We never have pancakes or waffles during the week.

Mostly, this is because it takes Mr. How Sweet quite a while to get moving in the morning. Watching him dodge corners and laundry baskets on the floor while in his sleep stupor is sometimes the highlight of my day. Trust me, it is really funny.

The best time was one morning after we were recently married – we had just bought a cast iron skillet the day before, and he kicked it, then tripped over it at 5am. Well, I thought that was one of the best times. I’m still giggling as I think of it. He is still clutching his foot in pain.

Mr. How Sweet is long gone by the time I eat breakfast, and instead of whipping up a batch of pancakes or waffles, I usually choose to watch trashy TV or browse the internet.

Because, you know, so much happened in those 8 hours that I was sleeping. I need to catch up.

I decided to make a batch of waffles and freeze them, so that I could break them out in the morning like I’ve heard of so many people doing.

I wanted to make sure the waffles were 100% whole wheat – I like to start my morning out on the right foot!

In the midst of making these, I figured they would be a great snack as well.

Many times, I just can’t finish an entire serving of carb-rich foods. Unless, of course, we are talking about macaroni and cheese.

I ate some for dinner, then cut them into four’s and froze the rest.

Love these!

I used only whole wheat flour, plus some wheat germ and flaxseed. The waffles had such a nutty flavor.

They were also very dense and filling, and I love that about a meal.

Peanut butter and banana is usually my combo of choice, but next time I am going to try topping them with bacon and eggs.

Speaking of bacon, Lent is almost over and my best buddy, bacon, can come back into my life.

I may eat my weight in bacon next week.

Multigrain Waffles

1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.

Whisk whole-wheat flour, flaxseed, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.

Stir eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla into the oat mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.

Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat. Spoon in enough batter to cover three-fourths of the surface (about 2/3 cup for an 8-by-8-inch waffle iron). Cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.

Mr. How Sweet hasn’t seen these waffles yet. Think I should share?

Become a Fan of How Sweet It Is on Facebook!

79 Responses to “Multigrain Waffles.”

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 31, 2010 @ 6:03 am

Yummm! Thanks for sharing! I’m a big waffle fan, but we don’t have an iron, so I just have to eat them at restaurants now :-(

Enjoy your return to bacon!

Katie — March 31, 2010 @ 6:08 am

I was cracking up when I read the story of your husband in the morning. Mine gets up at 3:30am for work and it’s a very similar scene in our house. You can tell he’s not really awake, but he’s up and going. Not real pretty most mornings. :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 31, 2010 @ 6:11 am

These look incredible! I LOVE the PB drizzle on top!

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — March 31, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Yum! I do the same…make a big batch of pancakes or waffles and then freeze the rest so we can eat during the week:)

Jessica — March 31, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Oh Yum! Yum! Yum! I have been looking for a really good whole wheat/mutligrain waffle recipe. I am definitely going to try this! I CAN’T WAIT! They look sooooooo good!!!! Thanks so much for the recipe!!!

Jenny — March 31, 2010 @ 6:16 am

Definitely share!! these sound yummy, and I love that you topped them with PB+banana–regular old syrup is just overrated I think ;)

haha I love what you said about sooo much happening in those 8hours since we slept, it’s amazing how much news and blog reading I have to do in the morning, it’s important stuff!

Erica — March 31, 2010 @ 6:21 am

Wow- these are gorgeous- especially with those fun toppings. I have been putting more effort into our breakfasts lately- its such a great way to start the day ;)

Kacie @ Nonexistent Colors — March 31, 2010 @ 6:30 am

These look AMAZING!!!! I love PB and Banana’s on just about anything!!

Christine @ Grub, Sweat and Cheers — March 31, 2010 @ 6:32 am

Bacon and egg would be great on that…with maple syrup on the side. There’s something about the bacon/maple syrup combo that hits all my happy buttons.

Mary — March 31, 2010 @ 6:39 am

Those look super delicious. I usually put peanut butter and banana on top of Nutri-Grain Eggo’s (when I can find them), and they’re pretty good, but I might have to get myself a waffle-maker!

brandi — March 31, 2010 @ 6:39 am

I haven’t made waffles in a while, but the last time I made them, we used this Eating Well recipe to make Brown Sugar Bacon Waffles. Holy crap. :)

• Jessica — March 31st, 2010 @ 6:42 am

Ahhh! I think I have seen a recipe for that on Joy the Baker. Must get my hands on it!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — March 31, 2010 @ 6:43 am

waffle wednesday!! YUMMM these look RIDIC and so easy to make!!! loooove them jess and you :)

Gena — March 31, 2010 @ 6:58 am

Yum! Love the whole grain twist, and caramel is an inspired idea.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 31, 2010 @ 7:13 am

If I look at these pictures for about 10 seconds longer I am going to grab my keys and go get a waffle iron!

• Jessica — March 31st, 2010 @ 7:15 am

For all of you wanting a waffle iron – I got one super-cheap (I think at Bed, Bath and Beyond or Macy’s) for under $20! Totally worth it! :)

Caitlin — March 31, 2010 @ 7:24 am

OK, how in the world did you get that peanut butter to drizzle like that?? I need a Cooking With Jessica 101 crash course because clearly, the only kind of waffles I eat are the ones that come in a bright yellow box labeled “Eggo.”

• Jessica — March 31st, 2010 @ 7:27 am

Melt it first! :)

Maria — March 31, 2010 @ 7:41 am

I will have to whip these up on a weekend!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 31, 2010 @ 7:42 am

holy YUM! can’t wait to try these this weekend :) i may eat my weight in bacon right along with you; I can’t wait to eat meat again!

Sophie @ yumventures — March 31, 2010 @ 7:49 am

These look healthy AND delicious! Plus pb and banana? Such a match made in heaven!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — March 31, 2010 @ 8:11 am

I love waffles and pancakes, but I normally do them for dinner on the weekdays. I am an oatmeal girl through and through, so I love making crazy waffles and pancakes at night! Those look delicious! I love freezing leftovers for the kids on weekday mornings!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — March 31, 2010 @ 8:13 am

Question: Do you toast the wheat germ yourself or buy it toasted?

• Jessica — March 31st, 2010 @ 8:27 am

Good question! I actually didn’t toast mine, and I just used regular wheat germ, but I think you can buy it toasted..?

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — March 31, 2010 @ 8:15 am

I never thought to melt the PB so I could drizzle it on top of things. Brilliant!!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — March 31, 2010 @ 8:59 am

mmm….waffles…. I’ve never made them!

Aron — March 31, 2010 @ 9:00 am

Sounds good! I love Bob’s Red Mill flour for making whole wheat bread products; because it is so finally ground, it performs like white flour.

• Jessica — March 31st, 2010 @ 9:03 am

I also love Bob’s Red Mill products!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie — March 31, 2010 @ 9:10 am

It seems like I can’t stop making waffles lately. Those sound incredible – I may just have to give them a whirl. Love the toppings too. Hmm, I’m not sure if I would share :)

Noelle@Opera Singer in Kitchen — March 31, 2010 @ 9:22 am

Yay for waffle recipe from Eating Well. I like that magazine! I would like to dig into that picture! :)

Kacy — March 31, 2010 @ 9:26 am

Yum! I need a waffle iron stat.

Midgetkeeper — March 31, 2010 @ 9:46 am

Will have to try your recipe. I make waffles once every couple of weeks for a quick breakfast for the kids.

MelissaNibbles — March 31, 2010 @ 10:05 am

Those look great. I haven’t had waffles in a coon’s age!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — March 31, 2010 @ 10:17 am

I officially have GOT to get a waffle maker…seriously!!! :)

Jill — March 31, 2010 @ 10:20 am

These look yummy!! My husband doesn’t like waffles, so I’ll be making these this weekend all for ME!!

Bacon is a MUST…have you ever had chocolate baccon? It’s soooo good! It’s a chocolate bar with pieces of bacon in it.

• Jessica — March 31st, 2010 @ 10:22 am

YES!!! I looooove it. :)

Blond Duck — March 31, 2010 @ 10:55 am

As a waffle addict, I am in love. I never thought of PB and bananas as a topping. I must try it! Is the flaxseed super neccessary? And how many waffles per batch–like 8 waffles, four waffles….

• Jessica — March 31st, 2010 @ 10:57 am

About 2 waffles each for 8 people though it depends on how thick you make them!

The original recipe didn’t call for the flax, I added it myself. I love the flavor, but I am sure that they are delicious without it!

Jil — March 31, 2010 @ 11:05 am

They’re beautiful! and look delicious.

janetha — March 31, 2010 @ 11:26 am

what an appropriate post for waffle wednesday :) those waffles you made look simply fabulous!! i love freezing waffles and toasting them later. way better than an eggo! xoxo

Katrina — March 31, 2010 @ 11:48 am

This recipe looks healthy and delicious! It’s officially bookmarked :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — March 31, 2010 @ 11:57 am

YUM! I am SO making these!!! I love the fact that there is barely any oil in them, many recipes for waffles I have seen call for like 1/2 a stick of butter. I mean, i’m all about butter goodness but there’s a thing called moderation…

Cascia @ Healthy Moms — March 31, 2010 @ 12:29 pm

That looks so good! I always make sure to include whole grains in my diet. I might have to try this recipe. Have a wonderful day!

homecookedem — March 31, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

I LOVE your presentation!! So pretty with the PB all drizzled like that. I need to try that!! :) Waffles are so good, I need a waffle iron though! ;)

megan — March 31, 2010 @ 1:28 pm

I’m making these as soon as possible! We love waffles and eat them for dinner quite frequently. i love the pb/banana idea too. although i love syrup, so i might have to eat half with syrup, half with pb&banana…i can’t go completely healthy :)

caitlin — March 31, 2010 @ 1:51 pm

love me some waffles!

Katie — March 31, 2010 @ 3:39 pm

Oh my word, waffles/pancakes (I love both equally) are my very favorite breakfast. Freezing them is A MUST at our house, then I just pop then in the toaster. Yours look frekin’ fantastic with that PB drizzle. After reading this post, I think I’m going with waffles next time…

Nastassia (Let Me Eat Cake) — March 31, 2010 @ 4:03 pm

Omg yum! I love the idea of freezing waffles, I mean I already freeze banana bread and muffins why haven’t I tried waffles. Whole wheat with bananas sound perfect to start the morning. I love it.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — March 31, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

I love having breakfast for dinner and we usually do it once a week. I need to get a waffle maker but I think it would turn into a lot of waffles with ice cream which sounds like a great idea to me! These look so good, especially with the pb drizzled over it!

Sues — March 31, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

That’s such a good idea to have frozen waffles that aren’t actually frozen!! And with a peanut butter and banana topping, that’s basically heaven :)

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — March 31, 2010 @ 5:46 pm

Great recipe! I especially love the fact that these can be frozen. I was actually just writing out a grocery list today, and one of the things I wrote was “frozen Kashi waffles” (’cause I’m lazy like that :P). But I may just have to whip up a home-made batch instead. Question – do you think anything could be substituted for the buttermilk?

Cheryl — March 31, 2010 @ 5:53 pm

Don’t share em – he’ll expect you to get up at 5am to make them!

Ashley — March 31, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

GAH! This looks SO fluffy + delicious…pnut butter drizzle!!! yummmmm

Pure2raw twins — March 31, 2010 @ 6:58 pm

Waffles look to good to be multi-grain, haha! Great recipe, my dad would love this!!! Waffles our his favorite.

Yum Yucky — March 31, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

this recipe just sh!t on that package of Eggos I have in the freezer.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 31, 2010 @ 7:53 pm

Oh the ever skinny drizzle of PB looks professional. Let me guess, you actually keep your PB in a squirt bottle the kind that chef’s use for sauces when they are plating food in a restaurant?! Or you maybe are just really skilled with a thin drizzle. My style is more, ker-plunk. Blob.

The quote your dad gave you when going off to college, you don’t have to go/attend, but you can always come back. For some reason i started crying when i read that. If only i had grown up with that much love and open arms from my parents. We are trying to raise skylar like that. Hallmark tears right now… :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 31, 2010 @ 7:56 pm

Lovely waffles! I have been thinking about making waffles for my hubby and freezing them for a while. This may have been the inspiration I needed!

1. Pingback: see ya next year, march. « meals & moves