Growing up, my mom always made marble cake.

I barely remember her making it, but I do remember eating it.

I really remember eating it when I look back at my chubby elementary school pictures. Especially the one where I wore a purple silk top under a paisley purple vest. Yes, I think vests were cool then, but they weren’t the kind of vests that are cool now.

And I’m still not cool enough to wear one of those cool vests today. Not to mention that I would blind everyone within 4 miles because of my pasty, translucent skin.

Around that same time, I also got a perm and overheard my mom tell someone I looked like Roseanne Barr with that hair. I was more mad at the time that I wasn’t even allowed to watch Roseanne. Who cared if my hair resembled hers? So what if it looked like I stuck my hand in an electric outlet? I just wanted to watch the trashy TV shows that I wasn’t supposed to watch.

I’m probably better off.

And I’m too much of a boring, old granny to watch shows like that these days. I’d rather lose brain cells on trashy reality TV. Because, you know, it’s. . . real.

Back to my marbled dessert.

Have you ever been flipping through the pages of a book and have a picture just jump out at you? It happens to me often, especially since I tend to ‘read’ books with large pictures and minimal print. I’m trying to expand my horizons.

Martha’s marble cupcakes were begging me to bake them, so I made them in mini cupcake form.

Because if they are mini, then you can eat more. Like, 6 more. Or 10. Whatever floats your boat.

The chocolate swirl is so fudgy.

I don’t love cake. I like it, but I don’t love it.

However, I find myself lusting after these cupcakes. Creamy vanilla cake and fudgy chocolate cake in one? Sign me up.

In fact, sign me up for about 16 batches, because that is how badly I want to eat them. Plus, I do everything in excess. Or so my dad, husband, brother and. . . basically every male in my life says.

You can’t resist this swirl.

The batter was enough to make me swoon.

I frosted a few with some basic buttercream frosting, and topped some others with a light dusting of powdered sugar. It was a race to first place, but the powdered sugar ones stole my heart.

The marble swirl seemed to be a mixture of fluffy cake and thick brownie – that is how fudge-like the chocolate portion is.

This cupcake is begging you to bake it.  You won’t regret it.

Mini Marble Cupcakes

from Martha Stewart

1 1/4 cups cake flour, sifted

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup milk

1/3 cup heavy cream

1 stick butter, softened

1 cup sugar

3 large eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1/4 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin tins with paper liners.

Sift together flour, salt and baking power. Combine milk and cream.

In an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated. Beat in vanilla. Add in flour mixture in 3 bathes, alternating with two additions of milk/cream mixture and beating until combined.

For chocolate batter, measure out 1 cup batter, and transfer to another bowl. Combine cocoa and boiling water into the bowl. Stir into 1 cup of reserved batter.

Fill cupcake tins with alternating spoonfuls of vanilla and chocolate batter, filling each 3/4 full. Run the tip of a knife through the batter in figure eight motions to make swirls. (I used a toothpick.)

Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool completely.

When finished, dust with powdered sugar or top with frosting.

And. . . I’m off to fitbloggin‘!

Say a prayer for Mr. How Sweet. Let’s hope he survives the weekend alone.

He’s thinking of hangin’ out with Tiger, Charlie Sheen, and Jesse James. That is probably the best way to stay out of trouble.

74 Responses to “Mini Marble Cupcakes.”

Erica — March 19, 2010 @ 4:33 am

YUM! I like how good they look with the powdered sugar on top.

What was going on with fashion when we were kids? My favorite outfit- stretch pants, and oversized sweater, scrunchy socks & black sneacks. Ummmm really? Who thought this was a good idea

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 19, 2010 @ 4:36 am

Ummmm, I totally was a chubby kid who wore vests too. And I BEGGED my mom for a perm, but she wouldn’t let me get one. Looking back, that was a wise decision on her part.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 19, 2010 @ 4:44 am

I love some swirl cake too!!! I think it is because you don’t have to choose between chocolate and vanilla! Have fun this weekend and hopefully the MR. will behave while you are gone!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — March 19, 2010 @ 4:46 am

Unfortunately, I didn’t need a perm and had fro anyways. A dragonfly tried to make a nest in a my hair once (no, I’m not kidding). Anyway, I’m doing much better now (pest free) once I discovered styling products. ;)

Those minicupcakes look amazing! The batter actually looks really good to eat as well!

Duchess of Fork — March 19, 2010 @ 4:56 am

I love how you post about cupcakes on the day you leave for Fitbloggin! It’s all about balance, right, girl? :) Have tons of fun and take lots of good notes!!

Evan Thomas — March 19, 2010 @ 5:25 am

A+ on the presentation!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — March 19, 2010 @ 5:40 am

You crack me up, girl. The one-liners you come up with kill me! So witty and so funny! :)

Nicole — March 19, 2010 @ 5:47 am

Those look delicious!

I can’t wait to hear about fit bloggin’!

Lindsay@The Ketchup Diaries — March 19, 2010 @ 5:52 am

Oh, girl! Remember that convo we had about best dessert for a crowd? This might be it! Who wouldn`t LOVE these? Have so much fun at Fitbloggin! Wish I was there too. Take down some tips for the rest of us!!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 19, 2010 @ 5:54 am

Yum! These look incredible!

I’m loving the paisley vest ;)

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — March 19, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Ooh, I love marble cake! These mini cupcakes are adorable, but probably very difficult to only eat one or two. Have fun at Fitbloggin! I wish I was going too. ;)

Katrina — March 19, 2010 @ 6:26 am

I love these!! They’re so decorative. Absolutely beautiful!

Sophie @ yumventures — March 19, 2010 @ 6:37 am

Mmm these look amazing! How many mini cupcakes did it make? I usually cut recipes down so my boyfriend and I don’t plow through the entire 8 servings a dessert normally makes :)

Jordan — March 19, 2010 @ 7:02 am

I’m hypnotized by the swirls!
    Safe trip to BMore! Hope to meet you at fitbloggin! :-D

Kerry — March 19, 2010 @ 7:07 am

These sound delicious! I love mini desserts for the same reason – you get to eat more of them!! Have a great time at Fitbloggin!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — March 19, 2010 @ 7:07 am

i am not a HUGE fan of cake either, but i cant resist looking and trying these!!!!

omg omg I want some right now!!

Low — March 19, 2010 @ 7:24 am

See you soon!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 19, 2010 @ 7:27 am

I’m pretty sure I was a chubby kid who rocked a jumper in my 2nd grade year book picture. Awesome.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 19, 2010 @ 8:23 am

girl, i was totally the chubby kid too…but i don’t really remember and marble cake… :)

hope you have a blast at fitbloggin! i made your cherry chocolate cookies into bars with fudge icing and am now wishing i didn’t let my husband take them to work with him…

Midgetkeeper — March 19, 2010 @ 8:35 am

Those look amazing! I might just have to make a batch this weekend.

Janna (Just Flourishing) — March 19, 2010 @ 9:30 am

Oh my, those look so decadent! I made cupcakes last weekend with chocolately frosting and they were SO good!!!

Have a great time at fitbloggin’!

Tracy — March 19, 2010 @ 9:42 am

These look amazing. I also have serious problems resisting anything “mini.” ;-)

janetha — March 19, 2010 @ 9:48 am

haha. i wasnt allowed to watch roseanne either. those are adorable!

Tracey — March 19, 2010 @ 10:16 am

My mom made marble cake for every birthday. However, her cake came from a box and I still loved it!

I also wanted to let you know, this weekend I’m going to attempt to make one of your recipe’s. It’s the brownie with coffee frosting, not sure what you called it but it’s been on my mind for too long. It needs to be in my belly! I’ll let you know how they turn out.

Sarah.j.s. — March 19, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

You are being SO mean! Every time I come here you’ve posted something that I would absolutely LOVE to sink my teeth into.

raina @ The Garden of Yum — March 19, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

Those look so yummy!! Nice job, very pretty too!

eatingRD — March 19, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

oh yum! I love the little goodness that cupcakes bring. I’ll eat cake any day! Have fun at fitbloggin’ so jealous! :)

homecookedem — March 19, 2010 @ 1:31 pm

Those are so pretty!! I love cupcakes!! :)

So jealous of all you fitbloggers!! Have a wonderful time!! :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — March 19, 2010 @ 1:57 pm

Have a great time at Fitbloggin’! I wish I could go! I love your cakes and I was laughing so hard at the vest comment. My 5th grade picture is me in a vest, why were they SO cool then??? haha

Blond Duck — March 19, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

I am all about excess, darling. That’s why I’m having waffles for dinner. With a whole bottle of syrup.

Jolene ( — March 19, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

Those are really pretty!!!!!

Katie — March 19, 2010 @ 4:14 pm

Coming from someone who DOES love cake…these look perfect.

april — March 19, 2010 @ 5:41 pm

Those are so cute! I’ve never been good at making marble desserts!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 19, 2010 @ 8:03 pm

It happens to me often, especially since I tend to ‘read’ books with large pictures and minimal print. I’m trying to expand my horizons. = LOL and i hear ya. I read books that the entire book is about the letter A. Apples, ants, etc.

Those look perfect btw. The vanilla looks like so custardy and perfect. MMMmmmm.

fitbloggin. I wish i was going. Have a ball!!!!!!!

Jenn ( — March 19, 2010 @ 8:51 pm

These look soooo good! I’ve never made marble cake before, but now I’m inspired. But why stop at just two colors? I just bought these fancy shmancy vegetable concentrate food coloring that I can see myself making a mess with. :D

Annie@stronghealthyfit — March 19, 2010 @ 9:03 pm

Cute cupcakes! I’m the same way, I like cake but I don’t love it. I think I like making it more than I like eating it. :-0

Mandiee — March 19, 2010 @ 9:44 pm

ah, there is just something about marbled desserts. i think it is the amazement i seem to get from how beautiful they are. your cupcakes are no exception to this :).

have a lovely day!

Cheryl — March 19, 2010 @ 10:02 pm

Another hilarious post! Love the recipe too;) Oh the vests…thought we were so cool. I also “had” to have a blazer to be cool, and one of those hats like Lisa Turtle used to wear…eek! Enjoy this weekend away, and yeah, seems your husband picked some wonderful people to hang out with;) You don’t buy any chance watch 30 Rock do you? This week was hilarious and w/out saying it, a lot of funny jokes about Tiger;)

The Candid RD — March 20, 2010 @ 4:28 am

Ok, I have to admit I LAUGHED when you said your mom said you looked like Rosanne Barr. Ouch, that’s pretty darn harsh. AND I remember those vests, very well…..and suspenders, and purms, and straps on the pants….yikes.

Great recipe. As always, these looks too pretty to eat. But I would anyway!

Biz — March 20, 2010 @ 8:16 am

Hope you have fun! My brother Charlie is one of the speakers – so wish I could be there!!

Lauren @ A Fit Foodie — March 20, 2010 @ 9:07 am

Those look insane. And just the right serving size for moderation.

gaga — March 20, 2010 @ 9:25 am

How beautiful. I love all marbled baked goods, they just seem a bit more “special” :)

marla {family fresh cooking} — March 20, 2010 @ 11:12 am

I love everything cake and frosting so these cupcakes are not a hard sell over here :) My daily goal is everything in moderation. The reality is I am a gal who loves excess!

Mae — March 20, 2010 @ 4:53 pm

I love the ones with powdered sugar. They’re so cute!

Jessica @ Fit and Clean — March 20, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

The cupcakes looked PERFECT! Wow. I got a perm when I was 19. My Mom called and got my money back, and then had to take me to a hairdresser to chop off all of my hair, because it was so damaged and the girl that did it obviously didn’t know what she was doing. NEVER again. Not to mention, I don’t know what I was thinking, because I have naturally curly hair. REALLY curly. Now I straighten it, LOL. At least it’s not an over-processed, frizzy mess anymore!

sophia — March 20, 2010 @ 8:08 pm

I didn’t know you were going to fitbloggin’! Have fun, Jessica!
    And I hope you take some of those cupcakes with you…you’ll win tons of friends for sure! ;-)

By the way, who are you kidding?! Pasty skin? Um, no way. The picture I see of you shows some pretty model-esque beautiful skin!

Comfy Cook — March 20, 2010 @ 10:54 pm

It is amazing how the swirl makes all the difference in the look of the cupcake. So pretty….

Sarah, Maison Cupcake — March 21, 2010 @ 1:33 am

These are so cute. They look light enough to eat six!

julie — March 21, 2010 @ 7:06 am

oh girl, I had a terrible perm too and wasn’t allowed to watch Roseanne. What tragic childhoods we had!

zestycook — March 21, 2010 @ 7:50 am