I am easily excited.

Give me 4-inch heels, a chocolate bacon bar, elastic-waistband sweatpants, and a large dumpster in which I can toss Mr. How Sweet’s 90′s CD’s and stuffed turkey out the window, and I am more than a happy camper.

Give me a unique, exciting, sweet recipe, and I am thrilled.

The only thing that makes it better, is adding ‘easy’ to the list.

This one-pot soup can be made in 15 minutes, and is ready to serve in an hour. It is perfect for dessert!

Mr. How Sweet took one look at this soup and was intrigued.

You can’t help but be intrigued by the vibrant color.

It is sayin’ something though, since Mr. How Sweet is selective in the foods he chooses to eat.

He isn’t picky. He just selects what he thinks is appropriate to eat.

For example, mall chinese food is high on his list. He claims since it is full of protein, he can eat a lot of it.

Meat lovers pizza? More protein. Bring it on.

Whole wheat berry muffins? Whole wheat + fruit = healthy, so he can eat 14 of them.

Avocado? Not on the list. It’s green.

Anything labeled ‘vegan?’ Also doesn’t make the cut.

Low-sugar creamsicles? He’s eaten 5 of them since I started this post.

Perhaps he should write a book on his rationale?

To think that this pureed bowl of fruity goodness did make the cut?

Well, its a pretty big deal.

A big, delicious deal.

I can only describe this soup with one word – delightful.

It’s not too sweet and just bursts with blueberry flavor. I have rarely eaten a cold soup, and I must say that I loved it.

It makes for an impressive, fabulous, light dessert.

And not to mention, it is very versatile. Serve it with a side of ice cream!

Blueberry Soup

from epicurious

1 1-pound bag frozen unsweetened blueberries
1 cup water
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 lemon, cut in wedges

Add all ingredients in a saucepan and let come to a bowl. Stir until sugar dissolves. Reduce to a simmer and let thicken and blueberries get soft.

Remove lemon wedges and blend soup – I used an immersion blender, but you can also transfer it to a blender. Refrigerate for at least once hour until chilled.

Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or over ice cream.

Mr. How Sweet says ‘blueberries are good for you. They are full of antioxidants. Eat the soup.’

You heard him. Eat the soup.

65 Responses to “Blueberry Soup.”

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 28, 2010 @ 5:31 am

Oooooh, what a great summer dessert!!!

And mall chinese food is full of something…not sure that it’s protein though. :-)

• Jessica — April 28th, 2010 @ 5:32 am

I could not agree more.

MelissaNibbles — April 28, 2010 @ 5:32 am

At first I thought this was a smoothie in a bowl and was like, meh, but after reading the recipe, I want it NOW!!

Erica — April 28, 2010 @ 5:33 am

YUM! I want to make it…but with blackberries (Josh has a thing against blueberries…maybe he and Mr. How Sweet can write their book of what you should and shouldn’t eat together haha).

Thanks for your sweet compliments ;)

• Jessica — April 28th, 2010 @ 5:35 am

I think it would be great with blackberries! Love the flavor, just not the seeds. :)

Diana — April 28, 2010 @ 5:36 am

Oh yum, that sounds and looks so delicious. Perfect for the summer!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 28, 2010 @ 5:43 am

i would be more than happy to read a book on mr. how sweet’s rationale ;) blueberry soup looks EXACTLY like something i need to make! maybe for breakfast with some beignets on the side? i think so!

Jenny — April 28, 2010 @ 5:44 am

Wow! That’s a really amazing recipe! YUM!

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — April 28, 2010 @ 5:49 am

Mr. How Sweet sounds like such a character. Cracks me up in the morning. Theat soup looks fantastic. I bet it would be good over those healthy berry muffins you had up the other day too…if they were warmed up a bit and had a dabble of ice cream.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — April 28, 2010 @ 5:56 am

Yum, Yum, Yum!!! This looks perfect for the summer!

I bet you can freeze them into popsicles!

I have a couple of thoughts on this post.

1) Mall chinese food is gross.

2) You should write a Book/Cookbook about Mr. How Sweet ;)

Wei-Wei — April 28, 2010 @ 6:02 am

Sounds sort of like blueberry jam soup – I love blueberry jam, so… YUM! :D

There wasn’t as much sugar as I though there would be in this recipe, so that’s good, I guess? Doesn’t interfere with those good old antioxidants… All the more reason to have some more! :D

Wei-Wei

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — April 28, 2010 @ 6:06 am

What a great recipe! And mall chinese food is kind of scary….

Erica — April 28, 2010 @ 6:06 am

mmmmm! Looks great and seems so easy to make. Since your husband says to eat, I am down ha!

sian-girlgetstrong — April 28, 2010 @ 6:13 am

yummy-o! I love me some blueberries..can’t wait until they are in season here!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — April 28, 2010 @ 6:14 am

Oh yum! I love blueberries! Looks delicious! Ok, question, would you be wearing the heels and sweat pants while eating the bacon chocolate bar? For some reason, I think only you could pull that off!

• Jessica — April 28th, 2010 @ 6:21 am

LOL! I totally thought that’s what it sounded like as I proofread the post. I’m going to go with…maybe. :)

Maria — April 28, 2010 @ 6:21 am

Love the bright color! I always stock up when blueberries are on sale!

Nicole @ making good choices — April 28, 2010 @ 6:29 am

Another thing I would never think to make! This would go perfectly with my almost daily bowl of ice cream, and wouldmake it even healthier ;) I also think mr.howsweet should write a book! :)

casey — April 28, 2010 @ 6:33 am

when i saw the first picture i was like omg someone made blueberry dumpling like my grandmother does….. the i read the title got a bit disappointed then intrigued…..now i can’t wait for my families blueberry bushes to hurry up and give me some blueberries! this will be so good on a hot day….

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — April 28, 2010 @ 6:34 am

Ooo, so gluten free! I’m trying it! Thanks girl!

Pure2raw twins — April 28, 2010 @ 6:48 am

The soup intrigues me too! The color is beautiful! Perfect treat for a hot sunny day.

Jenna — April 28, 2010 @ 6:48 am

This just screams amazing. I think we all need to listen to Mr. How Sweet on this one, I don’t think there would be any complaints. :)

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — April 28, 2010 @ 7:11 am

This sounds so good.. and refreshing! I crave berries like crazy as it starts to get warmer.. ok fine.. I crave ice cream too :p

My Delicious — April 28, 2010 @ 7:25 am

wow! what a great idea for such soup! and with these ice cream…

Camille — April 28, 2010 @ 7:29 am

What a delicious and original idea! I will definitely be trying it :)

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — April 28, 2010 @ 7:41 am

hahaha Mr. How Sweets rationale sounds very similar to my boyfriends idea of healthy and portion size. I enjoyed this post and the blueberry soup looks awesome!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — April 28, 2010 @ 8:11 am

We lived in Sweden when I was younger and we used to eat blåbär soppa all the time!

Annie — April 28, 2010 @ 8:21 am

Oh, my aunt makes a similar version that is less sweet, more savory. The color is so gorgeous!

Also, I secretly love mall chinese food as well. I’m trying to cut back.

adrienmelaine — April 28, 2010 @ 8:35 am

The blueberry soup looks delish! It could also be amazing on waffles- or pancakes- or in oatmeal.. It could be used a lot of different ways!

I love that the hubs isn’t into avocado due to the fact it’s green- he shouldn’t like football either- that’s played on green.

Kacy — April 28, 2010 @ 9:01 am

I love that it’s “mall chinese food” and not just regular chinese food. He’s got his reasons I’m sure.

Looks so amazingly good!

PippaPatchwork — April 28, 2010 @ 9:09 am

That is such a unique dessert idea–thanks for sharing!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — April 28, 2010 @ 9:50 am

Blueberries are my favorite…this is going to be a GREAT summer treat! Thank YOU!

Anne — April 28, 2010 @ 10:38 am

This reminds me of my mum and grandmum who used to make this when I was a child, good memories!

Hallie — April 28, 2010 @ 10:45 am

This would be awesome in the winter, or sometime when the berries aren’t good but you’re craving them! Love it.

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — April 28, 2010 @ 10:46 am

My first thought was, “That would be sooo good on ice cream!” — then I scrolled down and saw that you share my brilliance. :D

Jenn

Jil — April 28, 2010 @ 10:49 am

Oooo love this.

Abby — April 28, 2010 @ 10:52 am

You can bring THIS saturday night :)

april — April 28, 2010 @ 10:52 am

Oh that looks awesome!! I bet it would be delicious drizzled over yogurt or oats too!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — April 28, 2010 @ 10:53 am

hahaah i laughed at the low sugar creamsicles that he has eaten 5 of before you finished posting

hey, mall chinese food IS high in protein ;)
    that looks SO beyond delicious! you could top that on anything! ice cream, muffins, or just eat it out of the bowl!! I bet it would amazing with raspberries too!

Cascia @ Healthy Moms — April 28, 2010 @ 11:09 am

I love blueberries and they are so good for you! This looks like a great recipe.

Lara (Thinspired) — April 28, 2010 @ 11:57 am

What a unique recipe, and so perfect for summer. Thank you for sharing this! I think anything served with a side of ice cream is pretty much perfection :)

Midgetkeeper — April 28, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

You’ve done it again! This looks sooo good.

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — April 28, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

I totally thought the soup was sangria in the first picture! Hmmm… perhaps the soup could use a little gran marnier or cointreau? :)

Daisy — April 28, 2010 @ 1:04 pm

this looks so pretty. I really do want to make it.

homecookedem — April 28, 2010 @ 1:07 pm

What a beautiful blueberry soup! We just planted blueberry bushes in our backyard. We are blueberry fanatics!!

Nicole, RD — April 28, 2010 @ 1:58 pm

YUM! I wonder if you could add some gelatin and make it custard-y! It looks wonderful!

Kare — April 28, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

Ha! Love the rationale. Sounds like some of my methods of reasoning.

This looks terrific. I’d love to try it with fresh blueberries when they’re in season. Yum, yum, yum.

Evan — April 28, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

I’m so intrigued by this recipe! I am definitely going to have to try it.. do you think you could do it with other fruits too like blackberries maybe??

• Jessica — April 28th, 2010 @ 2:40 pm

Definitely! I think it would taste great, I just wouldn’t like the seeds!

Katharine — April 28, 2010 @ 2:35 pm

I’m not a blueberry lover but even I want to try this. Wow!

Julia @ British Bride — April 28, 2010 @ 2:55 pm

Loving your blog – love blueberries too – a very yummy superfood! Will try this out. Cheers.

Julia
    British Bride

Sara @ Fro Yo Foodie — April 28, 2010 @ 4:17 pm

Yum! I love fruit soup. When I was growing up my mom would occasionally made a Swedish fruit soup for dessert. It was QUITE different though–apples, raisins, apricots, currants, cinnamon and prunes!

Katie — April 28, 2010 @ 4:49 pm

Oh my gosh, how easy is that?!! I want it right now.

Cassie — April 28, 2010 @ 5:31 pm

This looks amazing! I really want to try it with raspberries!