It’s no secret that I adore functional workouts.

In my opinion, there is no workout tougher than throwing your own weight around.

Even though I am usually on the verge of vomiting post-functional workout, nothing makes me feel better or more in-shape.

Functional workouts make everyday activities easier and can help to prevent sport-sustained injuries. Many functional workouts can be customized for specific sports.

I enjoy making up my own combos to keep things exciting. I must be delusional.

Functional Fun

5 minute jog

30 seconds high knees

30 seconds jumping jacks w/ kicks

20 walking lunges w/ medicine ball twist

10 burpees

15 overhead presses w/ band

20 squats

10 push-ups

30 seconds mountain climbers

5 tuck jumps

30 seconds russian twists w/ medicine ball

60 second plank hold

REPEAT

15 Responses to “Fitness Kick Start: Functional Fun.”

Jenny — May 24, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

I hear ya! Using my body weight and moving my butt makes me sweat the most!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 24, 2010 @ 5:07 pm

Burpees and mountain climbers…those KILL me. :-)

Mary (A Merry Life) — May 24, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

Oh man, I had no idea you had a fitness side to the blog! I thought it was just yummy food! That’s great to know. :) Functional workouts are the best. I detest mountain climbers… for some reason that’s my least favorite exercise ever.

Wei-Wei — May 24, 2010 @ 5:09 pm

I like using bodyweight because I don’t have any equipment at home, nor do I have a gym near where I live. Thanks for this workout! I’ll try it today. :)

Um, just a few questions… what are russian twists?

Wei-Wei

Jil — May 24, 2010 @ 5:10 pm

Agreed – I like using my own body weight because … well, it’s cheaper than equipment! haha Plus, it works and that’s what matters.

april — May 24, 2010 @ 5:12 pm

I love doing those moves for tabata! It’s tough!!

Yum Yucky — May 24, 2010 @ 5:13 pm

good gawsh! I’m already tired just reading that. I do 99% bodyweight workouts. “Functional” is my middle name. (or is that dis-functional??)

Megan@EatScrapRun — May 24, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

That is a great workout to do at home – thanks! It reminds me of the types of workouts I used to do with my trainer, but this will be free :)

Eliana — May 24, 2010 @ 5:39 pm

This is a kick ass workout – thanks so much for sharing.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 24, 2010 @ 6:33 pm

oh God, i’m sore just reading that workout…probably means i should do it or something…

katie — May 24, 2010 @ 6:55 pm

LOVE THIS JESS!!! ahh burpies HURT ME! ahaha but they are so goooood you

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibbl) — May 25, 2010 @ 5:52 am

Great workout- I love ‘em short and sweet!

xo
    K

MelissaNibbles — May 25, 2010 @ 6:24 am

Love this! Plyo’s are my new fave exercises.

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — May 27, 2010 @ 11:40 am

If this is the kind of workout you enjoy, you will love Insanity…it’s this crazy DVD set that I now swear by. It’s great because this crazy man pushes you! Better than me counting on myself to get through it. xxSAS

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Fitness Kick Start: Functional Fun. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com