A few months ago, I went through a blue corn chip addiction. I sent myself to rehab, otherwise know as ‘winter’ here in Pittsburgh.

See, the blue corn chip addiction was exacerbated by fresh, ripe avocados made into delicious guacamole.

And since avocado’s cost an arm and a leg here during the winter, I kicked the habit.

I’m not a chips-and-salsa gal, unless we are at a Mexican restaurant with homemade chips and I’m 4 margarita’s deep.

I had a half-full bag of blue corn chips that were most likely a bit stale and a few months old. In true Mother Lovett fashion, I didn’t let them go to waste and created this concoction to dip them in.

Unlike Mother Lovett, they weren’t 6 years expired. Yes, folks. That was perfectly acceptable.

I love corn. I love sweet corn.

If corn was the only vegetable on earth, I would love vegetables.

Speaking of those treacherous things, I ate a few veggies yesterday. Sandwiched in between some wheat bread and goat cheese, I chomped down a few roasted sweet peppers.

They were . . . eh, alright. I kind of enjoyed them. But I’m not ready to go back for more yet. It is a brand new relationship, and I’m not ready to jump in the sack yet.

See a trend here? All veggies I eat must be sweet.

This salsa is sweet, but also has a nice tang from the crisp, red onion.

Sweet Corn and Avocado Salsa

1 cup sweet, yellow corn

1/2 avocado, chopped

1/4 red onion, chopped

1/4 plum tomato, chopped

1 teaspoon chopped cilantro

spritz of fresh lemon juice

salt & pepper to taste

Toss all ingredients together and season with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon.

Serve with tortilla or pita chips.

This salsa is deliciously addicting. My issue with blue corn chips is back, and with avocado’s coming into season, it will be back with a vengeance. Someone please stop me.

67 Responses to “Sweet Corn and Avocado Salsa.”

ashley — March 16, 2010 @ 6:32 am

corn and avocado salsa is one of my all time favorites! looks delicious!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 16, 2010 @ 6:34 am

Mmmm…YES to sweet corn! Can’t wait for summer– I eat it like nothing else!

Super excited for fit bloggin’!!!

Nicole @ making good choices — March 16, 2010 @ 6:43 am

Ahh yum I need to try and make my own salsa I can’t believe I haven’t yet! I love how you added avocado I need to try this this weekend :)

Erica — March 16, 2010 @ 6:43 am

Confession: I am a salsa addict. I eat it on my salads, with veggies, with chips, you name it! I also love avocado and this looks amazing. I love when avocados get real cheap at the food store- nothing like some delicious, healthy fats. nom nom.

Sarah — March 16, 2010 @ 6:44 am

Yum! Your recipes are always so easy and delicious looking! I can’t wait to try this salsa.

Natalie — March 16, 2010 @ 6:50 am

This looks so delicious! I agree sweet corn is the best thing ever. Paired with avocados sound delicious. Paired with blue corn tortilla chips sounds even better than that!!!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — March 16, 2010 @ 6:50 am

Oh yum girl!!!! I make a corn/avocado/tomato salad that is a LOT like that, you would LOVE it! If you ever want the recipe, send me an e-mail!

Sophie @ yumventures — March 16, 2010 @ 6:52 am

I have a tortilla chip obsession which I have never been able to rehab! I think this salsa might just make it worse — it looks amazing! I think its horrible how expensive avocados are, even when I was a kid I would try “growing” an avocado tree. It never worked! Thanks for this great recipe.

Kristi Rimkus — March 16, 2010 @ 6:58 am

I’m a big chips and salsa fan. I love the combination of ingredients you’ve used in your salsa. Bright colors. I bet the salsa looked terrific with the blue corn chips!

Elizabeth — March 16, 2010 @ 6:58 am

This look delicious! I love any type of salsa or guac!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — March 16, 2010 @ 7:03 am

That salad sounds great … especially because it has cilantro in it. I adore cilantro. Most people I know hate it, but it is my love.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 16, 2010 @ 7:08 am

This looks delicious!!!

I don’t think I’ve ever met someone who does not like chips and salsa! You’re the first!!!

• Jessica — March 16th, 2010 @ 7:10 am

Oh I like them, it’s just not one of my go-to snacks!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — March 16, 2010 @ 7:27 am

Looks fab! I make a similar thing with black beans in it too!

Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES — March 16, 2010 @ 7:37 am

oooh im currently in blue corn chip addiction mode. the garden of eatin spicy ones are ridiculous. oh, im also a salsa addict. like it eat it straight from the jar. sooo this might be on my agenda.

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — March 16, 2010 @ 7:38 am

Yum, I love corn salsas like this! I can’t wait until summer so my avocado tree will start producing fruit. I will definitely be making this recipe! :)

• Jessica — March 16th, 2010 @ 7:40 am

Jessie – You have an avocado tree?! Can I come live with you??

Heather (Heather's Dish) — March 16, 2010 @ 7:40 am

oh man, chips and anything sounds good to me :) i LOVE guac and i LOVE sweet corn, so I think this is going to be a big winner for me!

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — March 16, 2010 @ 7:45 am

This looks like a great summer dish! I pureed up some avocado for our baby last week and he didn’t like it! That saddens me deeply…but I will try again!

Oh my gosh, I didn’t realize you were from the Burgh! I lived there for 2 years (grad school) and loved it! Geez, like I needed another reason to love your blog ;)

have a great day!

~Christie

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — March 16, 2010 @ 7:51 am

I actually have two avocado trees! You can come anytime, but be warned, they are FL avocados and not the Haas variety. Larger and much less creamy, but still delicious. :)

kay (eating machine) — March 16, 2010 @ 7:56 am

avocados keep going on sale 2 for a buck around here. which means i can’t stop buying them. love avocado

Jenny — March 16, 2010 @ 8:03 am

Margaritas, chips and salsa and I are bffs! Haha, love this recipe!

Liz Marr, MS, RD — March 16, 2010 @ 8:15 am

I love corn salsa. I usually make mine with black beans. The next time, I’m adding avocado. Yum!

Kelly Winn — March 16, 2010 @ 8:17 am

I love chips and salsa, but I usually only eat them at a restaurant or a party. I actually think this salsa would be delicious to bring to a party sometime :)

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 16, 2010 @ 9:08 am

This salsa looks great! I’m addicted to UTZ white corn chips….so salty…..so good!

Julie — March 16, 2010 @ 9:19 am

that looks really good. bring some this weekend.
    ;)

Sarah — March 16, 2010 @ 9:24 am

I do love tortillas chips as well. I have gotten lucky lately because avocados have been on sale.

This salsa has so many colors and taste. Great combination!

Miranda — March 16, 2010 @ 9:39 am

My mom made a salsa like this. She added a vingerette. It was odd, but sooo good.

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers — March 16, 2010 @ 9:49 am

this looks great! i bet it would be good on top of chicken, fish or steak too!

Nicole, RD — March 16, 2010 @ 10:02 am

I love corn salsa….mmmm mm! Looks great, Jess! I love blue corn chips, too!

Anne — March 16, 2010 @ 10:06 am

I’ve never had and never SEEN a blue corn chip in my life :D

but… that salsa looks heavenly. I love sweet corn too and with red onion. Well, I could eat those everyday and be happy. Even better if you add avocade to it ;)

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} — March 16, 2010 @ 10:07 am

That looks delicious! I . corn in salsa

Melissa — March 16, 2010 @ 10:17 am

I’m not really into sugary sweets (besides cupcakes). But give me chips and salsa any day! Yesterday when I was stuck working from home, I kept checking the cabinets in hopes of finding a bag of tortilla chips…no matter how stale! This salsa looks AWESOME! :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — March 16, 2010 @ 10:35 am

So many veggies today! I looooove sweet corn! I can’t wait for grilling season…

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — March 16, 2010 @ 10:39 am

I adore corn salsa – and this looks so yummy! The flavors sounds so fresh – I’m daydreaming about warmer weather now!

The Chocolate Lady — March 16, 2010 @ 10:51 am

Im a salsa fanatic, and that looks perfect for summer! YUM!!

I have a chocolate blog with a great give away this week…I think you might like it :) thechocolateladyblog.blogspot

april — March 16, 2010 @ 11:03 am

Avocado and corn is one of the yummiest combos!

Jenna — March 16, 2010 @ 11:07 am

Avocado’s are a major weak spot for this lady. The buttery taste just does me in. I bet the corn & avocado combo goes great together, kind of like a buttery corn. :)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — March 16, 2010 @ 11:08 am

That looks so good…I can definitely see how that would be addicting! YUM!

Kacy — March 16, 2010 @ 11:28 am

Ahh looks so fresh. I need summer NOW!

Pure2Raw Twins — March 16, 2010 @ 12:10 pm

Salsa looks great. love all the colors!!!

Heather (Where's the Beach) — March 16, 2010 @ 1:12 pm

MMMM, reminds me of summer. I love making a very similar salsa when all the veggies are growing. I usually add in black beans. Also makes a great filling for quesadillas. Now I’m hungry.

CooknBookn — March 16, 2010 @ 1:17 pm

Love that combo – you pics brings summer to my cold house. I make a similar one but instead of lemon juice I use limeand add some cumin for flavor and black beans as the mood strikes me. Thanks.

Courtney Montague — March 16, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

Next time, try adding a can of black beans (drained) and some minced garlic. YUM!

CookiePie — March 16, 2010 @ 1:36 pm

Oh wow – that looks so delicious and refreshing!!

Cheryl — March 16, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

yum! and spring like too! my friend makes something similar and adds black beans – give it a try!

Biz — March 16, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

I thought for sure I was at the wrong blog when I saw vegetables – and that you tried roasted red peppers?? You must have a fever!

I didn’t like any vegetable other than cucumbers . . . until I was 35 – so there is hope for you yet!

homecookedem — March 16, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

This makes me want a margarita to go along with it! Looks so good!!

Stephanie — March 16, 2010 @ 2:46 pm

Yay for gettin’ your veg on, this looks delicious! Can’t wait for Fitbloggin this weekend :D

Lisa — March 16, 2010 @ 2:58 pm

What a great looking salsa! I am yet to find blue corn chips in Australia :(

janetha — March 16, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

LOVE corn salsas. TJs makes a good one but i bet your home-made one is even better!

1. Pingback: Gardening’s Most Valuable Advice | Taplins Gardens