I’ve said it before, but Mr. How Sweet could eat the exact same thing everyday for the rest of his life.

This was the case before I entered his life and led him into the light.

I still have visions of plain ground turkey and stinky egg whites dancing in my head.

I love getting feedback from my recipes.

Whenever I make something new, I grill Mr. How Sweet for about 10 minutes.

I won’t lie – it drives me crazy that he is a man of few words. Except when I want to talk about myself. Which is all the time.

The honey ginger chicken nuggets and buffalo chicken fingers have been such a hit in our house, that I couldn’t wait to try a new combination.

Many evenings, conversations in our house go as follows:

Mr. How Sweet takes a bite, and before he has chewed 4 times I am asking, ‘is it good?’

Uh huh,’ he says with a mouthful of food, eyes glued to the TV.

Uh huh? Well is it really good? Do you love it?’

Yes, it’s really good,‘ still staring at some terrible show on horse racing.

‘Is it better than the last time I made it? It is hot enough? Crispy enough?’

‘I don’t remember what I ate for lunch, let alone the last time you made this. It’s good.’

‘But, it’s just good? Not great? Is it better than ground turkey?’

‘It’s very good! But. . .I really love ground turkey.’

‘Well. . .is it one of the best meals I’ve ever made?’

‘It’s pretty good. But I really liked that crispy, sweet and sour chicken you made.’

‘Wait. I made sweet and sour chicken that wasn’t crispy AND I made crispy ginger chicken. Which one do you mean?’

‘It’s good! CAN YOU JUST LET ME EAT?’

This is about the time that Mr. How Sweet picks up his plate and moves to a different location.

I have no idea why he would do that.

Truth be told, the safest place for him is in the coat closet. I’m afraid that there are monsters in there.

Crispy BBQ Chicken Fingers

1-2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken tenders

2 cups lowfat buttermilk

1/4 cup bbq sauce

2 cups panko bread crumbs

1/4 cup whole wheat flour

2 tablespoons McCormick’s BBQ Seasoning

1 teaspoon sea salt

1 teaspoon garlic powder

Combine buttermilk and BBQ sauce in a baking dish. Add chicken to buttermilk. Marinate for 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 450.

Combine panko, BBQ seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and flour in a large bowl. Coat chicken pieces in panko mix, then lay on a wire rack sitting on a baking sheet. Continue with remaining chicken pieces. Spray each pieces with cooking spray or olive oil.

Bake for 10-12 minutes, flip, coat with cooking spray, and bake for another 10-15 minutes.

When finished, brush with BBQ sauce.

These chicken fingers definitely rank up there with the honey ginger chicken.

But don’t ask Mr. How Sweet.

He will just tell you that they are. . .good.

95 Responses to “Crispy BBQ Chicken Fingers.”

kate — May 12, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

This has to be a guy thing! I only get feedback if he doesnt like it.

Kelly — May 12, 2010 @ 1:16 pm

hahaha i do the exact same thing to my husband and get the same reaction!! we had this convo the other night
    me: how it is?
    him: not like i remembered it.
    me: how so? what’s different? how was it last time? better or worse than you remember?
    him: i don’t remember it last time, but the name made me think it would be breaded chicken… italian chicken tenders.. you know?
    me: what?! how can it be different than last time if you don’t even remember last time?! and when do i ever bread anything?! hmmphh!

(silence – head shaking)

me: well – do you like it?

i’m a delight.

Biz — May 12, 2010 @ 1:50 pm

Love all your tender recipes! Here was a recent scenario at my house:

Hubs: What’s for dinner?
    Biz: Quinoa meatballs with spaghetti squash!
    Hubs: Laughs out loud.
    Biz: Here’s your plate!
    Hubs: Goes to computer and types on twitter “My wife said we were having quinoa meatballs and spaghetti squash for dinner. I thought she was joking. She wasn’t!”

Katie — May 12, 2010 @ 3:32 pm

I grill Mr. YesIwantCake when he is mid-first-bite, too. He does the exact same thing…”yeah, it’s good” – drives me nuts. Probably drives him nuts, too. :-)

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — May 12, 2010 @ 3:49 pm

Oh these look sooo very good!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 12, 2010 @ 4:42 pm

i totally grill scott re swag that i get that i know i will never touch, i.e. whey or dairy this or that, and i put it in his lunch and i ask him how was it.. some days, it’s a fine. other days it’s a what was that crap you gave me. i took a bite and threw it out. he’s my taste tester for stuff i know i can’t even handle :) LOL

megan — May 12, 2010 @ 5:00 pm

If they taste half as good as they look, you’ve knocked the ball out of the park! Great post! I kind of felt like a fly on the wall at your dinner. :)

Katherine — May 12, 2010 @ 7:05 pm

the crisp is so important

I love this recipe or at least the pictures.
    despite being vegetarian, I am in the south and thus required to have an attraction to fried chicken

Dee — May 12, 2010 @ 7:20 pm

Those look so good.

Sarah — May 12, 2010 @ 7:57 pm

LOL! And my oh my this chicken looks good. I’m such a sucker for crispy, breaded . . . anything, really.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 12, 2010 @ 8:23 pm

I have the same conversation with my hubby any time I make anything new :-) Hehe!!!

sophia — May 12, 2010 @ 8:52 pm

Gosh, what would Mr Sweet DO without you? He would be the most boring eater ever without you…what a sad way to live! these sound so good. Crispy and BBQ already rings something pleasantly lickalicious to me!

Linda — May 12, 2010 @ 9:46 pm

I just stumbled across your blog and I’m officially hooked!

Replica Brm Watches,Dvd Boxes — May 12, 2010 @ 11:18 pm

Those look so good.

Tracy — May 13, 2010 @ 6:30 am

Mmm, I wish I had a plate of these right now. Yes I know it’s 9:30 in the morning. But after seeing these I am soooo hungry!!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — May 13, 2010 @ 8:19 am

Hahaha I had great fun reading the post, and all the comments. Seems you’ve written the story of all our lives :) This looks delicious. What can I use instead of the BBQ seasoning? We don’t get that here!

• Jessica — May 13th, 2010 @ 8:42 am

You could do a mix of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and cayenne?

Kirsten — May 24, 2010 @ 12:03 pm

I made this for my BF and he loved it. I make him look at your website with me and send him e-mails of food. Your recipes strike that ever so hard to reach balance between healthy and still really great!!!!!! LOVE THIS!!!!

Jennifer — November 9, 2010 @ 8:13 pm

I just tried this recipe and since I didn’t have barbecue seasoning on hand, I decided to experiment with the flavors. I followed your recipe exact except I used Caribbean Jerk seasoning and marinated it for the 2 hours. It was fabulous!!

Samantha — January 9, 2011 @ 11:25 pm

I just found your blog (through TasteSpotting) and I love it! I made the BBQ chicken fingers and they were delicious! I can’t wait to make your tribute to Elvis bars this week!

Kim — January 16, 2011 @ 7:51 pm

Hi Jessica!

I just wanted to thank you for such a DELICIOUS recipe!! I made these last night and am officially in love!

Katie @ The Well-Fed Newlyweds — February 2, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

Made these last week, and we LOVED them! I didn’t have any of the BBQ seasoning mix so I substituted some onion powder, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper (in addition to the garlic powder and sea salt already in the recipe). We will be making these again and again. Thanks Jessica!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 29, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

I’m pretty sure these chicken fingers have the ability to save my marriage when I buy too much.

Maris (In Good Taste) — April 21, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

he is one lucky guy! Those look amazing!

WenDee Riffe — June 13, 2011 @ 2:18 pm

LOL!!! you sound just like me when i make something new~~Rob gets grilled and questioned to the point he hopes that i never make anything new again!!!!LOL!!! i am gonna try these this week!!!

Laurie — February 12, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

Ha! Thats hilarious, I had that same conversation with my husband last night when I made your beer BBQ chicken recipe. So do you like it? No, like really like it or just so, so like it? Is it your favorite? So should I make this again? No, yes? PLEASE TELL ME NOW! His head continued to nod for each question as he watched the TV. He would eat frozen pizza every day if he could, while of course never gaining a pound. I on the other hand cannot, so this crazy recipe search for the husband with a child-like taste for food continues…

Mallorca — December 1, 2012 @ 2:29 am

I enjoy reading your writings, looking at the food pics pics and reading the recipes. I laugh out loud, literally!