Become a fan of How Sweet It Is on Facebook!

Saturday night, I had an intense craving for chocolate.

There wasn’t anything special about this, because I usually am craving chocolate 23 out of 24 hours each day. I even crave it when I sleep. I dream about it. I would marry it if I could.

Sorry, hubby.

This craving was different. I wanted something rich. Something so chocolatey that I couldn’t see straight. I didn’t want a cookie. I didn’t even want a brownie. So after reading the reviews for this chocolate loaf from Nigella, I decided it would fit the bill.

It was super easy – all of the ingredients just went into a food processor!

I knew the cake would be tasty with the addition of sour cream. I love sour cream in my baked goods – it makes them so moist.

The batter was a smooth, thick, chocolate mess. Thicker than brownie batter and fabulous tasting. I was satisfied just by eating the batter.

And the final product? Just perfect.

Double Chocolate Chip Loaf

from Nigella Lawson

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa
1 1/3 cups sugar
1 1/2 sticks soft unsalted butter
2 eggs
1 tablespoon good-quality vanilla extract
1/3 cup sour cream
1/2 cup boiling water
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or morsels

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F, putting in a baking sheet as you do so.

Put the flour, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla, and sour cream into the processor and blitz until a smooth, satiny brown batter. Scrape down with a rubber spatula and process again while pouring the boiling water down the funnel. Switch it off, then remove the lid and the well-scraped double-bladed knife and, still using your rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips or morsels.

Scrape and pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and put into the oven, cooking for about 1 hour. When ready, the loaf will be risen and split down the middle and a cake-tester will pretty well come out clean.

I skipped the chocolate sauce included in the recipe, opting for something more sinful. Sure, I was craving chocolate, but I thought a Bailey’s glaze would top the cake off perfectly.

Bailey’s Glaze

1/2 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream Liqueur

~ 2 cups powdered sugar

Mix both ingredients in a mixer, adding more or less sugar depending on desired consistency.

I drizzled a bit of  Bailey’s glaze over my slice. (And may have had a huge glass of Bailey’s on the side.)

Then I did it with about 4 more slices that same evening. The cake, not the drink.

Well, OK – the drink, too.

My husband didn’t have any Bailey’s glaze, because he claims that he ‘doesn’t like that.’ As you very well know, he has probably eaten it. :)

75 Responses to “Quadruple Chocolate Loaf Cake.”

The Chocolate Priestess — February 3, 2010 @ 6:33 am

Looks very yummy. Did it curb your craving?

• Jessica — February 3rd, 2010 @ 6:51 am

Yes it definitely cured my craving! :)

Fit Chick in the City — February 3, 2010 @ 6:37 am

One question: Is this legal? =)

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} — February 3, 2010 @ 7:18 am

So when I read that you skipped the chocolate sauce, I thought “wow she has self control!” Then I read about the Baileys glaze. Even better! This is total yum cake…who could eat just one piece?? I too love sour cream in my treats.

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — February 3, 2010 @ 7:21 am

haha. I love Nigella Lawson. I would just sit watching TV mesmerized during Nigella Bites on Style Network when it was on. LOVED IT! This looks amazing!

Maria — February 3, 2010 @ 7:23 am

Lots of butter and chocolate-perfect for indulging!

Amanda — February 3, 2010 @ 7:30 am

Are you kidding me? This is insane. I want to make it RIGHT NOW!! And its only 8:30. :)

You are so talented girl!

Blessings-
    Amanda

Nicole (dishin') — February 3, 2010 @ 7:49 am

Looks amazing to me! I bet it was amazing right out of the oven…mmm!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — February 3, 2010 @ 7:57 am

That looks awesome! I have a ton of mini loaf pans in my cabinet for no apparent reason… I might need to use this to fill them, then promptly give them away!

Kelly — February 3, 2010 @ 8:00 am

I too was craving chocolate last night, although I went the route of having a small palmful of dark chocolate chips, which worked surprisingly well.

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — February 3, 2010 @ 8:32 am

Wow. This is definitely one I’d like to make. My in-laws just got me a food processor, so this might just be the first recipe I use it for!

Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle — February 3, 2010 @ 8:44 am

So how do you think this loaf would hold up being shipped across the country? :D My stepdad’s birthday is soon and I have been debating what to send him. Seeing as he is a fan of all things containing the words “chocolate” and “Irish,” this could work.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 3, 2010 @ 8:51 am

I’m pretty positive this would cure any chocolate craving I have!!

I love Nigella… there’s something about her that just draws me in…

Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear — February 3, 2010 @ 8:52 am

Sour cream, really?!? I am suffering from the “not knowing what I am eating is something I really don’t like” syndrome a la the hubby. Tricky tricky Miss Jessica!!!

Therese — February 3, 2010 @ 9:10 am

oh em gee. Yea that wouldn’t last a day in my house. You know because the hubbie would eat all of it ;)

I don’t need to remind you how much I love Bailey’s either…

kay (eating machine) — February 3, 2010 @ 9:10 am

i want to glaze things with baileys now.
    probably a little too early for that…

MelissaNibbles — February 3, 2010 @ 9:15 am

This post should be X rated.

adrienmelaine — February 3, 2010 @ 9:15 am

That looks amazing!

I’m still counting down the days (12) to make your red velvet cake- I think of it every day and am saving it for Valentines- so cheesey, but it’s true!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — February 3, 2010 @ 9:23 am

this looks amazing…i love loaf cakes!!! super easy…and I have all the ingredients. hurray :)

Amy from She Wears Many Hats — February 3, 2010 @ 9:25 am

Oh my!!! This looks like a new favorite. I so wish you were my next door neighbor – you always have yummy stuff.

Yum Yucky — February 3, 2010 @ 9:30 am

It would be noooo problem for me to eat that whole thing. In one sitting. In about 12 minutes flat. I’m not kidding.

Gabriela — February 3, 2010 @ 9:42 am

I need to stop being hungry when I read your blog…this looks intense! Thanks for the recipe!

Gaby — February 3, 2010 @ 10:06 am

love this! I mean seriously how can you go wrong with quadruple chocolate cake? A-MAZING!

Kelly B. — February 3, 2010 @ 10:25 am

Yum Yum…I can not show this to Keith or else he will want it ASAP! haha!

Melinda — February 3, 2010 @ 10:27 am

Yummy! This looks delish as always. I think that is all I ever right on your blog…everything looks so good.

Chrysta — February 3, 2010 @ 10:29 am

So fabulous girl. I crave chocolate all the time! This is something that is right up my alley. Plus im loving the addition of the baileys glaze. This totally made my day! I hope you have a rockin day!!

Madeline- greens and jeans — February 3, 2010 @ 10:30 am

My question is, how do you keep from just eating the dough before it even makes it to the pan?

Katie — February 3, 2010 @ 10:45 am

Holy crap this looks amazing!!!! Thank you for sharing this with us! :) My mouth is watering as I type.

my spatula — February 3, 2010 @ 11:30 am

you’ve just intensified my chocolate craving for the day. what a gorgeous loaf!!

megan — February 3, 2010 @ 11:47 am

umm…wow. looks incredible.

what’s the texture like? is it cakey? it looks so moist from the pictures! Would I like it if I don’t like chocolate cake? I do like brownies and fudge though!

• Jessica — February 3rd, 2010 @ 11:51 am

I think you would like it – it is more moist and fudgey, but it isn’t super sweet!

Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie — February 3, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

oh wow looks definatly good.. I have to ask what do you do with all of your leftover food and baked goods?

• Jessica — February 3rd, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

Gelarah – while I post the whole recipe for a dish, many times I only make 1/2 or 1/4 of it. But I also have a lot of family/friends around and we do some entertaining, so they get to eat lots of goodies, too! We hate to waste food so we rarely throw it away. It gets eaten somehow. :)

Katie — February 3, 2010 @ 12:06 pm

Ughh…you are KILLING me with chocolate cake pictures. Seriously, how do you squeeze all these yummy baking projects in? I die.

• Jessica — February 3rd, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

Katie – most of my baking is usually done on the weekend – maybe 1-2 things, it just depends!

Monique — February 3, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

that looks so moist and decadent! Oh how i miss fresh baked goods!

Blond Duck — February 3, 2010 @ 12:33 pm

I always love really rich, intense desserts. It’s insane.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — February 3, 2010 @ 12:46 pm

INSANE on its own, then you go ahead and add teh baileys cream?!?! when is this bakery of yours going to open, huh?? I will be in line in an instant!!! your hubby is one lucky man to have you baking all of these treats!!

Dimitry — February 3, 2010 @ 1:14 pm

I see you enjoy having bailey with your chocolate goodies.

Sarah @ The Foodie Diaries — February 3, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

THAT LOOKS SO GOOD. You need to move to NY so you can help lull my chocolate cravings. And then make me workout.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — February 3, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

That glaze sounds incredible!!

LiLu — February 3, 2010 @ 2:06 pm

Ummmmmmmmmm. I think you should do a giveaway with some of this.

Just sayin’. ;-)

One Healthy Apple — February 3, 2010 @ 3:05 pm

Mmmmm…Bailey’s glaze! I love that you crave chocolate and make a gourmet treat! I, on the other hand attack the 1 pound chocolate bar we keep on hand at home. Amazing I still fit through our doors!

Shelley — February 3, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

quadruple chocolate?!?!? im in

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place — February 3, 2010 @ 3:47 pm

OMG all of your stuff looks so good. I know I’d eat that whole loaf in one sitting so it would be totally dangerous to make this !

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — February 3, 2010 @ 3:53 pm

Sinful indeed!! Your hubby is hilarious :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — February 3, 2010 @ 4:04 pm

so Nigella Lawson is just the best. I love that woman. Calls it like it is, doesnt care about diet or food choices, she just eats it! and loves and savors every bite. This cake…nice. JEeezzzzz the choc factor alone! wow! :)

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — February 3, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

Uh, yes please! Anything by Nigella Lawson means pure decadence….and I’m all for it!

Rachel — February 3, 2010 @ 5:26 pm

Oh my gosh, that looks amazing. Definitely trying that at some point.

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — February 3, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

I wish this was in my house…like now. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one craving chocolate 23 out of 24 hours in the day. :)

homecookedem — February 3, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

Oh I adore Nigella Lawson! I want to BE here!! Haha, seriously, her attitude towards food is something that I strive for. Life is too short not to indulge in the foods we love. I bet that chocolate loaf cake was out of this world!!

homecookedem — February 3, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

I meant I want to be HER, haha! ;)

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils — February 3, 2010 @ 6:28 pm

I really love how this dessert doesn’t look too “cakey” And I heart chocolate haha.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — February 3, 2010 @ 6:41 pm

how did you not eat the entire thing in one sitting?? this looks amazing – i can’t even describe!

1. Pingback: Steph's Bite by Bite » Blog Archive » State of Emergency

2. Pingback: Salty Caramel Drenched Double Chocolate Loaf Cake | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: A Tale of Two Cakes | My Shiny Life