A few months ago, I went through a blue corn chip addiction. I sent myself to rehab, otherwise know as ‘winter’ here in Pittsburgh.

See, the blue corn chip addiction was exacerbated by fresh, ripe avocados made into delicious guacamole.

And since avocado’s cost an arm and a leg here during the winter, I kicked the habit.

I’m not a chips-and-salsa gal, unless we are at a Mexican restaurant with homemade chips and I’m 4 margarita’s deep.

I had a half-full bag of blue corn chips that were most likely a bit stale and a few months old. In true Mother Lovett fashion, I didn’t let them go to waste and created this concoction to dip them in.

Unlike Mother Lovett, they weren’t 6 years expired. Yes, folks. That was perfectly acceptable.

I love corn. I love sweet corn.

If corn was the only vegetable on earth, I would love vegetables.

Speaking of those treacherous things, I ate a few veggies yesterday. Sandwiched in between some wheat bread and goat cheese, I chomped down a few roasted sweet peppers.

They were . . . eh, alright. I kind of enjoyed them. But I’m not ready to go back for more yet. It is a brand new relationship, and I’m not ready to jump in the sack yet.

See a trend here? All veggies I eat must be sweet.

This salsa is sweet, but also has a nice tang from the crisp, red onion.

Sweet Corn and Avocado Salsa

1 cup sweet, yellow corn

1/2 avocado, chopped

1/4 red onion, chopped

1/4 plum tomato, chopped

1 teaspoon chopped cilantro

spritz of fresh lemon juice

salt & pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients together and season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon.

Serve with tortilla or pita chips.

This salsa is deliciously addicting. My issue with blue corn chips is back, and with avocado’s coming into season, it will be back with a vengeance. Someone please stop me.

67 Responses to “Sweet Corn and Avocado Salsa.”

Katie — March 16, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

Avocado and corn is one of my favorite combos on earth! Yummmm.

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — March 16, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

I want this dip and I don’t have any chips! :( I have potato chips, but they aren’t the same. What can I do? *whines*

:D
    Jenn

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place — March 16, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

yummmmm.. corn is also my fav. I love how corn on the cob is so cheap here in the summer, too.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 16, 2010 @ 6:05 pm

OMG that looks sooo good! I just made mango salsa last week and i think you said great minds think alike, now i know why :)

oh and the posts of mine the last two days, I mentioned you re the coconut lovin’ and also bodybuilding/fitness. I just wanted to make sure you know how much I adore you, Jessica!

xoxo

Lisa S. — March 16, 2010 @ 6:18 pm

This looks good, except, where’s the heat? I like sweet too, but gimme some heat with it. Then chips are good, but so is a spoon…just sayin. I can’t wait for summer and fresh sweet corn. Yum…………..

Barbara Bakes — March 16, 2010 @ 6:30 pm

I make a similar corn salsa and it definitely is addicting! Yours looks fresh and delicious!

art and appetite — March 17, 2010 @ 1:21 am

Goodness appetite! This looks and sounds delish. m m mmmmm!

Yum Yucky — March 17, 2010 @ 2:55 am

Well I could just pour that beautiful salsa into my mouth straight from that bowl. And then crumble some chips over top my mouth. It’s easier and faster that way.

Katrina — March 17, 2010 @ 3:25 am

Anything with avocado count me in! This looks great.

Fit Chick in the City — March 17, 2010 @ 3:58 am

Blue corn chips are so addictive! I can’t stay away from then either.

Blond Duck — March 17, 2010 @ 4:12 am

My name is the Blond Duck, and I’m a blue corn chip and blue corn tortilla addict. Please send help. And chips.

The Candid RD — March 17, 2010 @ 4:36 am

Seriously, that’s the BEST combination!! I love blue corn chips, or even white corn chips really. With a sweet-ish salsa and avocado…well nothing beats it! And there is nothing wrong with only liking the sweeter vegetables. Anything is better than nothing, in my opinion!

Jessica @ Fit and Clean — March 17, 2010 @ 5:55 am

YUMMY! I looove avocado, they’re a new relationship for me, but it’s one I keep going back to! I put them on everything when they’re in season! I also looove blue corn chips. No one else will eat them in my family, so I generally get the bag all to myself.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — March 22, 2010 @ 11:20 am

Corn salsa is one of my favorites… and I love it with avocado. Now you have me craving some blue corn tortilla chips!

1. Pingback: Gardening’s Most Valuable Advice | Taplins Gardens