When trying to grocery shop on a budget, it is probably not wise to buy a $12 bag of pistachios.

That is why I married a guy who is good with numbers.

But it still didn’t stop me from buying the pistachios.

I barely put a dent in the bag when I used them for the lime angel food cake. And while I probably could have just eaten the rest of the bag, I wanted to be a bit more creative.

However, eating a pound of pistachios in one sitting does sound nice.

And fattening. I just heard a belt loop pop.

Even though this pistachio butter looks like swamp mud, I promise it is delicious.

Three cheers for, perhaps, the most asthetically unappealing items I have ever made.

Even though I knew exactly what went into it, I was still afraid to taste it.

I mean, it does resemble something you’d find in murky waters or a baby’s diaper.

Or even somewhere deep down inside my crisper drawer where all the veggies that I intended on trying to eat have rotted.

I would never post something so ugly if it was not incredible delicious.

Sweet and salty, with a hint of tropical coconut.

Pistachio Coconut Butter

1/2 cup shelled, roasted pistachios

3 tablespoons shredded, unsweetened coconut

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 tablespoon maple syrup

1 tablespoon coconut oil

Add pistachios to a food processor and pulse until  they become crumbs. Add in coconut and process until smooth. You may need to turn the food processor off and scrap down the sides a few times. Add in vanilla and maple syrup. Add in coconut oil 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.

Garnish with addition coconut.

Poor Mr. How Sweet is home sick today. Like, the-room-is-spinning sick. Thankfully, I am out of the house so he doesn’t have to hear my whiney voice asking if he is ok every 2 minutes.

I promise, it is not because he ate the swampy pistachio butter.

77 Responses to “Pistachio Coconut Butter.”

VeggieGirl — April 14, 2010 @ 5:52 am

Hope Mr. How Sweet feels better soon!! And yes, I highly doubt that that delicious pistachio coconut butter made him sick – it’s too good! :-D

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — April 14, 2010 @ 5:59 am

Sounds like an interesting creation! Hope Mr. How Sweet feels better soon!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — April 14, 2010 @ 6:01 am

I hate it when I make something that tastes good and looks like baby poo! I was going to take a picture of some mustard the other day, but gave up ’cause no one wanted to see that…the does not look bad at all. It is pistachios! Sounds delicious! I hope our hubby feels better soon!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — April 14, 2010 @ 6:03 am

I was liking this until you compared it to baby poop………….

I’m sorry, but after cleaning poopie diapers all day, I can’t bring myself to eat anything that looks like it.

I still love ya though ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 14, 2010 @ 6:05 am

Looks like a green monster!!! Yum!

I hope your hub feels better :-(

Erica — April 14, 2010 @ 6:09 am

awww! I hope Mr. How Sweet feels better!!! This nut butter doesn’t look gross- looks tasty. Pistachio+coconut? Awesome combo. I’d rather spend money on good food than anything else ;) I find it ridiculously hard to pull back at the food store

Evan — April 14, 2010 @ 6:09 am

Could you use just regular oil to make plain ole pistachio butter? I don’t really like coconut :( and I haven’t yet embarked on the homemade nut butters??

• Jessica — April 14th, 2010 @ 6:27 am

Yes! I would probably use a canola oil, or grapeseed oil – I heard that was good, too. Stream it in 1 teaspoon at a time while the food processor is going. :)

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — April 14, 2010 @ 6:27 am

I will admit it does look like something in my son’s diaper….but I’m sure it’s delish! I was going to make almond butter once, but never got around to it, I’m assuming this would work just the same.

DessertForTwo — April 14, 2010 @ 6:30 am

We live right next to a huge pistacio orchard. Needless to say, we are always over-run with pistachios. And bees. But anyway, this is such a great idea for using them up! Thanks! I LOVE almond butter, never thought to make pistachio butter.

Mellissa — April 14, 2010 @ 6:31 am

I need to make this, we have a HUGE bag of pistachios that we got from Sam’s that is not even half gone.

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — April 14, 2010 @ 6:43 am

I’m pretty sure I would eat anything you made even if it looked like swamp mud.

Cara — April 14, 2010 @ 6:48 am

I’d be scared to leave my hubby home alone with this pistachio butter. Sick or not, he’d make sure it was gone by the end of the day!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — April 14, 2010 @ 7:13 am

awww i hope MR sweet feels better! stuff his face with this coconut butter and he will smile all day long!!

SO DELICIOUS JESS!!

Erica — April 14, 2010 @ 7:30 am

Pistachio Butter sounds great although it may not look the best. I love how people refer to foods as baby poop. I know someone who thinks guacamole looks like baby food… seriously?

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 14, 2010 @ 7:31 am

this sounds absolutely amazing! and yes, it does resemble swampy sludge, but you can see the goodness anyway :) also, i’m making s’mores brownies a la YOU for tomorrow!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? — April 14, 2010 @ 7:33 am

Hugs to Mr. How Sweet!
    And girl..that looks fantastic!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — April 14, 2010 @ 7:39 am

Don’t worry, with all the green smoothies going around, we are all used to swampy looking food by now. :) Awesome recipe, I love pistachios!

Whitney @ Lettuce Love — April 14, 2010 @ 7:42 am

Hope Mr Sweet feels better soon. That nut butter does look funky but I am sure it tastes great. I heart pistachios :)

Amanda — April 14, 2010 @ 7:51 am

I have never heard of this. Never. You are ALWAYS coming up with new fun stuff! Rock on girl!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — April 14, 2010 @ 7:59 am

It sounds so good!!!

Noelle @Opera Singer in Kitchen — April 14, 2010 @ 8:04 am

This looks delicious! A whole new take on a nut butter!

Seth @ Boy Meets Food — April 14, 2010 @ 8:05 am

That’s kind of funny, I just tried my hand at making a little batch of pistachio butter about 2 weeks ago. I didn’t add coconut, but that does sound like a good idea!

Sophie @ yumventures — April 14, 2010 @ 8:14 am

Oh my gosh this looks amazing! I love nut butters, but have NEVER heard of pistachio butter! YUM!

Evelyne@cheapethniceatz — April 14, 2010 @ 8:22 am

MUST make this ASAP

Kacy — April 14, 2010 @ 8:25 am

I think you did a great job of making it look somewhat appetizing with the garnish in the photo. And it sounds great!

kelly — April 14, 2010 @ 8:43 am

not gonna lie, i’m already gagging, haha. i love the taste of guac, but the color makes me wanna puke, so i rarely eat it. i’ll take your word that this is tastey…can we bleach it or something? haha

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — April 14, 2010 @ 9:03 am

Oh my gosh…Jessica seriously just when I think you can’t top a previous recipe you do!!! This sounds fantastic! Lately we have been on a HUGE pisatcio kick and this is going to be so good! I <3 YOU!!

Ashley — April 14, 2010 @ 9:11 am

OKay. Girl. Seriously. My mom is going to love you EVEN more now. She LOVES pistachios and she loves your blog. We would read it together when she was visiting…and now she calls me like “why am I sitting here reading these blogs when I should be writing reports????” LOL This has to be made. Pronto. I really want to make maple almond butter too. Maybe I’ll get on that today. I am NOT afraid of any green food…unless it’s green bread, no thanks. Now off to look at your app. recipes!! xo

Midgetkeeper — April 14, 2010 @ 9:20 am

That sounds so delicious. Gonna have to add pistachios to the grocery list.

Anne — April 14, 2010 @ 10:02 am

Wow, interesting combination! :) at my home the world usually stops spinning when the Mr is sick, it’s so funny :D I hope Mr Sweet is feeling better soon!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — April 14, 2010 @ 10:36 am

Hope your guy gets to feeling better soon! As always, this looks incredible- even though it does look a little “swamp thing”

Katie — April 14, 2010 @ 11:03 am

I don’t know why I’ve never thought to make nut butter with pistachios! Swampy or not, it sounds delicious. Especially with coconut. You’re a genius.

Hope Mr. How Sweet recovers soon. :-)

Jil — April 14, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

Ohh, what a combo! I’m sure it tastes awesome…I haven’t had pistachios in sooo long…time to add to the grocery list.

Eunice — April 14, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

Not gonna lie…that butter looks scary. But if you say it tastes good, I believe you! The ingredients seem harmless :)

Abby — April 14, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

Jessica… that looks like poop. But I’m SURE that it doesn’t taste like it! You are my hero for combining these!

Paige (running around normal) — April 14, 2010 @ 12:30 pm

Hmm never thought of pistachio nut butter. :)

Amanda@SenseiTalks — April 14, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

Love pistachio…Love coconut…must try this!! Looks delicious!!

kate — April 14, 2010 @ 12:54 pm

sounds delicious (and like something of yours I could actually make without screwing up toooo bad!)

homecookedem — April 14, 2010 @ 1:19 pm

How unique!! I’ve never thought about making pistachio butter before!! I’m sure I would love it!! :)

Devon — April 14, 2010 @ 2:12 pm

Goodness gracious, that sounds delicious! Pistachios and coconut are two of my most favoritest things.

april — April 14, 2010 @ 2:32 pm

I bet my dad would loves this! There’s not a day that goes by that he doesn’t eat pistachios!

One Healthy Apple — April 14, 2010 @ 2:42 pm

I love pistachios and this sounds like a tropical vacation! I’m still working on working myself up to eat that coconut butter I got. Lame, I know!

Hope Mr. How Sweet is better!

Lisa — April 14, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

I bet that was delicious! What a great way to use pistachios!

Jamie @ My Baking Addiction — April 14, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

I totally thought you were dipping an apple in pesto! This actually sounds really good!

Jenn (www.j3nn.net) — April 14, 2010 @ 4:01 pm

Wow, that’s creative! I bet it tastes delicious. But doesn’t all fatty food taste amazing? :D I’m going out to find some coconut butter today. I can’t stand it anymore, I see it everywhere. hehe

Hope Mr. How Sweet feels better!

Jenn

Shelley — April 14, 2010 @ 4:02 pm

this looks delicious & really creative!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 14, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

I love anything with coconut, so I don’t care what it looks like – I would eat it!

Nastassia (Let Me Eat Cake) — April 14, 2010 @ 5:28 pm

stop taunting me with your coconut lime combos! first a cake and now butter you have me drooling!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — April 14, 2010 @ 5:35 pm

You are so creative I can’t even take it! It might not be a pretty color, but taste is more important than color :) Hope Mr. HowSweet feels better!

Meghan@traveleatlove — April 14, 2010 @ 6:10 pm

Best wishes for the hubby’s recovery! This spread looks incredible. Haha I make lots of ugly but delicious food!

1. Pingback: coco-stachio buttery love « the edible perspective