I had to change the title of this dish.

It’s real name is ‘funeral chicken’, but when I told Mr. How Sweet that I was making him funeral chicken for dinner, he asked if I was planning on his funeral.

I would never do that to my wonderful hubby.

Unless he brings one more dyecast car into this home.

Speaking of Mr. How Sweet, he survived the weekend without me.

I prepared some food ahead of time so he wouldn’t starve. Don’t get me wrong, Mr. How Sweet could have whipped up a few disgusting meals himself. But he probably would have called me 17 times an hour asking how to turn on the oven or if he had to refrigerate steak.

My favorite question is ‘but, how do I make. . .stuff?’

Obviously, this dish gets it’s name from it’s purpose – an easy, delicious meal to give to people when they lose a loved one. I think there are many versions of ‘funeral’ chicken.

We had never eaten it for dinner, but I figured we should. It is really tasty, afterall.

It is a simple dish to put together – just some lightly breaded chicken (I used whole wheat) with some mushrooms and cheese.

And for those of you who would rather sleep on a bed of nails than eat mushrooms – substitue something else! According to my dad, mushrooms are a fungus and not a food. I bet it would be great with caramelized onions, or even just the chicken and cheese alone.

Happy Chicken

aka chicken and mushrooms

1-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken tenders

3 eggs, beaten

2 tablespoons fresh parsley

1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs

2 tablespoons Italian seasoning

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup fresh, sliced mushrooms

1 cup chicken stock

1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large freeze bag, combine eggs and fresh parsley. Add chicken and let sit for 1 hour.

Preheat a skillet on medium-high heat and add olive oil. In a bowl, combine bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Dip chicken in bread crumbs, then pan fry until golden. Once finished, place all chicken in a large baking dish.

Cover with mushrooms and pour in chicken stock. Top with cheeses.

Bake for 25-35 minutes.

If you try it with a mushroom substitute, gimme a shout!

I love finding new ways to eat something, because I get bored pretty quickly. And Mr. How Sweet likes variety, but only because I tell him he does.

If it were up to him, he’d eat plain egg whites and chicken all day long. He needs me.

63 Responses to “Happy Chicken.”

Evan Thomas — March 22, 2010 @ 6:56 am

I think your happy chicken sounds more appetizing than funeral chicken, anyway :-)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 22, 2010 @ 7:04 am

Glad your hub survived without you :-) It was great meeting you this weekend!

Nicole @ making good choices — March 22, 2010 @ 7:05 am

I like the name happy chicken! My husband would be the same way except he would eat pb sandwichs for every meal. He may try to eat eggs too. Hope you had fun at fitbloggin! :)

Sophie @ yumventures — March 22, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Great idea marinading the chicken in the eggs, rather than just dipping it! Looks like a great recipe, can’t wait to try it!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 22, 2010 @ 7:24 am

um happy chicken is right! what a delicious dish…i am just adding it to my arsenal of “to make” things for when Lent is over :) hope you had a great time at fitbloggin’!

Jenna — March 22, 2010 @ 7:28 am

This recipe looks killer. I am always looking for ways to spice up plain old chicken. I can’t wait to give it a try. :)

Erica — March 22, 2010 @ 7:52 am

hahaha- glad he survived :) I make Josh big dishes of food before I leave for extended periods of time as well. Who wants to be called 10 times and asked how to turn the oven on???? The chicken dish looks fab girly.

kay (eating machine) — March 22, 2010 @ 7:53 am

“And Mr. How Sweet likes variety, but only because I tell him he does.”

some days, i really wonder if your husband and my fiance are brothers.

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — March 22, 2010 @ 7:55 am

haha survived on cheerios and kettle one…there is NOTHING wrong with that! at least he survived…but I am sure he did miss your cooking!! I saw some pics, looks like you gals had the best time! I wish I could have gone to meet you!

this chicken looks SO good! i love shrooms and chicken together!:)

Nicole, RD — March 22, 2010 @ 8:00 am

Sounds easy and delicious…and we love chicken! Definitely making this!

Biz — March 22, 2010 @ 8:18 am

While I love the taste of mushrooms, its a texture thing with me – and onions want to make me throw up in my mouth a little bit!

I wonder if I subbed zucchini if that would work??

Happy Monday!

genesis — March 22, 2010 @ 8:29 am

i pre-made some food too when I went on my vegas vacay. i was honestly scared that they would starve to death if i left.

i am honestly gonna make this tonight. i have all the ingredients, well except for the fresh mushrooms but the canned ones will work.

MelissaNibbles — March 22, 2010 @ 8:30 am

I’m glad Mr. Sweet survived the weekend.
    This recipe sounds yummy. I love shroomies!

janetha — March 22, 2010 @ 8:32 am

oh YUM! i wish the boy liked mushrooms. i LOVE them so i may just have to make this for myself one night :) glad the mister survived!

Mellissa — March 22, 2010 @ 8:46 am

I must try this, we usually have everything on hand to make this.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 22, 2010 @ 9:01 am

My grandpa used to make funeral chicken all the time and I’ve never liked the name! Happy chicken is much better :)

Kate @ Cozydelicious — March 22, 2010 @ 9:06 am

Haha, I’m glad you changed the name!

I actually make a similar dish with sauteed leeks on top. Really yummy! I’m going to have to try it with mushrooms, though (although the mister does not do mushrooms so I might have to eat it all myself!)

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — March 22, 2010 @ 9:22 am

My hubby would eat eggs for every meal as well!

This looks really good, we love mushrooms!

Blond Duck — March 22, 2010 @ 10:04 am

I wonder if artichokes and spinach would work…maybe some tomatoes…I can’t use mushrooms because Ben’s allergic!

One Healthy Apple — March 22, 2010 @ 10:26 am

I love that you renamed this to happy chicken! Sounds like Mr How Sweet survived. My hubby doesn’t cook either, but defrosts shrimp and is good as long as there is cheese, olives, hummus, and chips when I’m gone!

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — March 22, 2010 @ 10:48 am

I would choose mushrooms over a bed of nails any day! I’m pretty sure I laugh out loud every time I read your posts :)

raina @ The Garden of Yum — March 22, 2010 @ 11:04 am

That looks great! Thanks for the recipe. At least I know what I am cooking for dinner one night. I have never seen whole wheat breadcrumbs..great idea..I hope my supermarket sells them. Definitely like you name for the chicken better.

Whit — March 22, 2010 @ 11:14 am

‘ello gorgeous! Had a blast meeting you this weekend. If I come to Pittsburgh will you make me Happy Chicken? I don’t want funeral chicken either.

Cate O'Malley — March 22, 2010 @ 11:28 am

Happy Chicken totally looks like something I could get my kids to eat – printing now.

PippaPatchwork — March 22, 2010 @ 11:57 am

Haha, I SO know where you’re coming from! I went out the other night and got a call from my boyfriend asking me how to make microwavable Kraft Mac and Cheese. Ah, men…

Jess — March 22, 2010 @ 12:47 pm

If left to his own vices my husband would live on nothing but Oatmeal Dark Chocolate Chunk Kashi Cookies & diet Mt. Dew. They need us : )

That chicken looks yummy!

Therese — March 22, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

One of my favorite meals of my mom’s is something similar to this. I think she called it “Chicken a la Swiss”. It has a base of chicken, onion, cream of mushroom soup, topped with swiss cheese and stovetop stuffing. OMG it’s soooo good…and probably really bad for you….

homecookedem — March 22, 2010 @ 12:55 pm

Glad to hear that Mr. How Sweet survived! I wish I could say Andrew needed me, but the truth is I need him, haha!! ;)

The Candid RD — March 22, 2010 @ 1:34 pm

Hey, I love egg whites. If I wasn’t an RD with a food blog, I’d probably eat egg whites all day too..haha…maybe not.

Nice job getting some veggies in there! Mushrooms are my favorite, especially as a compliment to chicken. Perfect. Great recipe.

Low — March 22, 2010 @ 1:41 pm

Mushrooms are fungus. It’s true. But I like the sound of happy chicken. And that Mr. HS didn’t die.

Katie — March 22, 2010 @ 2:11 pm

I love your name change! I’ve had funeral chicken before…after my grandpa’s funeral, actually – but your version (and name) sound much better.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — March 22, 2010 @ 2:18 pm

Oh this looks fabulous and EASY!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — March 22, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

Oh YUM!! I loooove mushrooms!!! Fungus is yummy :)

Gabriela (froyolover) — March 22, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

YUM!
    That was definetely a “Happy Chicken” recipe… Haha!
    :D
    Have a terrific week, girl!
    Brazilian XOXO´s,
    Gabriela

Jenny — March 22, 2010 @ 6:42 pm

Cheese, chicken, mushrooms–you’re speaking my language!! This sounds yummy :)

haha and you and Mr. How Sweet always crack me up, I enjoy reading y’all’s banter

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 22, 2010 @ 6:47 pm

I have missed you…all you lucky girls who went to fit bloggin…girl. I actually cried when I read some of the lady’s posts who had attended b/c I so badly wished I could have been me. Happy for all of you but so wishing i coulda gone, too :)

Saw the pic of you and the Pure Girls. OMG youre gorgeous, Jessica!

And this:He may have survived on Cheerios and a fifth of Ketel One, but at least he survived.
    I kid you not, that was my entire life from ages 18-25. And then some. I could swap out the cheerios (whole grain) with triscuits. Kettle could be swapped for Jose or others. It was quite a life :) Anyway glad you’re back!!!!!!

marla {family fresh cooking} — March 22, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

Mr. Sweet does need you girl, BAD!!! Come to think of it, I could use your fab cooking skills around here too!

“Cheerios and a fifth of Ketel One!” Scarryyyy….yes, it’s a great thing you are home.

This chicken looks awesome! What’s for dessert?

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 22, 2010 @ 7:13 pm

I am totally baffled by how people don’t eat mushrooms!!! They are one of my most favourite things!!

I think I would really like this dish!! I am bookmarking this one!!!

Brittany — March 22, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

You crack me up lady. I’m glad Mr. Sweet survived the weekend without you. My man survived as well – but instead of Kettle One his drink of choice was Long Island Iced Teas. :)

PS I think Happy Chicken is a better name.

kate — March 22, 2010 @ 7:46 pm

I love how funeral chicken turned into happy chicken!

Shannon @ bakeandbloom.com — March 22, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

Jess I nearly fell off my chair laughing about the model cars! My boyfriend has a tonne of them also, nascars, v8 supercars, formula 1 cars. Every time he says he is buying another one I die a little inside.

Yummy looking chicken :)

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) — March 22, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

Kettle One Cheerios = Breakfast of Champions

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — March 23, 2010 @ 4:19 am

Mr. GF is the same way! He would survive off of his college diet if not for me. = Rice Chex, Arizona Sweetened Green Tea, corn chips, and salsa.
    sigh… men! Gotta love ‘em!

Fit Chick in the City — March 23, 2010 @ 4:44 am

Men and their eating habits are so bizarre. I swear if it weren’t for me my husband would still be eating ribs and french fries for dinner 4 times a week.

Barbara Bakes — March 23, 2010 @ 5:39 am

It does look like an easy and delicious meal. How about using artichoke hearts instead of mushrooms.

Amanda — March 23, 2010 @ 6:02 am

Yeah, I am on of ‘those’ non mushroom eaters. Just the smell! Ugh! Glad your hubby survived without you… and hope to read lots more about your trip!!

megan — March 23, 2010 @ 6:02 am

This looks pretty tasty, But funny name! How about subbing asparagus?

katie — March 23, 2010 @ 11:40 am

BEST WAY TO EAT VEGGIES, EVER!

Valen — March 23, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

Ah, I feel sorry for the people who don’t like veggies, because they are so gosh darn good for you! I’m glad you liked the cauliflower, I love all vegetables and the one thing I don’t like is roasted cauliflower. Love it any other way though. I bet its to die for with that dip of yours!

raina @ The Garden of Yum — March 23, 2010 @ 7:34 pm

I made this last night. It was very good. The provolone really gives it a nice flavor. Thank you.

1. Pingback: Kitchen Adventure: Italian Chicken «

2. Pingback: five. « meals & moves

3. Pingback: New Movie Night « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices

4. Pingback: The Ketchup Diaries » Blog Archive » Chicken with Mushrooms and Caramelized Onions