Mr. How Sweet is a man’s man.

He is polite and a gentlemen – he still opens the car door for me every time.

He usually shaves, but occasionally has some scruff. And I know he really just wants to wear jeans and flannel. But I’d throw a hissy fit.

He doesn’t mind getting dirty or rolling in the mud. Not literally of course.

And his meal of choice will forever be one of two things: pizza or steak.

He wasn’t always this way. When we first met, his outfit of choice included skinny Dolce and Gabbana jeans, and on one of our first dates we went to get sushi.

I couldn’t pay him to eat sushi now.

At the risk of totally humiliating him, I have to tell you that Mr. How Sweet made me a mixed tape CD every month, for the first year-and-a-half we were together.

They were filled with the newest top 40 hits and occasionally some sappy love songs.

I even remember receiving a text message from him in the early days about how he was exciting to watch Dancing with the Stars with me that night.

And one night, while we were watching it, he mentioned taking dance lessons.

Who is this man, and is he real? Or did he just inhale too many fumes on his commute home from work?

I’d like to tell you now that he tricked me.

Most of it is a blur, but as he grew older and out relationship matured, the real Mr. How Sweet came out.

The Mr. How Sweet who was in posession of 600 dyecast Nascar cars and live for Sundays to watch the race.

The Mr. How Sweet who stopped listening to my fun music and subjected me to some heavy metal, but ever worse, some old school country. As in I-only-want-to-listen-to-Conway-Twitty-and-Waylon-Jennings old school country.

And while we’re at it, can someone tell me who in the world those old fogies are?

Never mind, I’d rather not know.

Mr. How Sweet even used to watch some chick flicks with me, and enjoy trashy reality TV.

These days, I’m more likely to find him handicapping the Kentucky Derby on the computer while I lose brains cells watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

And as you know, Mr. How Sweet even had the audacity to grow a moustache.

Last night, I attempted to trick Mr. How Sweet with this pizza pasta.

I made some whole wheat pasta and tossed it with tomato sauce, parmesan cheese, fresh mozzarella,  pepperoni, and italian seasoning.

Then, I covered it with provolone and added more pepperoni, and let it get hot and bubbly under the broiler.

It looked and smelled so delicious, and I don’t even enjoy pepperoni.

Mr. How Sweet loved it.

I held my excitement inside, but I was thrilled. Normally, a meal has to be topped off with chicken, steak, ground beef or turkey, or some form of meat. If not, Mr. How Sweet finds a chicken leg in the fridge to gnaw on next to his meal.

I got away with only using pepperoni. He ate the whole thing, and didn’t ask where the protein was.

I don’t blame him. It really looked delicious.

Pizza Pasta

2 cups whole wheat pasta, cooked

1/2 cup tomato sauce

1 oz fresh mozzarella, chopped

1/2 tablespoon italian seasoning

15 slices pepperoni, cut in 4′s

2 tablespoons parmesan cheese

1/2 cup provolone cheese

Preheat broiler.

Combine pasta and sauce in a bowl. Top with fresh mozzarella, seasoning, parmesan, and half of the pepperoni. Add on provolone cheese and remaining pepperoni.

Set under broiler until cheese is melted, about 30-60 seconds.

About 20 minutes after finishing, Mr. How Sweet piped up,‘You know, that was really good. ButI just don’t think there was enough protein in it for me.’

Stay tuned.

Tonight’s meal will consist of a giant bowl of meat, labeled ‘dinner.’

90 Responses to “Pizza Pasta.”

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — March 25, 2010 @ 11:13 am

SO delicious! I have seen something similar with speghetti, having it be tossed with italian seasoning and sauce, then covered in cheese and broiled, buit I love it with this style of pasta! looks So good and I am sure mr sweet gobbled it right up!…hey there was protein in there, pepporoni, right ;)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 25, 2010 @ 11:20 am

Haha, Mr. How Sweet sounds hilarious, just like you :-)

That pasta dish looks mouth-watering. No wonder he loved it!

Melinda — March 25, 2010 @ 11:42 am

Very nice idea. I like the combo, and I love melted cheese on top of pasta.

katie — March 25, 2010 @ 11:55 am

OH MY GAHH! my boyfriend would LOVE this! he adores italian!

and yes those are ice cream chocolates on my blog! lizzy sent em to me!

Shannon — March 25, 2010 @ 11:57 am

My husband has definitely relaxed into the relationship too. But he still comes up with sweet things to say and do :) I will have to try pizza pasta on him…he also insists on some meat in his meal. I’m always cooking up chicken so I add it into his dish!

Cool Lassi(e) — March 25, 2010 @ 12:33 pm

Dear,
    The Pasta Pizza looks divine. I could finish the whole thing in one sitting.
    BTW,My hubby did a 180 on me as well. :)
    Would you be interested in participating in a giveaway? I have one happening at my space and I choice items like Le Crueset Pans, Platzgraff Tortilla warmers and such. Check it out if you have time:

homecookedem — March 25, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

I made a very similar dish a couple years ago (with GF pasta). Andrew liked it, but I wasn’t impressed. I’ll have to give your’s a go! Thanks! :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — March 25, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

That pasta sounds really good to me too!!!
    And what a cute story about Mr. How Sweet… isn’t that always how it goes…

Shelley — March 25, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

bahh this looks amazing! & that story made me smile hahaha. love it! glad you ‘tricked’ him though i’m pretty sure any man would love all your fabulous cooking skills!

janetha — March 25, 2010 @ 2:56 pm

this is genius! best of both worlds!

Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) — March 25, 2010 @ 3:00 pm

Bahaha! Some men get married, pretend to be all macho, then all of a sudden ‘come out of the closet’. Mr. Sweet did the opposite. Not that he was ever gay, not that there’s anything wrong with that! ;-)

He has a protein radar!

D

Caitlin — March 25, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

LOL @ Will

And Mr. How Sweet, don’t try to justify those seemingly metro purchases of years ago. It’s OK, and we forgive you.

And Jess, if I made this, the edges of the pan would be all crusty and gross. How do you do it?!?

raina @ The Garden of Yum — March 25, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

Too funny. Their true colors come out eventually. My husband collects diecast planes! Love the dish. It looks so yummy. Love the cheese choice again! Provolone is so tasty and I never think of using it, but I loved it on your Happy Chicken and I know I will love it on this.

Mags — March 25, 2010 @ 6:07 pm

What a sweet post. If memory serves me (and I’m going back 30 years mind you) my sweetie was very similar and did such heart-melting things in the early years. Now he melts my heart by doing the things that make my old-woman heart tick. Different, but the same, ya know?

This dish looks fabulous and my hubby would definitely take a nose dive right into that plate.

Ashley — March 25, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

mix tapes every month? I believe he’s a GOOD MAN! i remember when my boyfriend in high school made me mix tapes :) those were the best. and pizza pasta? girl you are a QUEEN!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 25, 2010 @ 7:50 pm

Hey girl in all our awesome convos i failed to mention that yes, i would love to do bikini or fitness. I have no idea where to start though and i hate lifting..ugh. But I would love to pick your brain about things i could do that would be helpful or how to find someone who can help train me without just trying to rob me $$ or get in my pants :) LOL trainers have kinda a rep as you know :)

Katrina — March 25, 2010 @ 7:59 pm

This looks like the absolute perfect pasta!! Thanks again for the awesome recipe.

sophia — March 25, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

you guys are quite the entertaining and amusing couple. You should have your own sitcom. A cooking sitcom!

alex — March 25, 2010 @ 8:31 pm

wow. tour guide has been perfect- sushi, sweet emails & texts, and shaves.

if i stick with him, i’m screwed.

thatssoron — March 25, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

aahhh… i’m hungry now! thanks….

Miz — March 26, 2010 @ 2:43 am

*drool*
    and i know I always say that but its always how I feel :)
    would you consider a guest post for me??

maybe?

Annie@stronghealthyfit — March 26, 2010 @ 4:47 am

Good trickery ;-) It looks yummy but I don’t like pepperoni either.

Fit Chick in the City — March 26, 2010 @ 5:30 am

Being as Nashvegas is my hometown, I have to admit to actually knowing who those two country crooners are. In fact I met Conway Twitty when he came to my class in 2nd grade.

Jenn (j3nn.net) — March 26, 2010 @ 5:50 am

LOL, I love your story. Thankfully Dustin is still whipped. ;) Though, he’s not quite as agreeable as he was when we first met! So he’s probably slightly less whipped today than 6 years ago. hahahaha

By the way, I don’t like most country music, but I like Conway Twitty! My Italian grandmother was obsessed with him, so it grew on me yearsssssss later. lol

Now, that pasta, OMG! That looks SO good! Dustin LOVES pepperoni pizza, so I’m sure he would love this. Definitely making it!!! YUM

Jenn

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 26, 2010 @ 6:57 am

Yum! What a fun pasta dish… I bet my hubby would love it. Especially if I tell him it has already been husband pre-approved by Mr. How Sweet :)

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — March 26, 2010 @ 10:47 am

My husband still opens the door for me too among other super gentlemanly things:) So adorable.

That pasta looks incredible! I know my hubby would go for it!

Amanda — March 26, 2010 @ 11:29 am

This is so creative Jessica!! You come up with the most amazing recipes. LOVE the addition of fresh mozzarella!!

And glad Mr. Sweets enjoyed. He needs good stuff. :)

Blessings-
    Amanda

PippaPatchwork — March 26, 2010 @ 12:20 pm

Haha, I love it. That dish looks amazing!

And I symapthize. My boyfriend’s idea of a culinary masterpiece is funfetti.

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — March 27, 2010 @ 7:00 am

hahaha this is a great story I really enjoyed it! That pizza pasta looks awesome!

Art and Appetite — March 27, 2010 @ 9:47 pm

Awesome comfort food. At first, when I read the title, I thought you were referring to pizza with pasta topping–hehe. I once had that at this one place before and it had mac and cheese topping.

kelly — April 7, 2010 @ 9:31 am

mmm i might have to make this tonight!

Ashley — January 2, 2011 @ 5:28 am

My husband and I made this for ourselves and my mom one night…. soo good!!!!

Erica H — March 4, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

I made this recently, but on a much larger scale. It was yummy and worth eating more than once. There must be a husband handbook out there because mine also asked whether there was a meat? Ummm… yeah, pepperoni. That a combination of three ooey, gooey cheeses is completion in my book.

Lyra — October 4, 2011 @ 10:56 am

Made this for my sister and I today with bacon and red peppers it turned out delicious!

Briana — January 10, 2013 @ 10:45 pm

This was delicious and the best part was that is was super simple! I added some black olives on the top just because my kids will eat anything with olives on it and they gobbled this up!

Sidney Marz — May 3, 2013 @ 10:05 pm

When searching for a dance instructor ensure they can give you a background in all the types of dance you are interested in. This way you’ll be sure your teacher can properly demonstrate how the steps should be executed. In addition, you’ll want to find dance lessons that are suited not just to your musical needs but to your budget and schedule as well. We’re here to help, so check out our dance lessons and sign up with an instructor which you feel most comfortable with. `,

Please do take a look at our own blog page
    <http://caramoan.co/