eek!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — February 23, 2010 @ 2:47 pm

yum – i made a quick granola once (quick bc I was impatient to let it cook any longer) and ate the entire thing in one breakfast…I’ll have to try making this one, but maybe a smaller portion this time!

homecookedem — February 23, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

PB granola sounds wonderful. I don’t eat granola though b/c I can’t stop at a normal serving. I eat waaaaaaaay too much!!

Pure2Raw Twins — February 23, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

Homemade granola is the best. I have not made some in so long. It sure looks good!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — February 23, 2010 @ 3:56 pm

OMG this is a keeper! and yes, this is the same reason I dont make it so often! I will eat the entire thing, even before baking no joke. It will be gone!! this looks good and acutally not that bad for you, but if it was, I wouldn’t care because I want that NOW!

thanks Jess :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 23, 2010 @ 4:17 pm

1 1/2 cups of oats is a do able portion for one (before they expand!). The tummy might not feel too great after, but munching away on granola is a true treat. Your PB oats look fab. Good thing your hubby was outside shoveling.
    Here is a recipe I created last summer for granola bars, photos have gotten way better since then :)

1. Pingback: Maple Almond Granola Recipe

2. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 44 | my kitchen addiction

3. Pingback: French Toast, Fast Food, and Full of Granola « Lighter Portions

4. Pingback: Peanut Butter Granola, or What America Does Better Than Australia - Wayfaring Chocolate

5. Pingback: PB Granola + Craving Strength Training « Food, Fitness, & Fun