I never thought this day would come.

They day when I combined a sweet indulge with a. . .vegetable.

Someone take my temperature. I think I’m dying.

Sure, I have had carrot cake or carrot cupcakes before from a restaurant. They are usually super sweet with cream cheese icing that is so delicious that it hurts my teeth.

But, to actually make the dessert at home myself?

I mean, vegetables give me the heebie jeebies.

Every time I purchase them, I break into a cold sweat. The only thing that cures me is a few brownies, a slice of cheesecake, and a vodka tonic.

When I saw the carrot cake cookies in the newest issue of Bon Appetit, I knew I must try them.

I left out the walnuts and raisins, because – let’s be honest – having a vegetable in my cookie is enough. I don’t need some dried fruit and healthy fat.

(I also really am not a fan of raisins or nuts in my cookies. Duh.)

I loved how these cookies turned out.

They have a cake-like texture and are not super sweet. The cream cheese icing adds just the perfect amount of decadence.

Carrot Cake Cookies

slightly adapted from Bon Appetite

makes about 30 cookies

1/4 cup rolled oats

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 large egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup grated carrots

1 1/2 cups self-rising flour

1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.

Place oats in a bowl with 1/4 cup of water. Let soak until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Beat butter and sugars in a mixing bowl until fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla, then carrots. Add flour and cinnamon until combined. Fold in oats.

Drop batter by tablespoon onto baking sheet. Baked for 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely before frosting.

1 cup powdered sugar

6 oz cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 tablespoons heavy cream

Cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add in remaining ingredients and beat until smooth. Spread on cookies.

Now who wants the remaining carrots in my fridge?

Because we all know I won’t be eating those.

59 Responses to “Carrot Cake Cookies.”

Anne P — April 18, 2010 @ 8:21 am

Katie (Sweet Tater) — April 18, 2010 @ 8:22 am

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) — April 18, 2010 @ 8:23 am

You know how much I LOVE carrot cake :)

I made CC cookies once using a lot of almonds. I ate the whole pan. I have yet to make them again haha.

adrienmelaine — April 18, 2010 @ 8:23 am

These look amazing- I think I would have added the nuts and raisins though- I always like to pretend that my cookies are more like granola bars.. even when they’re loaded with chocolate chips!

Taylor — April 18, 2010 @ 8:30 am

That last picture got my mouth watering!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 18, 2010 @ 8:36 am

Carrot cake is one of my favorites, hands down. Love.

Diana — April 18, 2010 @ 8:40 am

These look and sound really good. And they seem like they’re easy to make which is always a plus :D

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — April 18, 2010 @ 8:40 am

Oh my. I LOVE carrot cake and so these are a must try!!!
    As for the leftover carrots, I hate them raw too but have you tried carrot fries? I SWEAR they actually taste nothing like carrots. So good. This coming from someone who didn’t eat carrots for like 20 years.

Biz — April 18, 2010 @ 8:54 am

You must have a temperature if you are eating vegetables!! My subscription must have run out of Bon Appetit – but have you checked out http://www.projectfoodie.com? They have 20+ cooking magazine recipes – I am in heaven!!

Hope you had a great weekend!

Ashley — April 18, 2010 @ 9:23 am

Yummm…my sis in law tried the pistachio nut butter and loved it! I’m making roasted maple almond butter right now too! Can’t wait to see how it turns out =) Making cookies like these is just asking for me to eat 1/2 the batch. I’ve already eaten WAY too many blueberry muffins in like 2 days…I think about 7 of them? I’m cut off ;)

Erica — April 18, 2010 @ 9:40 am

hahahhahah. You always manage to crack me up :) I don’t really like nuts in cookies either. I dunno, they always throw things off. The carrot cookies look yummy- glad you gave them a go

Sarah.j.s. — April 18, 2010 @ 9:44 am

Nah, me neither. Don’t like nuts in cookies either. Or brownies. Stay out of my brownies please.

The cookies look great! I so love to have a fingerful of that icing right now.

Jil — April 18, 2010 @ 9:58 am

Ohhh, these look awesome – love the little specks in the cookies from the carrots!

Evan Thomas — April 18, 2010 @ 10:19 am

I’ll take the carrots and the cookies ;-)
    These look delicious. I like to add pineapple or raisins or walnuts to mind, or all 3 if I feel like a pig. I love how no matter what you use they come out so moist

homecookedem — April 18, 2010 @ 10:47 am

I love carrot cake, but haven’t ever had carrot cake cookies. These are making my mouth water!! You know what I would do with ’em? I’d make double doozies which are cookie sandwiches. Put a huge glob of icing between two of the cookies, mmmmmmm!! Yep, I’m sounding like a little piggy now, hehe! ;) snort snort! :)

Midgetkeeper — April 18, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Love carrot cake, I bet the cookie form is just as delicious.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers — April 18, 2010 @ 11:50 am

Those sound great! I love not-so-sweet things that are topped with something sweet like frosting..mmmm. The little flecks of orange make them so pretty too…even if it is because of a vegetable;)

MelissaNibbles — April 18, 2010 @ 11:56 am

Delicious! I would add raisins to them though to make them extra sweet. YUM!

Katie — April 18, 2010 @ 11:57 am

Oooh I’ll take these cookies AND your extra carrots. ;-) I love cookies that are cakey…these look perfect! Also, your nachos from the last post – holy yum. I’ve got to make them soon.

Anne — April 18, 2010 @ 12:15 pm

I could take the carrots AND the cookies ;)

kathy@polwig.com — April 18, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

That looks really good… Martha Stewart has a really nice carrot cookie recipe also.. she takes 2 of them and puts frosting inside.

Jessica Lee — April 18, 2010 @ 12:42 pm

I think it’s hilarious how you are so fit but you love your sweets and hate veggies. How do you do it girl? Haha!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) — April 18, 2010 @ 1:39 pm

How many carrots did you use to make 1 cup?

• Jessica — April 18th, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

You know, I didn’t realize most people buy carrots and grate them, and I ended up buying shredded carrots. I just chopped them very finely – I probably used about a 1/2 cup of those. I will definitely grate whole carrots next time, I just didn’t read the recipe before buying the carrots!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — April 18, 2010 @ 1:53 pm

Those look fabulous! The only problem would be not eating all in one sitting!!!

Cheryl Cormier — April 18, 2010 @ 2:03 pm

Ahh, these seem so much better than carrot cake! We never finish the thing as it’s too big for 2 of us, especially where my husband is the only one that really likes it. Can’t wait to try these for him – and he can take the rest to work!

Susan — April 18, 2010 @ 2:31 pm

Carrot cake is my favourite cake of all time. But cookies are probably my favourite dessert of all time. You know where I’m going with this ;)

april — April 18, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

Haha you are so funny about your veggies! I love carrot cake but I never liked the cream cheese frosting.. I bet peanut butter would be good on it! LOL

Kait — April 18, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

Oh man those sound/look delicious! I wish I had seen the recipe before I left for the store because I would totally make them right now…next time I go I’ll do it!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — April 18, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

These look so good, I def would never think to make cookies out of carrots, but I love carrot muffins and bread so I’ll have to try. YUM…good job getting your veges in!

Amanda — April 18, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

Brilliant!! Now why didnt I think of that?? You done good girl. And well done on leaving out the nuts and raisins. Thats what monster cookies are for.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 18, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

i’m making these this week. that’s all :)

Jennifer (take the day off) — April 18, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

I was reading Bon Appetit on the elliptical at the gym the other day (ironic?) and actually pulled that recipe out so I could make those delicious cookies myself. I’m so glad to know they turned out so well, but then again, what isn’t good covered in cream cheese frosting…

Pure2raw twins — April 18, 2010 @ 6:29 pm

Yum I love anything carrot cake ; )

Kris | iheartwellness.com — April 18, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

Haha! You are too funny! I am not a fan of nuts in my cookies either. Unless it is ground up almonds as my flour ;)

These looks so tasty!! THank you for another wonderful recipe!

Sara — April 18, 2010 @ 7:00 pm

oh.my.goodness these look sooo tasty! I saw some boxed carrot cake cookies for sale in TJ Maxx the other day (yes, I did say TJ Maxx) and thought it was the most creative idea! we have carrot cake, why not the same in cookie form? :-)

I’m a brand new blogger and am enjoying reading yours!

Lisa — April 18, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

oooh I love carrot cake but have never tried carrot cake COOKIES – they look great :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 18, 2010 @ 7:43 pm

Haha, I love carrot cake, so I think I would love these!!!

How is the book coming? I want to read it NOW!! You are so funny :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 18, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

girl so sorry bout the power
    when i read that i about gasped that you were commenting from your crackberry!!??? OMG that’s dedication.
    Sub 25 was going good for me all day..then, after i post, i feel the pressure to make the rounds. Sigh.
    This week, going to keep working at it…you too! xo

Lauren (Health on the Run) — April 18, 2010 @ 8:03 pm

These look amazing!! Carrot cake is one of my all time favorite desserts, so I can’t wait to make these — WITH the raisins and nuts. ;) The way I see it, the more stuff I can add into carrot cake, the better (carrots, raisins, nuts, pineapple, coconut….etc haha)

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — April 18, 2010 @ 8:03 pm

I love carrot cake, especially the cream cheese frosting part. ;) These look awesome. YUM

Nicole, RD — April 18, 2010 @ 8:09 pm

Haha, make more cookies and send them to me! These look amazing – will be making! Guaranteed! I had another Tropical Avocado Smoothie this morning…LOVE!

kate — April 18, 2010 @ 9:07 pm

Haha I love your aversion to veggies! Im not a huge nut in baked goods fan either!

liane — April 18, 2010 @ 9:42 pm

While the cookies look amazing, I lost my train of thought when I read “cream cheese” in the icing ingredient list. Um, I could seriously just eat creamcheese icing all day. :)

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — April 19, 2010 @ 3:13 am

CARROT IN A COOKIE?!?!! haha just kdiding these sound FABULOUS I think that I would keep the nuts, they add a bit of a rich buttery flavor, but of course as soon as you shove those in my face, I am sure I wouldn’t want to change them one bit!!

these look SO beyond delicious!

Blond Duck — April 19, 2010 @ 4:20 am

Dude, I would have loaded on a lot more cream cheese icing.

The Candid RD — April 19, 2010 @ 4:34 am

I want THEM!! Their sweetness comes out when you cook them, which is my favorite way to eat carrots, by far. Well, unless they are in carrot cake or carrot cake cookies, YUM!

Shannon — April 19, 2010 @ 5:16 am

Those look so good! I love carrot cake, and am quite sure I would love it in cookie form too :) The cream cheese icing puts them over the top!

(I don’t like nuts in my cookies, breads, or brownies either)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — April 19, 2010 @ 5:29 am

Nice! I’m with you…I am not a fan of baked fruit in my cookies…it reminds me of fruit cake which makes me want to gag.

p.s. I’ll take those carrots off your hands so I can make a batch of your cookies.

Erica — April 19, 2010 @ 7:04 am

I love carrot cake and carrot cake cookies sound amazing! I am saving this recipe!

Barbara Bakes — April 19, 2010 @ 8:21 am

I loved this post! We’re not great veggie eaters at our house either. Although I’m getting better. I do like carrot cake and I’m sure these cookies would get gobbled up quickly at our house. I’d add the raisins though.

1. Pingback: Carrot Cake Cookies - - Network Panda – cPanel Web hosting, PHP, MySQL, unlimited disk space and bandwidth