When I was growing up, I loved the nights my mom would make breakfast for dinner. Usually, it came in the form of eggs, and maybe some ham.

We never had pancakes, because my dad is the king of pancakes.

I have to be careful how I word this, because in our house, Mr. How Sweet thinks that he is the king of pancakes.

It’s a nice, little friendly competition.

The best part is, that my dad doesn’t even think it’s a competition.

Whereas everytime I bite into a pancake of Mr. How Sweet’s, he is practically on top of me asking who’s pancakes taste better.

I am an equal opportunity pancake lover.

I really love drizzling peanut butter on pancakes.

But in my true gluttonous fashion, I want to keep adding more and more and more peanut butter . . .

You get the drift.

A serving size is rarely enough for me.

So this time, I thought I would add the peanut butter to the pancake batter. And then eat them for dinner. Because a dinner that includes peanut butter and chocolate just may be the best thing in the world. And the reason that I hate vegetables.

Who wants a side of vegetables with their chocolate and peanut butter? Not I.

I melted the peanut butter, and then swirled it around in the whole wheat pancake batter.

And what is peanut butter without chocolate?

It is nothing, that’s what it is.

They go hand in hand, so I had to throw in a few chocolate chips.

Topped with a touch of gooey maple syrup, these pancakes are heart healthy and will make your tummy happy.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Peanut Butter Pancakes

pancakes adapted from cooks.com

2 cups whole wheat flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs, well beaten

2 cups milk

2 tablespoons canola oil

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon cinnamon

3 tablespoons peanut butter, melted

3 tablespoons chocolate chips

Stir together dry ingredients. Add eggs, milk, vanilla and oil. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in melted peanut butter. Cook on preheated pan until bubbles form and edges start to dry. Drop in chocolate chips. Flip and cook until lightly browned.

Do I dare say that I liked these pancakes better than my dad’s and Mr. How Sweet’s?

I can’t really judge, because food always tastes better when someone else makes it.

But, they are super tasty. Try them. They will make you giddy.

96 Responses to “Whole Wheat Chocolate Peanut Butter Pancakes.”

Evan — April 13, 2010 @ 6:10 am

I do believe I’m going to have to try these.. I’m a sucker for a good pancake :) and peanut butter and chocolate quite possibly have to be the best combo ever.

Mellissa — April 13, 2010 @ 6:11 am

I don’t love pancakes but these look so good, they are making me want to go have pancakes for lunch.

Elle @ Acquired Tastes — April 13, 2010 @ 6:11 am

These look ridiculously delicious! Bookmarking now… :)

Diana — April 13, 2010 @ 6:12 am

Those look amaaaaaaazing. And pretty easy to make! I like that :P
    Your blog is so dangerouuusssss.. My mouth and belly loves it all, my love handles not so much ahah
    Pretty sure I’m the queen of pancakes around here! I do not make them frequently though. ;)

Maria — April 13, 2010 @ 6:15 am

PB and chocolate for breakfast, yes please!

Jenny — April 13, 2010 @ 6:15 am

Those are mouthwatering pictures- and an awesome story to boot!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — April 13, 2010 @ 6:19 am

Ooh… These look lovely! I love peanut butter and chocolate together, and I’m happy for any excuse to eat it for breakfast!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — April 13, 2010 @ 6:23 am

Breakfast for dinner is my favorite and it always includes pancakes!!! Pancakes are just the best combination of light, fluffy and gooey with all that topping! YUM!

Kate — April 13, 2010 @ 6:30 am

What a great idea! Adding peanut butter to the batter. Now I’m hungry for pancakes!

Nicole @ making good choices — April 13, 2010 @ 6:32 am

You just never fail me jess! I love having breakfast for dinner it makes me look forward to it all day. I love any type of pancakes but I’d have to say adding pb AND chocolate takes it to another level! I think you’re the KING (QUEEN) of pancakes!

Erica — April 13, 2010 @ 6:39 am

Love brinner. I’ve never put nut butter in my pancakes…I think I need to try it! I’m looking forward to potentially making some brinner tonight. I was thinking about an onions & peppers omelet.

ashley — April 13, 2010 @ 6:42 am

Pancakes are on our menu this week. I’m totally making these instead of my usual!! Can’t wait!

DessertForTwo — April 13, 2010 @ 6:44 am

Nice photographs!

Meg @ Be Fit Be Full — April 13, 2010 @ 6:49 am

You are brilliant. Truly. I love PB smeared on my pancakes/waffles as well and never thought to actually add it to the batter!
    Where was the bacon? ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — April 13, 2010 @ 6:56 am

Yes, these pancakes make you the queen of pancakes…and everyone knows, the queen has the real power :-)

Love the pancake competition between the two men in your life, lol.

• Jessica — April 13th, 2010 @ 7:05 am

This is so true. I try to tell Mr. How Sweet that I am the Queen of the house. If he would just listen, he would have it so easy!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 13, 2010 @ 6:59 am

So pretty!!! I haven’t had pancakes in a while … I need me some pancakes! Chocolate and PB go hand in hand.

Jil — April 13, 2010 @ 7:02 am

Ahhh – this looks absolutely amazing. You have no idea how excited I am to make these!!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — April 13, 2010 @ 7:03 am

I am going to make these for Keith on Saturday…he will be thrilled! :)

barb — April 13, 2010 @ 7:05 am

They sound terrific! My dad was always the same way (about thinking he was the king). The only thing he did differently was to cook them in tons of butter & make them as thin as a crepe so the edges got all brown & crispy but they were divine. I’m glad to know I’m not the only person on the planet who does not like vegetables!

• Jessica — April 13th, 2010 @ 7:06 am

A fellow veggie-hater?! You are my new best friend! :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — April 13, 2010 @ 7:05 am

Yum, Yum,…. and YUM!!!

I don’t know how I’ve never thought to swirl melted PB in pancake batter!!!

Heather — April 13, 2010 @ 7:15 am

usually when you post a recipe, I have to make a little note to add things to my shopping list so that i can give it a try. Coconut Milk. Limes. Dried Cherries. Fresh Mozzarella. BACON.

and then there was that time i didnt know what Old Bay was and was searching up and down the spice racks in the grocery store, confused as all heck, until i finally google imaged on my black berry and found out that i was looking for that little box. but thats neither here nor there.

imagine my excitement when i read your post this morning and started CRAVING PB pancakes….and then realized i have EVERYTHING in the recipe at my house.

Guess what im having for lunch???

P.S. a few weeks ago, you may remember, i was on a pancake KICK. eating them all time. (one time, i ate them for all three meals. yes. im serious….ly lame.) One of my new favorite ways to eat pancakes? Nut Butter + maple syrup heated and stirred together for a nice little pancake glaze. HEAVENLY.

Stephanie @ Per l'Amore del Cibo — April 13, 2010 @ 7:16 am

I love, love, love sneaking some chocolate chips into my pancakes…but peanut butter?! Oh man, can’t wait to try these!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — April 13, 2010 @ 7:27 am

i seriously believe you that these pancakes will make you giddy! omg they sound SO good!! i am so so so wanting these right now! want to come make me a batch or 2 :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — April 13, 2010 @ 7:39 am

i mean, how could they NOT make you giddy?! i think i might see about surprising the hubby with these on saturday :)

Lindsey — April 13, 2010 @ 7:47 am

Wow, those sound delicious! I have almost all the ingredients too!

Eunice — April 13, 2010 @ 7:51 am

This recipe made me happy! I have all of these ingredients at home..except for the chocolate chips. A quick stop at Publix will fix that. Thanks!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — April 13, 2010 @ 7:54 am

I make John Reese’s pancakes almost every weekend! You just can’t go wrong with the pancakes and peanut butter.

Stephanie — April 13, 2010 @ 8:06 am

You are a woman after my own heart…I love choc. chip pancakes…but to add pb would be heavenly! Love your blog..can’t believe I haven’t ever visited…definitely following now:) Thanks for the tip on the frozen banana-definitely trying it next time!

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — April 13, 2010 @ 8:14 am

Although they are whole wheat, those pancakes look amazingly light and fluffy! Great recipe, I really like the idea of using peanut butter in the batter instead of on the pancakes. Yum. :)

• Jessica — April 13th, 2010 @ 9:11 am

They were really fluffy! I was surprised, but I think it was the baking powder. ;)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing — April 13, 2010 @ 8:44 am

Dang… how did you read my mind?! These things look AMAZING!!!! Would this also work as a waffle?

• Jessica — April 13th, 2010 @ 8:47 am

Probably! I don’t seen why not. But I am not a waffle expert!

Let me know if you try it!

Ashley — April 13, 2010 @ 8:53 am

I am totally making pancakes this morning!!! However, I there is a recipe I’ve been meaning to try with coconut flour…these look amazing though..maybe I will include pnut butter + chocolate ;)

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — April 13, 2010 @ 9:01 am

Sometimes, I actually refuse to eat pancakes unless there are chocolate chips involved. To add peanut butter is PURE GENIOUS. I have to stop reading your blog. It make me want to quit my job, stop caring about my appearance or health and simply bake and eat sweets all day long. I could do it and be happy too! Scary.

Morgan — April 13, 2010 @ 9:04 am

The hubby has been asking for breakfast for dinner all week. I think this is a winner for us!

Angela @ A Healthy Fit — April 13, 2010 @ 9:12 am

Just like Guiness in a can, this is BRILLIANT!

Dessert for breakfast, dessert for dinner, how can we have dessert for lunch?

The Chocolate Priestess — April 13, 2010 @ 9:27 am

These look delicious! What a great idea for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert.

Katharine — April 13, 2010 @ 9:29 am

Mmm love me some brinner! These would be the perfect dessert to some BACON and eggs. ;)

Nicole, RD — April 13, 2010 @ 9:45 am

YUMMMMMMMMMM! Your pictures are gorgeous, what camera do you use?

• Jessica — April 13th, 2010 @ 9:47 am

Oh gosh – for real?! Thank you! I use a crappy old point and shoot by Canon – seriously, it is about 4-5 years old!

Blond Duck — April 13, 2010 @ 9:49 am

For the past three days, I’ll I’ve been craving is French Toast and waffles for dinner. I’m adding pancakes to the list.

MelissaNibbles — April 13, 2010 @ 10:22 am

Fabulous! All they need is a little frosting.

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — April 13, 2010 @ 10:57 am

Your title drew me in with some drool! Your pancakes sound absolutely amazing. I love making pancakes for dinner… It’s so comforting.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — April 13, 2010 @ 11:23 am

Oh how I love pb, chocolate and pancakes. I never thought of putting them altogether into one super delish dish. I will definitely be trying this one!!

Anne — April 13, 2010 @ 11:40 am

Awesome pancakes!!!! I made salty ones today but it was OBVIOUSLY the wrong decision :D

Midgetkeeper — April 13, 2010 @ 11:45 am

Another gorgeous creation, you always get me hungry :)

Kristen (swanky dietitian) — April 13, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

Love your blog! I love the addition of peanut butter in the pancakes. What a delicious treat! yum!

Amy B @ Second City Randomness — April 13, 2010 @ 12:00 pm

Oh that is just fantastic. I think you managed to combine all my favorite things into one….

Some of my fav dinners at home where when my mom did breakfast for dinner. She always had the best homemade recipe!

Tina — April 13, 2010 @ 12:27 pm

Mmmmmm! Those do look good. I think it’s funny how men like to claim the cooking ground for pancakes and grilling. Anything else they seem to not want to deal with…but those two they are all about it. LOL

Ally @ Sweet & Savory — April 13, 2010 @ 12:34 pm

I always loved “breakfast night” growing up as well…my mom would often do waffles and bacon and/or sausage. These pancakes looks so yummy!

homecookedem — April 13, 2010 @ 12:50 pm

I used to think there was nothing better than chocolate chip pancakes. Now I know there is. Peanut butter + chocolate chip pancakes = Giddy Em! ;)

Erica — April 13, 2010 @ 1:15 pm

Wow! These look great! I love how you used whole wheat flour and you added peanut butter and chocolate! Holy Cow haha!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — April 13, 2010 @ 2:15 pm

oh wow, nice job Jessica…I mean though really choc, pb, carbs…if someone doesnt like these they are smokin something.

how’s the sub 25 challenge going for you?

I have had a hella busy day and need to priortize me time tonite…so i am telling myself the same motto….cut back :)

1. Pingback: 1.5 fails « the edible perspective