These are a fabulous, heart-healthy replacement for the usual, artery-clogging blueberry muffin.

I’m all for clogged arteries and everything, but sometimes eating a fruity whole wheat muffin just makes me feel better.

Clearly, I am suffering from a muffin-making binge. After those coconut-banana muffins, I just had to make some more. I think they were tastier than any other muffin I’ve ever tried.

Until these.

There is nothing like a warm blueberry muffin.

Except a warm blueberry muffin loaded with strawberries.

There are specific mornings that just call for muffins.

Mornings when you wake up to your husband vacuuming and clanging dishes loudly because his OCD has taken over. At 5am.

(Hey, someone has to clean.)

Mornings where you step on 16 dyecast Nascar cars before making it out of your bedroom and screaming more obscenities than ever thought possible. It’s not just kids that leave toy cars on the floor.

Mornings when your house smells so strongly of wet grass you may vomit, because your husband decided to cut the lawn immediately following a torrential downpour. He likes the scent of wet grass because it smells like hay. Hay! Why would I want my house smelling like a farm?

Mornings when I’m starving and the only cure for my starvation is bacon. And our home is sans bacon. It’s a sin people. A sin.

Those are muffin mornings.

Very Berry Whole Wheat Muffins

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour

1/2 cup sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup canola oil

1 egg

1/2 cup strawberries, chopped

1/2 cup blueberries

1/4-1/2 cup milk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 tablespoons raw turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 400.

Mix flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. Add canola oil, 1/4 cup milk, vanilla, and eggs, and mix until combined. If your dough is very thick, add the rest of the milk. Fold in blueberries and strawberries. Top with a sprinkling of raw turbinado sugar.

Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Right about now, Mr. How Sweet is staring at his computer screen is disarray. I didn’t tell him about the muffins.

87 Responses to “Very Berry Whole Wheat Muffins.”

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — April 27, 2010 @ 6:40 pm

Your plating is so complimentary. My imagination puts all the favors right into it. Those look incredible and I have a soft spot for muffins!

Melissa@HealthyBites&Bits — April 27, 2010 @ 8:53 pm

MMM.. all your muffin recipes look SOO delicious. I cant wait to try some of them. Thanks for sharing!!

tigerfish — April 28, 2010 @ 1:57 am

I like those tiny strawberry chunks in your muffins :)

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — April 28, 2010 @ 3:48 am

BRAVO!!!

Amanda — April 28, 2010 @ 4:24 am

I loves me the berry deliciousness of these bad boys! :)

Nichole — April 28, 2010 @ 9:29 am

I could eat muffins all day. Mornings when it’s quiet and you want to wake up the house with something smelling delish, that’s a muffin morning.

stephchows — April 28, 2010 @ 11:00 am

mmmm those look utterly perfect if you ask me!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — April 28, 2010 @ 11:46 am

Hehehe I love how you write.. These muffins seem perfect!

HeatherFeather — April 28, 2010 @ 6:12 pm

Such a lovely photo!

Alycia @ FitnFresh — April 28, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

i literally JUST made some whole wheat blueberry muffins earlier in the week, but they came out a little dry. I can’t wait to try this recipe tonight (:

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad — April 29, 2010 @ 5:18 pm

Yum! I’m picking up some local strawberries this weekend, and I was wondering what I could do with them…now I have an idea!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — April 30, 2010 @ 5:20 am

Lovely muffins! I love whole wheat muffins for breakfast… Would you like to come over and bake some for me this morning?

Rebecca — April 30, 2010 @ 6:36 am

Hey, I tried these last night and they actually ended up being YUMMY, but I was kind of nervous because the “batter” was more like cookie dough, and I had to scoop it into the muffin tins with my 1/4 C measuring cup. What was the consistency of your original batter? (Ps, I’ll have to try King Arthur wheat flour, yours looked golden and mine looked like rocks…TASTY rocks, but rocks!)

• Jessica — April 30th, 2010 @ 6:43 am

My batter wasn’t runny, but it wasn’t like dough either. Did you use the milk? What kind of flour did you use?

If that happens again, I would just add more liquid and they should be ok. Glad they still tasted good. :)

• Colleen — May 1st, 2010 @ 5:22 pm

I just put these in the oven and my batter was also EXTREMELY thick – like cookie dough. I kept adding more milk, but I kept thinking I must have been missing something. Do you weigh your flour? Maybe I should have done it by weight? Here’s hoping they turn out!

Jessica Lee — April 30, 2010 @ 9:17 am

OMG, why he is up at 5am? You’re right though, at least he is cleaning. My bf always complains that I am a “clanger” of dishes too. He says that I have no regard for others. Oh well.

Muffins are really good and I do enjoy them but I couldn’t have them just for breakfast. It would never fill me up. I’d have to eat the whole batch Jess!!

Megan — May 4, 2010 @ 6:40 am

I made this last night. I also had a problem with the batter somewhat resembling cookie dough. I just kept adding more milk (probably around 3/4 cup). Also, I’m usually a honey wheat person. I didn’t know if I would like how healthy a muffin made with all whole wheat flour would taste. Being the chicken that I am, I used 1 cup king arthur whole wheat flour & 1/2 cup of AP Flour. It definitely tasted healthy, but the fruit sweetened it up.

Aubri — June 22, 2010 @ 8:50 pm

We loved these muffins! I used all whole wheat pastry flour, and raspberries instead of strawberries. They were perfect! I love that you have whole wheat recipes…I use lots of whole wheat and ww pastry flour. Can’t wait to try some more muffin recipes. I am appreciating your muffin-making binge :)

Lisa @ I'm an Oie — September 6, 2010 @ 5:01 pm

made these and they were delish! Thanks!

Parita@myinnershakti — January 27, 2011 @ 3:24 am

Your recipes look absolutely AMAZING! This one caught my eye because of the “whole wheat flour.” It’s on my to-make list!

• Jessica — January 27th, 2011 @ 3:42 am

Thank you!

Zoe — January 13, 2013 @ 12:29 pm

These are amazing. I’m adopting the recipe to make the ones you made, lemon poppyseed, and orange cranberry. It’s Muffin Sunday at my house!

Angie Butcher — July 26, 2014 @ 11:43 am

Just made these this morning. YUM! Modified the recipe a bit. The picture cannot be of WW muffins, they are just too light colored. I used 1/2 and 1/2 white and whole wheat flour. In addition to increasing the milk to 1/2 cup, I added 2 T. buttermilk. These were the best muffins I have made yet, so light and yet the WW flour flavor is truly wonderful. Thanks!