Over the past few weeks I have developed a new obsession.

I know that I’m late to the party, but boy, oh boy am I in love with hummus.

It is a nice obsession to have, especially since I can make it at home. Another nice point? Mr. How Sweet doesn’t like it.

Well, he thinks he doesn’t like it.

After I single-handedly took down a bag of Stacy’s pita chips,  Mr. How Sweet rescued a tiny crumb from the bottom on the bag for dipping. He only got a tiny taste, but I secretly think he loved it.

In my excitement of trying different hummus flavors, I came to the realization that I really just love it plain.

But I love roasted garlic. I knew it had a place in my heart hummus.

So, I bought some Sabra hummus in the roasted garlic flavor. It was tasty, but I wasn’t a fan of the chunks of garlic. They were actually a bit hard as well.

I don’t like chunks unless they come in the form of chocolate, peanut butter or bacon.

And even though my thighs are full of chunks, I love them too. But that is all. No garlic chunks for me.

Luckily, I had a few heads of roasted garlic in the fridge. I tend to roast a few on the weekends because they make such delicious additions to meals.

I also used cannellini beans because I love their smooth, creamy texture.

I threw them in the food processor and squeezed the roasted garlic cloves on top. If I could marry my food processor, I would.

Though, that might hurt.

Roasted Garlic White Bean Hummus

1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

1 head roasted garlic

1 tablespoon tahini

1/4 cup olive oil

salt & pepper to taste

Add beans and tahini to food processor. Squeeze roasted garlic cloves in. Turn on food processor and stream in olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.

What is your favorite hummus flavor? And what flavors should I try? Remember – I don’t like chunks.

I also don’t like dipping vegetables in my hummus, which is probably why I stayed away so long. Hummus is often served with veggies. Gag.

If you have a non-chunky, non-vegetable hummus, serve it up!

80 Responses to “Roasted Garlic White Bean Hummus.”

Sarah Caron — March 18, 2010 @ 6:24 am

I love how creamy that looks! YUM! I adore roasted garlic in any form, and I bet it’s fabulous in this.

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — March 18, 2010 @ 6:24 am

Yum! I’m a hummus addict. This looks delicious – I bet the fresh roasted garlic is totally amazing. If you don’t like chunks – try Sabra – it’s my fave and smooth. Also like adding some spicy to mine with some hot sauce…so delicious!

Erica — March 18, 2010 @ 6:26 am

Hummus is so so good. I’ve been making a lot of my own lately as well. I did, however, recently purchase a jalapeno and cilantro hummus (publix brand) at the store this week- best hummus EVER! So yummy.

Morgan — March 18, 2010 @ 6:28 am

that looks so good! I LOVE hummus. I tried the creamiest avocado hummus this weekend from Wegman’s. It made me swoon

Sophie @ yumventures — March 18, 2010 @ 6:30 am

I LOVE bean dips! And with roasted garlic — most amazing thing ever!

Jen — March 18, 2010 @ 6:34 am

I made a dip very similar to this a couple weeks ago using great northern beans.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 18, 2010 @ 6:43 am

Roasted red pepper hummus is so good! Give it a try!

Nicole, RD — March 18, 2010 @ 6:45 am

Yum! I love Sabra, too…but this sounds like it’d give Sabra a run for its money!

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — March 18, 2010 @ 6:48 am

Love this hummus. I’ve been eating a lot of it lately. I know you’re not necessarily a veggie lover, but I really love how creamy it is on salads. I actually find it refreshing that you don’t love veggies. It’s honest and maybe unique? Ha.

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — March 18, 2010 @ 6:48 am

I’m wondering if your love of gorgonzola cheese would be good in it?

Anna @ Oats N Boats — March 18, 2010 @ 6:54 am

My fav. flavor is definitely roasted garlic. I like some brands of roasted red pepper hummus, but not other brands… and those are typically smooth as well.
    My favorite part of this post is the idea of roasting garlic on the weekend just to have available during the week – that’s genius! I love roasted garlic but rarely am using my oven during the week so I never really get a chance to make roasted garlic (although I just found a crock pot recipe that I want to try). I’m definitely going to be roasting up some garlic this weekend to use during the week. Thanks!

MelissaNibbles — March 18, 2010 @ 7:05 am

Yum! I love hummus. Have you tried dipping strawberries in hummus? Delicious!

kay (eating machine) — March 18, 2010 @ 7:06 am

roasted spicy pepper hummus is pretty fantastic. roasting a spicy pepper mellows it to a gentle burning… which is kinda tasty

Christie @ Honoring Health — March 18, 2010 @ 7:12 am

I love hummus and can eat it on anything!

Jeni — March 18, 2010 @ 7:17 am

I agree with some of the others. Roasted red pepper hummus is yummy! I’m not a big fan of Stacy’s chips, they seem really hard to me. I like just dipping plain chewy pita bread into my hummus. Yum! Dang, now I’m hungry for greek food.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 18, 2010 @ 7:24 am

That reminds me of the awesome white bean and basil hummus I get from TJs. So so so good!

Amy — March 18, 2010 @ 7:30 am

I make horseradish hummus that is KILLER! It doesn’t usually last long in our house :)

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — March 18, 2010 @ 7:31 am

There is nothing as good as home-made hummus, and your looks delicious! You can’t go wrong with the roasted garlic flavor either. My new favorite hummus variety is jalapeno-cilantro. So good!

Jenna — March 18, 2010 @ 7:38 am

This would be a hit in our house! I love making homemade hummus but haven’t tried a garlic one yet. Thanks for the delicious recipe. :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — March 18, 2010 @ 7:41 am

MAKING THIS THIS WEEKEND! I love making my own hummus, so easy, cheap and tasty!!! roasted gahhhlic is awesome too, esp in hummus, but I am not one for the chunks either!!

Sara @ ActiveGal — March 18, 2010 @ 8:09 am

I have a confession, I have never tried hummus. Gasp! I know! I really need to jump on the bandwaggo and give it a try, everyone I have ever talked to seems to love it! Yours looks yummy!

Julie @SavvyEats — March 18, 2010 @ 8:14 am

Try my Cinnamon PB Hummus… so good on fruit or graham crackers!

Mr. How Sweet — March 18, 2010 @ 8:15 am

Darling Wifey,

I’m finalizing plans for this weekend while you are out of town. Tiger Woods, Jesse James and Pittsburgh Mayor Luke Ravenstahl and I are going to grab a bite to eat. Charlie Sheen might be joining us as well. Probably an early dinner so we can each turn in at a reasonable hour. I don’t see anything bad coming out of me hanging with these guys.

Mama Pea — March 18, 2010 @ 8:28 am

One word: Sabra.

(If I said anything else, that wouldn’t be one word, so I’ll go now)

Sara — March 18, 2010 @ 8:41 am

I love hummus, but I’ve never tried making it before. This recipe sounds great though.

Tracey — March 18, 2010 @ 8:41 am

You have the BEST recipes!

I haven’t joined the Hummus party yet but I think if I tried making it at home I might like it. I don’t have a food processor, do you think I could make this in the blender or no?

Alison — March 18, 2010 @ 8:42 am

If the other commenters are any indication, maybe you got the only chunky container of Sabra in the world. ;) I have a few suggestions.

– olives! I just tried olive hummus last night at a Greek place in Squirrel Hill and it was delicious. Also a very beautiful purple color, assuming you use purple olives :)
    – peppadew (sp) peppers. They’re spicy and sweet so I bet they would be awesome in hummus. Market District has them in the bulk olives section.
    – honey. I bet if you used a flavorful one (like date honey… I don’t know if it’s really honey or just dates mashed up) it would be super tasty with the beans.

Kacy — March 18, 2010 @ 8:48 am

I’m really into the Sabra Chipotle right now. I agree about the garlic chunks, kind of off-putting. Love the idea to use white beans, they’re my favorite bean!

Life with Kaishon — March 18, 2010 @ 9:02 am

I love humus. I could eat it all day!

janetha — March 18, 2010 @ 9:08 am

while i am a huge fan of your sweet recipes i REALLY love it when you do savory ones! this hummus looks so creamy and dreamy. xoxo

janetha — March 18, 2010 @ 9:09 am

oh an i LOVE susan’s sunflower seed hummus. you would love it too i bet!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 18, 2010 @ 9:09 am

Aren’t Stacy’s Pita Chips the best?!?! They are my favorite pita chips!

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — March 18, 2010 @ 9:09 am

I was just thinking last night that I wanted to make a white bean dip, but white bean hummus sounds better! Can’t wait to make this.

Blond Duck — March 18, 2010 @ 9:10 am

Pita chips are a staple in our house and Ben and I have both been wanting to try hummus. So glad you posted this before I went to the store!

april — March 18, 2010 @ 9:10 am

I’ve never had canelli beans!! What do they taste like compared to regular?

Tina — March 18, 2010 @ 9:32 am

This looks delicious. I have a love affair with hummus too. And yes, it hurts. ;) LOL

Cassie — March 18, 2010 @ 9:41 am

Isn’t hummus the best? I can’t wait to try this recipe!

Angela @ A healthy fit — March 18, 2010 @ 9:44 am

I LOVE hummus. I could eat it everyday for the rest of my life. Roasted garlic is delish and it is super easy to make yourself!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — March 18, 2010 @ 9:46 am

All 4 of us in this house fight over the last bit of hummus! We can’t get enough of it!!! My husband loves it with the kettle cooked salt and black pepper chips. I love it on anything and the little ones love it with homemade flat bread! It really is from heaven!

Lisa — March 18, 2010 @ 9:55 am

I LOVE hummus! California Pizza Kitchen has a Tuscan Hummus, which sounds really similar to this – it’s made with white beans instead of Garbanzo. Can’t wait to try this recipe!! I’ve also tried Lemon Cilantro hummus that I buy at Fresh & Easy. SOOOO good.

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — March 18, 2010 @ 9:56 am

I love hummus! It tastes so good on sandwiches instead of mustard or mayonnaise…yum!

Anne — March 18, 2010 @ 10:05 am

So far I’ve only found THREE different flavours in my grocery store, boohoo. I would LOVE to try the sundried tomato flavour (even though I’m not a fan of tomatoes, but when it’s blended into someting else it goes :D).

Paige (running around normal) — March 18, 2010 @ 10:33 am

I’m a hummus fiend!! I loove me some Sabras, but like homemade best:)
    Your version looks yummy!

Katie — March 18, 2010 @ 10:48 am

Roasted red pepper hummus is my favorite – sorry, I know that’s a veggie ;-) but you can hardly taste in when it’s all blended up (without the chunks of course)

tasteofbeirut — March 18, 2010 @ 11:05 am

Hello Jessica

I am so glad you are in love with hummos; we consider hummos practically our national dish (the one with chick peas) along with tabbooleh, another super healthy salad (if done right)
    Great site!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 18, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

My favorite hummus is the original flavor! I agree with all the other comments about Sabra! It’s the best store bought hummus out there!

But nothing is better than making it yourself :)

Julie — March 18, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

“d-d-don’t be tardy for the party.”
    Sorry I had to. That song is amaze.

I highly doubt your thighs are full of chunks! Pfft. Anyway, I love hummus like whoah but I’ve never made it. I’m too scurred. I love sabra roasted pine nut hummus, but it’s got chunks. Roasted red pepper and chipolte flavors are good too. I love pita’s and hummus and stacy’s pita chips are crack. CRACK.

homecookedem — March 18, 2010 @ 1:21 pm

Ohhhhh, hummus is so dreamy!! ;) I think my fave hummus flavor would have to be roasted red pepper. You could puree the roasted red pepper so it’s not chunky, but you still get the amazing flavor!! :)

Sprout — March 18, 2010 @ 1:45 pm

Cannelli beans, what can be better? I know – hummus made from cannelli beans! Great post, thanks for sharing.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — March 18, 2010 @ 3:25 pm

I’ve had a love for hummus for awhile,but my obsession started in December when I finally got a food processor. Now I make it every week. Usually I make traditional, but sometimes I’ll throw in olives or roasted red peppers or sundried tomatoes. yum!

1. Pingback: 55 Recipes for New Year's Eve | How Sweet It Is