Until I made these, I had never tasted an elusive popover.

Sure, they looked golden and puffy and crispy and flakey and delicious and enough to make me go up a jean size, but . . . I’m just not a bread person.

Then, I stumbled across the tiny roquefort popovers in my Williams Sonoma cookbook. I’d like to live in that cookbook.

I’d also like to live in the Williams Sonoma catalog. Please and thank you.

If you’ve been reading along, you know I am a complete sucker for gorgonzola. I would bathe in it if I could.

But, I know that many people don’t like gorgonzola. While I’m insistant that those of you may come from outer space, I can understand how eating moldy cheese may not be. . . appetizing.

So with that, I’m happy to let you know that these popovers would be incredible with any kind of cheese.

In particular, I am thinking of smoked cheddar, asiago, gruyere, havarti . . . you know, just a few of my closest friends.

I believe there is such thing as a popover pan, but I used mini muffin tins and they worked prefectly.

I’d like to get a popover pan, but I think buying one more kitchen item may result in divorce.

Or, at least a temporary separation until Mr. How Sweet becomes emaciated from starving to death.

Honestly, that separation would probably last 16 minutes.

I can’t wait to make these again. I think they are a perfect treat for a dinner party. I love how tiny they are.

I have not attempted them with whole wheat flour yet, but if anyone has, how do they turn out?

Gorgonzola Popovers

makes ~ 25-30 mini popovers

from Williams Sonoma

1 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 pepper

1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley

1 1/4 cups milk (at room temperature)

2 large eggs (at room temperature)

1 tablespoon butter, melted

3-4 oz gorgonzola

Position and oven rack in the lower third of the oven. Preheat to 450.

Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray or brush with oil.

In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. In a large measuring cup, mix milk, eggs, and butter, and stir into dry ingredients until just combined. A few lumps may remain.

Pour batter into tins within 1/4 inch of the rim. Place a teaspoon of gorgonzola in in the center of the batter.

Bake for 10 minutes. Do not open the oven. After 10 minutes, reduce the heat to 350 and bake until golden brown and puffed – about 8-10 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool. Serve immediately.

Are you a bread person?

I’m an everything person. Well, an everything-but-veggies person.

I’d most classify myself as a cheese person. And a bacon person.

Mr. How Sweet is definitely a meat person. And a stinky person.

76 Responses to “Gorgonzola Popovers.”

Maria — March 9, 2010 @ 7:12 am

These are too cute. Perfect for parties or snacking:)

Jil — March 9, 2010 @ 7:18 am

I have always wanted to try popovers, but I’ve never had the opportunity. These look amazing!

Erica — March 9, 2010 @ 7:24 am

mmmm I bet these are melt in your mouth good. I’d also like to live in the Williams Sonoma catalog….why must it be so pricey? I like to just walk around in that store and imagine what my kitchen would like if I owned everything they have :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 9, 2010 @ 7:29 am

Oh my goodness, I am SUCH a bread person. I think if I could choose one thing to live off of for the rest of my life it would be crusty, chewy bread with lots of butter! :-)

These look divine!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — March 9, 2010 @ 7:36 am

I haven’t ever made popovers either but these look great! I like that this is a savory popover recipe too! Bread + cheese….um yes please! :)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — March 9, 2010 @ 7:37 am

I’m a bread person alright :) So is the hubs. Honestly, if I made these for him, I could probably get away with buying 10 new kitchen appliances :)

dawn — March 9, 2010 @ 7:47 am

it would be gross how many of these i would eat in one sitting

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — March 9, 2010 @ 7:54 am

I’ve never made popovers either but these look amazing!

I’m totally a bread person. And a sweets person. :)

Rose — March 9, 2010 @ 7:55 am

That looks delicious!

Jessica — March 9, 2010 @ 8:16 am

These popovers look soo cheesy and sooo amazing. They are actually making my mouth water. They incorporate two of my favorite things… lots of cheesy goodness and bread. I am sooo totally a bread person, especially if it is whole wheat, mutligrain or my mom’s homemade bread. Mmmmm….

Thanks for the recipe! I can’t wait to try this one! :)

Kerry — March 9, 2010 @ 8:19 am

These look delicious – I can’t wait to try them! I am definitely a bread person, and a chocolate person, and a cheese person…is that bad?

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — March 9, 2010 @ 8:19 am

These look so good, and you’re right they’d probably be great with any kind of cheese. I am definitely a BREAD person, I could have it for every meal…

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — March 9, 2010 @ 8:21 am

Gorgonzola is up there with my favorite foods… I had a recipe for a gorgonzola cream sauce I might need to break out soon. I’m an everything person, but most definitely a bread/sweets person!

Kitchen Monki Dan — March 9, 2010 @ 8:25 am

Am I correct in saying these are the American version of Yorkshire Pudding in England? Yum, they look delish…

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — March 9, 2010 @ 8:33 am

i am most DEFINITELY a bread person. and a chocolate person. and an ice cream person. and a cheez-it person.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 9, 2010 @ 8:45 am

I have never been a fan of popovers. I think this stemmed from the fact that they were my brother’s favorite weekend treat growing up and pancakes were (and still are) mine so if we had popovers that meant my brother won!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 9, 2010 @ 8:59 am

bread is definitely my favorite…if i could eat bread products all day long and not gain a pound, i would. bread and cheese…and maybe some beer :) these look amazing…i agree, anyone who doesn’t want to bathe in gorgonzola must be from outer space. hmmm…maybe that’s why Nate’s so strange? (jk :))

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — March 9, 2010 @ 9:07 am

I’m just a carb person in general. Bread, potatoes, rice…love it ALL. Mostly potatoes, of course, so I can drizzle (bathe) them in some ketchup lovin’!

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — March 9, 2010 @ 9:20 am

I am 100% a bread person. Especially if in involves melted cheese! Sign me up for some popvers please!

Mellissa — March 9, 2010 @ 9:35 am

I have always wanted to make popovers but was afraid they wouldn’t turn out because I don’t have a popover pan. Now I know I don’t need one :)

Nicole, RD — March 9, 2010 @ 9:41 am

Cheese > bread. But bread + cheese…la la la!!!!!!!! Heavenly! I’m buying a mini muffin tin to make these! YUM!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 9, 2010 @ 9:50 am

I LOVE gorgonzola!! I can eat it by the handful!

This look spectacular!

pam (pamcakes and eggs) — March 9, 2010 @ 9:53 am

OMG these look amazing! I love gorgonzola. I don’t understand the smelly cheese haters. Anyway, I’m going to bookmark this recipe for my next little party.

Ashley — March 9, 2010 @ 10:03 am

If someone says they are not a bread person…they are lying ;) Those are adoraaaable…I love the mini muffin pan and have definitely eyed up a popover pan + other pans that are only good for 1 type of food..hehe…at least I really use all my kitchen stuff tho! Hmmm herbed goat cheese in these for me please!!!

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — March 9, 2010 @ 10:09 am

Never had a popover in my life. Gorgonzola could be my best friend though!

Therese — March 9, 2010 @ 10:18 am

NOT A BREAD PERSON? We can’t be friends anymore. I want to eat all of those popovers. My husband would be FIGHTING over them :) In fact I might let him grow a mustache if he let me eat them all. Then get mad at him for letting me eat them all. Wow Therese…definite tangent.

Anne — March 9, 2010 @ 10:25 am

I’m a BREAD and CHEESE person :D I wish I had some gorgonzola in my fridge, I would try your recipe immediately! well, tomorrow is a new day!

Megan — March 9, 2010 @ 10:26 am

I loooooove blue cheese! I am definitely a cheese person….and a brownie person. Never turned down either.

Julie — March 9, 2010 @ 10:42 am

I’m a total bread person. I love doughy insides and crusty outsides. mmm, girl!

Christie @ Honoring Health — March 9, 2010 @ 10:54 am

These look great! I haven’t had a popover in ages! I am no longer a bread person since I can’t eat gluten or yeast but really, I don’t miss it much.

Bridget — March 9, 2010 @ 11:17 am

I’m an everything person, but definintely a big cheese person too…mmm cheese! I love popovers! I’ve only made regular ones but these sound amazing, and an oh so perfect party food!

Jenna — March 9, 2010 @ 11:24 am

Oh wow. Thanks for sharing this recipe with us. The photos are making me drool. I am a hard core bread person. Okay, lets broaden that to a carb person. :)

And I love popovers. There is a restaurant in Minneapolis that has the richest popovers served with cinnamon butter. One of the best things EVER!

pen — March 9, 2010 @ 11:24 am

I may have to make these tonight. Or, right now. Yum.

kalli@fitandfortysomething — March 9, 2010 @ 11:28 am

oh gosh those look good. i love gorgonzola cheese.
    i am a bread person though……
    havea good day!

Blond Duck — March 9, 2010 @ 11:37 am

Did he shave the mustache yet?

Everytime I try to make popovers, I fail. It’s so frustrating.

Kacy — March 9, 2010 @ 11:44 am

YUM! I am definitely a bread person. And a cheese person. And a hot sauce person :)

Katrina — March 9, 2010 @ 12:05 pm

You’re lucky to not be a bread person!! I’m a sucker for it. These look delectable!

Cara — March 9, 2010 @ 12:40 pm

These sound wonderful! One of my favorite restaurants in my college town was famous for their fresh popovers, which were served with apple butter. *drool* I bet the apple butter would be a fab compliment to these too- you do love apples + gorgonzola, right?

Kristen @ SimplySavor — March 9, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

omgomgomg i loooove popovers!! literally, i go to this one restaurant just for their popovers and eat about 5 of them (which completely ruins my appetite for dinner) ! and i used to think i hate gorgonzola but now i’m suddenly loving dishes with it in it! i am definitely making these! ah so excited :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 9, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

Yum! I have some gorgonzola left over from my filets with gorgonzola the other night. I’ll have to make these.

Also, about the Williams-Sonoma catalog, I’m so with you! In fact, I celebrate its arrival in the mail… dancing, jumping, clapping… followed by an hour or two of pouring over all of the pictures and adding things to my wish list! :)

homecookedem — March 9, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

Oh I love popovers!! These look amazing!! I love gorgonzola… there’s really not a cheese I don’t like… ;)

Joe @ Eden Kitchen — March 9, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

Oh gosh, I haven’t tried a popover before but I think that’s about to change! Thanks for sharing :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — March 9, 2010 @ 3:04 pm

yum I love the idea of making these in mini muffin pans. these look like they would be great for a party. yum!

LiLu — March 9, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

I may have to take a break from your blog while I’m on my new crazy diet/fitness kick.

I say that with love.

liane — March 9, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

Oh My God.
    I have all those ingredients in my home.
    They are being made tonight.
    I have no reason to make them, except that I just tried to reach through my computer screen and eat one.

Jenny — March 9, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

I’ve never tried popovers either, but I am definitely a stinky cheese person..mmm gorgonzola.

When it comes to bread, I’m quite picky, but if it’s good, I’ll gladly enjoy :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 9, 2010 @ 3:43 pm

I have a friend who would LOVE those – gorgonzola and all. Me, I would use gruyere, because blue cheese and I do not get along :-)

One Healthy Apple — March 9, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

These look amazing! I’m a bread person. Oddly enough, I’m not a pasta or potato or rice person- I prefer to have just plain ole bread!

I am highly unsophisticated and just can’t do the moldy cheese thing ;)

Melissa — March 9, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

I love bread. And cheese. And combine the 2, wow. !!! I’d probably sub in a different cheese cuz Gorgonzola isn’t my #1. But Gruyere would be perfect!

LC @ Let Them Eat Lentils — March 9, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

I took a cooking class as a kid and the first thing we learned how to make were popovers. I made them every week for like a year, LOVED them. So glad you finally got to try em :)

1. Pingback: The procrastination edition (plus cookies!!) « Ramblings about adventures in running, food & other random things…

2. Pingback: Cheese Popovers « Fragole E Farfalle

3. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #82 – Gorgonzola Popovers « Ella Rose Entertaining

4. Pingback: Mini Cinnamon Sugar Popovers | How Sweet It Is