There is not a better combination out there than banana + peanut butter.

Well, maybe peanut butter + chocolate or chocolate + sea salt. But banana + peanut butter is a combo that allows me to fit into my pants the next day.

When my dad was younger, he and my grandfather used to eat peanut butter + pickle sandwiches.

Yeah . . . that’s a bit much for me.

The furthest I go is chocolate + bacon.

Gosh, I can’t wait until Lent is over.

These muffins came out super moist and dense, just like banana bread, and the peanut butter chips melted slightly.

Each bite had a giant chunk of peanut butter inside. Talk about satisfying!

These were basically my dream muffins.

I considered slathering each muffin with a bit more peanut butter when it was warm, but decided the ratio of banana to peanut butter was perfect already.

Instead, I spread some organic butter on it and let it melt. Best decision I made all weekend.

Peanut Butter Banana Bread Muffins

adapted from allrecipes

makes 12-15 muffins

1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup peanut butter morsel

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin cups in muffin tins

Mix sugar, applesauce, and egg until creamy and light yellow. Add bananas and vanilla. Add flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir until completely smooth. Fold in peanut butter chips. Spoon the batter into the muffin tins.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until toothpick poked in center muffin comes out clean.

Mr. How Sweet doesn’t like banana bread. I know, seriously, what planet did he come from?

Sometimes I wish I could send him back there – maybe his fellow aliens all have moustache’s, too.

Speaking of moustache’s, Mr. How Sweet came home Friday and tried to bribe me with some Godiva truffles.

The truffles were delicious, but they didn’t provide the beer goggles that I need to smooch Mr. How Sweet when he has a moustache.

I may provide you with a picture of the crustache in the near future. I never thought the darn thing would last more than a week. I really thought Mr. How Sweet would shave before he starved.

Plus, I usually get my way. But he is stubborn.

So what is your verdict? Think he’s still sportin’ the crustache?

71 Responses to “Peanut Butter Banana Bread Muffins.”

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 8, 2010 @ 7:09 am

Yeah, I think he is. Guys have a thing about growing manly hair! Those muffins sound delicious! My mother and grandfather used to eat peanut butter, mayonnaise and banana sandwiches. Ugh, the smell would just gross me out!

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — March 8, 2010 @ 7:14 am

The combo of peanut butter and bananas is truly a wonderful thing!

@Sarena, that is almost my favorite sandwich… except, I substitute Miracle Whip for the mayo. It makes a HUGE difference, and is awesome. I don’t like it with mayo, but the sweet, tanginess of the Miracle Whip just really completes the taste.

• Jessica — March 8th, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Seth! I’m gagging over here…lol.

Erica — March 8, 2010 @ 7:16 am

YUM! Agree- pb and nana is a jammin combo! Sooo I have a strange love for PB and pickles. I haven’t tried them COMPLETELY together yet, but I often eat peanut butter and then have a pickle right after. I’m not sure what it is- but I love it!

Ashley — March 8, 2010 @ 7:17 am

i <3 pnut buttteerrrrrr….mmmMMMmmmMm Now if only I could get my bananas to rippen fast enough!!! Lovely as always.

Christie @ Honoring Health — March 8, 2010 @ 7:28 am

I used to eat PB, mayo and bananas sandwiches also! The mayo had to be (and still has to be) Duke’s, though!

ClassiclyAmber — March 8, 2010 @ 7:30 am

These look delish~!

Amanda — March 8, 2010 @ 7:54 am

You are AMAZING! I it like you know exactly what I love and then make the most decadent and beautiful version of it possible! Well done girl!

Jess — March 8, 2010 @ 8:00 am

I love anything with banana & peanutbutter, I put it in my oatmeal every morning! I also regularly eat the pb & banana sandwiches…so yummy! I will definitely make these : )

I love your blog by the way!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — March 8, 2010 @ 8:01 am

I used to eat peanut butter and mayo sandwiches… don’t knock it till you try it :)
    Those muffins look sooooo good! Banana and peanut butter is a match made in food heaven, for sure. For sure! Must try them.

Wow I can’t believe Mr. hasn’t shaved yet… he must realllly want that mustache! At least you got some Godiva out of it ;)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — March 8, 2010 @ 8:15 am

Holy goodness those look amazing. They make the banana bread I made this weekend look so sad haha!

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self — March 8, 2010 @ 8:20 am

I cannot wait to make these muffins!!!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 8, 2010 @ 8:42 am

I absolutely grew up eating peanut butter and pickle sandwiches. It’s one of my favorite combinations that never fails to make everyone around me gag.

Gena — March 8, 2010 @ 8:56 am

These look totally gorgeous, and oh so easy to veganize (just the egg, no?)! Thanks as always for your amazing hand with the oven!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 8, 2010 @ 8:57 am

haha the word crustache makes me cringe a little bit :) i love the way these muffins look and sound…perhaps a treat option for the office this week? :)

Lisa @ Early Morning Run — March 8, 2010 @ 9:30 am

This looks and sounds fantastic! Do you think I could substitute whole wheat flour for the same effect?

Wow, I have to tell my hubby about the pb & pickle combo and pb, mayo, and banana. He thinks my pb blt sandwiches are odd, I think they’re delicious!

• Jessica — March 8th, 2010 @ 9:33 am

Lisa- I’m sure! They may be a bit on the drier side, but I bet they would be good!

Anne — March 8, 2010 @ 9:32 am

Haha, so funny that he tries to bribe you with Godiva chocolates :D

homecookedem — March 8, 2010 @ 9:33 am

Haha, crustache is a funny word!! ;) I’d love to go on a double date with yall… you 2 sound like a hoot to hang out with, hehe!!

Those muffins look quite tasty!! I too love banana + PB!!!! :)

Alexandra — March 8, 2010 @ 9:33 am

Oh my gosh these look DELICIOUS.

And ohhh gosh. The whole peanut butter/pickle thing. Always wanted to try it, never have. Too scared i’m gonna get totally grossed out and waste all that wonderous peanut butter ;)

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — March 8, 2010 @ 9:41 am

I actually think PB & pickles sounds good. Salty, sweet, & crunchy! Probaby perfect for a pregnany woman :)

Evan Thomas — March 8, 2010 @ 9:43 am

Sounds delicious! I would love these with some cream cheese

Crystal — March 8, 2010 @ 9:50 am

This recipe comes at a perfectly convenient time! I have six browning bananas on my counter and I was going to make a couple recipes in the next day or two…just hadn’t figured out what recipes yet, now I know what one of them is! These look awesome! Mmmm…PB and banana…

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 8, 2010 @ 10:06 am

If your hubby is anything like mine… he’s still sporting the stache!

In fact… I can see my husband keeping it even longer just to get on my nerves!

PB + Banana is my favorite combo!!!! YUM!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — March 8, 2010 @ 10:12 am

Um yeah so those look just about PERFECT! :)

Nicole, RD — March 8, 2010 @ 10:23 am

Of course he is.

Those look sooooo good, girl!

All the crustache comments continue to crack me up and shoot, you better share a pic! :) haha! Hope we get to see this monstrosity soon!

~Christie http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — March 8, 2010 @ 11:15 am

I made banana bread yesterday with chocolate chips. I definitely need to try this banana plus peanut butter chip combo. Yet again, another yummy recipe that I just HAVE to try!!!

Jil — March 8, 2010 @ 11:28 am

Those look absolutely amazing. Banana bread is one of my all time favorites.

Allison @ Food For Healing — March 8, 2010 @ 11:29 am

My boyfriend loves pickles and PB. He usually just puts them together in a bowl, i’m sure he would have a Pickle and PB sandwich, but the bread would add too many extra calories! LOL

Abby — March 8, 2010 @ 11:35 am

please, your food pictures are always amazing. spare us the picture of the ‘stache!! ;)

Kimberly@sinfullythin.blogspot.com — March 8, 2010 @ 11:40 am

WOW…all your recipes look soooooooooo delicious!!!!

Biz — March 8, 2010 @ 11:54 am

Oh my gosh, I’ve heard of some weird combos, but peanut butter and pickles??!!

I am going to say the crustache is still there! :D

Sara — March 8, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

Oh peanut butter and bananas have a special place in my heart! These muffins sound delish.

Kathleen — March 8, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

These sound totally off the hook! Just curious-how many minutes do I have to do on my treadmill at 3.5 / 0 incline to burn one off?

Fit Chick in the City — March 8, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

I should not come here hungry! I love peanut butter and banana! Classic combo that can never go wrong!

One Healthy Apple — March 8, 2010 @ 12:37 pm

I think the ‘stache is still on. I don’t know if it’s spreading, but my hubby and his two former frat brother buddies just talked about some beard contest this past weekend. What’s going on here?

Low — March 8, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

Peanut butter and pickle sandwich? Not sure about that either…

The muffins look great though. Down with the crustache ;)

Blond Duck — March 8, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

Oh my God, a muffin after my own heart. Don’t you love these?

I never thought of smearing them with more PB…brilliant!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — March 8, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

I just love peanut butter too! my husband finally gave in and let me buy natural peanut butter which I like more than his JIF, so I finally can make some GOOD muffins! What did you give up for Lent? chocolate or bacon?? or both?

• Jessica — March 8th, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

Bacon!

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — March 8, 2010 @ 3:16 pm

peanut butter + banana is hands down one of my favorite combos. I usually eat it as a sandwich, but in muffin form?! Yes please! Not to mention that calling it a “muffin” means you can eat it for breakfast ;) *cough* and lunch and dinner and dessert *cough*

Kelly — March 8, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

Well all the more banana bread for you then!
    Those looks delicious- but I have to say peanut butter and chocolate combination is SLIGHTLY better than banana and peanut butter. Though I also like banana and chocolate together haha.

Annie@stronghealthyfit — March 8, 2010 @ 4:08 pm

I agree, PB and banana is one of the best flavor combinations. I eat it almost every day in some form. Your muffins look like a winning recipe, but I would probably decrease the amount of sugar by a bit, 1 cup seems like a lot to me! I usually do 1/2 a cup of honey or agave in a batch of muffins.
    You should definitely post a pic of this infamous facial hair. I think mustaches are fine, just as long as they are attached to beards.

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — March 8, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

PB and pickle is stretching it a bit, but these—amaazing! and i love the melted butter on them too!

i wonder what planet your hubby comes from too if he doesnt like banana bread ;)

megan — March 8, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

These look and sound like a great muffin!I love the PB and banana combo. Thumbs up!

april — March 8, 2010 @ 5:47 pm

I’ve actually heard of pickles and peanut butter from other people! I’m tempted to try it.. I could eat peanut butter on anything probably!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 8, 2010 @ 6:06 pm

I love peanut butter and banana together!! Best sandwiches ever!!

Jenny — March 8, 2010 @ 6:30 pm

The banana and peanut butter combo is what gets me out of bed in the morning! These sound incredible, thanks for sharing :)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 8, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

These sound great! I have a ton of bananas in the freezer that need to be used up.

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — March 8, 2010 @ 7:24 pm

Mmm that picture of the muffins with the melting butter really sealed the deal for me. These muffins look dynamite! I love that combination!

Katie — March 8, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

The melty butter in these pictures is killing me. I’m just going to eat some butter right now…

Oh, the muffins look awesome, too. :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 8, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

PB & Banana loaf that’s vegan and GF
    and really good that you could make into muffies if you ever want to impress a GF Vegan in your house. Oh wait, no one there is one :)

Kale chips…how did it go???!!!

1. Pingback: Whole Wheat Blueberry Banana Bread Muffins. | How Sweet It Is