In order to eat them, I need to bribe myself.

I have some greens, I get some bacon.

That is roasted kale, which is basically drowning in nutritional yeast. I could eat it everyday, and I usually do. You won’t find me eating any other vegetables though, so don’t get too excited.

It’s companion is a toasty hummus, avocado and bacon sandwich. It doesn’t get much better.

Unless you add chocolate.

24 Responses to “Afternoon Delight: Gettin’ My Greens.”

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — May 26, 2010 @ 3:03 pm

I tried making kale chips once and failed. What did I do wrong? I’m going to try nutritional yeast on it next time I have it. That sounds sooo good and cheeeeeeesy. :D

Jenn

• Jessica — May 26th, 2010 @ 7:09 pm

I failed miserably many times, too. I have now perfected the recipe, to my liking at least.

Preheat oven to 350.

I tear up a bunch on kale and lay on a baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray (or olive oil, etc). I prefer sprayed over massaging because spraying gets every last leaf. I then douse it with nutritional yeast – probably 3-4 tablespoons worth, maybe more – until it’s totally coated. I don’t use salt or pepper because I find that the nutritional yeast is ‘salty’ enough.

Bake for 10 minutes, flip and toss a few times, and bake for 10 mins more.

Devour!

Jil — May 26, 2010 @ 3:06 pm

That kale sounds fantastic…but that sandwich sounds amaaaazing! So simply…but love everything on it

Jessica Lee — May 26, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

Haha, good job Jess! I know you dont like your veggies ;)

Wei-Wei — May 26, 2010 @ 3:17 pm

Greens are good! Good job, Jess. Now a liiiiiiiiiittle more bacon would make the ratio juuuuust perfect. ;)

Wei-Wei

Evan Thomas — May 26, 2010 @ 3:27 pm

Major YUM on that one. I will gladly take those vegetables

Joy — May 26, 2010 @ 3:41 pm

Is there a recipe for roasted kale?

• Jessica — May 26th, 2010 @ 7:10 pm

Preheat oven to 350.

Bake for 10 minutes, flip and toss a few times, and bake for 10 mins more.

Devour!

April — May 26, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

Hooray for greens!

homecookedem — May 26, 2010 @ 3:50 pm

Roasted kale IS good!! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 26, 2010 @ 4:10 pm

Yummy sandwich!! I love the combination of bacon and avocado!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — May 26, 2010 @ 4:31 pm

CHOCOLATE!! yes you must add to that!!! i love kale! and I just got nooch so cant wait to use it!

Margarita — May 26, 2010 @ 4:48 pm

Mmmm that looks delicious – it’s also what I have to do to force myself to eat veggies – no chocolate until that broccoli is gone !

Mellissa — May 26, 2010 @ 5:23 pm

Greens and bacon sound like a great combo to me :)

Paige (RAN) — May 26, 2010 @ 5:50 pm

LOVE roasting kale:) Even more than massaged kale!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 26, 2010 @ 7:27 pm

Umm wow. 2 posts a day. Pretty soon I’m gonna call you Insane :) and amazing! xoxo

Ok the cookie post. I dont even like frapp’s from Bucks. That’s the one thing I’ve always been meh. Iced coffee yes, Frapps and whipped bev’s, no. I did love DQ blizzards as a kid but i digress. The cookies look amazing!

The kale chips with nooch. Yes. That would be a staple item around here. I just dip mary’s crackers straight into the nooch bin these days if i need to :)

Sophie @ yumventures — May 26, 2010 @ 8:40 pm

cant say no to roast kale…or bacon. I love your take on veggies, at least you eat yours in the most delicious way possible!

Chris — May 26, 2010 @ 10:35 pm

Kale! *swoon* Kale chips are on the regular menu in my house. LOVE!

Kacy — May 27, 2010 @ 5:48 am

I honestly don’t much care for kale chips, but I think the nooch probably does make all the difference. I need to find some.

• Jessica — May 27th, 2010 @ 5:50 am

It definitely does – I don’t like them without it.

MelissaH — May 27, 2010 @ 6:37 am

I’ve tried about 10 times to make kale chips and I always burn them. I’m sticking with my carrot fries :)
    Love avocado on sandwiches!

Anne — May 27, 2010 @ 8:38 am

OMG! a veggie post :D

Paula — May 28, 2010 @ 10:28 am

that`s absolutely delicious dish!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Afternoon Delight: Gettin’ My Greens. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com