Most days I want sweets.

I know. That’s a lie.

Every day I want sweets. My sweet teeth cry if they don’t get what they want.

But in order to keep my sanity, my husband, and my current wardrobe, I eat some not-so-decadent and somewhat-healthy desserts. Hey, it’s still dessert.

Enter sweet quesadillas.

I crisped the cinnamon tortillas in a skillet on the stove, but I am sure it would also work in the oven.

The tortillas alone are enough to make you swoon. There is something about cinnamon and toasty bread or chips. It reminds me of eating cinnamon toast when I was younger. I can’t wait to pass that on.

Mr. How Sweet will probably attempt to pass that on when our kids are just 16 minutes out of the womb.

He assumes that babies feed themselves (a piece of steak, of course – with a fork) at about 3 months, and usually are walking and riding bikes by 6 months.

I am only sort-of kidding.

His usual first words when seeing a baby being fed are ‘can’t that kid feed himself yet?’

Pray for me. And our future children.

And in the meantime, make some of these chocolate-peanut butter quesadillas. Because there is no better combination.

Unless you add bacon.

Dessert Quesadillas

2 whole wheat tortillas

1 tablespoon butter

2 teaspoons cinnamon

2 tablespoons peanut butter

2 tablespoons chocolate chips

1 tablespoon honey

1/4 cup whipped cream

Spread butter on one side of each tortillas and sprinkle with cinnamon. Heat a skillet on medium heat, spray with cooking spray and crisp until golden brown.

While still warm, spread one tortilla (cinnamon side up) with peanut butter, top with chocolate chips, and added a drizzle of honey. Place other tortilla on top.

Serve with whipped cream drizzled with honey for dipping.

I think some fruit would also be delicious in this quesadilla.

Mr. How Sweet says no to fruit, and yes to meat.

To him, meat = dessert.

68 Responses to “Dessert Quesadillas.”

Courtney (Pancakes & Postcards) — May 10, 2010 @ 6:07 am

This is delicious. I almost started drooling thinking about a banana nutella cinnamon quesadilla… and then I remembered I would have to homemake the tortillas first (can´t buy them where I live). Decisions, decisions… this looks AMAZING though!!!

julia — May 10, 2010 @ 6:08 am

My husband thinks we can put a lid on the crib so they won’t sneak out. We don’t have kids yet…Clearly. And like your husband, he is only sort of joking :) I grew up eating dessert quesadillas, they are such a simple TASTY treat, but mine never had peanut butter, they will now!

Ilana — May 10, 2010 @ 6:15 am

O.M.G.
    drooling.
    Seriously might have to try this!

Don’t worry, my man says exactly the same thing about babies being fed. Can’t wait to see howwww shocked he is (ok maybe I can wait).

bellini valli — May 10, 2010 @ 6:36 am

My mind is racing with ideas for these cinnamon quesadillas. I am envisioning strawberries and nutella:D

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — May 10, 2010 @ 6:37 am

That is so funny! Trust me, you guys will be great with kids. You both seem to work so well together and that is what makes it work! As for the tortillas…my youngest loves the peanut butter chocolate on tortilla combo. I do the easy cheater method…flour tortilla smeared with peanut butter and then nutella on top…then toast it in the broiler. It gets all bubbly and yummy. My youngest eats it for breakfast, although other days he eats steak for breakfast too. Maybe you will have one like mine…god help you!

Erica — May 10, 2010 @ 6:57 am

mmmmmmmmmmmm – I know I would absolutely love this dessert, especially with some strawberries added (just sounds like the perfect combo).

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — May 10, 2010 @ 7:07 am

What a fantastic, simplistic idea. And, I always have these ingredients around, so it’s perfect when in a jam (no pun intended). You never cease to amaze me!

Wei-Wei — May 10, 2010 @ 7:09 am

Yummy! I just made my own peanut butter, and it’s not quite peanut “butter” like (it’s more like peanut crumble :S) so I can’t spread it on bread… this looks like the perfect way to use it up! I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow morning. Thanks! :D

Wei-Wei

Jil — May 10, 2010 @ 7:21 am

These – literally – made my mouth water…amazing pics, girl.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 10, 2010 @ 7:33 am

um, SWOON is right! holy delicious! this comes at a great time when i have a ridiculous amount of tortillas laying around the house and NO NEED for mexican food at all!

Maria — May 10, 2010 @ 7:34 am

Fabulous dessert!

Jessica — May 10, 2010 @ 7:38 am

This looks amazing! I am definately making it as soon as possible.
    Thank you for having creative and shamelessly sweet recipes every time. :)

Lauren @ Dragonflies Journey — May 10, 2010 @ 7:42 am

These look devine! I will be making these for breakfast this weekend, I believe!

Biz — May 10, 2010 @ 7:43 am

Yep – my husband is the same way – meat as an appetizer, entree and dessert!

What a great idea! My daughter would love this.

Happy Monday!

ERin at The Healthy Apron — May 10, 2010 @ 7:47 am

I kind of wish I hadn’t read this post yet. I’m on an ultimate dessert kick and this would really satisfy right now! Stupid job lol

megan — May 10, 2010 @ 8:09 am

I could go for one of those for breakfast. With some strawberries, YUM!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — May 10, 2010 @ 8:12 am

Oh mannnn Jessica! The gooey-ness of the chocolate in that last picture… major swoonage

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — May 10, 2010 @ 8:21 am

haha I am not so sure about how good meat would be in there…but the chocolate oozing out alone is BEAUTIFUL!!!! :) I want some! this sounds like the perfect dessert…or breakfast…or dinner ;)

xoxo

Katrina — May 10, 2010 @ 8:33 am

The photo of the chocolate melting out of the quesadilla makes me go wild! I want these noooowwww!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 10, 2010 @ 8:37 am

Lol– some funny things come out of my hub’s mouth when we watch Sophie. I’m kind of looking at her as a trial run…maybe by the time we have kids of our own, he won’t be so…innocent?

Maybe not. :-)

Sara — May 10, 2010 @ 8:43 am

Oh wow, these would be dangerous in my house! I could eat these all day long.

Kate @ Cozydelicious — May 10, 2010 @ 9:15 am

Yum! I would go for fruit in them too, though. But how funny… to me, meat does not equal dessert, but o each his own! I’m thinking maybe some lively strawberries in here.

Diana — May 10, 2010 @ 9:20 am

Oh my god, this looks amazing!

MelissaNibbles — May 10, 2010 @ 9:31 am

I make this all the time! I usually have vanilla Greek yogurt on the side instead of whipped cream though :)

Camille — May 10, 2010 @ 9:35 am

Is it wrong that I am making this for lunch today? Nope :)

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — May 10, 2010 @ 9:40 am

Wow….now those looks amazing!!! Truly!

Allison — May 10, 2010 @ 9:58 am

I love this idea! What a great way to use up leftover tortillas. Yum yum!

That Kind Of Girl — May 10, 2010 @ 10:15 am

We’re totally on the same sweet-quesadilla wavelength. The other day I decided I wanted dessert for dinner (what else is new?) and made a goat cheese and raspberry jam quesadilla. Heaven. Utter heaven.

Anne — May 10, 2010 @ 10:35 am

Ahhhh! I’m in the process of thinking what I should have for dessert and I want this!!! :P

Kacy — May 10, 2010 @ 10:39 am

Holy crap. So amazing.

And that’s hilarious about Mr. How Sweet and babies. I’m actually kind of the same way. Babies are mystical creatures to me.

Mellissa — May 10, 2010 @ 10:42 am

Drooling at my desk and REALLY wanting chocolate now.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 10, 2010 @ 10:56 am

dessert quesa, that’s my speed girl!

the last pic of you and your mom and you in your wedding dress = drop dead gorgeous!!!!!!!!!

hope you didnt work too hard this weekend!

xo

Katie — May 10, 2010 @ 11:06 am

Oh holy yum, yum, yum. My mom used to make me cinnamon/sugar quesadillas when I was little for dessert, but this is taking it to a whole other level. My sweet teeth thank you. :-)

Jessie (Vegan-minded) — May 10, 2010 @ 11:31 am

I love sweet quesadillas! I have made them before with peanut butter and banana, but chocolate sounds like a wonderful addition. How delicious! :)

Blond Duck — May 10, 2010 @ 11:52 am

Oh my God. I’m trading the chocolate for caramel and making these SOON!

Nicole, RD — May 10, 2010 @ 12:19 pm

Yum, you’re baaad…and I like it!!!

stephchows — May 10, 2010 @ 1:00 pm

mmmmmmm now that is a perfect dessert for sure!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — May 10, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

I wish you lived next door to me so I could share all of these with you! I was talking to a colleague today ( I gave her your site) and we were talking about all of your amazing incredible desserts :)

Samantha @ Foodedu — May 10, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

Those look so good! Reminds me of some mexican apple enchiladas I made once—cinnamon & tortillas is a great combo!

marla {family fresh cooking} — May 10, 2010 @ 1:55 pm

Fruit is over rated….just give me this gooey chocolate carby yum yum!!! as is. xo

Lindsay — May 10, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

Okay new here!!! LOVE it :) Those look so YUMMY!!!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 10, 2010 @ 2:34 pm

OOOOOOOMG…. please excuse me while I find a tissue to wipe the drool that is coming out of my mouth right now! Those look DELICIOUS!!! Glad to see someone as crazed about cinnamon as I am! :)

homecookedem — May 10, 2010 @ 3:30 pm

I. want. one. now!!!!! :)

Lisa — May 10, 2010 @ 4:16 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOH how delicious! And what a great idea :) Thankyou for sharing!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health — May 10, 2010 @ 4:21 pm

That looks really great!

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — May 10, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

What a great idea! I bet these would be great for the kiddies!

vanillasugar — May 10, 2010 @ 6:02 pm

you know you should really try this with crepes. trust me you would love them.

tasteofbeirut — May 10, 2010 @ 6:43 pm

I am like you, actually I spent most of my life eating mostly chocolate. How I am not fat is a mystery. Anyhow your quesadillas look just what I could have for breakfast tomorrow morning!

Erica @ Fashion meets Food — May 10, 2010 @ 7:45 pm

Wow that looks so good!!! I need to avoid sweet though even though I crave them constantly lol.

xo

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — May 10, 2010 @ 8:20 pm

You would!

Hehe, love it!!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Dessert Quesadillas: -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Quesadillas | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Quesadillas de chocolate : Recetín

4. Pingback: Sweet Tortilla Crepes with Homemade Whipped Cream « Avocado – Pesto