Don’t fret, friends.

I didn’t cheat on my Lenten promise to give up bacon.

Although I’m about THIS.CLOSE.

Especially since I have came up with some incredible bacon recipes in the past week. Since I am not eating it, my mind is on bacon overload.

I made this flatbread pizza a few weeks ago, at the same time when I made the roasted veggie and goat cheese flatbread pizza. If you don’t believe me, ask Caitlin – her pretty, little face ate some with me.

I have been wanting more ever since. I am a true glutton.

The best part was seasoning the dough and slightly baking it before adding the toppings. It’s a tiny bit ‘puffy’ for being a flatbread, but I’m calling it what I want.

It’s my dough and I’ll cry if I want to.

Before I added the chicken and the bacon, I made the most sinful, delicious spinach mix. I whipped cream cheese, fresh, sauteed spinach and garlic, and a tons of parmesan cheese together to create a ‘sauce.’

Mr. How Sweet took one look at the green cream and insisted that ‘that stuff’ better not be going on his pizza. Clearly, this one was his pizza since, heaven forbid, he eat pizza with only vegetables and no meat. We have sharing issues in this house. It’s preparing me for motherhood.

I used some of my good ole’ trickery, and told him that ‘of course it was going on the vegetable pizza’.  (Ha. I knew I had him. He wouldn’t pass up bacon + chicken.)

As usual, I was correct. One bite in, he exclaimed how delicious it was, never even asking about the spinach mixture.

This pizza was incredibly hearty and filling, with a vast array of flavors.

Loaded with grilled chicken, crispy bacon, and lots of bubbly, golden cheese – you just can’t go wrong.

Flatbread Pizza Dough

1 packet active dry yeast

1 1/2 cups warm water

~ 3 cups all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon Italian seasoning

2 tablespoons olive oil

Mix yeast with warm water and allow to get foamy – about 15 minutes. In a large bowl, mix flour (about 2 1/2 cups to start), salt, and seasoning, making sure it is well combined. Once yeast is foamy, add to dough and mix with hand. If more flour is needed, add it. Cover and let rise in a cool, dark place for 2 hours.

Grilled Chicken, Bacon and Spinach Flatbread Pizza

Serves 2-3

6 oz grilled chicken, shredded

6 slices bacon, fried and torn apart

4 cups spinach

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 garlic clove

1/2 block (4 oz) cream cheese

1 cup parmesan cheese

1 cup grated mozzarella cheese

1/2 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375.

Divide pizza dough in half and spread out on a round pan or baking sheet. Bake alone for 15 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Sautee spinach in 1 tablespoon of olive oil, with one minced garlic clove until it is cooked down. While it is still warm, combine it with cream cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese. Mix until thoroughly combined.

Brush dough with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Spread spinach mix on dough. Top with 1/2 cup mozzarella. Add on grilled chicken and bacon. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan, cheddar, and mozzarella cheeses.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.

53 Responses to “Grilled Chicken, Bacon and Spinach Flatbread Pizza.”

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — March 13, 2010 @ 7:38 am

You’re so nice that you let people eat bacon around you. I have been trying to be good about not eating white flour, I almost lost it yesterday when I made cookies for a co-worker and everyone was eating them, telling me how good they were and asking me why I wasn’t having one. I guess we did it because it was hard though, I think I regret giving up shopping the most though! I have to try this flatbread recipe, yum!

Jil — March 13, 2010 @ 8:19 am

This looks phenomenal! Kudos to your willpower for resisting bacon’s charms!!

homecookedem — March 13, 2010 @ 8:19 am

Mr. How Sweet is so lucky! I don’t think I’d be nice enough to make something for Andrew if I couldn’t eat it too!! ;)

Jenny — March 13, 2010 @ 8:29 am

You are a cooking and baking inspiration!

Fit Chick in the City — March 13, 2010 @ 8:32 am

If I was a bacon eater, I totally would have caved! I have no self control around food.

Anne — March 13, 2010 @ 8:38 am

AAAAH! your pizza looooooks awesome. Could you send me a piece? ;)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 13, 2010 @ 8:48 am

My boyfriend glanced at the picture, moaned, and said the following “Please make. Dinner? Breakfast? I want.” You have officially taken away his ability to speak.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — March 13, 2010 @ 8:57 am

My husband’s family is from St. Louis and apparently bacon pizza is a big thing up there. I had honestly never thought to put bacon on pizza. But the hubs convinced me that it definitely belongs there! HA! Looks like a great recipe! Happy Saturday, Jessica!

Erica — March 13, 2010 @ 9:10 am

I love baking my crust a bit before putting all the sauce and toppings on- I need that extra crisp! Husbands are wonderful practice for children ;)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — March 13, 2010 @ 9:20 am

I’m beyond impressed that you avoided that bacon… it looks like it was difficult, and I’m definitely trying this recipe soon!

Low — March 13, 2010 @ 1:22 pm

Wow, very impressive that you resisted.

This time next week we’ll be chilling together. SOOO EXCITED!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 13, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

I gave up bacon 25 yrs ago and have never looked back :) When I was about 8 yrs old seriously is the last time ive had it…you can have my share!

And the pizza looks great, i bet somehow incorporating nooch into the sauces would add just another cheezy yum factor.

Have a great day Jessica!

Jenn (j3nn.net) — March 13, 2010 @ 2:49 pm

:o That looks sooo good! I don’t eat much bacon, but it really is delicious. Bac’n Bits are (vegan) and bacon free if you really get the itch LOL. There’s a “bacon-y” tempeh recipe that I’ve been dying to try for awhile, all this bacon talk is nudging me towards it. :)

Jenn

Shelley — March 13, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

holy yum- every recipe gets better, i swear =)

Lauren @ A Fit Foodie — March 13, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

This looks AMAZING!!! And those banana bites that you posted below are seriously calling my name. A combo of all things that I love. Guess I’ll have to wait until Lent is over to whip those bad boys up!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 13, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

Mmmmm, bacon. Love it.

Sarah.j.s. — March 13, 2010 @ 6:13 pm

*drooools*

Eliana — March 13, 2010 @ 8:39 pm

Awesome looking pizza and so easy to make!

Jenny @ Nourished Kitchen — March 13, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

That looks absolutely amazing. I love the combination of bacon and spinach. yum.

sophia — March 13, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

OMG. What will power you have! I would have snuck some bacon down my shirt or somethind and scarfed it down in the bathroom. Too bad God is always watching. lol.

Christi — March 13, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

oh my. This pizza sounds delicious.
    I could never give up bacon, its just too yummy!

janetha b — March 13, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

i cant keep up with all your mouth-watering recipes!!the last 5 posts of yours just killed me!

Cookin' Canuck — March 13, 2010 @ 10:26 pm

Giving up bacon – that would be a tough one for me. This looks so tempting!

Blond Duck — March 14, 2010 @ 7:09 am

This is like the world’s best pizza. I love it!

Ben made me a bacon cheeseburger last night–Best One I’ve EVER HAD.

Amanda — March 14, 2010 @ 8:00 am

Amazing Jessica!! I think I need to make this ASAP. My family would LOVE it.

Who am I kidding… its all about ME… *I* would love it!@ :)

Shannon O | Confessions of a Loving Wife — March 14, 2010 @ 10:33 am

This looking amazing, I have to try it… cheese and bacon are two of my hubby’s fav things… this recipe would be a homerun in my house.

Thanks Jessica!

Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear — March 14, 2010 @ 10:35 am

I was *finally* starting to get over the separation anxiety I’ve had from this pizza. Dang.

Alex Erynn — March 14, 2010 @ 10:55 am

My mouth is watering already. I really will have to try this recipe. It looks fantastic.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — March 14, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

There’s a reason I eat so much darn pizza—it always sounds incredible and there’s SO many ways you can eat it! Love the spinach-cream cheese combo!

Jenna — March 14, 2010 @ 1:26 pm

Holy foodie heaven. Seriously. This would be right up Mikes (okay, lets not forget my) ally!

Mrs. Jen B — March 14, 2010 @ 1:38 pm

Oh…my…wow. THAT, right there, needs to happen in my life. As soon as possible. Right now, perhaps. Shame I already have dinner planned…I know my husband would flip for this, although I’d have to, uh, hide the spinach during the prep phase.

Kelly — March 14, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

Wow that pizza looks amazing. Isn’t it so annoying that the more you tell yourself you can’t have something the more you want it? haha

Katie — March 14, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

Amazing…I bet Mr. How Sweet was bowing down when you served him this. I don’t know HOW you made that bacon-y goodness and then didn’t eat it. Crazy willpower, girl.

Amber — March 14, 2010 @ 2:52 pm

I’m definitely giving this one a try!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — March 14, 2010 @ 3:57 pm

amazing!!!!! I cannot wait for you cook book ;)

Barbara Bakes — March 14, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

Whatever you want to call it, it looks scrumptious!

Meghan@traveleatlove — March 14, 2010 @ 5:49 pm

That cheesey spinach sauce sounds so deliciously decadent!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — March 14, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

oh COME ON!!!! Why do you do this to me??? :) This look AMAZING! Can’t wait to make it!

The Paris Food Blague — March 15, 2010 @ 5:47 am

delicious as always. so many cupcakes and your hair is so airy. do you have a wind machine in your kitchen?

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — March 15, 2010 @ 5:53 am

mmmmm! I have been on an (alternative) pizza kick lately. And by alternative I mean low carb high protein. Shocking! ;-)

Tracy — March 15, 2010 @ 6:23 am

Mmm this looks amazing. I’d love to try it with leeks instead of spinach too…yum!

ashley — March 15, 2010 @ 7:54 am

oh my goodness. bacon, chicken & spinach?! heaven! i am going to have to try this! yum!!

Sophie @ yumventures — March 15, 2010 @ 7:57 am

Yum! Amazing =)

Bibi — March 15, 2010 @ 11:28 am

That pizza looks to die for. You can’t go wrong with spinach and bacon. My two favorite ingredients.

Nicole, RD — March 15, 2010 @ 12:27 pm

I’ve been looking for a flat bread recipe…score!

PippaPatchwork — March 15, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

Mmm that looks really good! Fortunately I didn’t give up anything for Lent :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 15, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

This looks wonderful! I bet my hubby would love it, too.

frabala — March 16, 2010 @ 1:01 am

Thiisssss tastes goooood…!!!!

Gliding Calm — March 18, 2010 @ 10:10 pm

i might ACTUALLY try to make that dough. your recipe doesn’t look too intimidating, and I have NEVER made anything with yeast (alwayyyyyyys too scared before!)

Beginning Cook — January 21, 2012 @ 2:01 am

Hey! I recently stumbled across your website, and I’ve been looking through your recipes. Let me tell you, they all look amazing…especially this one! I’d really like to try and make this, but I was hoping you could clear something up for me. Your directions say to “Divide pizza dough in half and spread out on a round pan or baking sheet.” I was wondering why you need to divide it in half and what you do with the other half. Does this recipe produce 2 pizzas? Haha it might seem like a silly question, but I’m a college student and just starting this whole thing called cooking. I’ve made pizzas before, and the recipe for the dough I used yielded 2 pizza crusts, which is why I was curious.
    Thanks!