I have an issue.

An issue which you already know about.

I need something sweet every single day. Ok, maybe I don’t need it, but like the shoeboxes that have taken over my closet, I want it.

And truth be told – I want something sweet every minute.

I would be perfectly content eating dessert for breakfast, lunch and dinner, along with a nice serving of salt ‘n vinegar chips to give me that salty fix.

But my clothes won’t be content with me spilling out of them.

And Mr. How Sweet won’t be content when I need to buy a new wardrobe since nothing fits.

So in come my little banana bites. They are super versatile.

I first had a chocolate-covered banana at some kind of redneck fair years ago.

I’m talkin’ like . . . more than 15 years ago. I hate that I can say that now. I feel so old.

When a banana is coated in chocolate, there just isn’t enough chocolate for me. I love bananas, don’t get me wrong. But if I am going to eat a chocolate-covered banana, I want equal ratios of banana to chocolate in each bite.

I also have super sensitive teeth. I cannot bite into a whole frozen banana. And when I see people bite into ice cream cones? Ugh – that is like nails on a chalkboard for me. I absolutely cringe.

So, these mini frozen banana bites fit the bill perfectly. They have an excellent ratio of chocolate to banana. And they don’t hurt my teeth.

Check out how incredible the look!

In my opinion, they are also a guilt-free treat.

Unfortunately, I never feel guilt when it comes to food. I say ‘unfortunately’ because this means I can take down an entire pan of brownies without a second thought.

Taking down an entire tray of these does much less damage. Makes me feel good about myself. And makes my jeans love me more.

Adding a peanut butter drizzle makes them taste like an absolute sin. I’d prefer to sin this way- through eating food. It is Lent, afterall.

Chocolate Banana Bites

2 bananas, cut in 1-inch slices

3/4 cup milk or dark chocolate chips

peanuts for garnish

peanut butter for drizzling

Slice bananas into 1-inch chunks and freeze for 60 minutes.

In a double boiler or microwave, melt chocolate until smooth. Remove bananas from freezer and immediately dip in chocolate, placing on wax paper when finished.

Drizzle with peanut butter or crushed peanuts. Freeze for 10 minutes or until ready to serve.

I added banana bites to some non-fat, plain green yogurt. It taste delicious, but it was very cold.  I am thinking these would be unbelievable in oatmeal. I haven’t got around to that yet because every evening, I eat the entire pan.

In need of a little giggle this Friday? Head on over to the Fit Bites section and check out Mr. How Sweet’s Q and A post.

Still curious? Ask him something!

86 Responses to “Chocolate Banana Bites.”

Mellissa — March 12, 2010 @ 7:12 am

I am making these for ladies night on Saturday. They look so amazing!

Christie @ Honoring Health — March 12, 2010 @ 7:13 am

What a brilliant idea! I bet it would work with many frozen fruits, I’m thinking cherries and strawberries :)

CookiePie — March 12, 2010 @ 7:14 am

LOVE these – like little banana truffles! Yummy!

homecookedem — March 12, 2010 @ 7:16 am

What a great idea!! I could totally handle making these too!! I love frozen choc. covered bananas and love the idea of “bites.” Mostly b/c I think you end up getting more “chocolate covered” part, don’t ya think?! ;)

Kate @ Cozydelicious — March 12, 2010 @ 7:24 am

Um, how have I never thought of this? I adore frozen, chocolate covered bananas, but as you said they are kind of heard on the teeth, and they are just too big and too much. But these bites are perfect! And the peanuts too… does it get any better? I am making these tonight! Thank you!

April — March 12, 2010 @ 7:29 am

You’re killing me with all the yumminess!

Katrina — March 12, 2010 @ 7:37 am

I just ate peanut butter spread onto my banana and then opened my computer to this…*sigh*

Lexie — March 12, 2010 @ 7:43 am

What a wonderful way to eat fruit. Covered in chocolate. Yummm. Seeing these actually reminded me of the peppermint patties you made before. I must must make those.

Sharon — March 12, 2010 @ 7:44 am

OMG, I love those Chocolate Covered Bananas, I have been making those for some my Chocolate Tasting Party’s and people just go on and on how good they are. Thanks for letting others no there is some thing else that taste good and covered in Chocolate.

Sharon — March 12, 2010 @ 7:45 am

I for got to attach my web site for you….

Leslie — March 12, 2010 @ 7:48 am

I find it ironic that I discovered your blog the week I gave up sugar! However, I plan to splurge once a week and cannot wait to try your recipes.
    PS-I discovered frozen bananas when I was 5 and visiting Balboa Island, CA. Yum! We still go there every summer and I have to have one.

dawn — March 12, 2010 @ 7:50 am

love my ‘nanas with chocolate! love these!

Stephanie — March 12, 2010 @ 7:53 am

you have the BEST ideas! totally agree with the banana to chocolate ratio necessary – what a great solution :)

so glad Mr. HS shaved that ‘stache too! ps did you know there is some sort of march mustache madness thing that men have going on… yea, seriously, really?

Sophie @ yumventures — March 12, 2010 @ 7:55 am

OMG. I must have died and gone to heaven. These look AMAZING! I love the peanut addition as well, to add some saltiness to the sweet flavors. Perfect!

Anne — March 12, 2010 @ 8:10 am

That’s what I call my kind of baking; quick and easy :D

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — March 12, 2010 @ 8:12 am

Just when I think you can’t outdo yourself, there you go!

Natalie — March 12, 2010 @ 8:15 am

I could…. and WOULD eat all of these in one sitting! YUMM!!!

Kerry — March 12, 2010 @ 8:19 am

I can’t wait to try these! I made your cookie dough truffles last week, and they were a huge hit. I’m sure these will be just as popular. Thanks for the great idea!!

Paige (running around normal) — March 12, 2010 @ 8:21 am

Ok chocolate and bananas might even be better friends than chocolate and peanut butter. AMAZING!

Bethany — March 12, 2010 @ 8:21 am

WOW these look AWESOME! After you make them, do you keep them in the freezer or fridge?

• Jessica — March 12th, 2010 @ 8:21 am

Freezer!

Katie — March 12, 2010 @ 8:30 am

How genius and easy is this recipe!? I don’t love bananas on their own, but add some chocolate and I’m sold. Then drizzle with pb…you’ve got me. I may have to try these this weekend.

Oh, and I’m with you on the cold teeth thing. Ice cream biters make me scream.

Deb (Smoothie Girl Eats Too) — March 12, 2010 @ 8:32 am

The rednecks were onto something. I used to have a frozen (nut encrusted) banana every time I went to Disneyland as a kid. I think that may have been the only reason I WENT to Disneyland! :-) I have actually been thinking of doing this with some sugarfree (I know perish the thought) chocolate as it melts so well and my acupuncturist recommends that I cut back on (my already small intake of) sugar. sigh! thanks for this post!

Erica — March 12, 2010 @ 8:42 am

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Banana dipped in chocolate is so so good. I made bananas on a stick dipped in chocolate one time for a party- they were a total hit. Hope you have a wonderful weekend

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 12, 2010 @ 8:52 am

I love cold things (I even chew ice cubes, sorry for that visual), bananas, and chocolate, so these will definitely be on my “to make” list!

Jordan — March 12, 2010 @ 8:58 am

eeeek! I have chills thinking about biting into ice cream cones and worse, biting directly into popsicles!

I’m thinking marshmallows and some graham cracker crumbs on these this weekend. They will be the size of softballs, but I can still call them bites right? ;)

Jacquie — March 12, 2010 @ 9:16 am

Yummy yummy! I made a variation of this for a bridal party once and they were a huge hit. Since then I definitely have added them to my freezer many times especially during the hot, summer months! I hope those months come soon…

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — March 12, 2010 @ 9:35 am

Oh my gosh…this is amazing Jess! Chocolate + bananas is SO YUMMY!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 12, 2010 @ 9:43 am

YUM!!! These look great! I LOVE a frozen banana w/ chocolate! the PB makes it even better!

Julie — March 12, 2010 @ 10:18 am

oh wow. those look amaze. I’m a sweet fiend too…I could eat sweets day in and day out.

PippaPatchwork — March 12, 2010 @ 10:26 am

Wow, your food ideas never cease to amaze–and tempt–me!

Amanda — March 12, 2010 @ 10:27 am

Oh no you didnt. Seriously… LOVE the combo!! Your blog is heaven for me!!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 12, 2010 @ 10:40 am

I love frozen chocolate covered bananas!!! And I’m with you on the sensitive teeth thing!

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — March 12, 2010 @ 10:40 am

What a great idea! And it’s kinda sorta healthy…

Shelley — March 12, 2010 @ 10:59 am

you are amaazing- these look delicious!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 12, 2010 @ 11:13 am

these sound amazing…i love chocolate covered stuff! i need some now! :)

Ashley — March 12, 2010 @ 11:15 am

OMG…those in OATmeal would be INsane!!!!!!! they would be crunchy but gooey inside AND the chocolate would start to melt..ahhhh…this blog is dangerous!! =P

Shannon (The Daily Balance) — March 12, 2010 @ 11:29 am

“redneck fair” HA! you crack me up ;)

these look incredible! love that they are “bite-size” — need to make these ASAP ;)

Kitchen Monki Dan — March 12, 2010 @ 11:46 am

Debauchery, in it’s purest food form!

april — March 12, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

Mmm those sound amazing! I don’t know if I could stop at one though!

susan from food blogga — March 12, 2010 @ 12:28 pm

Creamy, rich, fruity, and chocolaty. Brilliant!

sara — March 12, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

seriously one of my favorite foods. so easy and totally hits the spot. I need a dessert daily too, no shame :)

Kacy — March 12, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

Holy crap. This I can do. Counting down the days until Lent is over. Then I’m making these!

Duchess of Fork — March 12, 2010 @ 2:01 pm

Oh yum, Jessica! My two favorites. I’ll have to wait until Lent is over to enjoy these bad boys, though (I gave up sweets). Thanks for sharing!
    ps- have you figured out how to resize images on your mac? If not, email me and I’ll fill you in. duchessoffork{at}gmail{dot}com. :)

Cooking Rookie — March 12, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

wow, such a simple and yummy recipe. It’s perfect for my bf – he loves bananas :-). I will certainly give it a try! Thanks for sharing :-)

Biz — March 12, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

Yep – definitely insulin worthy!!!!!! Thanks for the idea Jessica!

Just Audrey — March 12, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

THESE ARE INCREDIBLE! So easy, too. I love it! I only wish I would’ve thought of this brilliant idea.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — March 12, 2010 @ 3:33 pm

love this recipe as I love all of your recipes. I have a request to see your shoe closest since you’ve dropped a few hints you <3 shoes :) I think blogging and reading blogs are making my jeans tight. happy friday!

kay (eating machine) — March 12, 2010 @ 4:34 pm

fruit = healthy! your brain works just like mine

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — March 12, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

hahaha I love that you said the first time you tried these was at a red neck fair 15 years ago! that must have been one great fair!! this is the perfect sweet treat, b.c it is not totally sinful yet looks and probably smells it! I love the PB drizzle on there! as a kid, my mom would freeze bananas and drizzle chocoalte syrup on them for my and my brother for a healthier dessert/…of course we always added candy on top of them ;)

Jenn (j3nn.net) — March 12, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

I’m with you on the sensitive teeth thing. I don’t know how some people can bite ice cream.. aaaah! lol

Chocolate covered banana bites sound amazing! Love the drizzled PB on top, too. YUM YUM

Jenn

1. Pingback: When It Rains… « THE FOODIE DIARIES

2. Pingback: Sometimes, coming up with a title is just too hard « Why Deprive?

3. Pingback: Chocolate Banana Bites || imwaytoobusy.com