I have this thing for dried cherries.

Let’s call it a . . . mutual relationship.

Speaking of mutual relationship’s, that is how Mr. How Sweet’s best man described their relationship at our wedding. Yes. That was kind of odd, and I’m so glad I have the video footage to forever remind them of that.

Dried cherries remind me of vacationing in Northern Michigan. We would always get a large bag of dried cherries at American Spoon, and they would be devoured within days.

And yes, I was the one who was doing the devouring.

Now that my tastebud’s have matured a bit, I couldn’t think of any better to go with dried cherries than chocolate.

Dark chocolate especially.

I don’t often enjoy dark chocolate. I prefer chocolate in the milk variety – you know, the kind that clogs arteries and adds bulk to your waistline.

But dark chocolate fits the bill for these tart cherries.

Plus, it’s the healthy kind of chocolate. So you can eats lots of it. Which equals eating lots of these cookies.

I made the cookies specifically with my dad in mind. He loves dried cherries, too, and chocolate. And northern Michigan, so I knew these would be a hit.

I gave him almost the entire batch, leaving 4-5 cookies on the counter at home to finish cooling.

It wasn’t 5 minutes later that I got a picture message from Mr. How Sweet. He asked ‘what is in these cookies that I wouldn’t like? They look weird. Don’t fib.’

I knew Mr. How Sweet wouldn’t like the cookies. He didn’t even try one. They hint of cherry peeking through the chocolate top was enough to turn him away.

He has that darn, 5 year-old palate.

You know, he is always looking for ways to be more like my dad, since my dad does everything perfectly. You’d think he would eat these cookies.

Maybe he will learn in time.

The chocolate cookie recipe comes from Mother Lovett’s recipe vault, and it is the same one I used for cookies at Christmas.

They dough is similar to crack – you can’t stop eating it. And once you do stop eating it and get it on the baking sheet, the most incredible, moist, chocolatey cookies are born.

These cookies melt in your mouth. The rich chocolate combined with the tart, sweet cherries is a perfect combination.

Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookies

2 sticks butter

1 1/2 cups sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups flour

1/2 cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup dried cherries

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and mix until combined.

Fold in chocolate chips and cherries. Roll into balls and set on baking sheet.

Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.

I am super excited to go to Fitbloggin’ this weekend.

I’m a little worried about Mr. How Sweet. He will probably be a shriveled bag of bones when I return home Sunday evening since he is incapable of cooking.

Who will check up on him?

71 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Cherry Cookies.”

Erica — March 17, 2010 @ 7:00 am

Love your chocolate cookies=total deliciousness. We’re big dried cherry fans over here as well! I always put it in our homemade granola.

Have fun at fitbloggin! I wish I could go!

Maria — March 17, 2010 @ 7:01 am

Yea for cookies! I will be trying these, maybe with cranberries since I have a huge bag at home!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — March 17, 2010 @ 7:03 am

those look phenomenal, and like something people in my fam would LOVE!
    I’m super bummed i can’t go to fitbloggin, but i’m hoping you’ll make it to Chicago for the HLS this summer?

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 17, 2010 @ 7:06 am

I love dried cherries! So much that I can’t have them in the house for too long ;)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — March 17, 2010 @ 7:21 am

OMG you and me both! I LOVE dried cherries, also frozen ones in my smoothies and oatmeal, but dried are DANGEROUSLY addicting! Jess, you need to host a giveaway, giving away lots of your goodies :)

Erin of Brownie Bites — March 17, 2010 @ 7:23 am

I don’t think I’ve ever tried dried cherries in cookies! Very cool.

Meghan — March 17, 2010 @ 7:27 am

I love cherries and chocolate! These cookies look fantastic! Michigan cherries are seriously amazing; they’re the best I’ve ever had.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 17, 2010 @ 7:36 am

what a fantastic combo! i LOVE DRIED CHERRIES and chocolate. i can’t wait to make these this week for the office!

Nicole @ making good choices — March 17, 2010 @ 7:37 am

Oh you just never fail me jess. I’m exhausted from parent teacher conferences and like a zombie today just seeing your cookies gave me a sugar rush! How’s the no bacon thing going??

Mr. How Sweet — March 17, 2010 @ 7:39 am

Baby,

Mr. How Sweet and his best buddy have also described themselves as “lifting partners for life.” I will not trust just anyone’s handoff as I go for 300lbs on the bench press later this summer.

Mr. How Sweet — March 17, 2010 @ 7:42 am

PS – Mr. How Sweet runs a mean grill and has several local pizza joints on speed-dial. Mr How Sweet will survive. And finally watch “Inglorious Basterds” w/o interruption.

Evan Thomas — March 17, 2010 @ 7:47 am

These sound oh so good :-) Nothing’s better in yogurt than american spoon cherry butter and dried cherries(unless you want to add some dark chocolate in there, too

Nicole, RD — March 17, 2010 @ 7:51 am

Anything that starts with 2 sticks of butter can’t be anything but heavenly! Have fun at FitBloggin’!

PippaPatchwork — March 17, 2010 @ 7:53 am

Ah, my mouth started watering just looking at that! Dark chocolate is my #1 favorite food on the planet (sorry, I’m not a big milk fan).

Kacy — March 17, 2010 @ 7:55 am

I prefer milk chocolate too… BUT those look fantastic!

Katharine — March 17, 2010 @ 7:57 am

Those look absolutely fantastic! I love dried cherries – the dark chocoloate covered ones from Trader Joe’s are a guilty pleasure of mine. So I will definitely be trying these!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 17, 2010 @ 8:08 am

I must admit, I like fresh cherries better than dried…but these cookies look amazing! They might just convert me :-)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 17, 2010 @ 8:11 am

My grandma used to make cookies like this with walnuts. Soooo good!

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — March 17, 2010 @ 8:30 am

I love Mr. How Sweets comments :) My husband has an Aunt in Michigan who has sent us dried cherries before. AH-mazing!! Not nearly as good as the ones I get in NC.
    Can’t wait to mee you at FitBloggin’ this weekend!

Sarah — March 17, 2010 @ 8:44 am

This flavor combination is one of my favorite. I made a similar recipe for a cookie exchange and everyone enjoyed them so much I make them every year now.

I have a love relationship currently with avocados. Not sure why but I want them all the time.

Nastassia (LetMeEatCake) — March 17, 2010 @ 8:45 am

Mmm cherries and chocolate is there a better combination. I love the chocolate chips peaking out of those cookies. I bet your dad loved them!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 17, 2010 @ 9:16 am

mmmm what a good combination. I love dark chocolate and prefer it over milk chocolate!

Catherine — March 17, 2010 @ 9:18 am

Haha that dough sounds like it’d be crack to me too! Tart cherries and dark chocolate??? Yes, please! Aww poor Mr How Sweet – he sounds exactly like my fiance!

Sandy — March 17, 2010 @ 9:18 am

dark chocolate and cherries, there couldn’t be a better combo! mmm these look delicious!

Mr. How Sweet — March 17, 2010 @ 9:48 am

Mr. How Sweet says, “commentor of the day” award goes to Meg @ Be Fit Be Full.” She is correct…I have great comments. Which I guess means I should get “commentor of the day.”

First, I’d like to thank God. Without Him, none of this would be possible. I’d also like to thank my sponsors, Underarmor, Sugar Free Amp, and lower sugar Detour protein bars. I also want to thank my pit crew. I was able to pick up a couple of positions on the track each time I pitted. And finally, on a serious note, I’d like all of you to keep Lookin’ at Lucky in your prayers. I believe he is my 2010 Kentucky Derby pick right now, subject to change, of course.

Tracy — March 17, 2010 @ 9:59 am

I heart dark chocolate…yum!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — March 17, 2010 @ 10:16 am

Chocolate cherry? yes. yes. yes. Thank you!!! :)

Blond Duck — March 17, 2010 @ 10:18 am

These look like these cookies I ate when I was little before I became allergic to chocolate!

allijag — March 17, 2010 @ 10:18 am

I TOTALLY can’t keep straight who is going to Fitbloggin! SO excited you are going to be there – can’t wait to meet you! :)

Gelareh @ Nutritious Foodie — March 17, 2010 @ 10:26 am

The cookies sound really good.

When my mom comes to Houston for a visit she cooks meals for the # of days she is gone, pre-packages the food in portions and marks them… with what it is and what meal and puts them in the freezer for my dad, the only thing missing is heating directions lol… I guess you can give that a try so Mr. How Sweet doesn’t starve :) In my opinion she has spoiled my dad..

janetha — March 17, 2010 @ 10:59 am

wish i was going to fitbloggin with you!

Eliza — March 17, 2010 @ 11:02 am

Just wanted to tell you I am making your strawberry and goat cheese salad tonight and I am soo excited :)

One Healthy Apple — March 17, 2010 @ 11:52 am

I am such a dried cherry fan. By the way, American Spoon products are fabulous! I’m still savoring the jams you sent me!

Cascia @ Healthy Moms — March 17, 2010 @ 11:55 am

That looks delicious!

Simply Life — March 17, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

oh these cookies look amazing and sound similar to the ones I posted about today!

Anne — March 17, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

Poor Mr How Sweet, all alone at home the whole weekend :D

homecookedem — March 17, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

Dark chocolate + cherries = brilliant combination!! :)

Jess — March 17, 2010 @ 2:28 pm

Wow those sound tasty. Living in northern Michigan has it’s perks….of course the cherries! We grow ‘em good here.

Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear — March 17, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

Oh man, Mr. How Sweet, that little acceptance speech up there, all I can do is shake my head.

Your rescue for the weekend will be there in less than 48 hours Jess!!!

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — March 17, 2010 @ 3:40 pm

Love the combination! It sounds amazing. I have a bag of dried cherries that I haven’t open yet. Maybe I was waiting for this recipe? :)

Jenn

raina @ The Garden of Yum — March 17, 2010 @ 4:54 pm

Those look fantastic! I know you work out, but still how the heck do you stay so thin?

Mae — March 17, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

Hahaha I love the Mr. How sweet reaction. I also love that they’re froma recipe vault! I find that awesome- what a great heirloom. :-)

april — March 17, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

I don’t have a thing for dried cherries, I have an obession with prunes!! haha

Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES — March 17, 2010 @ 5:12 pm

do you live near a Publix?

if not, get someone who does to send you their dried cherries! i honestly cant find ones that taste as good as theirs! my dad recently took a trip to florida and returned home with a 2 lb bag of the dried bing cherries from their bulk section (which is why all of my baked goodies featured dried cherries lol), and i’ve never appreciated him so much in my entire life haha. sad.

Pure2Raw Twins — March 17, 2010 @ 6:24 pm

Chocolate and cherries is our grandfathers favorite combo!!! Love it! And excited to meet you at Fitbloggin :)

Jamie @ My Baking Addiction — March 17, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

I love dried cherries too and these look fab!

nikki — March 17, 2010 @ 7:42 pm

Hey do you live in Michigan? I live in Macomb Twp.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 17, 2010 @ 8:05 pm

I have a recipe for raw vegan dark choc cherry balls..

not that you will ever need it b/c you have these! ha! which look amazing.

Fitbloggin. Wish i was goin!

Formspring AND opensky. Thank you for your rant. Validates my thoughts precisely!

xoox

Cheryl — March 17, 2010 @ 8:17 pm

love it! and love how, besides the dried cherries, everything else is stuff you usually have at home:)

Sophie @ yumventures — March 17, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

I might have to make these right now…seriously. Though I’m not a cherry fan, but any dried fruit would probalby be awesome!

1. Pingback: Fridays Are For Snow « Heather's Dish

2. Pingback: Cookie Friday « Mostly Healthy

3. Pingback: What I had for dinner (Cookie Version) « Forgive My Inability to Concentrate

4. Pingback: Whole Wheat Cherry Vanilla Bean Pancakes | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Cherry Vanilla Cookies | Pudding Cookie Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

6. Pingback: MASHED SWEET POTATOES W/BEER MALLOWS AND NUTTY CRUMBLE. HEALTHIER-ISH. | Burpees for Breakfast