I love seafood.

I love it even more when it’s mixed with bacon and cheese.

I love quesadillas.

Why not combine all of that into one tasty treat?

I used my favorite tortillas – La Tortilla Factory.

Not only are they loaded with protein and fiber, they taste delicious. They are also soft and chewy. Perfect, in my opinion!

The avocado and pineapple give the quesadilla’s a bit of a tropical taste.

And the bacon. . .

Well, I think we all know what I think about the bacon.

Like everything else, I garnish my quesadillas with limes.

We love limes. We always have a ton of them, just hanging around our house.

I’m sure it doesn’t have anything to do with the 3 handles of Ketel One in our bar.

When it comes to the crabmeat, don’t skimp. Buy the good stuff. None of that imitation garbage.

I promise you will thank me.

Crab Avocado Quesadillas

inspired by Canyon Ranch

Serves 1

2 whole wheat tortillas

2 oz lump crab meat

1 slice bacon, fried and crumbled

2 slices avocado, chopped

1 tablespoon chopped shallots

1/4 cup low-fat, shredded mozzarella cheese

1 slice pineapple, chopped

Combine all ingredients, except for tortillas and cheese in a bowl.

Heat a skillet on medium heat and spray with cooking spray. Assemble tortillas with ingredients in between. Make sure there is cheese on both the bottom of one tortilla and the top of the crabmeat mixture to act as ‘glue.’

Brown tortilla on both sides until cheese is melted.

Thanks so much for all of your well wishes for Mr. How Sweet! He is still a bit sickly, and I fed him popsicles all night.

When he finally comes to and realizes how little protein he has had, he is going to have a cow.

Literally.

72 Responses to “Crab Avocado Quesadillas.”

Ashley — April 15, 2010 @ 6:30 am

can you please make this for me when i come visit? PLEASE!

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — April 15, 2010 @ 6:30 am

oh my gosh those sound wonderful! I absolutely LOVE crab!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete — April 15, 2010 @ 6:31 am

Oh my gosh! This looks absolutely amazing. You have combined my 3 loves: bacon, avocado, and crab. Yum. I will definitely be trying this!

I hope your hubs feels better!! ;)

Whit — April 15, 2010 @ 6:32 am

I’ve been loading up the protein lately. I feel a little bit like Mr. How Sweet, but I think he may be onto something. I’ve also lost 4lbs.

• Jessica — April 15th, 2010 @ 7:22 am

Go Whit! That is awesome!!! :)

Jil — April 15, 2010 @ 6:46 am

I know I say it allll the time, but this looks amazing!! I bet the crab and avocado just melt in your mouth. Yum, yum, yum – this will be making an appearance during my dinner…soon…or basically whenever I can get my butt into gear and find some a decent place to buy seafood!

Stephanie — April 15, 2010 @ 6:46 am

what a perfect summer recipe, looks so good! agreed on the crab too, don’t skimp (i can’t even do crab claw meat, jumbo lump is the way to go!)

so glad Mr. HSweet is doing better :) get the steaks ready for his arrival home haha!

Jessica — April 15, 2010 @ 6:51 am

These look AMAZING! I love crab, I love avocado and I LOVE bacon!!! I can’t wait to try these!!!!! Thanks so much for the recipe!!! YUMMY!!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 15, 2010 @ 6:57 am

Cool – I have never seen a quesadilla with seafood in it. Great idea!

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — April 15, 2010 @ 7:11 am

I am totally making these this weekend!! It’s only 10am, but I wish I could reach out and taste my computer monitor right now. My co-workers would think I went off the deep end.

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — April 15, 2010 @ 7:12 am

Um WOW.

So…I’ve never actually bought crab. Where do I get it?? Is it precooked?

• Jessica — April 15th, 2010 @ 7:46 am

Do you have a seafood counter in your grocery store? Mine is right now from the meat counter/butcher.

I buy lump crab in a can, it is already cooked, yes!

vanillasugar — April 15, 2010 @ 7:14 am

i’m with you i think this is the perfect way to fill up and get that protein. not to mention it looks so good.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 15, 2010 @ 7:19 am

i can’t find La Tortilla anywhere! to be honest it’s not like i’ve searched hi and low, but still, when i do they are nowhere to be found…that’s not going to stop me from making these quesadillas though…

on another note i’m glad Mr. How Sweet is feeling better than yesterday, but definitely hoping that he keeps healing!

• Jessica — April 15th, 2010 @ 7:55 am

What’s odd is that mine are not in the section where most tortilla’s are. The other tortilla’s are in the cold section by the cheese. These ones are in the worldwide food section near the other Mexican food!

Tracy — April 15, 2010 @ 7:27 am

I don’t think we have La Tortilla but I’ll be on the lookout for it because I’m not really a fan of the tortillas we buy. I love the combination of flavors though; it looks like a satisfying lunch or even a snack!

MelissaNibbles — April 15, 2010 @ 7:29 am

Delicious! I love crab!

Erica — April 15, 2010 @ 7:32 am

Fabulous! I spray my tortillas too vs. frying them in oil. I like them soo much better that way!! I’ve never put crab in my quesadillasa- I will be trying that for Joshers soon! Happy Thursday

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — April 15, 2010 @ 7:36 am

Ha! This totally reminds me of the crab avocado quesdillas they serve at one of our favorite restaurants, Granite City. I’ve never had them there, but they always look so good!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 15, 2010 @ 7:45 am

Beautiful presentation!!!

Cara — April 15, 2010 @ 7:46 am

How yummy! Love the addition of pineapple here.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — April 15, 2010 @ 7:55 am

Holy. Crap. That sounds AMAZING! And I don’t usually say that about anything except chocolate…

Abby (Nibble, Nourish, Run) — April 15, 2010 @ 8:00 am

Well of course LOVE the bacon…but also love the avocado and pineapple! Bet it gives them such an awesome creamy, tangy flavor…YUM!

Anne — April 15, 2010 @ 8:17 am

YUMMY. Do I need to say more? :D

Biz — April 15, 2010 @ 8:17 am

Do you know that Trader Joe’s sells canned crab meat for $7.99 a pound? It’s not lump, but claw meat, but it’s still pretty good.

Love the addition of pineapple! I am putting this on my lunch menu next week – thanks!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — April 15, 2010 @ 8:28 am

I’m thinking Mr. How Sweets needs himself a Buffy marathon to go along with his popsicles…

Midgetkeeper — April 15, 2010 @ 8:33 am

This sounds so good. I love crab, reminds me so much of home. My Husband isn’t a fan of seafood, so I never make it. It’s a shame because I go to the wharf in Newport (5 minutes away)and pick up fresh seafood straight from the local waters at any time. My parents bought some lobster last time they were here and my Mom made it at home, delicious.

I am missing out.

Blond Duck — April 15, 2010 @ 8:38 am

I LOVE these! Why didn’t I ever think of them! I love the La Tortilla tortillas..I eat the wheat ones all the time! I’ll have to do fish or tuna instead of crab because of the whole allergic to shellfish thing…hmmm…decisions, decisions….

Sophie @ yumventures — April 15, 2010 @ 9:17 am

I am literally drooling over these. Yummmmm! Do you have a favorite brand of crab meat?

• Jessica — April 18th, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

The only brand of lump crabmeat my store carries is Great Blue – it is really good! :)

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} — April 15, 2010 @ 10:13 am

They sound and look delicious! I love seafood too :)

Tricia — April 15, 2010 @ 10:18 am

skip the bacon and I’m sold. Yum!

Erica — April 15, 2010 @ 10:22 am

I LOVE quesadillas too!!
    I just made a bean and veggie one for lunch today with a few slices of avocado, however this may kick my quesadilla butt haha:)
    Question? What kind of crab meat did you use?

• Jessica — April 18th, 2010 @ 2:20 pm

I buy a brand called ‘Great Blue’ lump crabmeat. It’s near my seafood counter!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — April 15, 2010 @ 11:07 am

I think you just wrapped up my favorite things in my favorite wrap and made a meal out of it. Can I come live with you? Mr. How Sweet and Mr. KD can board together in life of toy cars and Xbox. They would probably love it, but starve.

Diana — April 15, 2010 @ 11:11 am

That sounds and looks SO GOOD. Again, your blog is dangerous :D I love it.

Kelly — April 15, 2010 @ 11:11 am

Ah! Finally a tasty delight I could actually on the regular of without my giant ass returning! I’ve never had crab but this may have convinced to try it, looks super delicious

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — April 15, 2010 @ 11:31 am

Oh my goodness that looks incredible! I’ve never had crab in a quesadilla but as soon as I saw avocado in the title of this post I knew it was going to be good.

kathy@polwig.com — April 15, 2010 @ 11:52 am

Thank goodness there is no shrimp but crab. I am so tired of shrimp quesadillas.

PippaPatchwork — April 15, 2010 @ 11:54 am

The warmer weather definitely puts me in the mood for fish! I actually made fish tacos this apst weekend. Your quesadillas look delish!

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness — April 15, 2010 @ 12:39 pm

I’m going to have to stop reading your blog now that I’ve started dieting down again.. I just want to eat it all.. now! :p

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — April 15, 2010 @ 12:41 pm

Those look fantabulous! I can practucally taste them. I don’t think I’ve ever purchased lump cramp meat before. What brand should I buy?!

• Jessica — April 18th, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

I buy a brand called ‘Great Blue’ lump crabmeat. It comes in a blue/gray can near my seafood counter!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — April 15, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

YUMM i have never thought to combine seafood into cheesey delicious quesadillas!! i love this idea!!! more exciiting than fish tacos for sure!
    la tortilla tortillas are awesome!! i love the texture and douughyness of them!

homecookedem — April 15, 2010 @ 1:14 pm

You come up with the most clever combinations! This sounds wonderful!!

janetha — April 15, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

oh HOLY YUM! i wish marshall liked seafood! i will have to make these for little old me sometime.

Cheryl Cormier — April 15, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

I also love seafood and avocado! What a great idea! Hope Mr. Sweet feels better soon! I hope you have some meat recipes ready!

Alex — April 15, 2010 @ 2:25 pm

WOW! I am going to have to make this ASAP! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — April 15, 2010 @ 2:53 pm

That looks incredible! I just bought a 4oz container of lump crab meat ($$$$), I’m tempted to try this. YUMMMMMY!! :)

Jenn

Lisa — April 15, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

you never cease to amaze me with your culinary creations!! These look fantastic!

Jessie — April 15, 2010 @ 4:27 pm

I agree on buying the real crab – none of the sissy stuff! :D I’ve never thought of putting crab in a quesadilla before, but that sounds delicious!

I hope Mr. Sweet feels better soon!

PorkStar — April 15, 2010 @ 4:44 pm

I’m not sure i’m missing out much on the seafood front for not liking it but… i have to say i admire those of you who enjoy seafood in all shapes and forms. From the pictures it looks nice, once i have it in front of me, not too sure. Id probably wash it down with a ton of lemon… just saying.

Katherine — April 15, 2010 @ 4:57 pm

I love a good south-of-the-border flare! crab and avocado sound delicious!
    Katherine
    whataboutsummer

sophia — April 15, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

If that was in Taco Bell, I would pay it more visits. But then, there is no way in hell Taco Bell will accept that because they don’t know what’s good food. crab + bacon+ cheese + avocado pressed in carb. Oh so goodness!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 15, 2010 @ 6:36 pm

when i was 24 i randomly developed a shrimp and shellfish allergy that almost killed me. suffice to say, i can never have any shellfish ever again. BUT I adore crab, crab dip. OMg w/ pineapple! and avo…this has got to be one of my fave savory recipes of yours. I cant eat it, but can appreciate it :)

Jessica @ The Cooking Chick — April 15, 2010 @ 8:18 pm

This dish is a perfect reminder that Spring has Sprung!

1. Pingback: Running and Gluttony | ReciPeas & Musings