I don’t like coffee.

I want to like coffee. I really do.

But why would I want to like something that is seen as a vice to so many people?

I can just see myself sitting cozily on a couch in a local coffee shop, ‘meeting someone for coffee’ and feeling sophisticated as my grubby little fingers envelop the warm mug.

I would probably be wearing some cute skinny jeans, too.

In reality, ‘stuffed sausage’ would be the more appropriate way to describe skinny jeans on my thighs, and because I’ve spent all of my money on shoes, I have nothing left to buy coffee.

Thank goodness I don’t like it.

This also would insinuate that we have a local coffee shop and that I have a friend to meet there.

Wrong again.

The fact is, I don’t like many warm drinks at all. They feel weird going down the pipe. The only warm drinks I consider a staple in my life are usually laced with a touch of whiskey or rum.

However, I really enjoy mocha or coffee-flavored foods.

Coffee ice cream. Tiramisu. Cappuccino truffles.

In case you were wondering, actual coffee doesn’t taste like this. In fact, actual coffee tastes like dirty water. It is easy to be fooled by the flavors. I have come home bearing bags stuffed to the brim of coconut macaroon and french toast flavored coffee. I’ve tried cinnamon swirl cream and vanilla pecan. I’ve bought chocolate truffle and mocha-I-taste-nothing-like-chocolate coffee.

I’ve sold my first born child all in the hopes of finding a coffee I love.

I do love the occasional iced or frozen coffee loaded with a gallon of cream, sugary syrups, whipped topping, and cinnamon. While we’re at it, throw a few scoops of ice cream in there, too. Why not? I’m not ever going to look good in those skinny jeans anyway.

Basically, I love any drink that tastes more like chocolate and barely resembles coffee.

Since granola ranks up there on the list of foods-I-can’t-stop-eating-even-when-my-pant-buttons-pop, I figured a mocha flavor would be perfect. I added some coconut in there too, because in my mind, the world is happier with coconut.

Mr. How Sweet disagrees. He’d probably put chicken breast in his granola.

As soon as the granola came out of the oven, I sprinkled it with chocolate chips. They melted just slightly, resulting in a delicious, chocolate granola that had a crunchy and creamy texture.

So much better than coffee.

Mocha Granola

2 cups rolled oats, uncooked

1/4 cup wheat germ

2 tablespoons ground flaxseed

1/4 cup chopped almonds

1/2 teaspoon instant coffee powder

1 teaspoon cocoa powder

1/4 cup shredded coconut

1 tablespoon coconut oil

2 tablespoons honey

chocolate morsels

Preheat oven to 375.

Combine all ingredients together and mix until wet. Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 1o minutes. Flip the granola and bake for another 5 minutes. Flip again and bake for a final 5 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.

Perhaps if they made a bacon-flavored coffee I would enjoy it?

93 Responses to “Mocha Granola.”

Tina — April 29, 2010 @ 12:47 pm

My husband is the same way. Hates coffee but loves the taste of coffee treats. What a cool idea to do that with granola.

homecookedem — April 29, 2010 @ 12:49 pm

I love mocha flavored things! But I hate drinking coffee. Weird, right?? I would love this, especially with the chocolate chips. It kind of reminds me of my favorite kashi granola bar – the dark mocha almond bar. Soooooo good!! :)

Katie — April 29, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

OH MY GOSH DEEEELISHHHH!
    Ps. I’m linking your site ‘for my readers to find more info’ on my post about weight training! :) I think you have a lot of valuable knowledge! Keep it up girl!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — April 29, 2010 @ 1:44 pm

Omg that looks amazing! I’ve never been able to enjoy the taste of plain coffee, i’ve always got to spruce it up with milk and sweetener.

Nicole, RD — April 29, 2010 @ 1:48 pm

Love coffee, LOVE granola, LOVE this recipe! Making!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] — April 29, 2010 @ 2:23 pm

I’m the opposite. I love coffee but usually don’t like coffee flavored things. I know that’s not normal. But I’m willing to give this a try because, well, it’s from you.

eatingRD — April 29, 2010 @ 3:08 pm

I can’t stop eating granola either, especially with chocolate in it!!! so good! I’m not a fan of plain coffee either and I have to mask it with all kinds of flavors. Plus it makes me shaky and my tummy upset so I usually skip it unless I really need a pick me up :) haha chicken breasts in granola, now that’s gross lol

Lisa — April 29, 2010 @ 4:32 pm

What lovely granola! I bet that would make for a yummy afternoon snack r dessert too :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — April 29, 2010 @ 4:36 pm

I WISH I read this when I got home from work because I would hve made it to bring with my on my mini vacation. I am so making this when I get back, except I think it will be gone very quickly!

Marisa (Loser for Life) — April 29, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

I am in love with this recipe :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — April 29, 2010 @ 5:38 pm

Hehehe I love your back and forth comments with Mr HS – you both sound hilarious! It took me AGES to like coffee – I wanted to SO badly because I’ve always loved the smell. Last summer I tried to like it again because I couldn’t stay awake in my early morning classes, and now I enjoy a cup every day!! But I’d probably take your granola over that any day – it looks awesome!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 29, 2010 @ 5:45 pm

yum girl. and the bloob soup from the last post.
    you know how much i cherish our emails and friendship. truly, the best :)

xoxo

limewire — April 29, 2010 @ 7:02 pm

dang sweet stuff dude.

sophia — April 29, 2010 @ 7:07 pm

Oh Jessica. And I thought we were friends.

Just kidding! You likes sweets, I hate sweets. You don’t like coffee, I loooove coffee. No coffee in the morning = bitchy Sophia. But the idea of drinking gourmet coffee in skinny jeans…lol. That’s just not me either.

Yum Yucky — April 29, 2010 @ 7:30 pm

Everytime I visit your blog, I feel greedy hunger pangs within 5-seconds. I’m not kidding.

Lorin — April 29, 2010 @ 8:57 pm

That looks really good. But seriously, you are skinny and probably fit in skinny jeans just fine don’t worry about it.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 29, 2010 @ 10:02 pm

Mmmm, I love coffee … and I LOVE making mocha oats, so I think I would also love mocha granola!

auntie pami — April 30, 2010 @ 5:15 am

Have you tried Green Mountain’s Rain Forest Nut? OMG, it is my absolute favorite. Smooth, not too sweet, not to coffee-y.

• Jessica — April 30th, 2010 @ 6:29 am

I have not! I don’t even think I have seen that brand before. I will have to look more closely this weekend.

Karla — April 30, 2010 @ 5:38 am

I’m definitely trying this!

Amanda — April 30, 2010 @ 5:58 am

Fantastic recipe girl!! You are the bomb.

Did you get your blog in the running for Awesomest Food Blog? I can just imagine how much bacon you could buy for $50! :)

Blessings-
    Amanda

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — April 30, 2010 @ 6:24 am

This looks amazing! :)

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble — April 30, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

I didn’t like coffee for a long time. Now I do, but I only drink it on occasion. :-)

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — May 3, 2010 @ 10:57 am

I have the same theory on coffee and coffee-flavored foods as you! This sounds AWESOME. I must try!

Bianca @ south bay rants n raves — May 4, 2010 @ 8:10 pm

Coffee does smell better than it tastes most of the time but I’m sure this is delish. :)

Veronica @ Café con Leche — July 1, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

Hi Jessica!! I don’t have wheat germ or flax seed but I would looove to make this granola right now! It looks amaaazing. Is there any substitutions for these? Or maybe, can I leave them out??

Marissa — February 18, 2012 @ 12:46 pm

I know this was posted a while ago, but I totally relate with the whole i-like-coffee-flavor-but-not-real-coffee thing. However, I drink coffee nearly every day. How? I add syrups. There are probably a lot of great brands, but I have about 12 bottles of Torani syrups. I love the vanilla one because it’s sweet enough to make me love the coffee, but not so flavored that it tastes fake. I would totally recommend doing this (unless you want to avoid a coffee addiction). I got the idea because whenever I go to Starbucks, I get a vanilla latte, so I thought I’d try making it at home :)