These go down in history as my most favorite treat I have made in years. They top all of the cupcakes, cookies, and bars I have made recently.

I enjoyed making them because they are different and unique. Not to mention, they are incrediblly delicious and refreshing. I may be biased, but I truly think they taste better than York peppermint patties!

The recipe called for peppermint oil, with strict instructions not to use peppermint extract. I search high and low, far and wide and could not find any peppermint oil, besides the aromatherapy junk in Bath and Body Works. I didn’t think that was ideal.

So what did I do? I broke all the rules and used peppermint extract. I combined it with some vegetable oil, and the consistency came out perfectly!

The creamy inside is a mixture of butter, powdered sugar, peppermint and vanilla extracts, a touch of vegetable oil and evaporated milk.

Once is it mixed, it goes into the fridge for about an hour to get firm so it can be rolled into balls.

After some more refrigeration, I pressed each ball down with the smooth side of a meat tenderizer.

They weren’t perfect, but they just ended up in my tummy anyway. :)

After these babies were firm enough, I dipped them in chocolate and let them freeze a while longer.

The end result was unreal!

My chocolate coating is not the prettiest, but let’s be honest here – we all know I don’t have much patience. I coat the creamy peppermint in chocolate, then have to rush to get it in the freezer while my eyes, hands and heart and begging for it to get in my mouth.

And correct me if I’m wrong, but can these easily be made vegan with substitutions for the butter, milk and chocolate chips?

I will never eat a store-bought peppermint patty again.

Well . . . unless I’m really hungry.

Peppermint Patties

adapted from Joy of Baking

2 cups powdered sugar

1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened

2 tablespoons evaporated milk

1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

drop of peppermint extract

1-2 cups chocolate chips

In an electric mixer, beat first 5 ingredients until smooth. Scoop into a bowl and place in the refrigerator to set. Once firm, roll into one inch balls. Push down to flatten. Set in freeze for another 60 minutes.

Melt chocolate chips in a double boiler. Remove patties from freezer and dip in chocolate, setting on wax paper. Freeze again until ready to eat.

I know I say it all the time, but these really are a must-make! Please, please give it a try. They will give you goosebumps.

And my husband still is rockin’ the mustache. Tonight, he will be presented with a lovely meal . . . that does not include meat. Bahahah.

124 Responses to “Peppermint Patties.”

Karla — March 1, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

Ooooh! I’m going to try to make these!!

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place — March 1, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

peppermint patties are my fav candy! you know i’ll be trying this soon!

Caitlin@TheTwentyFifthYear — March 1, 2010 @ 5:11 pm

I think what entertained me the most is not the post (sorry Jess) but the intermittent comments from Mr. How Sweet.

Although, in your defense I will NEVER understand the whole guys growing mustache things. What is it with the facial hair competitions? Women do nothing even close to these kind of shenanigans.

intheskinny — March 1, 2010 @ 5:33 pm

Oh my goodness!! I can’t wait to make this recipe!

Yum Yucky — March 1, 2010 @ 5:34 pm

how do you work such greedy miracles? I am truly amazed.

Jill — March 1, 2010 @ 5:37 pm

My favorite candy. We made these when I was a kid. I had forgotten. They look great.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — March 1, 2010 @ 6:15 pm

Apparently my blackberry doesn’t like to post my comments – but these look great! they would make a really good present to bring to someone..instant good mood!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — March 1, 2010 @ 6:16 pm

OMG amazinggggg…i was just thinking of york peppermint patties yesterday and here you are making them homemade! when you make all of your goodies, are they just for you and your hubby or do you freeze anything for later or give to some friends nad family?

• Jessica — March 1st, 2010 @ 6:21 pm

It depends, but most of the time we always share with friends and family! If not, then I only make 1/4 or 1/2 of a recipe so we don’t eat ourselves silly. :)

Picnics and Peonies — March 1, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

WOW! I just discovered your website and those look amaaazing!!! I can’t wait to read everything else!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 1, 2010 @ 7:04 pm

Vegan peppermint patties. The recipe was Diana’s of Soap and Choc who did a guestie for me.
    Your recipe could EASILY be veganized..and most semi sweet or dark-ish choc chips, i.e. TJ’s brand of semi sweets, are inherently vegan. Which is why i never understand why people buy those $6/bag enjoy life vegan chips when for half the price, most choc chips ARE vegan. There is no milk solids in them, just cocoa and oil and soy lecithin. But i digress.

The evap milk here you used, sub that out with full fat coconut milk or almond milk, and you’re golden. Or soak and blend cashews or macadam nuts for nut milk that’s uber creamy with a touch of sweetener.

Ok this is a bible, just call me vegan alton brown of candy making :)
    xoxo

Cheryl — March 1, 2010 @ 7:06 pm

There is an award for you at my site:)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 1, 2010 @ 7:20 pm

Okay, I am off of work on Friday, and I think I am going to have to designate it “Make a Million of Jessica’s Recipes Day.” I want a peppermint patty NOW!!

Fit Chick in the City — March 1, 2010 @ 7:32 pm

Two words: Mail order

sophia — March 1, 2010 @ 8:46 pm

Oh wow!!! you don’t skimp on the mint fillings….these look too good to be homemade! ah, what am I saying…anything YOu touch magically transforms into edible jewels!

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — March 1, 2010 @ 10:08 pm

OMGGGGG! These look sooo good! The last time I had a peppermint patty it tasted way too minty. I loved the idea of being able to control the mintiness. YUM :)

Jenn

Shelley — March 1, 2010 @ 10:16 pm

these sound awesome!! i loved these candies as a kid!

OH MY WORD!!! Peppermint Patties are my second favorite, only behind Thin Mints, so I’m sure you understand how much my mouth was just watering look at those pics! :) YUM!!!

~Christie http://rollerkoesterrun.wordpress.com/

Katrina — March 2, 2010 @ 5:20 am

Oh my. Peppermint and chocolate are my favorite!! Thanks for the recipe!

Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread — March 2, 2010 @ 5:44 am

Oh my goodness YUM! I love peppermint patties but havent made at home before! Looking forward to trying this :)

Jess — March 2, 2010 @ 7:07 am

Oh my gosh those look delicious and seeing them just made me crave a peppermint patty so badly haha!

Amanda — March 2, 2010 @ 7:16 am

These look amazing Jessica. I think you just stumbled upon my weakness in life. Because for some reason, I feel like I wont be complete until I eat one. :)

Betsy — March 2, 2010 @ 8:10 am

Totally making these soon! Such a perfect treat for the beginning of spring :)

Christina@Health-Foodie — March 2, 2010 @ 9:05 am

Peppermint oil is often not labeled as such. I use simply organics, peppermint flavor, but it really is just peppermint oil and sunflower oil (read the label).

Hope this helped! :)

Jessica — March 2, 2010 @ 12:47 pm

I have a dumb question… can you serve these at room temperature, or will the melt?

• Jessica — March 2nd, 2010 @ 12:51 pm

Great question! I was actually going to update this today …

Last night i had 2 left and set them out of the freezer while I did some things. They DID start to melt a little bit. At first I was ticked, but then took it as a good sign because it means there aren’t 8000 different preservatives in them to keep them firm. :)

I’d say take them out of the freezer/fridge right before you serve them!

Jenny — March 2, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

As always Jessica, way to go on this post! Something I’ve never made before, but I definitely expect to make these now that I’ve seen your steps!

Jenny — March 2, 2010 @ 8:54 pm

Those look so amazing! Way better than the store-bought ones!!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie — March 2, 2010 @ 11:22 pm

Those look positively amazing! I am thinking about trying these but with some dairy-free subs and coconut added. Coconut and mint seem to make an amazing combo – with chocolate of course!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — March 3, 2010 @ 6:12 am

Holy YUM!!!!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — March 3, 2010 @ 6:13 am

OH MY GOSH!!!!!! YUM!!!!!!

eatingRD — March 3, 2010 @ 10:01 pm

I LOVE anything mint!!! I’ve never tried to make these on my own before, yum!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 5, 2010 @ 10:09 am

Yum! I attempted to make peppermint patties around Christmas and ended up with a giant gooey mess. Your recipe looks great, though, so I think I will have to give them another shot!

Michelle — March 5, 2010 @ 4:50 pm

These look delicious!!! You some great looking recipes. We have just started a cooking blog http://thepepperedpantry.blogspot.com/, come check us out!

Sam — March 9, 2010 @ 8:46 pm

third recipe i’ve tried from your blog. third success (meaning they all get eaten quickly)!!!! thanks

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — July 4, 2010 @ 9:34 am

Ahh these look delicious :)

Paula — July 7, 2010 @ 2:20 am

today I`ve done very similar thing but more easier. Just powder sugar, water and mint extract. Really delicious! Today afternoon I`ll put the recipe on my blog :)

Amber — July 7, 2010 @ 11:44 am

I wonder if they would set so they could be left room temp if you used chocolate almond bark instead of the chocolate chips to dip them in? Kinda like we do for the homemade bon bons…..Just a thought.

• Jessica — July 7th, 2010 @ 11:48 am

I’m thinking no, because the creamy middle gets melty and sticky, too. But it’s worth a try. If you do it, let me know!

Robyn — August 10, 2010 @ 12:45 pm

i made these last week as a treat for a co-worker who eats gluten-free and she loved them! i used heavy cream instead of evaporated milk, which seemed to work fine, and i also used more peppermint extract. also – i used a big bar of lindt dark chocolate (chopped and melted) for the coating when i ran out of chocolate chips, and i found it made a smoother shinier coating.

Lindsey — January 17, 2011 @ 6:17 pm

I just made these with milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate & regular mint extract instead of peppermint extract (sometimes I find peppermint overwhelming & mint just perfect) and they are freakin’ delicious. Thank you so much for sharing, all of your recipes look fabulous! I also made your Cake Batter Bark and it was absolutely heavenly.

Zac — February 24, 2011 @ 9:58 pm

Anyone have any suggestions on how to coat these with chocolate and have them look good? These are absolutely *delicious* but would love some tips on making them more presentable.

Thanks for the recipe and thanks for any replies.

Z

• Jessica — February 24th, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

Zac – if you make sure the patties come directly from the freezer and dip in batches, it should help. I also use forks to dip to help the chocolate run off.

• Zac — February 25th, 2011 @ 4:07 am

Thanks! I’ll give that a try next time. My batch looks like hell but tastes like heaven! I may also try to melt the chocolate chips in a shallower pan next time.

Best,

Z

Jules — February 25, 2011 @ 3:27 am

I made these for a friend’s birthday and they were amazing! I used alot more peppermint extract and mixed ghriadelli dark and milk chocolate chips for the coating–sooooo good!

Lydia — April 28, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

Can I just say that I am so happy and excited that you have this recipe!! I have been looking for a good peppermint patty recipe for ages.Or as my husband likes to call them “fatty patties”. Major pregnancy craving! Thank you! :)

Christina — May 26, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

How many does this recipe make? I’m trying to decide if I should make 1/2 or 1/4 since you usually double (only 2 in our household too!).

Melissa — August 23, 2011 @ 6:36 pm

These sound amazing! Can’t wait to make them! however, do you know a trick for making powdered sugar not taste like the cardboard box? Every powdered sugar I get tastes like cardboard and it ends up not making the product taste well. Thanks for you help and I love your blog! :) smiles, Melissa

Em — November 7, 2011 @ 10:34 pm

Just made these peppermint patties…they taste amazing!!!! Thanks for posting the recipe! I enjoy your site, there are so many recipes on it I can’t wait to try! I found your website looking for crockpot recipes and found crockpot bbq beer chicken one. I made it a few weeks ago and will definitely be using that recipe again, and have already passed it along!!!!

Tracey — December 9, 2011 @ 1:34 am

So excited to make these. Look for peppermint essential oil online. It makes a big difference. I made peppermint ice cream with it instead of extract this summer and the flavor was amazing!

Alicia — December 12, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

Thank-you for sharing! And the oil and peppermint extract worked great :)

Miss Meghan @ scratch-made wife — December 18, 2011 @ 8:52 pm

You just made my husband’s dreams come true. :)

Holly=) — June 6, 2012 @ 9:19 pm

These look delicious! What a great idea! I think I’ll coat mine with semi-sweet because I love dark chocolate. If you don’t mind sharing, what was the original recipe? I vastly prefer the flavor of peppermint oil!! (You can buy pure essentials oils at health food stores/Whole Foods/natural markets, etc)

Shelly — November 16, 2012 @ 11:49 am

I’m totally making these as gifts this year, for everyone! I love that they can probably freeze really well so I can start now. Thank you! :)

Kelly Nolan — December 30, 2012 @ 1:38 pm

I am confused by the directions. It says to mix the first FIVE ingredients but then does not direct you on wht to do with the pepperment extract. Is it one drop for the whole mix or one per cookie? Do you mix it in at the begnning with all of the other ingredients?