Since I was young, one of my most favorite snacks has been tortilla chips with melted cheese.

No, not queso dip.

Cheese that is literally melted on top of the tortilla chips in the microwave.

Weird? Maybe.

Tasty? Yes.

Gross? That is subjective.

Sure, over the years my tastes have refined a bit. I have gone from boring, white tortilla chips and bagged cheddar cheese to organic blue corn chips with gouda, gruyere and fontina.

I recently found these new-to-me, hand-made yellow corn and whole grain La Tortilla Factory tortillas.

The simple things excite me.

These are different than the whole wheat ones I usually get. They are slightly thicker and more flexible.

Oh. . . and insanely delicious.

So, I cut them into fours, spritzed with some olive oil, sprinkled on some sea salt, and baked them.

The result?

Crispy, thick, yellow corn chips!

I topped them with every delicious ingredient I could find in my fridge. I love the different textures – chewy, creamy and gooey!

These protein-packed nachos keep me much fuller than the 3 or 4 plates of chips with melted cheese that I like to snack on.

I suppose you could also add more vegetables. You know, if you’re into that kind of thing.

Speaking of veggies, Sabrina is holding an I love salad! challenge.

Raise your hand if you think this challenge would be perfect for me.

Healthy Loaded Nachos

Serves 2

4 whole grain tortillas

5 oz shredded chicken breast

1/4 cup black beans

2 tablespoons enchilada sauce

1/4 cup low-fat, shredded monterey jack cheese

2 tablespoons chunky salsa

2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt

2 tablespoons low-fat refried beans

2 slices avocado, chopped

Preheat oven to 375.

Cut tortillas into triangles, spritz with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and bake for 10-15 minutes until crispy. Let cool.

Top with chicken, cheese, black beans, enchilada sauce, and salsa. Add a scoop of refried beans and greek yogurt. Top with avocado.

Nachos that taste delicious and are heart and waistline friendly?

Sign me up!

98 Responses to “Loaded Baked Nachos – The Healthy Way!”

Diana — April 16, 2010 @ 4:10 am

That sounds (and looks!) sooo delicious. Yay for healthy yummy food. :)

Jil — April 16, 2010 @ 4:11 am

YES! Those tortillas are amazing! …and make for amazing nachos!

Julie — April 16, 2010 @ 4:14 am

I’m the same way with cheese on my nachos…from when I was little nachos always meant cheese literally melted on top in the microwave! Can’t wait to try these

RhodeyGirl — April 16, 2010 @ 4:16 am

Thanks for the shout out!~

Midgetkeeper — April 16, 2010 @ 4:19 am

this is exactly how I make our chips, sooo good!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 16, 2010 @ 4:19 am

I don’t think that’s weird at all! My favorite snack used to be melted cheese. Like, on a plate.

Okay, THAT may be weird. At least you threw some chips into the mix :-)

Blond Duck — April 16, 2010 @ 4:25 am

You know what’s really funny? We had nachos Wednesday night for dinner! I take hard corn taco shells, crack them in half, load them up with refried beans, cooked sirlion strips, cheese and jalepenos and chiles and throw them under the broiler. I ‘ve never tried chicken and black beans. I know I would love them, but Ben hates black beans. (rolls eyes). I MUST find the corn tortillas from La Tortilla Factory–all I’ve ever found is the wheat or spinach! I have to get the supersized mission ones (for a soft taco size) or deal with the regular corn ones!

It’s a good thing I’m making fish tacos tonight, or I’d be dying for Mexican…

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — April 16, 2010 @ 4:29 am

Can I have these for my breakfast this morning???

Estela @ Weekly Bite — April 16, 2010 @ 4:47 am

These look so tasty! I need to find me some of those tortillas!

Kate — April 16, 2010 @ 5:04 am

I’m with you on the melted cheese over chip in the microwave thing. I’ve stopped doing it as much as I would like to but I love to eat nachos that way. Although these look WAY better! Plus those chips look perfect.

Beth @ 990 Square — April 16, 2010 @ 5:07 am

We just discovered the magic of baking Whole Foods corn tortillas in our countertop convection oven. They’re awesome, and I don’t feel nearly so bad about eating them!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — April 16, 2010 @ 5:09 am

I love, love, love La Tortilla Factory…but I’ve never had the corn tortillas before…I always head to the wheat. I’ll have to check em out!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — April 16, 2010 @ 5:37 am

I totally did the chips w/melted cheese in the microwave thing… loved it! I haven’t seen those tortillas yet, but I’ll be looking harder for them because, well, we need a nacho night!

Nicole, RD — April 16, 2010 @ 5:54 am

That looks amazing! I love homemade chips and the hubz loves nachos. I think we could demolish these babies! Have a great weekend, hope Mr. Sweet it feeling back to good!

Katrina — April 16, 2010 @ 5:59 am

Holy these look fantastic!

shelly (cookies and cups) — April 16, 2010 @ 6:04 am

great idea! I will have to try that with the tortillas!

Sophie @ yumventures — April 16, 2010 @ 6:36 am

Your favorite snack is also my favorite. I melt cheese on tortilla chips in the microwave any day of the week. I love (aka am obsessed) with nachos. I have to try this!

Kelly — April 16, 2010 @ 6:40 am

OMG dan and i still eat scoops with nuked shredded cheddar on top :o)

i might have to show this one to cassie, it looks delish!

MySensei — April 16, 2010 @ 6:58 am

These look so amazingly delicious…AND they are healthy!? Mmmm! Thank you for sharing :-)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — April 16, 2010 @ 7:06 am

im making this for me and jason…he will NEVER know they are healthy ;) do you think it will work with the regular high fiber tortillas even if they aren’t corn?? Im so surprised they stayed crunchy!! I hae tried baking them before and they became limp :( im giving this a try!!

• Jessica — April 16th, 2010 @ 8:16 am

You know, I’m not sure. I have tried baking tortillas before, too and they didn’t come out crunchy. I am not sure if this is because they are corn, or because they are thicker. Have you sprayed them with Pam? I did that, I’m sure it helped, too. It’s worth a try!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — April 16, 2010 @ 7:07 am

Oh sign me up too…perfect!! Thanks girl!!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — April 16, 2010 @ 7:13 am

Per usual, these look fan-freaking-tastic. When I was younger I used to melt cheese on a tortilla in the microwave alllll the time. Best after school snack ever.

Morgan — April 16, 2010 @ 7:14 am

I love this! Tortilla chips with melted cheese is one of my favorite snacks and biggest weaknesses. Also, tortilla chips with anything I can dip them into. This sounds perfect!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — April 16, 2010 @ 7:18 am

what, it’s not normal to melt cheese on top of tortilla chips? I used to do that all the time! It’s been too long actually.

Where do you find those tortillas??

and once again, you’ve created something that set my tummy growling.

• Jessica — April 16th, 2010 @ 8:15 am

I actually find them in the worldwide foods section in Mexican at my grocery store. They are not where the other cold tortilla’s are (mine are near the cheese). Check that aisle if you have it!

Eunice — April 16, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Say whaaaat? Those nachos look heavenly!

There’s been a lot of refried bean action going on in bloggie land. I need to get on that asap.

Lindsey @ Sound Eats — April 16, 2010 @ 7:31 am

I’m so glad to hear you like those tortillas – I’ve tried some corn tortillas before that have been nasty! These La Tortilla Factory ones keep catching my eye at the store. Must get them now!

Have a lovely Friday and weekend, Jess!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 16, 2010 @ 7:37 am

heck yes! i want to eat these…yesterday! seriously though, i’m now in the mood for nachos thanks to this post. YUM.

Kris | iheartwellness.com — April 16, 2010 @ 7:44 am

yes, yes, yes!! I am coming over! Nacho’s used to be a staple dinner in our house and well….we haven’t had them for a very long time! These look so wonderful :)

XXOO

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — April 16, 2010 @ 7:54 am

That looks AMAZINGLY delicious!!! YUM!

I so used to melt Kraft Singles on tortilla chips in the microwave. I’m not ashamed to say that it was the bomb.

Kelly — April 16, 2010 @ 8:01 am

Haha – we did the exact same thing in my house growing up! You had to be very careful not to let it go too long or the cheese got hard and gross.

These look soooo good!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — April 16, 2010 @ 8:01 am

The melted in the microwave cheese on tortilla chips…I remember those from my childhood too! I actually do that for my kids now and they love it. It must be something a kid loves! Your grown up version looks delicious! I need that salad!!!

Michele — April 16, 2010 @ 8:25 am

I think this is a great idea! I love the healthier version!

Catherine — April 16, 2010 @ 8:36 am

That looks fantastic!! That’s exactly the way I like my cheese too… not that gross abnormally liquid at room temp nacho cheese, but good ‘ol oven melty cheese!

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — April 16, 2010 @ 8:42 am

these look so awesome!

i can totally relate to the melted cheese on chips…except I also added salsa before microwaving. it really grosses people out because it kind of makes the chips soggy but that’s my favorite part. ha, so i’m a little weird…

anyways, you now have me craving nachos and im loving your healthier version! thanks :)

• Jessica — April 16th, 2010 @ 9:44 am

I totally get it! I do the same. I like the sogginess and crispiness. Sometimes I add BBQ sauce instead. I am odd.

Erica — April 16, 2010 @ 9:01 am

I love nachos! Tortilla chips to me are way better than any other treat food. I think we’re in need of a nacho night around here. Love that we’re both on a mexican kick- happy weekend

ChubbyNewlywed — April 16, 2010 @ 9:21 am

OH.
    EM.
    GEE.

I just found your blog and I’m trying to wipe the drool off my keyboard. Nachos are my numero uno favorite food ever.

• Jessica — April 16th, 2010 @ 9:40 am

Thanks for stoppin’ by! :)

Bibi — April 16, 2010 @ 9:36 am

The only way my kids eat natchos is cheese melted in the microwave in layers,lol.

I love your healthy twist.

Melinda — April 16, 2010 @ 9:42 am

Ok, on taco salad day at my old job I would get the chips, tomatoes and then cheese and then toss it in the microwave. It was kinda gross, bt still kinda good.

Evan Thomas — April 16, 2010 @ 9:43 am

Oh yum! I so rarely have Mexican food cravings. I think if my body knew it could be healthy like this it’d want it more!

Bree — April 16, 2010 @ 10:15 am

Yum! I love LaTortilla Factory tortillas – I never thought to bake them. What temp did you bake at? I also love nachos. It’s a problem.

Someone else asked where to find them and at my regular supermarket they are in the “diet foods” section with the sugar free stuff. Strange I know!

• Jessica — April 16th, 2010 @ 1:23 pm

Baked them at 375!

Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition — April 16, 2010 @ 10:34 am

I’m going out to Mexican with my bf tonight and your post made me sooooo excited about it!! Looks amazing : )

katie — April 16, 2010 @ 10:42 am

i LOVE HEALTHY NACHOS!! ahh!! soo much better than REAL, artiery clogging nachos that you cant eat every single day like you can these!

PippaPatchwork — April 16, 2010 @ 10:55 am

Homemade tortilla chips is such a good idea! I have such a weakness for nachos.

Kate @ Cozydelicious — April 16, 2010 @ 11:25 am

I have totally stopped buying tortilla chips and now just crisp up corn tortillas in the toaster oven whenever I want nachos! Yours look wonderful! My new thing is BBQ pork on baked nachos – so good, and if you use lean pork and homemade BBQ sauce, pretty heart healthy too!

TheKitchenWitch — April 16, 2010 @ 11:27 am

You had me at nachos…but to add healthy into the mix? I’m there!

Lauren From Texas — April 16, 2010 @ 11:31 am

I LOVE THIS BLOG. I needed to get that out there. Just found you today via a comment you left on Five Blondes. I love food, but most of the things I like to eat are covered in sugar, butter, and/or cheese. It’s so nice to find a balance: healthy substitutes without sacrificing FLAVOR. I’ll definitely be back. :o)

• Jessica — April 16th, 2010 @ 11:36 am

Thank you SO much, Lauren! That really means a lot to me. I am so glad you found me! :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — April 16, 2010 @ 11:44 am

These look delish!! My husband fries tortilla chips and while they are truly wonderful, my waistline just doesn’t agree. This is a great alternative! Yum!

Kacy — April 16, 2010 @ 11:44 am

Those look INSANELY good!

My Dad got me hooked on microwave nachos. I still eat them from time to time.

Anne — April 16, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

I love the title of your post :) and even though I’m stuffed after a steak (filled with BACON and sour cream) I could easily have a bit of those nachos ;)

Abby — April 16, 2010 @ 1:17 pm

You know my love for mexican food. I think this is SCREAMING my name.

Oh, and… ::raises hand::

(although I haven’t been liking any veggies recently)

1. Pingback: My New Favorite Snack « Yumventures